PDA

View Full Version : Stoops QB Arsenal

SteelClip49
7/21/2009, 10:07 AM
Heupel- Heisman runner-up, XII title, wins national title

Hybl- Cotton and Rose Bowl MVP, XII title

White- Heisman winner & finalist, XII title, 2 NC games

Bummer- Holiday Bowl MVP

Thompson- XII title (rewarding season for his patience)

Bradford- Heisman winner, 2 XII titles

Out of all these quarterbacks, I look at Thompson and Hybl as doing a lot based on what they had to do in light of their situations. I think both were very good at their position but leading teams that were not as much praised as the 2000, 2003-04, 07-08 teams. Yes 2001 had its moments but not so much Hybl and 2002 I don't think many seem to care to remember at all other than Quentin Griffin going out as a winner. I look at 2006 as being more of an encore AD season despite his injuries and the loss to Boise State as a team. I just think Thompson and Hybl deserve a lot more credit than they have been given.

Also, who would you want leading your team more in big game situations....Ebony Ninja Assassin or Nate Hybl?

Collier11
7/21/2009, 10:55 AM
Nate Hybl won a BCS game, something no other OU QB has done since Heupel

SoonerBacker
7/21/2009, 10:59 AM
And Nate Hybl took more of a pounding from opposing defenses than any QB in the Stoops era. He got beat up, but just kept on fighting. He is one of the most underrated QBs in OU history in my opinion.

Curly Bill
7/21/2009, 11:05 AM
Also, who would you want leading your team more in big game situations....Ebony Ninja Assassin or Nate Hybl?

Since Hybl was actually a QB I'll go with him.

I respect Thompson for being a good leader, and for his willingness to sacrifice to help the team, but he just was not a QB.

Hot Rod
7/21/2009, 11:12 AM
Other than the dud, each QB won a conference championship. Can any other team in the past 10 years say that? Props!

CrimsonJim
7/21/2009, 11:12 AM
Since Hybl was actually a QB I'll go with him.

I respect Thompson for being a good leader, and for his willingness to sacrifice to help the team, but he just was not a QB.

This.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 11:14 AM
Paul Thompson..

Collier11
7/21/2009, 11:34 AM
why do you hate white people

CincySooner
7/21/2009, 12:33 PM
Q got the offensive MVP of the Cotton Bowl, not Hybl.

Collier11
7/21/2009, 12:36 PM
no one should have gotten the offensive mvp for that game, I think Q had 20 carries for 75 yards or something lame like that

CrimsonJim
7/21/2009, 12:39 PM
I think Hybl was a better quarterback than Q, too. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 12:41 PM
if I remember, Hybl set a record for completions in the game...josh norman tied a team record with 11 catches..for all i know, im confusing games here..

and Paul Thompson was a better leader than Hybl in my opinion..and thats who I want c11..suck it

CrimsonJim
7/21/2009, 12:45 PM
Yes step, ENA was a better leader, but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

badger
7/21/2009, 12:48 PM
no one should have gotten the offensive mvp for that game, I think Q had 20 carries for 75 yards or something lame like that

are you sure on that? i'm not either, but i seem to recall him closing in on a record before he allowed others to get some playing time instead of him going back in. I love Q. :)

EDIT: oh, and Hybl was Rose Bowl mvp, not Q, to whoever brought up the Cotton Bowl. Rose > Cotton

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 12:54 PM
that about right..i know he didn't have 100 yards rushing

Collier11
7/21/2009, 12:54 PM
are you sure on that? i'm not either, but i seem to recall him closing in on a record before he allowed others to get some playing time instead of him going back in. I love Q. :)

EDIT: oh, and Hybl was Rose Bowl mvp, not Q, to whoever brought up the Cotton Bowl. Rose > Cotton

Maybe Hybl should have gotten it after all
OU - Hybl
24-32 175 no tds and no ints

Q- OU - Griffin
19/56 no tds

OU - Norman
7/74

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 01:01 PM
Yes step, ENA was a better leader, but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

in his one season as a starter Thompson had a better passer percentage than Hybl in either year....Hybl had probably the strongest arm of any of the quarterbacks, but Thompson was pretty good at the intermediate routes...

