PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame is funny

meoveryouxinfinity
7/19/2009, 10:13 AM
If you want a laugh, read this.

Updated: July 17, 2009, 6:12 PM ET
Swarbrick praises Weis
Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Jack Swarbrick's first year as Notre Dame athletic director has been a strange dichotomy.

"In once sense it's a blur, in another it feels like I've been doing it for five years," Swarbrick said from his office Friday, one day past the one-year anniversary of being named to the job at his alma mater.

The former Indianapolis attorney's most high-profile move so far was bringing back football coach Charlie Weis for a fifth season after the Irish finished the regular-season with a 6-6 record.

Weis has a 29-21 record with Notre Dame, a .580 winning percentage that puts him just behind the .583 winning percentage of his two predecessors, Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham.

Swarbrick sees reason for optimism for the upcoming season. He points to the additions of Frank Verducci as offensive line coach, Tony Alford as running backs coach and Randy Hart as defensive line coach. He also cites another year of strong recruiting.

"It helps provide the depth and, importantly, improves the competitive environment at practice," he said.

Swarbrick also believes there will be a better team dynamic this season. He says Notre Dame's 49-21 over Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl has led to improved team spirit and camaraderie.

"I feel very good about our preparations," he said.

Swarbrick also had positive words about Weis, saying he hadn't been given enough credit for coaching through all the pain he was in last season.

The 53-year-old Weis injured his left knee on Sept. 13 when defensive end John Ryan, who is 6-foot-5 and 264 pounds, was blocked into the coach during the Michigan game. Doctors told Weis the damage was so severe it appeared that he had been in a car crash. In December, he had his right knee replaced because of severe deterioration of the bone.

Swarbrick praised Weis for coaching without taking pain medication, so he could remain clear-headed.

He said there is a long list of factors by which Weis will be measured this season, beyond wins, losses and graduation success rates. Swarbrick said there are certain statistics he pays attention to more than others, such as third-down conversion rates on both offense and defense.

Swarbrick has had more than football on his mind the past year. One of the highlights of his first year was the announcement that the board of trustees in February had approved construction of a 5,000-seat ice hockey arena that will open for the 2011-12 season. The school also consolidated its medical services, strength and conditioning, and nutrition departments into a sports performance division.

"I think it will give our students a competitive edge," he said.

Notre Dame also is preparing to open new facilities for soccer, lacrosse and track and field.

He heads into the start of his second year focusing on developing a strategic plan while also reorganizing the athletic department. He's also trying to cut costs and increase revenue during these tough economic times. He said the school is trying to come up with ways to do more events on football game days that could bring in more money and to explore more ways to bring in more advertising through new media.

He also expects the year to fly by again.

"When I was a student here it didn't feel like the academic year went by this fast," he said.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

WOW Praising him for coaching while hurt!! LOL!! JoePa did it and WON!

stoopified
7/19/2009, 01:06 PM
If you want a laugh, read this.

WOW Praising him for coaching while hurt!! LOL!! JoePa did it and WON!Barry did it too after getting run into on the sidelines.Personally I'm thinking ND will suck again this year.

Eielson
7/19/2009, 01:07 PM
I really do think that Weis will turn ND around if they let him stay long enough.

Seamus
7/19/2009, 01:56 PM
I really do think that Notre Dame is an enormous, steaming pile of satanic demon stool that needs to be sent back to its brimstone-infused lair in the seventh ring of hell.

FIXED.

badger
7/19/2009, 02:42 PM
The funny thing about college football is that when programs that didn't win over and over start winning, other programs that used to win a lot have to start losing.

Look at the top 10... from the end of last season. Utah at No. 2? TCU at 7?! Oregon at 10?

Thus, something's gotta give - and Notre Dame has given up winning to other programs. How generous of them.

Eielson
7/19/2009, 04:18 PM
FIXED.

Yeah, that too.

guzziguy
7/19/2009, 06:05 PM
See signature tag below.

silverwheels
7/19/2009, 06:56 PM
Barry did it too after getting run into on the sidelines.Personally I'm thinking ND will suck again this year.

They've got a pretty soft schedule with only a few games they should lose. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 8 or 9, but I hope they don't.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/19/2009, 06:59 PM
Edited

The 53-year-old, 6-foot-3 and 450 pound Weis injured his left knee on Sept. 13 when defensive end John Ryan, who is 6-foot-5 and 264 pounds, was blocked into the coach during the Michigan game. Doctors told Weis the damage was so severe it appeared that he had been in a car crash.

What happens when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object?

CBUS_SOONER
7/19/2009, 08:31 PM
Good thing the CUSE isn't on the schedule this yr.

sooneron
7/19/2009, 08:53 PM
They've got a pretty soft schedule with only a few games they should lose. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 8 or 9, but I hope they don't.

8 wins will all but guarantee them a bcs invite!:texan:

oudivesherpa
7/19/2009, 09:15 PM
8 wins will all but guarantee them a bcs invite!:texan:

I'd love to play Notre Dame in a bcs bowl.

DarrellZero
7/19/2009, 09:15 PM
450 lbs?

Wow, that's up in Mangino territory.

goingoneight
7/19/2009, 11:09 PM
But... but... he held a clipboard and made friends with Tom Brady this one time.

fadada1
7/20/2009, 06:05 AM
unfortunately, nd will win some games this year. have you seen their schedule???? looks like they pieced together a bunch of games from a list my wife might make up - simply because she's heard of all the service academies.

nd will get a free pass on the "strength of schedule" argument.

Eielson
7/20/2009, 10:49 AM
I remember once when everybody said that Notre Dame robbed Oregon of a BCS spot.

Then some barely ranked, freshman quarterback led, wicked awesome team put them in their place.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2005/1229/photo/g_peterson_412.jpg

oudivesherpa
7/20/2009, 11:44 AM
My Dad and Brother were Notre Dame Alumni. My first college football game was when I was 12 in 1956 to see the "Great" Notre Dame versus Oklahoma in South Bend. In the forth quarter, OU was kicking their butts(40-0) but the fans were still in the stadium and still cheering so loudly the PA system asked the fans to quite down. I asked my Dad why the fans were yelling so loudly and he said, you support your team whether winning or losing.

So much for the fatherly homily, I went to OU anyway and had a great time!

The_Red_Patriot
7/20/2009, 12:02 PM
450 lbs?

Wow, that's up in Mangino territory.

Did someone say mark Mangino?

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/12/manginoorange.jpg

http://www.bringonthecats.com/images/admin/mangino1.jpg

badger
7/20/2009, 12:23 PM
I asked my Dad why the fans were yelling so loudly and he said, you support your team whether winning or losing.

They kept their sold out streak going despite the craptacular 2007 season. can't say many programs would have done the same.