PDA

View Full Version : will coach stoops play 2nd string qb?

soonerchris
7/21/2009, 01:00 AM
My biggest concern is the lack of play time for our 2nd string in games after the score has gotten out of hand. Sam is leaving after this year and I sure hope coach changes his pattern for our sake next year. What do you think?

JLEW1818
7/21/2009, 01:02 AM
Jones will play some, but if the game is in reach, it's all Sam.

how many snaps did Sam play his true freshman season? and he turned out fine for his RS FR season... JMO

great question by the way... but Jones will get some time in this season... I'm sure Drew will Red Shirt...

soonerchris
7/21/2009, 01:16 AM
I can see the o line
Playing a lot just to get experience but I worry a little about the skill positions. Sams case was a little different. He got thrown in the fire. This year we have to groom a qb.

JLEW1818
7/21/2009, 01:42 AM
well,... Jones won't be throwing passes in many games that matter this year... at least score wise...

Curly Bill
7/21/2009, 01:44 AM
Among the things you can count on from Bob:

1. He will not get rid of an assistant coach no matter how much they need
getting rid of.

2. He will not give the 2nd string QB any meaningful reps.

ndpruitt03
7/21/2009, 04:18 AM
Why is that a concern? Bradford never played a minute before he started in 2007 and he did just fine. Jason White came in in the middle of the Texas game after barely playing and all and led OU to a win.

AlbqSooner
7/21/2009, 06:15 AM
And when Bradford got his bell rung at Tech - - -

Jacie
7/21/2009, 06:18 AM
Too bad most of you with all of the helpful advice for OUr coaching staff are too old to start down the career path that could ultimately lead to a head coaching job for you.

OU football is OUr passion, it is Bob Stoop's job. A fine distinction but one worth noting . . .

EnragedOUfan
7/21/2009, 06:20 AM
I think its a reasonable concern. What really stands out in my mind is Brandon Crow in the Texas game. Nothing against the guy, but he looked really lost. And why was he lost? Lack of playing time and experience maybe?

Blues1
7/21/2009, 06:37 AM
Let Sam Win his 2nd Heisman for more OU History and Let next year take care of itself....:)

R'

badger
7/21/2009, 07:49 AM
Back when Jason was under center, ENA got a lot of snaps with all the blowouts in 2003. Then, he redshirted 2004, so no snaps then... 2005 there were a lot of different QB's getting playing time early, including Bomar, ENA, Noah, etc.

If you want to see the backup guys, attend the early, non-conference games. My guess is Idaho State will have Landry in the game in no time. By conference, you BETTER not want to see our backups, because the reasoning will likely be why Sam didn't play a lot versus Tech, not the reason ENA played a lot version A&M in 2003.

soonersam
7/21/2009, 08:03 AM
I'd love to see him some also play but with possibility of Sam getting back to back heisman's, he'll log time into the 4th no matter what the score!!

soonerchris
7/21/2009, 08:21 AM
As we all know it only takes one play or one boneheaded off the field choice to screw up a season. Stoops lack of game time experience for skill positions is a concern. I feel OU has been blessed and lucky to have had white and sam step in like nothing ever happened. But what about the other non heisman qb's we've had? Wouldve been nice to have some. Legit back ups

adoniijahsooner
7/21/2009, 08:38 AM
My biggest concern is the lack of play time for our 2nd string in games after the score has gotten out of hand. Sam is leaving after this year and I sure hope coach changes his pattern for our sake next year. What do you think?

Sam gave you the inside scoop, huh? Sam loves college football and the university of Oklahoma, I wouldnt be surprised if he is back again.

badger
7/21/2009, 09:02 AM
Jason had the chance for two Heismans too, but that didn't mean he played until the end of the game. Granted, Sam has better knees than Jason does, but I don't see them risking the season for a chance at a pipe dream Heisman... yes, it's a pipe dream. I don't think the Heisman alums wants another double winner.

goingoneight
7/21/2009, 09:42 AM
Unless it's Teb0w...

ndpruitt03
7/21/2009, 09:56 AM
And when Bradford got his bell rung at Tech - - -
By his own player in a freak injury and Joey came in and played well. Our defense played a terrible rest of that half and ended up killing us in the end.

badger
7/21/2009, 09:59 AM
By his own player in a freak injury and Joey came in and played well. Our defense played a terrible rest of that half and ended up killing us in the end.

I felt so bad for Joey getting thrown into the fray... I probably would have felt worse if Keith had been thrown into that situation, given his froshie status... but wow. Joey did everything he could. We were a dropped pass away from Joey being big man on campus for that week.

Curly Bill
7/21/2009, 10:25 AM
Too bad most of you with all of the helpful advice for OUr coaching staff are too old to start down the career path that could ultimately lead to a head coaching job for you.

OU football is OUr passion, it is Bob Stoop's job. A fine distinction but one worth noting . . .

You realize how ghey this sounds right?

I'm sure Bob would be proud of your righteous defense of him and his staff though. ;)

badger
7/21/2009, 10:34 AM

You don't downgrade him because he does everything right and may not play as well on Saturdays - and you let us make that decision![hairGel]

Curly Bill
7/21/2009, 10:37 AM
I thought Bob was a MAN, meaning he was fair game to criticize? :D

badger
7/21/2009, 10:44 AM
I thought Mike Gundy made this perfectly clear, but you have to let them make that decision and don't bedowngrade and belittle players for doing everything right, except for being fat and dropping passes in pickup games before crying home to mother... of children.

It's been awhile since I've seen that, so the details might be sketchy.

Curly Bill
7/21/2009, 10:46 AM
Fat kids deserve any criticism coming their way. :D

cheezyq
7/21/2009, 03:42 PM
Fat kids deserve any criticism coming their way. :D

;) Enjoy!