Collier11
7/21/2009, 01:03 PM
Thompson was just not great on the deep routes which Hybl really wasnt either

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe Hybl should have gotten it after all
OU - Hybl
24-32 175 no tds and no ints

Q- OU - Griffin
19/56 no tds

OU - Norman
7/74

thats right....Norman's 11 catches were against TT...

24 completions a CB record

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 01:08 PM
I was a big Hybl fan, but he had feet of concrete

Scott D
7/21/2009, 01:36 PM

psst..the op says Hybl won both mvp awards.

Scott D
7/21/2009, 01:37 PM
I'll say this, Hybl might just be the best golfer of that list...someone should get him and Bradford to play a tourney style.

JLEW1818
7/21/2009, 01:40 PM
Thompson just didn't have a good Fiesta bowl...

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 01:47 PM
your mom didn't have a good fiesta bowl...

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 01:48 PM
sorry

badger
7/21/2009, 01:55 PM

:les: NONE OF US HAD A GOOD FIESTA BOWL! I NEVER WANNA GO BACK TO THE FIESTA BOWL EVER AGAIN AFTER THAT CRAP IN JANUARY 07 AND 08! EFF THE FIESTA BOWL! EFF IT!!!!! [hairGel]

Scott D
7/21/2009, 01:55 PM

kinda hard to have a good bowl when you gotta drag doleo's *** around with you ;)

JLEW1818
7/21/2009, 02:02 PM
:les: NONE OF US HAD A GOOD FIESTA BOWL! I NEVER WANNA GO BACK TO THE FIESTA BOWL EVER AGAIN AFTER THAT CRAP IN JANUARY 07 AND 08! EFF THE FIESTA BOWL! EFF IT!!!!! [hairGel]

lol, thats what i meant... no sooners have good fiesta bowls. haha

CrimsonJim
7/21/2009, 02:11 PM
in his one season as a starter Thompson had a better passer percentage than Hybl in either year....Hybl had probably the strongest arm of any of the quarterbacks, but Thompson was pretty good at the intermediate routes...

I don't know step. I haven't gone back and looked at the stats, but that's just not what I remember about Thompson's throwing abilities. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death - he was the epitome of "team player" and what he did for the betterment of the team will never been forgotten. All that being said, I can still see him missing wide open receivers no matter what the routes they were running.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 02:56 PM
the longer they are gone, the better they get...remember Hybl's 4 interceptions against Texas? think he completed about 30 percent of his passes that day...that game is a thrashing if not for Q

or either osu game..3 Ints against the cowboys and only mustering 13 points...he had 3 TDs against them in the other game, but all of them after it was pretty much over...

And I love Nate Hybl...I was a hybl defender back in the day...In a big game situation, I would prefer PT

BillyBall
7/21/2009, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerBacker;2648858]And Nate Hybl took more of a pounding from opposing defenses than any QB in the Stoops era. He got beat up/QUOTE]

The KSU game followed by the first half of Texas in 2001, he was getting completely Bomared.

JLEW1818
7/21/2009, 03:13 PM
the longer they are gone, the better they get...remember Hybl's 4 interceptions against *Texas*? think he completed about 30 percent of his passes that day...that game is a thrashing if not for Q

or either osu game..3 Ints against the cowboys and only mustering 13 points...he had 3 TDs against them in the other game, but all of them after it was pretty much over...

And I love Nate Hybl...I was a hybl defender back in the day...In a big game situation, I would prefer PT

and chris simms threw a couple picks.. :D

anybody got Chris Simms stats vs Oklahoma?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/21/2009, 03:37 PM
:Mack: Let me answer that one for Chris..those stats don't exist, because he never played against oklahoma

soonerinabilene
7/21/2009, 07:04 PM
When i think of Hybl, the first image that comes to mind is him getting absolutely drilled by a texas player in mid throw, and still throwing a perfect pass on a crucial 3rd down.

