PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a group of Dawgs headed to Stillwater this Labor Day?...

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 02:10 PM
I have already been banded from the Okie State board for calling them Okie State (2nd fiddle in the state complex I guess)....so I will have to ask the Sooners what to do in Stillwater and Tulsa.

Sooner_Havok
7/16/2009, 02:12 PM
I have already been banded from the Okie State board for calling them Okie State (2nd fiddle in the state complex I guess)....so I will have to ask the Sooners what to do in Stillwater and Tulsa.

Tulsa, plenty

Stillwater, Eskimo Joes. Get tired of that, and you are SOL friend.

Boomer Mooner
7/16/2009, 02:15 PM
Tulsa, plenty

Stillwater, Road trip to tulsa.

Fixed.

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 02:16 PM
We are staying in Tulsa and just driving over for the day for the game. Anywhere to grab a drink or 27 before the game?

badger
7/16/2009, 02:20 PM
Get the tiny liquor bottles and smuggle 'em in. Any chick that attends football in Oklahoma will tell ya that a nice little purse with female stuff on top does not get sufficiently checked, making it the ideal hiding place for such alkee bottles :D

This way, you can take it into the game, dump it into your souvenir cup Coke, and get to be the drunkest d@mn dawg in all of stilly :D

Totally forego the bar crap ahead of time... there really isn't a lot of that in Stilly of note. I think they have BWW and of course Joe's... I don't get out there too often (for good reason!)

Trust me on the purse thingie - check their stadium regs to see how large of a purse you can have the missus bring in

PS - if you're worried about driving drunk, you should know that traffic outta stilly to tulsa and okc is HELL after games. you will sober up just waiting to get out of your parking space.

Boomer.....
7/16/2009, 02:21 PM
Whatever you do, leave your animals at home!

Boomer.....
7/16/2009, 02:28 PM
What part of Tulsa are you staying? There are only about a billion bars and restaurants.

setem
7/16/2009, 02:34 PM
I went to the Dragon's Lair last night...pretty good time!

TheHumanAlphabet
7/16/2009, 03:22 PM
We are staying in Tulsa and just driving over for the day for the game. Anywhere to grab a drink or 27 before the game?

The aggie barn gutter. ;)

Dawgs - you from GA? If so, I would equate Stoolwater to like Valdosta or Plains. Griffin would be a step up for Stoolwater. Columbus > Stoolwater. It is definitely no Athens.

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 03:27 PM
Shoot...my sister in law can fit 750ml bottles of Jim Beam in her bra, bra.

Curly Bill
7/16/2009, 03:28 PM
Ya got any pictures?

...of your SIL that is? :D

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 03:28 PM
What part of Tulsa are you staying? There are only about a billion bars and restaurants.

Crowne Plaze downtown.

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 03:29 PM
Ya got any pictures?

http://www.doubleviking.com/hotties/d/712-2/img46cef5b89b653.jpg

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 03:30 PM
Get the tiny liquor bottles and smuggle 'em in. Any chick that attends football in Oklahoma will tell ya that a nice little purse with female stuff on top does not get sufficiently checked, making it the ideal hiding place for such alkee bottles :D

This way, you can take it into the game, dump it into your souvenir cup Coke, and get to be the drunkest d@mn dawg in all of stilly :D

Totally forego the bar crap ahead of time... there really isn't a lot of that in Stilly of note. I think they have BWW and of course Joe's... I don't get out there too often (for good reason!)

Trust me on the purse thingie - check their stadium regs to see how large of a purse you can have the missus bring in

PS - if you're worried about driving drunk, you should know that traffic outta stilly to tulsa and okc is HELL after games. you will sober up just waiting to get out of your parking space.

Thanks...we are either going to limo or party van it over from Tulsa with a driver.

Curly Bill
7/16/2009, 03:31 PM
Alrighty then. :D

Boomer Mooner
7/16/2009, 03:34 PM
Ya got any pictures?

I nominate Curly Bill for the best question of the day.

SoonerTank
7/16/2009, 03:37 PM

I second that! :D

Curly Bill
7/16/2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys, I had a premonition. :D

NormanPride
7/16/2009, 03:48 PM
Downtown doesn't have TOO much going on, but there is a nice bar attached to the Crowne Plaza called the Daily Grill, I think. Just down the street a few blocks is a place called McNellie's that has about 200+ different types of beer, and it's a fair irish pub as well.