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/fat_kid_successfully_avoids

:D

Widescreen
7/21/2009, 05:41 PM
Someone above mentioned "meaningful snaps". I think that's the key. If they're going to send Landry out there to take a snap and hand it to an RB for half a game, they might as well let a walk-on play. I want to see our backup QB come in and actually run our offense for 2-3 series.

JLEW1818
7/21/2009, 05:45 PM
it's hard to run OUr offense during the 4th quarter, without running up the score....:D

Widescreen
7/21/2009, 07:30 PM
Who cares if we run up the score? They're going to complain about it either way.

olevetonahill
7/21/2009, 10:54 PM

Let me know when ya start gettin paid 4 + mil a year to Run the team ok ?

olevetonahill
7/21/2009, 10:56 PM
Someone above mentioned "meaningful snaps". I think that's the key. If they're going to send Landry out there to take a snap and hand it to an RB for half a game, they might as well let a walk-on play. I want to see our backup QB come in and actually run our offense for 2-3 series.

Zackley
Let the Back up come in and RUN the Offense :pop:

JLEW1818
7/21/2009, 11:11 PM
I would have loved to see Joey throw more TD's last year... but would it have been necessary? prlly not...

RedstickSooner
7/21/2009, 11:17 PM

To suggest that the only person competent enough to criticize is one capable of doing the job is a bit silly. If my mechanic mounts my tire backward, I can recognize the failure even if I couldn't mount the tire to a rim myself. And your sarcasm is bordering on the insulting, which usually we reserve for once the thread has gotten more heated, and some escalating insults have started flowing. In other words, it seemed a bit harsh compared to the tone in place.

Now, as to 2nd string: It does seem like we pulled White and put Halzle in a lot more than we pulled Sam last season. Halzle *was* White's backup, right? I'm horrible with names. But I do remember that White was pulled for a ton of quarters in 2004, because it made for some fascinating stats about how it was like he'd only played 2/3 of a season, or something. Heck, I don't even know the name of Sam's backup last year, 'cuz we never saw the guy.

soonerchris
7/22/2009, 12:20 AM
Gee. I guess cause I don't run the team I should take your advice olevet and shut up huh?! You first big guy. Back to the topic. We haven't really had the chance to groom a qb in the past. Not saying it hasn't worked to our favor but a little more forward thinking would be nice to see also. And yes I can see sam going pro in a heartbeat

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 12:33 AM
so what do you suggest exactly??? Put Jones in against Texas win the score is 14-14 to groom him??

just give me a situation, and I'll give u an answer.....

ndpruitt03
7/22/2009, 12:44 AM
Gee. I guess cause I don't run the team I should take your advice olevet and shut up huh?! You first big guy. Back to the topic. We haven't really had the chance to groom a qb in the past. Not saying it hasn't worked to our favor but a little more forward thinking would be nice to see also. And yes I can see sam going pro in a heartbeat

First game of every QB we've had under Stoops

Josh Heupel 32-43 341 yards and can't find the TD numbers, team scored 7. 1 INT.

Nate Hybl 21-31 148 yards, again can't find the TD numbers but the team scored 41 points.

Jason White 16-23 108 yards 38 yards rushing in some game in Dallas against some team from Austin

This is where you have a case where we didn't handle a QB situation well. Neither Thompson nor Bomar were really ready for the start of that season. I think Bob and staff will tell you they did their worst job in preparing a team to start the season of any season they've had at OU and it showed.

Thompson 11-26 109 yards, 1 INT. Bomar 20-29 241 yards 1 rushing TD also about 4 or 5 fumbles from him that game.

Bradford 21-23 363 yards, 3 TDs

Jason White threw for the least amount of yards in a first game and he really played about half the game and it was against a pretty good Texas defense, and he made a lot of clutch plays that game.

soonerchris
7/22/2009, 12:46 AM
Jlew Your right. I'm wrong. Your infinite wisdom trumps all. Not!! Use some common sense. Sam has nothing to prove and neither does stoops. There's nothing wrong with sam running a couple series after half time in a meaningless game then put in some subs. Unlike last year. And the year before and the year before. Get the point? A lot of good it did to score 60 5 straight times

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 12:48 AM
but you want your starting QB to play 3 quarters minimum in my opinion..... take a look at those 60 point games... see how much we scored in the 4th quarters, and with who..... (besides the Poke State game, that was still a game in the 4th)

not much

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 12:50 AM
Your right. I'm wrong. Your infinite wisdom trumps all. Not!! Use some common sense. Sam has nothing to prove and neither does stoops. There's nothing wrong with sam running a couple series after half time in a meaningless game then put in some subs. Unlike last year. And the year before and the year before. Get the point? A lot of good it did to score 60 5 straight times

You've made some good points, but why come on here and start acting an *** about it? It doesn't hurt to just chill and see how things work on here before you start going off on peeps.

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 12:50 AM
I think you've got some good points, soonerchris, but getting all defensive (and offensive) isn't helping your case.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 12:51 AM
yah, like i said in my first post... "great question"

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 12:51 AM
You've made some good points, but why come on here and start acting an *** about it? It doesn't hurt to just chill and see how things work on here before you start going off on peeps.

Get out of my head!!!

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 12:53 AM
Get out of my head!!!

Imagine the both of us being the voice of wisdom...

...or something like that. :P

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 12:54 AM
that would suck!!!!

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 12:55 AM
Imagine the both of us being the voice of reason...

