PDA

View Full Version : Walter Cronkite: Former OU radio voice dies

Jay C. Upchurch
7/17/2009, 09:22 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/walter-cronkite-dies-at-92/577373?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews. aol.com%2Farticle%2Fwalter-cronkite-dies-at-92%2F577373

Cronkite was the voice for OU football during a stretch in the 1930s.... before going on to become an icon in the world of news and politics

He was indeed a legend!

Speck
7/17/2009, 09:44 PM
Kind of ironic, three days before the anniversary of the moon landing.

What a loss.

CrimsonJim
7/17/2009, 09:59 PM
Cronkite was the voice for OU football during a stretch in the 1930s.... before going on to become an icon in the world of news and politics

Now that I did not know. Thanks for the post, Jay!

soonerloyal
7/17/2009, 10:04 PM
I'll always remember his voice, as he reported about the Vietnam War - and how much he hated losing all those warriors. I'll forgive him for the whole "We're TEXAS" thing.

Goodnight, Walter. Thanks for the News.

stoopified
7/17/2009, 11:17 PM
I'll miss you Walter.

beer4me
7/18/2009, 06:10 AM
When I was a boy I used to pretend I was him. I would sit at a desk in my room and face the mirror with papers in my hand I would give the news to myself:)

RIP WC

Crucifax Autumn
7/18/2009, 06:30 AM
Cronkite was a genuine guy that managed to report the news impartially right up to the near end of Nam. His reports from D-Day are legendary and his coverage of the Kennedy assassination and the moon landing are historic. Many dislike him for his statement about Viet-Nam being unwinnable and destined to end in stalemate, but he was right if we followed the path we were on and didn't choose to just nuke them or go all out and destroy them indescriminitely, as we saw.

The biggest shame is how when Dan Rather replaced him on CBS at the anchor desk, they didn't utilize him more than they did, apparently for the sole purpose of making Rather the man. I don't care about the debate about Rather's left-leaning ways, but he was clearly bat**** crazy and opinionated which Cronkite never was until he was an elder statesman of journalism.

Cronkite will never be replicated. He IS news.

MichiganSooner
7/18/2009, 07:59 AM
I just read in the paper about him broadcasting OU at Tulsa and could not keep up with the play; never knew that. I remember watching a show i the early 1960's called the 20th Century that he moderated. It was movie clips of World War 1 and 2 and other news items. And when the space race began, I was really into that. I would sit in front of the TV for hours and hear every word he said about each flight.

wishbonesooner
7/18/2009, 09:09 AM
When my mom passed away in May, my family was at her house, and I was describing to my grandsons how I sat in this particular chair and listened to Cronkite on that July afternoon reporting on the Apollo 11 moon landing. I told them about watching Lee Harvey Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby and Cronkite describing it all. Do any of you remember how they used to have a weekly scorecard on the Vietnam War? They'd have the casualty numbers for us and the North Vietnamese. What a weird time those days were, and Walter Cronkite was a calming voice during that whole thing. Another icon of my youth passes on to his reward.

MichiganSooner
7/18/2009, 08:35 PM
I don't remember the weekly scorecard but I remember events being televised; not as thorough as they were during the first Gulf War but the war was definitely on tv.

Does anyone remember listening to Walter do OU games?

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/18/2009, 10:15 PM
I'd be REAL surprised if anyone with firsthand memories of the 1930s posted on this board.