Mexican food is across the street from that in El Guapo's. A pretty good Tequila bar there, as well as some of the better Mexican in Tulsa. There's a Pizza joint right next to there as well called JoeMama's. I'm not sure how good they are but my friends seem to like them.

Other than that, there's a ton of bars on what's called Brookside. It's a stretch of road on Peoria between 31st and 41st. Cabbies will know where it is.

oudivesherpa
7/16/2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks...we are either going to limo or party van it over from Tulsa with a driver.

DAWG--Both my sons are from Georgia, the oldest is a OU grad, the youngest GA State and I lived in Georgia for ten years, so I think I can help you get a feel for Stillwater and Okie State. When you think Stillwater think Auburn but more rural. When you think of Okie State Fans, think Clemson fans, just "hickier".

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 03:52 PM
Downtown doesn't have TOO much going on, but there is a nice bar attached to the Crowne Plaza called the Daily Grill, I think. Just down the street a few blocks is a place called McNellie's that has about 200+ different types of beer, and it's a fair irish pub as well.

Mexican food is across the street from that in El Guapo's. A pretty good Tequila bar there, as well as some of the better Mexican in Tulsa. There's a Pizza joint right next to there as well called JoeMama's. I'm not sure how good they are but my friends seem to like them.

Other than that, there's a ton of bars on what's called Brookside. It's a stretch of road on Peoria between 31st and 41st. Cabbies will know where it is.

Thanks...would you say El Guapo's has a plethora of Tequila?

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 03:55 PM
DAWG--Both my sons are from Georgia, the oldest is a OU grad, the youngest GA State and I lived in Georgia for ten years, so I think I can help you get a feel for Stillwater and Okie State. When you think Stillwater think Auburn but more rural. When you think of Okie State Fans, think Clemson fans, just "hickier".

Hmmm...more hickier than the hick schools of Alabama and Sub Carolina?

Damn.

I have a feeling out tailgate will be next to this gal...http://outhouserag.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/redneck_1.jpg

NormanPride
7/16/2009, 03:56 PM

Yes, I would say that. It's a three-level restaurant with a margarita bar on the second floor and a patio on the third. Though it will probably be too hot to use the patio. :D

jumperstop
7/16/2009, 03:58 PM
http://www.doubleviking.com/hotties/d/712-2/img46cef5b89b653.jpg

Better question is why do you have a picture of your sister in her bra? ;)

DAWGS
7/16/2009, 03:59 PM
Better question is why do you have a picture of your sister in her bra? ;)

Sister IN LAW....

And they Law says it is all good.

oudivesherpa
7/16/2009, 04:01 PM
Oh, when talking to Okie State fans, speak real slow and use single syllable words. Or, just point and grunt.

jumperstop
7/16/2009, 04:02 PM
As for what to do in Stoolwater, there isn't much to do. Joe's is the thing that everyone does when they go to Stoolwater, it's pretty good and they got ok drinks. Never been there before a game though. Also I know the strip has some ok bars but like Joe's, never been there before the game. One thing is sure is that there will be lots of gawking orange sheep humpers anywhere you go in Stillwater, it's like they've never seen an opposing fan before.

silverwheels
7/16/2009, 04:04 PM
Hope you like the smell of animal poop and the general feel of the early '80s permeating the town.

beer4me
7/16/2009, 04:07 PM
Hope you like the smell of animal poop and the general feel of the early 1880s permeating the town.

Fixed it fer ya

SoonerInFortSmith
7/16/2009, 04:55 PM

I haven't heard that word since the last time I was at a Tulsa Booker T. Washington high school football game. I don't know if he's still there, but their PA guy used to use it about every 90 seconds.

"... a plethora of Hornets in on that tackle."
"... a plethora of flags on the play."

It was like he graduated from Stoolwater Tech and was proud that he knew such a "big" word.

A-M
7/16/2009, 06:15 PM

Personally, I could have done without the picture myself, but I'm sure that you guys enjoyed it very much! :D

gotpoi73
7/16/2009, 06:30 PM
Just keep wishing you were in Norman!