...or something like that. :P

lol....who'd a thunk it? :O

soonerchris
7/22/2009, 01:02 AM
I'm doing this from my blackberry and can't highlight posts but I was told since u don't make 4 mill to basically shut up earlier. The thing that sucks about written word is you can't tell the tone. Trying to make a lame point about a score tied 14 to 14 with what were talking about is just that. Lame. Sorry. Just how I feel

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:04 AM
I'm doing this from my blackberry and can't highlight posts but I was told since u don't make 4 mill to basically shut up earlier. The thing that sucks about written word is you can't tell the tone. Trying to make a lame point about a score tied 14 to 14 with what were talking about is just that. Lame. Sorry. Just how I feel

Okay, BlueBerry... my question was... when do you want us to put our back up QB in... give me a score and the time left in the game.....

soonerchris
7/22/2009, 01:10 AM
See earlier post.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:14 AM
Jlew Your right. I'm wrong. Your infinite wisdom trumps all. Not!! Use some common sense. Sam has nothing to prove and neither does stoops. There's nothing wrong with sam running a couple series after half time in a meaningless game then put in some subs. Unlike last year. And the year before and the year before. Get the point? A lot of good it did to score 60 5 straight times

Okay.... so you want Jones to come into the game... up by 40... and run OUr normal offense..... gotcha...

I understand you want us to groom a QB... BUT HOW MANY ****ING CONTENDING SCHOOLS GROOM A ****ING BACKUP UP QB EVERY YEAR??? NAME THEM PLEASE!

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:17 AM
Colt McCoy "not groomed"

Tim Tebow "groomed... as you say... but they wouldn't have won the national title with out him... if we need Jones to win the national title this year, assuming Sam is still healthy... we suck!

Mark Sanchez.... got significant playing time during the 2007 season, b/c the starter was
HURT.

TP for Ohio State... eventually became the Starter this season........

I just don't understand... sorry Chris

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 01:17 AM
Settle down jlew. We don't want ya blowin' a vein! :D

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:19 AM
lol, i just don't get it???? it's like people want Same to come out with a 40 point lead... and then they want OUr backup QB to throw 3 more Tds....

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 01:19 AM
I don't have a problem with 3 more TDs. :D

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't either... but Bobby won't do it .. and i don't blame him

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:22 AM
I don't either, and I do think we need to play our backup QB's more. For the most part I think the chris dude is right...

...but I don't like his tone! ;)

BoulderSooner79
7/22/2009, 01:24 AM

Normally, I'd agree with your last point. But last year our run of 60+ point games tipped the scale in the big12 south tie-breaker. Ok, can't count the CCG, so 4 straight with a 58 pointer before that. People really wanted to see the best offense in modern history get a crack at the title game.

Back to meaningful playing time for the back-up QB. Personally, I think it's hard to get really meaningful snaps for the back-up in a game situation. By definition, the game won't be in doubt unless you have a QB rotation situation and then it's not really a back-up - more like a QB controversy. Platooning the whole second string does help to get in front of a live crowd, but wouldn't be the same as coming in with the 1st string under duress. To me, snaps with the 1st team in practice is worth more than snaps in a game clean-up situation. Going back to TT in '07, yeah, it might have helped if Joey had more work going in. But remember Sam was a 1st year, RS freshman starter and every rep for him was critical for his development. Obviously a different situation with Sam this year and I hope the backup does get significant work with the first team in practice along with some cleanup in a game if we have that luxury.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:25 AM
I just want him to list me a clear understanding ... on what "grooming" means....

Situations. Time left on clock. score... home or away

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:27 AM
but really people.... check OUr 4th quarter, 60+ point wins games... we didn't score much... the poke game we did some in the 4th, b/c it was still a game...

we could have had 3 games with 80 points in my opinion...

and remember, Texas had more 4th quarter points than Oklahoma last year.... go look it up!!!

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:29 AM
Here's my take on it.

1. If the game is at all in doubt Sam is in the game.

2. If the game is not in doubt let Landry or Drew, whomever the #2 is, take some snaps where they are actually running the offense. Maybe not the entire package, but neither do I think it helps much to have them just hand the ball off or take a knee.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:30 AM
Game Vs. Nebraska

7 points scored by OU in the fourth quarter.

Game Vs. Aggies

0 points scored by OU in the fourth quarter.

Game Vs. Tech

7 points scored by OU in the fourth quarter.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:31 AM
Here's my take on it.

2. If the game is not in doubt let Landry or Drew, whomever the #2 is, take some snaps where they are actually running the offense. Maybe not the entire package, but neither do I think it helps much to have them just hand the ball off or take a knee.

yup, how may teams would pray to have that??? " well we had 7 games this year, where our backup came in for a quarter each game... :D "

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 01:32 AM
Here's my take on it.

This ^^^

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:33 AM
people get hurt when passing, and up by 40.....

they really do... ( not that i disagree with the point, I'd love for Jones to get some real time in)

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 01:34 AM
There now, everybody agrees on the basic concept. Group hug!!!

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:35 AM
... i mean.. do fans want us running 2 minute drills with OUr backup QB in, and up by 40 or 50 points??

(note, OUr offense is basically a 2 minute drill)

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:36 AM
people get hurt when passing, and up by 40.....

they really do... ( not that i disagree with the point, I'd love for Jones to get some real time in)

The dude's the backup QB, if he gets hurt he just gets hurt.

Surely you're not saying we need to protect our backup QB?

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:36 AM
There now, everybody agrees on the basic concept. Group hug!!!

Bite me! :P

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:37 AM
but we don't need to be doing something stupid either... like letting him run the offense like Sam runs it... ( if we are already killing the other team)

I'll trust our system... White came in ready, and Paul was ready too... (if something happens)

Curly Bill
but we don't need to be doing something stupid either... like letting him run the offense like Sam runs it... ( if we are already killing the other team)

I don't think anyone has suggested that have they?