PLaw
7/21/2009, 09:12 PM

Ditto. I was there for both of them. Wasn't half the team on acedemic proby, hurt, or in jail?

I often wonder what might have been had key positions been in either game.

BOOMER

Curly Bill
7/21/2009, 11:47 PM
I don't know step. I haven't gone back and looked at the stats, but that's just not what I remember about Thompson's throwing abilities. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death - he was the epitome of "team player" and what he did for the betterment of the team will never been forgotten. All that being said, I can still see him missing wide open receivers no matter what the routes they were running.

This ^^

CrimsonJim
7/21/2009, 11:56 PM
If ENA had less interceptions than Nate, it would only be due to the fact that he missed the receiver so badly that even the defender didn't have a chance to catch it. His passing was terribly erratic.

Curly Bill
7/21/2009, 11:59 PM
LOL

ndpruitt03
7/22/2009, 12:05 AM
You put White or Bradford in that game against Washington State with the game plan OU came up with they probably score 50+ in that game instead of 30. No disrespect for Nate, those 2 are just better QBs.

I would rank them like this

White
Heupel
Bradford(for now)
Hybl
Thompson

CincySooner
7/22/2009, 08:18 AM
and chris simms threw a couple picks.. :D

anybody got Chris Simms stats vs Oklahoma?

Simms career would have been really good if it weren't for OU :D

2000: 11-23, 63 yds, 1 INT (returned for TD), 3 sacks
2001: 24-42, 198 yds, 4 INT (one ret for TD), 5 sacks
2002: 12-26, 156 yds, 3 INT, 4 sacks ( one rushing TD though)

Simms career vs. OU in 3 games
47-91 passing (51.6%)
0 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD
8 INTs (2 returned for TDs)
12 sacks

he was OU's B**ch

stoops the eternal pimp
7/22/2009, 08:36 AM
This ^^

oh shutup...you don't even watch football

SoonerPr8r
7/22/2009, 08:39 AM
I seem to remember ENA could only connect while he was running. If his feet were still he would overthrow the ball every time, but as soon as he got out of the pocket he was spot on.

stoopified
7/22/2009, 10:40 PM
I don't know step. I haven't gone back and looked at the stats, but that's just not what I remember about Thompson's throwing abilities. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death - he was the epitome of "team player" and what he did for the betterment of the team will never been forgotten. All that being said, I can still see him missing wide open receivers no matter what the routes they were running.ENA passing stats for 2006:

204 C- 336 A - 22TDs-11int- 2,667 Yds- 60.7%
Draw your own conclusion.

picasso
7/22/2009, 11:00 PM
the longer they are gone, the better they get...remember Hybl's 4 interceptions against *Texas*? think he completed about 30 percent of his passes that day...that game is a thrashing if not for Q

yeah but he was money before halftime and in the 2nd half.

Salt City Sooner
7/22/2009, 11:49 PM
Not to mention the fact that those 4 picks represent half of his total for the entire year. As for the OSU game, they were getting consistent heat with a 3 man rush a whole lot more often than not thanks to one of (& IMO THE) worst OL's of the Stoops era, who also paved the way to a whopping 0 yards rushing that day. The list of QB's who are going to consistently succeed under those conditions is an extremely short one to say the least.

Scott D
7/23/2009, 11:01 AM
say what you will but no qb could take a beating like hybl

boomersoonr7xchamps
7/23/2009, 07:08 PM
Nate Hybl won a BCS game, something no other OU QB has done since Heupel

Good point...that is until the end of this year

Crucifax Autumn
7/25/2009, 12:11 AM
Yep. This year we will win so big that we'll be leading in scoring in all MNC games combined!!!!!! heh.