AlbqSooner
7/16/2009, 07:07 PM
If you are taking a limo or party van to the game, just use that for your pre-game drinking. I went to the Citrus bowl in '88 OU vs Clemson. The analogy between pokie state fans and Clemson fans is pretty much spot on.

olevetonahill
7/16/2009, 07:10 PM
Personally, I could have done without the picture myself, but I'm sure that you guys enjoyed it very much! :D

I just admired that Bottle :D

Boomer Mooner
7/16/2009, 08:00 PM

There was a bottle? I just saw two legs making a perfect *** of themselves.

recemp
7/16/2009, 09:04 PM
Question? I think you got the best answer!

Crucifax Autumn
7/16/2009, 11:07 PM
Best piece of advice I have for your visit: Don't drop the soap.

OSUAggie
7/16/2009, 11:36 PM
Stillwater:

There are several watering holes that are typically a good time. Best bar in town .. err, best drinks, at least ... is probably Stonewall, which is between The Strip and Joe's (on Knoblock between Maple and University). Willie's (on the Strip - Washington St.) usually has a good crowd and somewhat solid live music. I'm sure Dirty's is still around. I can't really stand the place, but you can pick up some decent tail most of the time from there. Everyone heads to Murphy's after midnight-ish. All of those places are on the Strip, as are a few others that tend to be full of **** kickers and the like.

Eskimo Joe's is basically a club at night and a restaurant during the day. It's cool to see, but I wouldn't spend much time there (although it's somewhat fun on gameday with the beer gardens they set up).

There'll be a lot of tailgates (not like SEC tailgates, but good for the Big XII) and most people will offer you a beer or whatever they may be drinking if you just walk up and say hello. If you're with a group, that'll probably be your best option.

Entertainment options in SWO consist of golf and drinking.

Tulsa:

There are several districts that are worth your time. Brookside, Cherry St., and Blue Dome are a few. Most bars in those 'hoods are solid options, with Blue Dome (downtown) having more in the way of live music.

I'd recommend exactly what you're doing as far as only hitting up Stillwater on gameday, 'cause it's basically just a typical college town that you can get the feel of in a day. It's a good time, but not worth an extended stay or anything.

hgarmorer
7/17/2009, 01:52 AM
^^^
thread killer

just kidding

SteelClip49
7/17/2009, 04:04 AM
Tulsa has Quiktrips....STOP THERE!!!! And wow, your SIL sure proves me wrong about Georgia women being DAWGS.

MrJimBeam
7/17/2009, 07:12 AM
Memorize the words to every Cross Canadian Ragweed song. That way you'll have at least one thing in common with the aggies, cause lord knows you can't talk football with'em. Does UGA have a wresslin team?

SoonersEnFuego
7/17/2009, 07:19 AM
I feel left out. All I see is red X.

soonerhubs
7/17/2009, 07:34 AM
As a soonerfan who is attending gradschool up here in Stillwater, I'd recommend other places than Joe's for food. Eskimo Joe's fries take disgusting to a ridiculously low level. If you like the barbecue, I'd recommend Cherokee Strip. If you like a good morning diner, Moms is top notch on the south end of town. I'm LDS so I can't tell you of any good drinking places. At least not from personal experience. :D

KingBarry
7/17/2009, 08:09 AM

EXCELLENT! I thought myself and my sister were the only people in the world still making jokes like that.

Maybe there's a little colony of fans down there in GA?

hgarmorer
7/17/2009, 08:44 AM
I feel left out. All I see is red X.

Right there with you. Damn firewalls...wait till I get home

A-M
7/17/2009, 10:57 AM

Well, that sure does make me feel better about you!;)

Harry Beanbag
7/17/2009, 11:55 AM
...what to do in Stillwater...

Sheep. That's about it.

goingoneight
7/17/2009, 01:15 PM
If you're into that kinda thing...

You're welcome to hang around and go to a real stadium the next week.

olevetonahill
7/17/2009, 01:27 PM
Well, that sure does make me feel better about you!;)

Im a drunk Not a Perv
Oh wait Im pretty Much perverted when Im drunk so scratch that:D

Fraggle145
7/17/2009, 01:46 PM

Yep. I did my masters in Athens and you arent going to find anything in Stillwater that comes even remotely close to the Athens bar scene. oudivesherpa's post is pretty dead on for what to expect. You might also say they are like South Carolina fans with a little bit more hope.