CrimsonJim
Bite me! :P

lol....sorry. As ghey as it sounded, I just couldn't resist when jlew "kind of" agreed. :D

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:38 AM
jlew is talking in circles, that's why I'm giving him a hard time. ;)

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:38 AM
I don't think anyone has suggested that have they?

but we need to protect our back up QB too... and if we are up by 50 points, and he is passing deep passes... i would not want to be him....

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:40 AM

lol, all I'm saying is this.....

We can say how much we want to groom OUr QB and such.... but the fact is.... no back up qb goes into the game when it matters, assuming the starter is healthy. ... if the Starter gets hurt... well ****! that sucks for us... but it's not like we could have gotten the back up more ready... like putting him in a tie game or something, just so he could get "groomed"

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:41 AM
but we need to protect our back up QB too... and if we are up by 50 points, and he is passing deep passes... i would not want to be him....

I don't think anyone has called for our backup to be in and still passing when up 50. However it would be in our best interest as a team for our backup QB to get some gametime where he is executing the offense, maybe not the full blown offense, but not just handing the ball off either.

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 01:41 AM

He was all liquored up when he got here. What do you expect? :D

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:43 AM
lol, all I'm saying is this.....

We can say how much we want to groom OUr QB and such.... but the fact is.... no back up qb goes into the game when it matters, assuming the starter is healthy. ... if the Starter gets hurt... well ****! that sucks for us... but it's not like we could have gotten the back up more ready... like putting him in a tie game or something, just so he could get "groomed"

Good grief! Read post 57 in this thread!

No one has said we should put the backup in the game with a tied score!!!! :mad:

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:43 AM
agree...

like somebody else pointed out....

College football is so different than any other sport.... if it means Sam has to be in until we score 65 points, so be it... as long as we get into the national title game... last year, he had to stay in the games late, to show the world, what the Sooners were about... that's just how it is sometimes...

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:44 AM
Good grief! Read post 57 in this thread!

No one has said we should put the backup in the game with a tied score!!!! :mad:

I know.. but i don't get how our back up QB is going to get groomed... that is all... backups don't get groomed on good teams.. that's how it is.

Curly Bill
He was all liquored up when he got here. What do you expect? :D

It's no wonder the libs get pissed arguing with him. He's just making **** up as he goes!

soonerchris
This year lays the foundation for next year correct? Big plan. The first game lays the foundation for the second game correct? Small plan. Jlew. I live in so cal. I see all that pete does more so than you even though I don't want to... He grooms qbs during the season! How you ask would I? See the earlier post!!! Game situation. Comfortable lead starting 2nd half no matter the competition sam plays a couple of series and sub. Not rocket science. Stoops doesn't do it enough is my point and I wish he did. How's my tone now? And now? Hee hee

JLEW1818
lol libs make up more than me!

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:45 AM
I know.. but i don't get how our back up QB is going to get groomed... that is all... backups don't get groomed on good teams.. that's how it is.

Then you just don't understand how a QB is "groomed" then. :O

...becasue it CAN and SHOULD be done!

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:47 AM
This year lays the foundation for next year correct? Big plan. The first game lays the foundation for the second game correct? Small plan. Jlew. I live in so cal. I see all that pete does more so than you even though I don't want to... He grooms qbs during the season! How you ask would I? See the earlier post!!! Game situation. Comfortable lead starting 2nd half no matter the competition sam plays a couple of series and sub. Not rocket science. Stoops doesn't do it enough is my point and I wish he did. How's my tone now? And now? Hee hee

The last 2 USC qb's didn't do to much ...

CrimsonJim
It's no wonder the libs get pissed arguing with him. He's just making **** up as he goes!

ROFL!! Yep, that's about the size of it. :D

See ya'll tomorrow....

JLEW1818
can somebody please give me a good example of a backup QB getting groomed.....

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 01:48 AM
I'm leaving my fence post behind to keep ya company, jlew. lol

See ya l8r, bud.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:49 AM
night night

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:49 AM

Not me, not tonight, arguing with you has already taken all my energy. :D

Some other time maybe.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:50 AM
lol, i do get your point, and I hope OUr backup QB gets some decent reps in.... it's just hard to do so... when your already kickass like OU is... and don't wanna make every school cry

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 01:53 AM
lol, i do get your point, and I hope OUr backup QB gets some decent reps in.... it's just hard to do so... when your already kickass like OU is... and don't wanna make every school cry

...but see: that should make it easier to get the backup QB reps.

It's when you're always in close games or behind that it's hard to do that.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:58 AM
yes... but Sam needs to play 3 quarters of every game .... regardless of the score in my opinion. I'd rather our starter, stay sharp, than are backup get sharper..

starclassic tama
7/22/2009, 02:59 AM

tim teblow. played sparingly during his freshman year. gained valuable experience. won the heisman the next year. do you even watch sports? you just tried to say that allen iverson was a point guard

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 12:24 PM
That's because the Florida Gators needed him to win... as i already pointed out ... They would not have won it all that year with just Leak....L. Jones does nothing for us this year to help us win. If we had a guy like Tebow who was used as more of a 3rd and short and 4th and short this year, would we use him? Absolutely

Allen Iverson plays point guard and shooting guard. (teams that have high scoring point guards, hardly ever win the rings.... (cept Magic Johnson, but he is more of a point-forward)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Iverson

Remember the Denver Detroit trade? POINT GUARD FOR POINT GUARD.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 12:42 PM
So in other words... 2006 Florida had to have Tim Tebow to win the national championship..... If the 2009 Sooners need Jones to win the national championship (assuming Sam is not hurt), we are in trouble.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 01:56 PM
Skip just picked Bradford to be the repeat Heisman for this upcoming season... I know he's a Sooner fan, but he usually hates on us...

