PDA

View Full Version : Consistent overrated/underachievers (1 team) from each BCS conference

SteelClip49
7/20/2009, 12:30 PM
OREGON
1 conference title this decade. Year after year predicting to be good and always coming up short. usually doing well in the W/L column but as far as being a BCS contender...never seems to happen.

TEXAS TECH
Finally a share of a division title in 2008 but other than being competitive in the XII and pulling occasional upsets of Texas and Oklahoma, never have they played for a conrference title and a BCS bowl. They have a prolific offense every year but you need more than that to be great.

PITTSBURGH
Seriously, other than that ugly BCS performance against Utah in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl, what really has there been to talk about other than preventing a 2007 national title slot for WVU? Wanny talks a big game but the results have yet to be displayed.

CLEMSON
Yes, the answer still is 1991...the last time they were on top of the ACC. They have been competitive in recent years but promises have turned into crap and usually going to mediocre bowls. Danny Ford isn't coming through that tunnel anytime soon.

GEORGIA
2 SEC titles and 2 BCS wins...not bad at all but since Richt has been at the helm....Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Les Miles (with 2 losses) have hoisted the crystal ball for a combined 4 times and UGA hasn't been there. UGA is good but not great. They always set themselves up in prime position to win big games but find ways to lose to teams they shouldn't. A fired Tommy Tuberville even accomplished an undefeated season with Auburn. Last time UGA played for the national title was the 1982 season. Before you know it, it will have been 30 years and Florida will be your ultimate daddy.

WISCONSIN
1999 and 2000 Rose Bowl victories but other than that, NEVER have they played for a national title and for a program that has been around for years with such great hopes and aspirations, they sure have been a lot of hype without any substance. They like to JUMP AROUND but to what?

swardboy
7/20/2009, 12:37 PM
Pretty well nailed it. Except I'd put Tejas right up there with Tech.....

SteelClip49
7/20/2009, 12:41 PM
Reason why I didn't put the Whorns is because of the fact they won the 2005 national title and have 8 consecutive 10+ win seasons. If that title wasn't there, then they would take TTU's place.

jumperstop
7/20/2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah, you can't knock Texas for losing to OU every year, or some how at the end of the season blowing your chance at Big XII title....I mean, they can't help it.

oudivesherpa
7/20/2009, 01:39 PM
Would you say OSU is overrated or just consistently crappy?

soonermix
7/20/2009, 02:03 PM
i might put Cal in there instead of oregon, the reason is basically it seems to me that oregon is year in and year out supposed to be #2 in the pac-usc and everybody else.
and as far as that goes they pretty much live up to those lofty expectations.
cal not really so much

JLEW1818
7/20/2009, 02:41 PM
I would defiantly say Georgia

good thread by the way. 5star

badger
7/20/2009, 02:44 PM
This looks like a fun topic. What the heck...

Big 12: Tech/Texaz - Tech constantly overachieves with its crap location and crap facilities and Texaz underachieves for the exact opposite reason - great location and grat facilites. If this were the 90s, I'd say the same about Kansas State overachieving.

Big 10: Iowa/Penn State - iowa really has no in-state talent, so they've been overachievers when they actually achieve. Penn State, with all of their tradition, big stadium and excellent recruiting grounds, have been perennial underachievers lately... but Joe Pa deserves to go out when he feels like it, so I'm not knocking the underachievers... except by calling them underachievers.

SEC - Tennessee/Georgia: For all of the out-of-state recruiting Tennessee has to do, the fact that they were a perennial program for awhile is quite an achievement. Georgia, on the other hand, likes to chant "overrated" at other programs while they have been overrated for quite some time... no offense to our new bulldog friend on here, but you guys better bring it soon, or get a coach that will.

Pac-10: OregonState/UCLA: Oregon State frequently craps out mid-season, but for them to even be in conference/national title discussions to begin the season has to be great for them, not to mention the annual 'upset' of SC. UCLA needs to really step it up with Slick Rick in charge or something is seriously wrong. You guys have LA, for cripes sake. Use it!

ACC - Clemson/Va Tech: Clemson, oh Clemson, how funny you are. Top recruits, no championships, everyone's beyonce. I am not sure how Va Tech is such a perennial program, but they are, so kudos to them.

Big East: You all fail. Stop stealing the auto BCS spot.

Et al: Utah/Notre Dame: Utah's run at being a legit program is a wonderful thing to behold... since we haven't been on the receiving end of any of their 'upsets.' Notre Dame's fall from grace, considering all of their 'great recruits' is eyebrow raising.

JLEW1818
7/20/2009, 02:52 PM
some guy on College Football live said texas will got 10-2!!! heehee

BoulderSooner79
7/20/2009, 03:52 PM
- Nebraska was consistently over-rated during the Callahan years until ratings finally caught up with (or fell down to) reality. In retrospect, it's amazing they had such a strong program for so long given their location.

- Mizzou seems like it would be a good place for recruiting, but they never seem to excel. The one year they were really good, they had to play OU twice (heh).

OUstud
7/20/2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'd replace Oregon with Oregon State. Sure, they beat USC sometimes and stuff, but then they go out and lose to Stanford or some other crap team. And remember 2001, when UO and OSU were on the SI preseason cover? UO finished like 10-2, and OSU finished 5-6.

MI Sooner
7/20/2009, 04:18 PM
Texas A&M - Being the #2 program in Texas with a huge and passionate fanbase should be enough to get you consistent finishes from #10-#20 nationally.

UCLA - Huge talent pool locally, desirable place to go to school, but still middle of the pack in a mediocre Pac-10.

Penn St. - 15 years between Big 10 titles, great HS football state plus tradition should lead to more championships

No way should TTU be up there. I don't ever recall anyone picking them to win the conference except a few people last year, and they tied for the south. That program should be 5-7 to 7-5 every year, but they haven't had a losing season in 15+ years.

badger
7/20/2009, 04:24 PM
No way should TTU be up there.

I didn't read the thread properly, so I chose both an over and under-achiever. Tech was an overachiever. They are in the middle of the Texaz desert and they still beat top opponents every year.