Stay in Tulsa go to brookside, be prepared to pay a cover for some of the places. Stillwater sucks ***.

Fraggle145
7/17/2009, 01:47 PM
Memorize the words to every Cross Canadian Ragweed song. That way you'll have at least one thing in common with the aggies, cause lord knows you can't talk football with'em. Does UGA have a wresslin team?

nope they dont.

DAWGS
7/17/2009, 02:10 PM
Just found out one of the wimmenz in our traveling party is going to be 5 months preggers. That should go over well with the 104 degree temp / 2:30 kickoff.

Atleast we have a DD for the weekend.

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/alessandra-ambrosio-pregnant.jpg

DAWGS
7/17/2009, 02:13 PM
You might also say they are like South Carolina fans with a little bit more hope.

\.

Not possible. The cocks crown themselves mythical national champions every off-season. Always have, always will. It is a cultural phenomena. Something to do with the water supply / Savannah River nuclear testing facility I believe.

badger
7/17/2009, 02:21 PM
Not possible. The cocks crown themselves mythical national champions every off-season. Always have, always will. It is a cultural phenomena. Something to do with the water supply / Savannah River nuclear testing facility I believe.

Sooo... what else can you tell us about your little SEC brothers? :D

Details, please... we're probably gonna end up playing them all eventually.

Also, next time you're on Gameday, can you please not chant "overated" when they mention us? We're really nice people, you see, and we wouldn't do that to you :)

CK Sooner
7/17/2009, 02:30 PM
Just found out one of the wimmenz in our traveling party is going to be 5 months preggers. That should go over well with the 104 degree temp / 2:30 kickoff.

Atleast we have a DD for the weekend.

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/alessandra-ambrosio-pregnant.jpg

I am tailgating with you.

DAWGS
7/17/2009, 02:31 PM
Also, next time you're on Gameday, can you please not chant "overated" when they mention us? We're really nice people, you see, and we wouldn't do that to you :)

I was preaching Sooner all season last year and pulling for you with every ounce of my soul in that game in Miami.

As you guys now know...the gayturds wear jean shorts and mesh shirts with orange crocs, drive 1980's camero's, are mulleted and have pencil thin blond mustachios (which is my costume this year for our game on 10.31.09)

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6919/mullet9xk.jpg

AND LSU fans smell like corndogs.

Fraggle145
7/17/2009, 02:47 PM
Auburn fans are the ****ing worst ever. LSU isnt too far behind.

PLaw
7/19/2009, 09:42 AM

Dawg fan, first of all it's "STOOLWATER". Secondly, there is only one bar - Eskimo Joe's, good luck after that.

BOOMER

tommieharris91
7/19/2009, 10:36 AM
I was preaching Sooner all season last year and pulling for you with every ounce of my soul in that game in Miami.

As you guys now know...the gayturds wear jean shorts and mesh shirts with orange crocs, drive 1980's camero's, are mulleted and have pencil thin blond mustachios (which is my costume this year for our game on 10.31.09)

Sounds like OSU fans.

Sooner_Bob
7/19/2009, 05:33 PM
As a soonerfan who is attending gradschool up here in Stillwater, I'd recommend other places than Joe's for food. Eskimo Joe's fries take disgusting to a ridiculously low level. If you like the barbecue, I'd recommend Cherokee Strip. If you like a good morning diner, Moms is top notch on the south end of town. I'm LDS so I can't tell you of any good drinking places. At least not from personal experience. :D

You don't like Joe's fries? Seriously?

I agree about the Cherokee Strip's BBQ . . . I think its quite a bit better than Rib Crib.

Unless Georgia fans are staying quite a long time in OK I can't imagine staying in Tulsa rather than Stillwater for the game.

Stillwater is a college town (granted it ain't Norman, but it ain't that bad either) . . . but if you can't find something to do before or after the game I'm not sure what to tell you.

Harry Beanbag
7/19/2009, 05:37 PM
Georgia fans can expect a slight difference between Stillwater this season and Tempe last year.

Frozen Sooner
7/19/2009, 05:47 PM
EXCELLENT! I thought myself and my sister were the only people in the world still making jokes like that.

Maybe there's a little colony of fans down there in GA?

I made that exact same joke when I went there for the first time before the Tulsa game in 2007. Then I ate the wet burrito, topped it off with a bunch of sangria and tequila, wandered around the university looking for the SF tailgate party, got heat stroke, and yargled before the game.