Scott D
7/22/2009, 02:01 PM
jlew, by now you should know. Never trust a Commodore.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 02:04 PM
lol, I'm surprised he didn't say Colt..... Skip makes some far out predictions sometimes.. but a lot of times they end up being right

SoonerShay
7/22/2009, 03:31 PM
Weird that we have had a ton of success with Qbs under Stoops, but for some reason we need to change it now.

USC grooms Qbs so good they always freeze up once a year and lose a game they shoudln't.

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah, we should stay right where we are, no use in trying to get even better.

SoonerShay
7/22/2009, 04:09 PM
How much better could we possibly get? We seem to have great QB play every year minus the Bomar year. Which wasn't exactly just because Bomar didn't get reps as a true freshman.

Who does it the way that you want and also has more success than we do with Qbs?

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 04:13 PM
How much better could we possibly get? We seem to have great QB play every year minus the Bomar year. Which wasn't exactly just because Bomar didn't get reps as a true freshman.

Last I heard we have not been winning the national championship every year, so...looks like there's room to improve to me.

...and yeah, we've been pretty damn good lately, but those of you that think we do everything perfect and can't improve are guilty of drinking too much from the crimson KoolAid.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/22/2009, 04:50 PM
mmmmm Crimson KoolAide

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 04:51 PM
mmmmm Crimson KoolAide

Yeah, it's mighty tasty, but it makes some people's brains quit working.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 04:54 PM
[hairGel] [hairGel] :hot:

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah, it's mighty tasty, but it makes some people's brains quit working.

...or maybe I should be more charitable and say: it blinds them to the truth.

SoonerShay
7/22/2009, 04:59 PM
Last I heard we have not been winning the national championship every year, so...looks like there's room to improve to me.

...and yeah, we've been pretty damn good lately, but those of you that think we do everything perfect and can't improve are guilty of drinking too much from the crimson KoolAid.

And if we change up how we groom QBs we will win the national championship every year? If that is the criteria for doing it right then not one staff knows what they are doing I guess.

I don't think we do everything perfect, because there is no such thing. We're obviously pretty damn close to it though.

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 05:01 PM
And if we change up how we groom QBs we will win the national championship every year?

Did I post this somewhere....:confused:

SoonerShay
7/22/2009, 05:05 PM
Did I post this somewhere....:confused:

Isn't that what this thread is about? I was asking how much better could we get with grooming quaterbacks and you hit me with that line.

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 05:08 PM
I said that we weren't winning the NC every year, so that meant we had room to improve. You interpreted that as me saying if we prepared our QB's different we would win the NC every year. Sorry, but I never said that.

Is reading that difficult for you?

SoonerShay
7/22/2009, 05:12 PM
Maybe you should stay on the topic.

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 05:15 PM
Here's CB's thoughts on playing the backup QB more:

1. My main reason for playing the backup more, when the situation warrants it, is not to prepare said backup for the starting role the next season. We have the spring and all summer for that.

2. My main reason for wanting the backup to get some meaningful PT, is so if God forbid that starter is hurt the backup can go in the game and give us a real shot at winning.

Anyone remember the TT game a coupla years ago where Sam went out? Sure would have been nice to have had a backup ready who had been given the chance to gain some confidence by playing some meaningful snaps here and there.

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 05:16 PM
Maybe you should stay on the topic.

Maybe you should be able to read and interpret a simple paragraph. :P

SoonerShay
7/22/2009, 05:23 PM
You quoted me and then argue a different point altogether and I'm the one that can't read or interpret paragraphs?

Your worse than arguing with my wife.

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 05:29 PM
You quoted me and then argue a different point altogether and I'm the one that can't read or interpret paragraphs?

Yeah, pretty much.

MojoRisen
7/22/2009, 05:46 PM
Jones should get in and stay in if we can maintain a 5 touchdown lead.

soonerchris
7/22/2009, 07:27 PM
Geez. Go away for a few hours and geez! Yes we would be better if the 2nd string got in good reps. Yes we would be more of a complete team. Who knows? Maybe we win a bcs game cause we couldve inserted a different qb who would give a different dynamic to the game but we couldn't. Why soonerchris you ask? Nobody past the starter was prepared that's why!!! Let me work out my biceps for big arms and neglect the rest of my body. Does that make sense?

Eielson
7/22/2009, 07:41 PM
tim teblow. played sparingly during his freshman year. gained valuable experience. won the heisman the next year. do you even watch sports? you just tried to say that allen iverson was a point guard

Sam Bradford. Redshirted first year. Gained valuable experience. Came out better than Tebow.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 09:05 PM
Geez. Go away for a few hours and geez! Yes we would be better if the 2nd string got in good reps. Yes we would be more of a complete team. Who knows? Maybe we win a bcs game cause we couldve inserted a different qb who would give a different dynamic to the game but we couldn't. Why soonerchris you ask? Nobody past the starter was prepared that's why!!! Let me work out my biceps for big arms and neglect the rest of my body. Does that make sense?

can you please just give me situations ..... that's all I've been asking for the last 24 hours.

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 09:06 PM
Sam Bradford. Redshirted first year. Gained valuable experience. Came out better than The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah.

WORD.....

people tend to forget the Gators needed Tim to win in 06......

i mean does playing a couple meaningless series really translate over to the next year that much?

Snead sat out a whole freaking year... and look what he did at ole miss...

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 09:23 PM
You're not already hittin' the sauce, are ya jlew? You sound like a broken record. :D

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 09:41 PM
I'm done with this thread now... promise... Astros just won in the bottom of the 9th!!!!!!! 4 beers deep!

