PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Road Game This Season?

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2009, 05:48 PM
Well, I can't wait anymore but in the mean time I have to keep myself busy. I was wondering what you people may think of as the hardest game on the road this season. I took Texas out because it's kind of a given. Yes, stranger things have happened but I wanted to talk about some of the others. I'm just asking questions, you don't have to answer but I'd like to hear what games you guys are worried about and have concerns with?

BYU @ Arlington
Could the fact that it's a new field, never been played on, and closed in play any sort of factor?

Miami (FL) @ Miami
Could Miami's D give the new Sooner O-line fits enough to cause trouble?

Kansas @ Lawrence
Haven't they pretty much run out of steam?

Nebraska @ Lincoln
Could Pelin have turned it around enough to give us fits in their backyard?

Texas Tech @ Lubbock
We haven't won down there since 2003.

soonersam
7/22/2009, 05:56 PM
Miami will be exciting because of the tradition but lets face it, going to Lubock is tough and they get up for us down there!!!

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 05:57 PM
good thread.

I think it has to come down to Nebraska..... Kansas won't be that great, their stadium is not big enough to be a factor....

so my vote goes to @ Nebraska

no way we lose 3 in a row at tech....

Miami will be interesting... but i think they are still 2 years away from anything.

thread = 5 stars

MojoRisen
7/22/2009, 05:59 PM
I think I would go with Nebraska as well, Miami will be tough but we will know right away how tough with thier early schedule.

However I may change to Kansas because they owned us on Offense last year - we could not stop them and they have everyone back on O.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 06:01 PM
Todd and Brisco make me nervous for sure...

soonersam
7/22/2009, 06:03 PM
I think I would go with Nebraska as well, Miami will be tough but we will know right away how tough with thier early schedule.

However I may change to Kansas because they owned us on Offense last year - we could not stop them and they have everyone back on O.

Didnt they lose several guys from the O??

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 06:04 PM
couple Oliners

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 06:06 PM
My vote (shoulda been a poll) is TT in Lubbock.

Though there's something about Miami in Miami that's skeery.

Boomer Mooner
7/22/2009, 06:10 PM
I'm really looking forward to the Nebraska and Miami games but Tech at Lubbock always bothers me. You don't think they will hold a grudge for the crushing we gave them last year do you?

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 06:11 PM
Hopefully it's not a "gameday" game in Miami...... possible game day competition.

week 5 big games

LSU at Georgia
USC at California (most likely)

sooner518
7/22/2009, 06:13 PM
i thought Tech was supposed to kinda suck this year. Regardless, I think Kansas will be the toughest.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 06:14 PM
Tech will go 7-5 in my opinion, during the regular season... but they would love to kill OUr national title hopes like they did in 2007

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2009, 06:15 PM

Damn I didn't know that! I figured they lost a few guys at O. Well crap.

SoonerBacker
7/22/2009, 06:17 PM
I don't really know why, but the Miami game is the one that has me worried. Maybe it's just the memories of how good they used to be.

josh09
7/22/2009, 06:28 PM
I always get a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach every time we visit good ole' Lubbock (psht). It's a scary place to play, but i think this year we can beat them.

Miami is going to want some revenge, but let's face it, they dont have the weapons (at least for this year).

BYU is going to be a tough one. They're a good team, but our defense should be able to shut them down when it counts. We need to get off on the right foot, but we have to be careful at the same time in this game.

Kansas.....lol Mangino.

Nebraska is STILL rebuilding....i think. So lets beat them as much as possible before they get back to their old selves. Which is what im expecting us to do.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 06:30 PM
can i say none of them scare me???:D

BOOMER

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2009, 06:34 PM
I always get a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach every time we visit good ole' Lubbock (psht). It's a scary place to play, but i think this year we can beat them.

We should be able to beat them but...you never know down there.

Miami is going to want some revenge, but let's face it, they dont have the weapons (at least for this year).

Not on offense but what about their defense? From what I understand isn't their front 4 suppose to be pretty good?

BYU is going to be a tough one. They're a good team, but our defense should be able to shut them down when it counts. We need to get off on the right foot, but we have to be careful at the same time in this game.

Kansas.....lol Mangino.

Nebraska is STILL rebuilding....i think. So lets beat them as much as possible before they get back to their old selves. Which is what im expecting us to do.