How do you know it's a mail plane?

GKeeper316
7/19/2009, 06:31 PM
i dont care what everyone else says... the Fowl Thing at Joe's is one of the best grilled chicken sandwiches on the planet.

other than that stillwater sucks donkey balls. i should know... i went to that ****ty school for a year and a half (grew up in blanchard... attending OU would have meant living at home, and nobody wants that).

and the trick to beating the traffic into and out of stillwater is knowing the backroads. stay on highway 51 and ya, a couple hours at least to get back to tulsa.

honestly i wouldnt even bother with a bar in stoolwater. just get back to tulsa as fast as possible.

and give me your sister in law's digits. she looks like she needs me.

OSUAggie
7/19/2009, 07:13 PM
stay on highway 51 and ya, a couple hours at least to get back to tulsa.

No wonder you transferred/got kicked the **** out.

Who takes 51 to Tulsa? The 'pike has been around for 3-1/2 decades now.

Sooner_Bob
7/19/2009, 08:00 PM

I think he meant Yale . . .

GKeeper316
7/19/2009, 08:25 PM

i refuse to use oklahoma turnpikes.

according to the turnpike authority's charter, they have to dissolve the agency when all the turnpikes are paid for, at which time they would fall under the state highway system, but in order to keep their bureaucracy, they just build more turnpikes (at taxpayer expense) so that there will always be turnpikes that need to be paid for.

people that use the turnpikes are *******s. the fact that they dont even know why is the realy sad part.

and i neither transferred nor was i kicked the **** out. i enlisted in the marines and fought a war. so **** you, you stinkin worthless sheep ****in cowpuke.

olevetonahill
7/19/2009, 08:58 PM
i refuse to use oklahoma turnpikes.

according to the turnpike authority's charter, they have to dissolve the agency when all the turnpikes are paid for, at which time they would fall under the state highway system, but in order to keep their bureaucracy, they just build more turnpikes (at taxpayer expense) so that there will always be turnpikes that need to be paid for.

people that use the turnpikes are *******s. the fact that they dont even know why is the realy sad part.

and i neither transferred nor was i kicked the **** out. i enlisted in the marines and fought a war. so **** you, you stinkin worthless sheep ****in cowpuke.

Any one given an aggie hell and that went to War deserves Green :D

Curly Bill
7/19/2009, 09:24 PM
...and he refuses to pay to drive down the road, that's another win. ;)

olevetonahill
7/19/2009, 09:28 PM
Plus hes smart enough to get the hell out of aggie land .
This dude just keeps gettin better

olevetonahill
7/19/2009, 09:29 PM
I gonna go see why he was red .
that shat aint eight to me a dude that left that shathole and went to war. was red while an aggie is green :confused:

Curly Bill
7/19/2009, 09:31 PM
Get back to us with a report.

Sabanball
7/19/2009, 09:36 PM
Is Casa Bonita still around in Tulsa?

olevetonahill
7/19/2009, 09:40 PM
Get back to us with a report.

Only thing I saw was he said barry Sanders should be on that list ahead of Little Joe
But since nether were on it he gets a pass :D

Curly Bill
7/19/2009, 09:41 PM
He also talked bad about JC Watts here a while back, that could have been it too. Might have even been me that negged him for that.

olevetonahill
7/19/2009, 09:46 PM
He also talked bad about JC Watts here a while back, that could have been it too. Might have even been me that negged him for that.

Hell Ive dissed JC when it came to his Politics tho ;)

JLEW1818
7/19/2009, 09:47 PM
JC the ****!

Curly Bill
7/19/2009, 09:49 PM
Hell Ive dissed JC when it came to his Politics tho ;)

Well I haven't, and if some nOOb was dissing him I easily could have decided to make him red for it. :D

badger
7/20/2009, 07:14 AM

if you're a poke fan, you should be a big fan of this, because despite the fact that the stadium with his namesake is built and will open for business this fall, T. Boone (the T stands for Tang) will continue to donate funds (which he will then invest himself) to continue to have control over OSU.

let's see how long it takes for the athletic village to go up, heh :D

Boomer.....
7/20/2009, 07:42 AM
Is Casa Bonita still around in Tulsa?

Yes it is. Food is meh though.