CrimsonJim
7/22/2009, 09:45 PM
You'll be back. You can't help yourself. :D

Curly Bill
7/22/2009, 09:49 PM
Yep, 8 or 12 beers from now he'll be right back posting the same crap again. :D

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 09:51 PM
with cuss words!!!!

stoopified
7/22/2009, 11:10 PM
IF I were coach the #2 qb would play the entire 4th quarter of every game where we had a comfortable lead and I would let the second team actually run the offense.My atitude is if you can't stop the scrubs,TOO BAD.

However I am not Bob and I think he will continue to play the #2 qb sparingly.It is JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION but I think part of the reason Bob does NOT play his #2 qb much is to avoid qb controversy.If the back-up has a lot of sucess in mop-up duty some fans will inevitably clamor to change qbs.I've witnessed this with Blevins-Lott,Gundy-Collins,Thompson-Bomar,White-Hybl.I think not only splinters fan bases but sometimes even team unity(Gundy-Collins for example).Again I reiterate this is my theory based on some comments I have heard from Stoops over the years.

Crucifax Autumn
7/23/2009, 12:55 AM
I think I'd play number 2 a lot in the fourth and yep...actually run the real offense, particularly if the only other options are leaving Sam in just to hand off the ball or doing the same with #2. This would obviously depend on the game situation though, and if the running backs were tearing up the field I'd want them getting meaningful reps too.

texas bandman
7/23/2009, 01:19 AM
3. He will always be in the mix for a Big 12 title (with marginal asst. coaches and 2nd string QB's on the bench. :D

badger
7/23/2009, 07:57 AM
“Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.” - Barry Switzer

I love your Switzer quote. It comes to mind when you see some of these reality shows with celebrities, heh.

ashley
7/23/2009, 03:18 PM
Coaches, coaches, coaches every where.

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 03:27 PM
Coaches, coaches, coaches every where.

I guess you've never made a judgement on or about someone have you?

Cause I mean, unless you have the same job as them you can't criticize them right?

This is one of the stupidest arguments that's regularly used on this board.

soonerchris
7/23/2009, 03:35 PM
Agreed curly. Kind of funny how many people er posters didn't agree with stoops after a couple of bcs games but freak out over the questioning of 2nd stringers playing more often. My whole point with this thread was to say coach needs to take this subject a lot more seriously this year. U don't want to see a talented qb leave because of no future plans laid out

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 03:40 PM
It just hacks me off, and yeah I know my good buddy Vet did it too, but it hacks me off that people think we can't criticize Stoops because we're not in his position. Not many of us are the President either, but a goodly portion of us feel free to criticize him.

The analogy we often use on here is the mechanic one: I may not be a mechanic but I damn well know if I'm going down the car and smoke comes out from under my hood something is wrong. Well, I may not be Bob Stoops but I damn well know that when our starter goes down against TT two years ago, and our backup looks lost because he never got any time, something is wrong.

SoonerShay
7/23/2009, 04:29 PM
It just hacks me off, and yeah I know my good buddy Vet did it too, but it hacks me off that people think we can't criticize Stoops because we're not in his position. Not many of us are the President either, but a goodly portion of us feel free to criticize him.

The analogy we often use on here is the mechanic one: I may not be a mechanic but I damn well know if I'm going down the car and smoke comes out from under my hood something is wrong. Well, I may not be Bob Stoops but I damn well know that when our starter goes down against TT two years ago, and our backup looks lost because he never got any time, something is wrong.

Actually you don't know this, but still act like it is pure fact. Then you point out 1 time and make it seem like the norm. You can criticize Stoops but prepare to be criticized for criticizing and stop acting like a baby about it.

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 04:44 PM
Don't know what?

I gave an analogy and an opinion. :rolleyes:

Do I not know my own opinion or what exactly?

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 04:48 PM
...or are you the guy that thinks: "just because I have less than 100 posts I'm not gonna let them push me around, I'm gonna hold my own!"

Is that you? You showing you're not gonna be pushed around by me?

TheUnnamedSooner
7/23/2009, 04:55 PM
Keep this up and he'll be the guy OVER 100 posts. Then he'll be pushing YOU around. Then what?

starclassic tama
7/23/2009, 05:44 PM
halzle didn't look lost against texas tech. he played about as well as you could expect joey halzle to play on the road in a big 12 game.

CrimsonJim
7/23/2009, 06:53 PM
Joey looked better as the game went on (specifically the second half), but during the first half, he was ALL "deer in the headlights".

Look, I'm not hating on coach Stoops. I'm just like a good number of other folks on here that feel he keeps the starting QB in longer than need be and feel that a lot of GOOD experience could be gained by letting the 2nd stringer come in and actually run the offence. I mean really, how could that be a bad thing?

You don't see us ranting and raving about running off coach over this. It's just our opinion. Nothing to get all up in arms about.

ashley
7/23/2009, 07:39 PM

I like to think bigger things hack me off.

ashley
7/23/2009, 07:42 PM
Actually you don't know this, but still act like it is pure fact. Then you point out 1 time and make it seem like the norm. You can criticize Stoops but prepare to be criticized for criticizing and stop acting like a baby about it.