I know this is completely different but still, in his 2nd year Stoops was rebuilding and got a National Championship. Again, I know it's far fetched but we don't know what he has done up there in the offseason.

oudivesherpa
7/22/2009, 07:18 PM
Everyone thinks BYU will be a blow out. I don't. One of the things that makes OU offense hard to defend is lack of recoginition with just a week to prepare during the regular season but BYU will have the entire offseason, also Stoops will not try to put any wrinkles into the offense during the first game.

I think the game plan will be just the basic offense, and play smash mouth on defense. I look for a low scoring affair, well if you call OU scoring 35 low, but low for OU. Something like 35-24 OU. But it won't be as close as it sounds, most of BYU points will come after the game is out of reach.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/22/2009, 07:19 PM

That was right after Reynolds went down! Growing pains!!!

MojoRisen
7/22/2009, 07:23 PM
True, but still - those guys if the weather is good can score and we better bring our A game. I remember them out of nowhere damn near and really did beat a good Texas team that was BCS bound.

CBUS_SOONER
7/22/2009, 08:01 PM
Its Kansas for me... They played us tough last yr at home.

Eielson
7/22/2009, 08:17 PM
Basically all our home games are easy, and all our non-home games are tough. That is so weird how that worked out. We also happened to get the two toughest teams from the North. We are not going to have an easy path at all to the NC.

I'd say that the Lubbock game is the most likely game for us to lose. They're always dangerous, and their officiating always sucks. Awful reviews cost us the last two games down there. Many other games we could possibly lose though, but none I would ever pick us to lose.

sooner ngintunr
7/22/2009, 08:33 PM
Its gotta be lubbock after what we did to them and their season last year.

and lately we get screwed down there one way or another

sooner ngintunr
7/22/2009, 08:37 PM
Its Kansas for me... They played us tough last yr at home.

Dude!! we rolled em, without Manny!!!

That wasn't even a game.

BoulderSooner79
7/22/2009, 08:52 PM
Miami continues to pull in top recruiting classes and a top skill position player can have a big game and make the difference. Plus it's an early season game with little experience gained by our wet-behind-the-ears O-line.
So Miami gets my vote.

MojoRisen
7/22/2009, 09:22 PM
Dude!! we rolled em, without Manny!!!

That wasn't even a game.

I think at one point it was 31 all and Kansas had the momentum. I will give it that Rynolds was out and Harris wasn't ready to be a Linebacker for that game.

I also think Nebraska has a little revenge on their minds from the arse kicking of epic proportion we gave them last year. They rebounded and went on to win the rest of their games I believe.

sooner ngintunr
7/22/2009, 09:33 PM
I think at one point it was 31 all and Kansas had the momentum. I will give it that Rynolds was out and Harris wasn't ready to be a Linebacker for that game.

I also think Nebraska has a little revenge on their minds from the arse kicking of epic proportion we gave them last year. They rebounded and went on to win the rest of their games I believe.

31-24 at one time, then we shut em down 4 series in row, they got a TD in garbage time.

it was 45-24 going into the last minute of the game.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 09:49 PM
true that Sooner nginturnr. .... we gave up a bunch of late minute meaningless garbage TDs

sooner ngintunr
7/22/2009, 10:04 PM
true that Sooner nginturnr. .... we gave up a bunch of late minute meaningless garbage TDs

well when you are up 62-14, who cares.:D

It did make our defense seem "weaker" stat wise though, which gives idjit non-fans and talking heads easy ammo. I watched every game though, our (healthy) defense was just fine, special teams now that was another story.

Our defense should be very good this year, If we could just hold down our opp to the magic number of 21 ppg, we will be set!!

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 10:06 PM
yup the important thing is we played great against Tech, Mizzou, and Florida on D

finished strong

CowboyMRW
7/22/2009, 10:21 PM
Basically all our home games are easy, and all our non-home games are tough. That is so weird how that worked out. We also happened to get the two toughest teams from the North. We are not going to have an easy path at all to the NC.

I'd say that the Lubbock game is the most likely game for us to lose. They're always dangerous, and their officiating always sucks. Awful reviews cost us the last two games down there. Many other games we could possibly lose though, but none I would ever pick us to lose.

