PDA

View Full Version : Sooners in NFL update

badger
7/22/2009, 01:51 PM
There'll be more of these type of things all fall, so let's just make it a big fun thread, shall we?

Duke signed with the Panthers today. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090722_92_0_Panthe214902)

badger
7/22/2009, 01:55 PM
Nic Harris signed with Buffalo. (http://wcbstv.com/wireapsportsny/Buffalo.Bills.sign.2.1096446.html)

The latest on Phil Loadholt. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=223&articleid=20090721_223_B5_MneoaV856021)

SoonerPr8r
7/23/2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks Badg

soonerfan28
7/23/2009, 09:07 AM
Loadholt the frontrunner at RT. NICE!

badger
7/29/2009, 11:54 AM
Loadholt the frontrunner at RT. NICE!

Speaking of the larger-than-life Loadholt, guess who signed today! (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090729_92_0_EERIIM635056)

JLEW1818
7/29/2009, 11:54 AM
i hope he wont block for Harvin

badger
7/29/2009, 11:57 AM
i hope he wont block for Harvin

for vike fans out there, guess who the only Minny draft pick that didn't sign yet is :P

Boomer.....
7/29/2009, 11:57 AM
The Vikings have one final draft pick who remains unsigned: first-round receiver Percy Harvin out of Florida.

Is he just holding out for money?

badger
7/29/2009, 12:06 PM
Percy's agent is the infamous Joe Seagal (sp?) so I am not sure how that will help or hinder negotiations... at least it ain't Drew Rosenhaus at the table, heh :D

On one hand, I would think that Team Percy owes the Vikings something for taking a chance on him after his reefer positive test at the combine... but on the other, more dominant hand, I know that pro football is fickle business that players need to squeeze as much money out of as quickly as they can, lest they have a career ending injury early in their career or they get cut when a n00b takes their roster spot.

So anyways, look for Percy to get an incentive-laden contract with millions of upfront guaranteed money, not to mention a healthy signing bonus. I would assume that such negotiations are the reason he hasn't signed yet.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/29/2009, 02:04 PM
Nic Harris started out training camp as the 2nd team SLB..

At linebacker the starters remained the same from a season ago with Keith Ellison, Paul Posluszny and Kawika Mitchell. The second unit featured rookie Nic Harris on the strong side with Marcus Buggs in the middle and undrafted rookie Ashlee Palmer on the weak side. The third unit from left to right was Jon Corto, Pat Thomas and Alvin Bowen.

Collier11
7/29/2009, 02:07 PM
Last yr and this years upcoming class could end up being the two most succesful draft classes for OU under Stoops if they can avoid the injuries.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/29/2009, 04:35 PM
On another board, Jon Cooper's mom said Jon is staying with Phil until he sees if he makes the roster or the practice squad.

Another free agent center in camp is Garcia from Washington - you may recall who was in on the gang thrashing of Granger.

I listened to an interview of Phil on a radio station - he said he's been working really hard on technique instead of solely relying on size like he did mostly in college.

badger
7/29/2009, 04:56 PM
that is very nice of phil to do that - good to see sooners looking out for fellow sooners :)

:(i only wish they played for the packers instead of the vikings

ouleaf
7/30/2009, 12:26 AM
Is he just holding out for money?

Probably.

I wouldn't put the entire blame on Percy just yet though. I've heard that Crabtree is developing into a serious diva already and holding up a lot of guys ahead and behind him in the first round. Crabtree feels he should earn top 5 money even though he went 10th, so the fact that he is holding out is holding up a lot of first round guys. I'd look for Percy to wind up getting around what Felix Jones got last year. 5 years for around 11 million

GKeeper316
7/30/2009, 12:28 AM
travis wilson was cut by dallas today.

Collier11
7/30/2009, 12:35 AM
sucks for Travis, good for manny

GKeeper316
7/30/2009, 01:16 AM
Probably.

I wouldn't put the entire blame on Percy just yet though. I've heard that Crabtree is developing into a serious diva already and holding up a lot of guys ahead and behind him in the first round. Crabtree feels he should earn top 5 money even though he went 10th, so the fact that he is holding out is holding up a lot of first round guys. I'd look for Percy to wind up getting around what Felix Jones got last year. 5 years for around 11 million

id do it for rent money.

these guys need to be more grateful imo. yes a lot of em do great things, but a lot of em do stupid **** like sex cruises on the great lakes with a bunch of hookers flown in from atlanta (vikings), running dog fighting rings, and shooting themselves in the leg with an illegally carried firearm... ok im on plax's side on that one. constitution says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, till its amended otherwise, we should be able to drive tanks down the street if we can afford em.

but i digress...

the majority of nfl players are probably just good guys, but the list of idiots with a ton of money is nuts.

jharkins
7/30/2009, 11:54 AM
Manny got his deal last week. Hope he will keep impressing.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/072509dnspocowboysbriefs.3231c84.html

badger
7/30/2009, 12:04 PM
travis wilson was cut by dallas today.

Travis needs to NEEDS TO get a free agent deal somewhere, even if not in Dallas. He is far too talented to not be in the league and his family is depending on him now, considering recent circumstances.

Keep working, Travis!

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2009, 12:08 PM
Travis needs to keep his mouth closed and he might get on somewhere

Collier11
7/30/2009, 12:09 PM
ive never gotten the marginal pro athlete who runs their mouth, I dont like it when superstars do it either but atleast theyve proven something

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2009, 12:12 PM
Cleveland grew tired of it pretty quick, and from what I heard, he started off on the wrong foot when he got to Dallas...I don't get it either

soonerguild
7/30/2009, 12:27 PM
Cleveland grew tired of it pretty quick, and from what I heard, he started off on the wrong foot when he got to Dallas...I don't get it either

What did he do in dallas?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2009, 12:43 PM
I don't think it was a particular incident, but his mouth and arrogance caught up to him early..plus he had a knee surgery in the spring, so its tough to overcome those kinds of obstacles

badger
7/30/2009, 01:07 PM
coaches told dallas media that his attitude changed when his little brother got in his accident, but it obviously didn't change enough, or his performance on-field didn't improve enough from surgery. it's a business, not a feel-good storybook with happy endings abounding, unfortunately. i wish travis the best of course, but i think him not being able to live and work in dallas, close to home, let down his family.

Sooner04
7/30/2009, 01:15 PM
Travis needs to keep his mouth closed and he might get on somewhere
Ding!

Travis would have no problem getting a job if he were half as good as he thinks he is.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2009, 01:15 PM
yeah, I was hoping he would get on with to be close to them...I really hope he manages to make another team

oumartin
7/30/2009, 01:35 PM
Travis was one heck of a receiver but I recall his interview when he signed with Cleveland and he was pretty arogant then. I was pretty shocked as I thought he was a good kid. Maybe he is a good kid but man he needs to humble himself a little.