Good one without screaming and losing your cool and resorting to almost hate speech.

olevetonahill
7/23/2009, 08:27 PM
You peeps have missed the Whole point of this thread by going off on yer Rants
I will answer this question . and settle it.
the question was = "will coach stoops play 2nd string qb? "

Answer = NO
Hes the coach and he has LJ fer that spot ,
Now yall STFU .:D

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 08:29 PM
LOL

olevetonahill
7/23/2009, 08:36 PM
LOL

Some times ya just have to point out the Obvious to the Idjits :D

Crucifax Autumn
7/23/2009, 08:50 PM
LMFAO

BoulderSooner79
7/23/2009, 08:58 PM
I just don't feel the '07 Tech game is a good example for this argument. Sam was a RS freshman and first year starter. So any reps the backup get in a game or in practice are reps that Sam doesn't get. At that point in his career, he was on a steep learning curve and those snaps are critical. I certainly would have biased my play count towards Sam and taken my chances on the injury scenario if I had been coach. The other factor was that Joey was not a future starter. This year is much different as Sam is fairly polished now and won't have a steep learning curve until he hits the NFL. And the 2 other QBs are seen as potential future starters. I still believe that practice snaps *with the first unit* are more critical than game cleanup chores and I doubt we'll know are those are being distributed.

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 09:09 PM
I like to think bigger things hack me off.

Says the genius that thinks Collin Cowherd knows more about college football than most people. :O

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 09:18 PM

Answer = NO

Actually you don't know this, but still act like it is pure fact. :P :P :P

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LMAO!!!!!!:D

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 09:20 PM

Answer = NO

Look at post #5 in this thread and see if I didn't say this. ;)

Scott D
7/23/2009, 09:39 PM
I just don't feel the '07 Tech game is a good example for this argument. Sam was a RS freshman and first year starter. So any reps the backup get in a game or in practice are reps that Sam doesn't get. At that point in his career, he was on a steep learning curve and those snaps are critical. I certainly would have biased my play count towards Sam and taken my chances on the injury scenario if I had been coach. The other factor was that Joey was not a future starter. This year is much different as Sam is fairly polished now and won't have a steep learning curve until he hits the NFL. And the 2 other QBs are seen as potential future starters. I still believe that practice snaps *with the first unit* are more critical than game cleanup chores and I doubt we'll know are those are being distributed.

well another point could be that there isn't as much practice time as there perhaps could be.

sooneron
7/23/2009, 09:41 PM
so what do you suggest exactly??? Put Jones in against *Texas* win the score is 14-14 to groom him??

just give me a situation, and I'll give u an answer.....
How about up 21-24 late in the 3rd Q?

okcusooner
7/23/2009, 09:52 PM
halzle didn't look lost against *Texas* tech. he played about as well as you could expect joey halzle to play on the road in a big 12 game.

I agree that Halzle did not look lost in this game. But for the first half he was incredibly rusty. Passes were way off target. At least one time he tripped after getting stepped on by an offensive lineman when he was too slow on his backpedal.

By the second half he got his sealegs, unfortunately OU ran out of clock. I can't remember how many times that season I turned to a friend and would say, "Why is Bradford still in there?"

That loss was a perfect storm of errors. Allen Patrick was a wonderful special teams player. However, he had put the ball on the ground a lot that season, and it was clear that Murray should have been the starter. Of course, Bradford gets hurt recovering Patrick's fumble. Then Halzle's lack of playing time bites us for the rest of the half. Further, if you remember it was abundantly clear that OU could have won if it did nothing but run after Bradford got injured. Tech's run defense was that bad.

sooneron
7/23/2009, 09:57 PM
You guys that are acting all high and mighty about people publicly airing their frustrations about something that has been going on since Bob showed up need to realize that a HUGE reason that boards like this exist is so that they can air their frustrations! We're fans, we aren't perfect and guess what? Neither is this coaching staff. Just because Stoops makes 4 mill a year doesn't mean that he's above being questioned.

olevetonahill
7/23/2009, 09:58 PM

I aint read this shat
Pay tention :P :D

sooneron
7/23/2009, 09:59 PM
I agree that Halzle did not look lost in this game. But for the first half he was incredibly rusty. Passes were way off target. At least one time he tripped after getting stepped on by an offensive lineman when he was too slow on his backpedal.

By the second half he got his sealegs, unfortunately OU ran out of clock. I can't remember how many times that season I turned to a friend and would say, "Why is Bradford still in there?"

That loss was a perfect storm of errors. Allen Patrick was a wonderful special teams player. However, he had put the ball on the ground a lot that season, and it was clear that Murray should have been the starter. Of course, Bradford gets hurt recovering Patrick's fumble. Then Halzle's lack of playing time bites us for the rest of the half. Further, if you remember it was abundantly clear that OU could have won if it did nothing but run after Bradford got injured. Tech's run defense was that bad.
I'm not disagreeing with your side on this, but teck saw Halzle being all rusty and stacked the line early and often. They knew we were going to run. We didn't really move the ball until Joey got his rhythm and we were able to mix it up.

olevetonahill
7/23/2009, 10:03 PM
Among the things you can count on from Bob:

1. He will not get rid of an assistant coach no matter how much they need
getting rid of.

2. He will not give the 2nd string QB any meaningful reps.

Are you Dense as wax paper ?:rolleyes: :pop:

You said Stoops would not play the 2nd teamer
I answered the Question . That NO BOB will NOT PLAY the 2nd team Position, cause hes the Coach ( Plus I dont think he has any eligibility left )
He has LJ fer that jorb
Pay tention Boy :P :D :D :D :D

okcusooner
7/23/2009, 10:09 PM
I have often wondered how different the game, the rest of the 2007 season, and for that matter the entire 2008 season would have been had Murray started that game rather than Patric. Let's say Murray doesn't fumble on OU's first offensive play of the game...Sam doesn't get injured....OU doesn't fall behind and have Murray on the field for an onsides kick...Murray doesn't dislocate his kneecap on that play....Murray comes into 2008 confident....Murray is up to speed mentally in the 2008 Texas game.......

We all know that some incidents really have a ripple effect. Was this one of them?