This is my first post on here but do you really think the OSU game will be easy cause I think that game has Big 12 Championship implications and NC hopes on it but I think everyone will be chasing Florida this year

jumperstop
7/22/2009, 11:18 PM
Miami or Nebraska

Crucifax Autumn
7/23/2009, 12:52 AM
This is my first post on here but do you really think the OSU game will be easy cause I think that game has Big 12 Championship implications and NC hopes on it but I think everyone will be chasing Florida this year

It will appear on the surface to be a big important game and it will seem that OU and Junior are fighting for the Big 12 and the MNC and all that. When the game is over it will expose Junior as a pretender who managed to seem good all season by beating overrated competition, and they will lose big and fold and bend over in their bowl game while OU wins another conference championship game and goes on to a second consecutive MNC game.

WA. Sooner
7/23/2009, 01:12 AM
Tech because their goal lines move

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 01:17 AM
Tech because their goal lines move

:D

hopefully we don't give them that chance this year.....

MrJimBeam
7/23/2009, 05:57 AM
Miami. The game will probably be at night and the natives will be banging on drums and howling at the moon. Tough place to win.

SoonerPr8r
7/23/2009, 07:13 AM
Most of the teams we played last year want revenge,but I would have to say that the hardest road games would be a tie between Miami (because its in Miami) and Kansas. Kansas is trying a new defensive scheme that could cause problems for our passing game if they have their new system figured out by then.

Originally Posted by CowboyMRW View Post

I have seen Gumby coach twice in Norman and for some reason he looses his backbone and coaches scared down here. If he can go undefeated or maybe just 1 loss going into that game it could give him some courage and make it a tough game.

btw since Gundy and his immovable hair is now 42 does that mean he is no longer just "a man" and now "the answer"? Only thing is what is the question?

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/23/2009, 07:58 AM
According to Cowherd...we have already lost to BYU ;)

soonerfan28
7/23/2009, 08:19 AM
I'll go w/Nebraska. After last season they have some confidence, but they also have a new QB. Their defense will give us somewhat of a challenge.

htownsooner7
7/23/2009, 08:44 AM
BYU and Texas at neutral fields. At Miami, Kansas, Nebraska, and Texas Tech. Oklahoma State at home. Okie St and UT are preseason top 10. BYU is top 20. At least one (and maybe more) of Miami, Kansas, Nebraska will be in the top 25 this year. We must have one of the tougest schedules in the country.

soonerfan28
7/23/2009, 08:52 AM
BYU and *Texas* at neutral fields. At Miami, Kansas, Nebraska, and *Texas* Tech. Oklahoma State at home. Okie St and UT are preseason top 10. BYU is top 20. At least one (and maybe more) of Miami, Kansas, Nebraska will be in the top 25 this year. We must have one of the tougest schedules in the country.

Yea, but we don't play in the SEC and we all know they are the greatest ever.:D

adoniijahsooner
7/23/2009, 09:27 AM
Miami continues to pull in top recruiting classes and a top skill position player can have a big game and make the difference. Plus it's an early season game with little experience gained by our wet-behind-the-ears O-line.
So Miami gets my vote.

We have a bye week before we head to Miami; we will kill Miami. Kansas needs to replace there O-line and LB's, and Tech will be average this year. Nebraska will be toughest imo.

badger
7/23/2009, 09:51 AM
I vote Dallas' RRS. Don't tell me it's a neutral site if it's in the state of Texazterisk. Don't tell me you won by double digits like you won by 50 when you really won by two scores. Don't tell me a three-way-tie should be broken by a single game like the entire season doesn't matter. Don't tell me you're a premiere program when your coach can't even win more than a single conference championship.

:les: BEAT TEXAZ![hairGel]

SoonerPr8r
7/23/2009, 09:56 AM
Yea, but we don't play in the SEC and we all know they are the greatest ever.:D

They will not play anyone in a major conference out of mercy. They know that they are so great that they would just ruin the seasons dozens of major teams. Aren't they swell?:rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/23/2009, 10:05 AM
Seriously!!! The best team we play...wouldn't win any conference games in the SEC!!

ouleaf
7/23/2009, 10:33 AM
If Mangino is hungy, I'd be most worried about Kansas.

If he's not, I'll go with Tech out in Lubbock. You just never know.

SoonerTank
7/23/2009, 10:46 AM
I know everyone is talking about the hardest game for the players, but the hardest game is the next game. I'm confident in my sooners but also know that sh*t happens. Until the game is ticking away in the 4th quarter and we're ahead comfortably, it's the hardest game.

adoniijahsooner
7/23/2009, 11:22 AM
I know everyone is talking about the hardest game for the players, but the hardest game is the next game. I'm confident in my sooners but also know that sh*t happens. Until the game is ticking away in the 4th quarter and we're ahead comfortably, it's the hardest game.

