PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning..."The Eagle has landed."

Okla-homey
7/20/2009, 05:53 AM
July 20, 1969: Armstrong walks on moon

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2161/apollo11.jpg

40 years ago today, at 9:56 p.m. CDT, American astronaut Neil Armstrong, 240,000 miles from Earth, speaks these words to more than a billion people listening at home: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Stepping off the lunar landing module Eagle, Armstrong became the first human to walk on the surface of the moon.

The American effort to send astronauts to the moon has its origins in a famous appeal President John F. Kennedy made to a special joint session of Congress on May 25, 1961: "I believe this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to Earth."

At the time, the United States was still trailing the Soviet Union in space developments, and Cold War-era America welcomed Kennedy's bold proposal.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6619/apollo11patch.jpg

In 1966, after five years of work by an international team of scientists and engineers, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) conducted the first unmanned Apollo mission, testing the structural integrity of the proposed launch vehicle and spacecraft combination.

Then, on January 27, 1967, tragedy struck at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, when a fire broke out during a manned launch-pad test of the Apollo spacecraft and Saturn rocket. Three astronauts were killed in the fire.

Despite the setback, NASA and its thousands of employees forged ahead, and in October 1968, Apollo 7, the first manned Apollo mission, orbited Earth and successfully tested many of the sophisticated systems needed to conduct a moon journey and landing.

In December of the same year, Apollo 8 took three astronauts to the dark side of the moon and back, and in March 1969 Apollo 9 tested the lunar module for the first time while in Earth orbit. Then in May, the three astronauts of Apollo 10 took the first complete Apollo spacecraft around the moon in a dry run for the scheduled July landing mission.

At 9:32 a.m. on July 16, with the world watching, Apollo 11 took off from Kennedy Space Center with astronauts Neil Armstrong, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin Jr., and Michael Collins aboard.

Armstrong, a 38-year-old civilian research pilot, was the commander of the mission. After traveling 240,000 miles in 76 hours, Apollo 11 entered into a lunar orbit on July 19. The next day, at 1:46 p.m., the lunar module Eagle, manned by Armstrong and Aldrin, separated from the command module, where Collins remained.

Two hours later, Eagle began its descent to the lunar surface, and at 4:18 p.m. the craft touched down on the southwestern edge of the Sea of Tranquility. Armstrong immediately radioed to Mission Control in Houston, Texas, a famous message: "The Eagle has landed."

At 10:39 p.m., five hours ahead of the original schedule, Armstrong opened the hatch of the lunar module. As he made his way down the lunar module's ladder, a television camera attached to the craft recorded his progress and beamed the signal back to Earth, where hundreds of millions watched in great anticipation.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2728/apollo11l.jpg

At 9:56 p.m. Oklahoma time, Armstrong spoke his famous quote, which he later contended was slightly garbled by his microphone and meant to be "that's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." He then planted his left foot on the gray, powdery surface, took a cautious step forward, and humanity had walked on the moon.

"Buzz" Aldrin joined him on the moon's surface at 10:11 p.m., and together they took photographs of the terrain, planted a U.S. flag, ran a few simple scientific tests, and spoke with President Richard M. Nixon via Houston. A little past midnight on the night of July 20, 1968, both astronauts were back in the lunar module and the hatch was closed.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7369/a11plaque.jpg

The two men slept that night on the surface of the moon, and at 12:54 p.m. on July 21, Eagle began its ascent back to the command module. Among the items left on the surface of the moon was a plaque that read: "Here men from the planet Earth first set foot on the moon--July 1969 A.D--We came in peace for all mankind."

Armstrong and Aldrin successfully docked and rejoined Collins, and at 11:56 a.m. on July 22, Apollo 11 began its journey home, safely splashing down in the Pacific Ocean at 11:51 p.m. on July 24.

There would be five more successful lunar landing missions, and one unplanned lunar swing-by, Apollo 13. The last men to walk on the moon, astronauts Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt of the Apollo 17 mission, left the lunar surface on December 14, 1972.