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:12 PM
If

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:16 PM
Are you Dense as wax paper ?:rolleyes: :pop:

You said Stoops would not play the 2nd teamer
I answered the Question . That NO BOB will NOT PLAY the 2nd team Position, cause hes the Coach ( Plus I dont think he has any eligibility left )
He has LJ fer that jorb
Pay tention Boy :P :D :D :D :D

I'm too poor to pay tention. :P

...so, yep that flew right by me. :O

sooneron
7/23/2009, 10:21 PM
I answered Jlew's scenario. When the **** is he going to answer?

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:23 PM

Jlew, like several others, has been in over his head in this thread. ;)

In other words: he's just gonna talk in circles and try to confuse you. :D

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:25 PM

a 3td lead aint that safe is it? 5 Td I'd say so... in my opinion..

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:27 PM
a 3td lead aint that safe is it? 5 Td I'd say so... in my opinion..

Dude, if we suck so bad a 3 TD lead isn't safe, we might as well quit anyway. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:28 PM
Damn jlew, I thought we gave you a good education and look what you're doing. :D

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:28 PM
well Our D was not to impressive last year... a lot of the reason is b/c we were up 40 and the other team gave up... but only up 3tds... i still think the opposing team would be coming for us.

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:30 PM
well Our D was not to impressive last year... a lot of the reason is b/c we were up 40 and the other team gave up... but only up 3tds... i still think the opposing team would be coming for us.

Well yeah, I'd hope they wouldn't quit and just walk off the field down 21, but still...2nd half and we're up 3 TD's and can't win -- that would mean we suck.

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:32 PM

Notice how I didn't even take a shot at Venables there? ;) :D

Of course had I, some soccer mom would be on here telling me that because I'm not a D-1 defensive coordinator I can't criticize him. :O

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:32 PM
I think a better question is, will Jones be allowed to run the same kind of offense Sam ran the first 3 quarters.....

then i would agree, up 3 Tds... and let Jones run the true Oklahoma offense.

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:33 PM
but if we are playing a ranked team... i say leave Sam in a little longer....

Crucifax Autumn
7/23/2009, 10:35 PM
mBut can you beat Stoops at horse?

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:36 PM
i couldn't beat him at anything ,.,.... but i would pay a grand to drink beer with him for a night

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:36 PM
I think a better question is, will Jones be allowed to run the same kind of offense Sam ran the first 3 quarters.....

then i would agree, up 3 Tds... and let Jones run the true Oklahoma offense.

That's a whole nother issue. You and I both know that if we're up 3 TD's in the 2nd half we're probably going to pull back on the reins somewhat, and it's even more likely if the backup is in there, who will likely not have the same grasp of the offense that Sam does.

Of course this is all conjecture, because Bob isn't going to play the backup until the 4th quarter anyway, and then only to hand the ball off. ;)

olevetonahill
7/23/2009, 10:38 PM
Jlew, like several others, has been in over his head in this thread. ;)

In other words: he's just gonna talk in circles and try to confuse you. :D

You calling Jlew a LAS ?:eek: :pop:

JLEW1818
yep sucks for Calhoun........

Curly Bill
mBut can you beat Stoops at horse?

Haven't you been paying tention? We have posters on here that know in their hearts that Stoops is God -- he is perfect!

For you to even ask this question is blasphemy. :mad:

;) ;)

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:39 PM

[hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel]

bastard

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:39 PM

In this case...yes, yes I am. :cool:

JLEW1818
7/23/2009, 10:41 PM
"THAT'S NOT TRUE" [hairGel]

olevetonahill
7/23/2009, 10:41 PM
I majored In forestry in College
Then Minored in Smartassology :D

Curly Bill
7/23/2009, 10:42 PM
Anyone think my two sparring partners from earlier are gonna log on here tomorrow and weigh in on this thinking we're having a real donnybrook here?

BoulderSooner79
7/23/2009, 10:48 PM
well another point could be that there isn't as much practice time as there perhaps could be.

There are NCAA limits on practice time and I'm sure most teams use every available minute. This means the focus of every drill and all time spent on every player is balanced against what you don't do. Everything is a tradeoff and yet another thing the coach must decide. That's the reason I'd like to see a few more gadget plays thrown it. It forces the teams down the road to spend precious preparation time something you may not even do (but that's a different thread). But back to the QB thread -- I could find no fault in '07 of investing heavily in Sam's development given our QB situation post-Bohmar. This year is very different.

soonerchris
7/24/2009, 12:22 AM
Hey. Jlew now you fully understand what curly and I have been saying about playing 2nd string qb. Or are you beer guzzling? Just joking!! No offense meant!

JLEW1818
7/24/2009, 12:31 AM
yah, well your first question was about the lack of play time for our back ups...

should are backups play the same style offensive game as the starters is another thing...

yes i would like to see Jones get a couple true offensive drives if we are up this year.

CrimsonJim
7/24/2009, 12:36 AM
The End

soonerchris
7/24/2009, 12:38 AM
You've been converted. Curly did a great job! Never thought this would be such a controversy! Next thread...should stoops wear a real hat!

JLEW1818
7/24/2009, 01:56 AM
well considering.....

J/K

Crucifax Autumn
7/24/2009, 02:21 AM
You've been converted. Curly did a great job! Never thought this would be such a controversy! Next thread...should stoops wear a real hat!

He should wear one of these:

http://www.armyofmom.com/uploaded_images/10-28-07-mickey-and-minnie-hats-748222.jpg

soonerfan28
7/24/2009, 09:27 AM
Yea Stoops will play Jones against BYU, Spud State, K-State and A&M for sure.

Crucifax Autumn
7/25/2009, 12:10 AM
nah...we're gonna be kicking everyone's *** 35-0 halfway through the 2nd quarter and Jones will have more playing time than Bradford!

:P