We understand that you are new to the board; but in order for you to have made your way into this thread, you had to have read the topic; and the topic says in bold print, "Hardest Road Game This Season?". That may be why everyone is talking about the hardest road game this season. You are welcomed to start a thread that reads "The next game is the hardest; and sometimes **** happens." But dont insult everyone for following orders. :D

illinisooner
7/23/2009, 11:36 AM
True Road Games

1. Miami
2. Nebraska
3. Tech
4. Kansas

Overall Toughest

1. Texas (obviously)
2. OSU
3. at Miami
4. at Nebraska
5. BYU
6. Kansas
7. at Tech
8. Baylor
9. A&M
10. Kansas St
11. Tulsa
12. Idaho St

For the record, you could probably interchange 8-11...I don't think there's much difference in the toughness of the game when we play against those teams. Yeah we haven't beaten Tech in 6 years at Lubbock, but consider the circumstances (we didn't actually lose in 05/Sam knocked out in 07) of those games and the fact that they won't be too great this year. Miami and Nebraska will be tougher games than the national media think, as both are tough places to win in and both teams are "on the rise". Question: Is the Kansas game in Lawrence or in KC like it was in 05?

SoonerTank
7/23/2009, 11:39 AM
We understand that you are new to the board; but in order for you to have made your way into this thread, you had to have read the topic; and the topic says in bold print, "Hardest Road Game This Season?". That may be why everyone is talking about the hardest road game this season. You are welcomed to start a thread that reads "The next game is the hardest; and sometimes **** happens." But dont insult everyone for following orders. :D

I understand and apologize if I have insluted anyone for going out on a tangent on this subject. Although I have very few posts, I have been a lurker since 2000 coming back state side, when this board was (of course) a different board. To you and anyone else who was offended, I sincerely apologize.:O

adoniijahsooner
7/23/2009, 11:47 AM
I understand and apologize if I have insluted anyone for going out on a tangent on this subject. Although I have very few posts, I have been a lurker since 2000 coming back state side, when this board was (of course) a different board. To you and anyone else who was offended, I sincerely apologize.:O

i was kidding around; you'll find the veterans will take you off topic quicker than anyone else. It's quite a marvel when you witness it.

cvsooner
7/23/2009, 11:50 AM
I believe the Kansas game is in Lawrence. All the road games scare me, anymore, but I think Kansas worries me the most at this point in the season. Mangino is an excellent coach, the program is maturing, Reesing and Briscoe are great athletes, AND...it's the week after Texas. After all that hype, it's a prime letdown game.

Yeah, Tech can be problematic, too, but right now, today, I'd say Kansas scares me the most.

yermom
7/23/2009, 12:03 PM
i think we'll outscore Kansas. i think Nebraska's likely to give us more fits with their defense in Lincoln

we should be taking a veteran QB into Lubbock. if he's healthy, i'm not too worried. both of our losses there were flukes. not to get all Coach Takeaknee but the wind in 2005 was insane, and we are talking about Bomar here but we still almost won that game. Sam goes out early 2 years later and Halzle almost pulls it out for us. nothing stupid happens this year and it's heavily in our favor.

Miami i don't know anything about. my gut says somewhere between Nebraska and Tech. i'm a little nervous, but i was nervous in 2007 too. i hate Miami. we still owe them a few. i hope we beat them by 50

Eielson
7/23/2009, 12:11 PM

I said basically. Other than that game, it's almost perfectly accurate to say home game=easy, road game=tough

Eielson
7/23/2009, 12:15 PM
So basically to add to what I was saying, if you were to agree with this rating (which I don't as far as order, but 1-7 as a group and 8-12 as a group I do agree)-

1. *Texas* (obviously)- away
2. OSU- home
3. at Miami- away
4. at Nebraska- away
5. BYU- away
6. Kansas- away
7. at Tech- away
8. Baylor- home
9. A&M- home
10. Kansas St- home
11. Tulsa- home
12. Idaho St- home

Then if you add in Big XII Championship Game and our Bowl game, we have two more tough games away from home.

yermom
7/23/2009, 12:40 PM
while BYU and Texas are in the Dallas area, neither are really "away" games

if BYU isn't outnumberd 4:1 i'd be VERY surprised.

and UT has to go just as far as we do to get to Dallas.

oudivesherpa
7/23/2009, 12:41 PM
BYU and *Texas* at neutral fields. At Miami, Kansas, Nebraska, and *Texas* Tech. Oklahoma State at home. Okie St and UT are preseason top 10. BYU is top 20. At least one (and maybe more) of Miami, Kansas, Nebraska will be in the top 25 this year. We must have one of the tougest schedules in the country.

