PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain why it is Black History Month on CNN?? Is this to mask healthcare

MojoRisen
7/22/2009, 11:22 PM
I am flipping the channels around to get a decent consensus on the healthcare bait and switch that came out of the president tonight and all fox is doing is crushing the prez and even the democratic analyst are on board in calling him deceptive and eloquent!

I turn it to CNN and they are doing a 6 hour thingy on being black in America- is this to mask the dreadful reviews thus far on the Presidents Healthcare plan or am I just trippin?

I have no issue with the programming being on, but personally I feel that a whole month is a lot and this is just a ploy by CNN too rally the black community around Obama's Pig with lipstick.

Please tell me I am wrong -

Crucifax Autumn
7/23/2009, 12:34 AM
Technically you are. They've had this thing planned and scheduled for a long time and have been running promos for months about how since the first one was such a hit that they just HAD to do another one.

My problem is the way they pre-empt the actual news for it. They shoulda ran it on the weekend when their evening schedule is less news already. I flipped over looking for actual news coverage and got this shat, which I would find interesting on a Saturday night, but not during the time I usually spend on a very specific rotation of tv news sources watching the differences in coverage from source to source and putting together all that information to come to a conclusion somewhere in the center of them all.

The amateur sociologist in me DOES find these documentaries interesting though.

yermom
7/23/2009, 03:02 AM
i thought that was in February?

Crucifax Autumn
7/23/2009, 03:21 AM
It is...

CNN has the sequel to their Black in America documentary on. I actually think it's well-done, but the question is the timing. They scheduled this long ago so it's not some distraction intentionally. It is, however, an unintentional distraction from current news, and shoulda been on at a time that people aren't turning on CNN for news.

As for the february thing and the actual black history month, I actually prefer that they spread it out if they are serious. Some single month segregation for issues effecting a large portion of our population is stupid. They are better served by infrequent stories throughout the year as opposed to the media saturation that occurs during that one month.

adoniijahsooner
7/23/2009, 07:20 AM
It is...

CNN has the sequel to their Black in America documentary on. I actually think it's well-done, but the question is the timing. They scheduled this long ago so it's not some distraction intentionally. It is, however, an unintentional distraction from current news, and shoulda been on at a time that people aren't turning on CNN for news.

As for the february thing and the actual black history month, I actually prefer that they spread it out if they are serious. Some single month segregation for issues effecting a large portion of our population is stupid. They are better served by infrequent stories throughout the year as opposed to the media saturation that occurs during that one month.

Couldnt agree more.

1890MilesToNorman
7/23/2009, 07:53 AM
CNN is banned in my house, ABC, NBC and CBS news is also banned. I am happier for it.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/23/2009, 08:01 AM
CNN is banned in my house, ABC, NBC and CBS news is also banned. I am happier for it.

You know by banning those channels, you are driving your children to liberalism. Kids are probably sneaking over to friend's house to watch Anderson Cooper :P

yermom
7/23/2009, 11:20 AM

add Fox to that list, and it's basically the same at my house

MR2-Sooner86
7/23/2009, 11:31 AM

No not you! You seem like the Fox type and I'm sure at night you can't wait for O'Reiley and Hannity to come on with a big bag of popcorn :D

swardboy
7/23/2009, 11:41 AM

You're missing much eye-candy....er, alternative to the drive-by media.

Sooner24
7/23/2009, 05:23 PM
Because we can't have white history month?

King Crimson
7/23/2009, 08:24 PM
Because we can't have white history month?

nobody seemed to miss the extended periods of time that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have "disappeared" from the news for weeks at a time over the last half-decade. including Fox.

when over 90% of national news passes through PR agencies or issues from "press releases" from the gov, regardless of administration or party, i think that's a legit question.