The Apollo program was a costly and labor intensive endeavor, involving an estimated 400,000 engineers, technicians, and scientists, and costing $24 billion (close to $100 billion in today's dollars). The expense was justified by Kennedy's 1961 mandate to beat the Soviets to the moon, and after the feat was accomplished ongoing missions lost their viability.

fadada1
7/20/2009, 06:26 AM
wasn't aware that they had stayed the night on the moon.

"hey, buzz. try to get some shut eye. but remember, dude - WE'RE ON THE SURFACE OF THE MOON."

hard to imagine they got a full 8 hours.

MrJimBeam
7/20/2009, 06:54 AM
Very arrogant, us being first to the moon and all. Obama should apologize.

picasso
7/20/2009, 08:16 AM
That was allll fake.

Kinda like the Wizard of Oz.

Okla-homey
7/20/2009, 08:37 PM
We must not let the day pass without remembering Gene Krantz. Krantz was portrayed by Ed Harris in Opie's Apollo 13.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4236/failureisnoaoption.jpg

Krantz took an Apollo Mission Control that was studying its navel, paralyzed with shock and fear, and drifting in the the wake of the Apollo 1 catastrophic pad fire in which three astronauts perished. Krantz and got the program moving again.

Here's his talk to the men of Mission Control following the fire.

"Spaceflight will never tolerate carelessness, incapacity, and neglect. Somewhere, somehow, we screwed up. It could have been in design, build, or test. Whatever it was, we should have caught it. We were too gung ho about the schedule and we locked out all of the problems we saw each day in our work.

Every element of the program was in trouble and so were we. The simulators were not working, Mission Control was behind in virtually every area, and the flight and test procedures changed daily. Nothing we did had any shelf life. Not one of us stood up and said, 'Dammit, stop!'

I don't know what Thompson's committee will find as the cause, but I know what I find. We are the cause! We were not ready! We did not do our job. We were rolling the dice, hoping that things would come together by launch day, when in our hearts we knew it would take a miracle. We were pushing the schedule and betting that the Cape would slip before we did.

From this day forward, Flight Control will be known by two words: 'Tough' and 'Competent.' Tough means we are forever accountable for what we do or what we fail to do. We will never again compromise our responsibilities. Every time we walk into Mission Control we will know what we stand for. Competent means we will never take anything for granted. We will never be found short in our knowledge and in our skills. Mission Control will be perfect.

When you leave this meeting today you will go to your office and the first thing you will do there is to write 'Tough and Competent' on your blackboards. It will never be erased. Each day when you enter the room these words will remind you of the price paid by Grissom, White, and Chaffee. These words are the price of admission to the ranks of Mission Control."

soonerbrat
7/21/2009, 11:06 AM
More importantly, it was 11 days before I was born :D

yermom
7/21/2009, 08:44 PM
We must not let the day pass without remembering Gene Krantz. Krantz was portrayed by Ed Harris in Opie's Apollo 13.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4236/failureisnoaoption.jpg

Krantz took an Apollo Mission Control that was studying its navel, paralyzed with shock and fear, and drifting in the the wake of the Apollo 1 catastrophic pad fire in which three astronauts perished. Krantz and got the program moving again.

Here's his talk to the men of Mission Control following the fire.

that's awesome. i really need to see that flick again.

olevetonahill
7/21/2009, 09:47 PM
More importantly, it was 11 days before I was born :D

Thats so cool Brat
I was on an Ambush patrol Looking up at the Moon thinkin
" If we can do that , Why in hell cant we STOP war ":pop:

The Remnant
7/22/2009, 12:52 AM
Olevetonahill, that is a powerful statement. How can we change man's evil nature? It is well beyond me. I am only a sinner saved by grace. Nothing more. Nothing less.

SoonerStormchaser
7/22/2009, 12:56 AM
Thats so cool Brat
I was on an Ambush patrol Looking up at the Moon thinkin
" If we can do that , Why in hell cant we STOP war ":pop:

My wife was just starting to get her Social Security checks and AARP discounts...;)