According to Phil Steele's College Football Preview OU has the third toughest schedule in the country. South Carolina and Fla State are one and two.

SoonerKnight
7/23/2009, 06:28 PM
I believe that if our D plays as good as it did aginst Florida every game. If the kids truly want to get back to the NC gme and win it then I believe we keep our opponents down to minimum points. We have done it before. OSU is in Norman we will win. I am confident. Kansas returns on O but actually loss people on their D.

texaz can suck it! But really they will be a tough game but what I saw last year was the making of a really potent D. BYU if it is a shootout then I am wrong about our D. I think that if our D is as tough as it showed at the end of last year BYU will be lucky to score 14 points.

I think our D will be really good. I think Speacial teams will be really good. I think the O-line will be adequate enough to let our O run wild. I think this is our year. Look in years past we had people by the tons leave. We would have a good year and then lose our best D players and start over. QB problems etc.... This year we have a stellar O. We have a monster of a D and we have youth plus experience. Plus this team is going to be angry. I could be wrong but I do not think so.

Eielson
7/23/2009, 06:38 PM
while BYU and *Texas* are in the Dallas area, neither are really "away" games

if BYU isn't outnumberd 4:1 i'd be VERY surprised.

and UT has to go just as far as we do to get to Dallas.

What I meant was "away from home." Not necessarily away in the way we usually think of it.

MamaMia
7/23/2009, 06:53 PM
I'm going to say Miami. Their QB got injured on that clean hit in Norman, so they have revenge on their minds.

soonerfan28
7/24/2009, 09:01 AM
I still think Nebraska will be the hardest road game. They've sold out every game for like the last 85 years and those fans are hungry for greatness once again. It won't really matter because this ain't 1994 and they haven't had the athletes for a great team in almost 10 years, but it'll still be a good game.

JLEW1818
7/24/2009, 11:03 AM
ditto

ndpruitt03
7/24/2009, 12:08 PM
I'll say Tech. They always just replace their guys with other guys that do the same job, and that game will be late in the year. We've had a lot of trouble in Lubbock in recent years. Miami is still young, they'll make enough mistakes for us to win, Kansas will be tough, but we should win, Nebraska has a QB to replace and still has defensive issues.

stoopified
7/25/2009, 05:27 PM
TT

E-Town
7/25/2009, 06:15 PM
Pasadena will be are hardest road game this season....

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 06:20 PM
Pasadena will be are hardest road game this season....

Pasadena...? What's their mascot? ;)

E-Town
7/25/2009, 06:23 PM
Pasadena...? What's their mascot? ;)

A crystal ball....:D

Curly Bill
7/25/2009, 06:28 PM
The Pasadena Crystal Balls... I like it.

SoonerSoph
7/25/2009, 06:42 PM
Kansas. Don't forget what Reesing and Briscoe did to us in Norman. And their D could step up with all the adrenaline from a home crowd... crazier things have happened. With that being said, I like our chances :D

meoveryouxinfinity
7/26/2009, 12:05 PM
I think we will be overly ready for BYU. It will be a good warm up game for Miami. I'm watching the 2008 Miami-FSU game on ESPNU. Since when has Miami had "good" fans? They suck. It might as well be at Baylor or something. However, I think it will be a tougher test than BYU. Miami gets better recruits and HAS to put something together soon. It's inevitable. Then there's the Jayhawks. We play Kansas right after Texas. This is what makes this game questionable. However, I think the toughest road test will be the Cornhuskers. We play them in Lincoln for the first time since 2005 (if I remember correctly). It's the first weekend in November and will be cold. I wouldn't worry much about Texas Tech, except that the game is a new rivalry and is played so late in the season. Luck isn't always on our side in Lubbock.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/26/2009, 12:10 PM
Everyone thinks BYU will be a blow out. I don't. One of the things that makes OU offense hard to defend is lack of recoginition with just a week to prepare during the regular season but BYU will have the entire offseason, also Stoops will not try to put any wrinkles into the offense during the first game.

I think the game plan will be just the basic offense, and play smash mouth on defense. I look for a low scoring affair, well if you call OU scoring 35 low, but low for OU. Something like 35-24 OU. But it won't be as close as it sounds, most of BYU points will come after the game is out of reach.

Except.... BYU won't have ANY 2009 game film.

Players have left... new players have come.. I'm sure we won't look exactly like we did last year.

TahoeSOONER
7/26/2009, 01:50 PM
I don't see a easy one among the group. KU, and Mangino will be hungry. Bo will be pissed. Miami is Miami. Toritilla chuckers will be slingin it all over the place and they'll want revenge. They better not look passed those damn mormons.

When we win the Nat'l title this year we'll truly have earned it with this schedule.

soonerfan28
7/26/2009, 02:25 PM
Kansas has Reesing, Briscoe and Meier, but they also have 2 frosh and 2 soph on that o-line and 3 are first year starters. They also lost a damn good DE and 3 really good LB's. I know that by the time we see them they'll have some games under there belts but our defense isn't the same one they saw last year.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2009, 10:31 PM
Kansas won't be that great, their stadium is not big enough to be a factor....

You haven't been to Lawrence in the last two years, it will be packed and loud.

JLEW1818
7/27/2009, 10:40 PM
nope i haven't... just seems like it does not look like much of a factor from the T.V. ...?

OUAlumni1990
7/27/2009, 10:42 PM
Kansas, and maybe Miami, depending on how Miami comes out this year. I think we stole Techs manhood too much for them to give us much trouble. They are still licking their wounds on that game.

Eielson
7/27/2009, 11:08 PM
nope i haven't... just seems like it does not look like much of a factor from the T.V. ...?

That's because you're in your house.

JLEW1818
7/27/2009, 11:11 PM
Their stadium doesn't look like too much... their fans are nothing like Tech from what i hear... was at tech during 2005

soonerfan28
7/28/2009, 08:26 AM
Miami doesn't worry me because they can't sell out there stadium when they're good. I know they'll have fans there because it's OU but that doesn't worry me.

SoonerPr8r
7/28/2009, 09:44 AM
BTW Briscoe might not be playing this season. Mangino has been hinting that he may be ineligible...

SoonersEnFuego
7/28/2009, 09:50 AM
Miami 'cause they get some affletes.

JLEW1818
7/28/2009, 11:59 AM
BTW Briscoe might not be playing this season. Mangino has been hinting that he may be ineligible...

That would be nice

soonerfan28
7/28/2009, 12:23 PM
Yea, I also heard that on the sports animal this morning. If it's true then it could only help.

SoonerPr8r
7/28/2009, 03:01 PM
Mangino expects Briscoe to be ready when KU practice starts

July 28, 2009 2:46 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

IRVING, Texas - Coach Mark Mangino dropped a couple of tidbits today about the makeup of his team heading into its Aug. 7 first day of practice.

Mangino said he expects Dezmon Briscoe to be ready to play when practice begins, although he still has some academic work to guarantee his chance to play.

"I anticipate he'll be there," Mangino said. "He has work to do, but he's not the only one. There are several players that have work to do." I tell them, 'It's pretty simple: You get your work done and you're with us in August. If you don't get your work done, you're not."

Briscoe was a member of the media's preseason All-Big 12 team announced last week, but has been in Mangino's doghouse since the spring. He was suspended for most of the spring for an undisclosed violation of team rules and missed the Jayhawks' spring game before he was reinstated on April 22.

Briscoe set a Kansas record for receiving yards (1,407) and receiving touchdowns (15) last season as the Jayhawks' most prolific deep threat. His 269 receiving yards against Oklahoma were the most in an NCAA game last season.

It would be hard to imagine the Jayhawks contending for their first title game appearance without Briscoe, who along with Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant are considered the conference's two top deep threats.

Despite the potential loss of Briscoe, Mangino said the Jayhawks are prepared to deal with Briscoe's loss if he doesn't rejoin the team.

"We don't cry about it and we don't feel bad about it," Mangino said. "We just go to the next player. But I don't anticipate any issues."

Mangino said he hasn't decided on moving Kerry Meier to wide receiver full-time, but will come to a conclusion soon after camp opens. Meier set a school record with 97 receptions last season, but was the Jayhawks' backup quarterback during the entire season.

"I haven't, but I'm go to do that quickly," Mangino said about moving Meier . "We're going to get into training camp and we're going to go about a week or 10 days and study it pretty carefully. If we feel good about (projected No. 2 quarterback) Kale (Pick) and (third-stringer) Jordan (Webb), then we're going to go ahead and make Kerry a full-time receiver."
I hear last day of classes are this Friday...