PDA

View Full Version : Switzer was (and still is) the man...

sooner59
7/16/2009, 12:51 AM
This is from a horn fan even. Plus I have heard more stories similar to this about Jack Mildren and others. Given that recruiting has changed alot since then, I still say Barry was the best recruiter I have ever heard of.

"Let me start this by saying I'm a Longhorn fan and can't stand Oklahoma or Bob Stoops. That being said I love Barry Switzer. He's a funny guy and a great coach. He's somebody that you definitely feel like you could have a beer with. Stoops on the other hand seems distant. Stoops is a prick but there's no denying he's a great coach. For everyone bashing the BCS failures, the point is he made it there. OU was terrible before he got there and he's built a juggernaut program.

As far as what Switzer says about the record, I agree if he meant he will win more games but I don't think he will win more championships. OU will always be good but recently they've gotten away from what used to make them great. They used to field tough nasty defenses. Seems they are more enamored with the long ball now.

True story about Barry Switzer. I overheard Billy Sims tell this one at a high school basketball game. Coach Darrell Royal arrives at Billy's house in the early morning in Billy's hometown of Hooks, Tx. Billy's mom and Coach Royal politely talk on the front porch about Billy. Billy's mother invites the coach in the house and after talking some more invites him to join the family for breakfast. Coach Royal thinking he has won the mother over and now has the inside track on Switzer graciously accepts and takes a seat at the table. He's speaking with the family and the kitchen door opens up and with plates in his hand and an apron on there stands....Barry Switzer. While Royal was talking with the mother he didn't realize that Barry had beaten him to the punch and was in the kitchen cooking breakfast. Upon seeing this Coach Royal politely excused himself and went on his merry way. That was Switzer in a nutshell. Willing to do WHATEVER it took to get his guy. "

soonerchris
7/16/2009, 01:04 AM
Did he have to walk backwards out of the house to cover the **** stain on the back of his pants?!

Jacie
7/16/2009, 06:13 AM
I never understood why Darrel Royal disliked Barry Switzer (or at least was portrayed that way). Was there an incident, beyond Switzer's team beating Royal's teams at what was the twilight of his career or was it just a generational thing. Barry was pretty young when he took over as head coach. That helped OU project an image of being different and edgy as college athletic programs go. That Barry was able to beat teams coached by the old guard (Royal, Hayes, Schembechler, Paterno) was kind of an in-your-face thing.

Royal's replacement, Fred Akers, was actually on good terms with Barry and this is just a personal theory of mine, that was the underlying reason an otherwise pretty decent coach was let go by the whorns. They so hated Barry that they couldn't stand having their coach be pals with him.

sooner518
7/16/2009, 08:40 AM
Wasnt Royal always mad due to the fact that SWC coaches were only allowed one in-home visit to a recruit and Switzer (and most any other coach) practically lived with the families of big-time recruits? He perceived this as cheating I guess?

who cares. Im just glad Switzer and Stoops are our guys and DKR and Mack are their guys.

jumperstop
7/16/2009, 08:52 AM
Let me start this by saying I'm a Longhorn fan and can't stand Oklahoma or Bob Stoops. That being said I love Barry Switzer. He's a funny guy and a great coach. He's somebody that you definitely feel like you could have a beer with. Stoops on the other hand seems distant. Stoops is a prick but there's no denying he's a great coach. For everyone bashing the BCS failures, the point is he made it there. OU was terrible before he got there and he's built a juggernaut program.

I don't know where he gets the idea that Stoops is a prick, he has always come off as a very personable, nice, moral family man, who cares not only about his players as players but also as people.This guy must think that he seems distant because he doesn't have 'private pratice sesions' with his favorite starting QBs like Mack does.

bluedogok
7/16/2009, 10:29 PM
Royal's replacement, Fred Akers, was actually on good terms with Barry and this is just a personal theory of mine, that was the underlying reason an otherwise pretty decent coach was let go by the w*horns*. They so hated Barry that they couldn't stand having their coach be pals with him.
Akers was fired for the same reason that Gibbs was, they weren't the coaches they replaced and didn't "win enough" to satisfy those whose hearts were still with the previous coach.

Crucifax Autumn
7/16/2009, 10:51 PM
True, but Akers was a big friggin' doofus and a wimpy guy as far as game decisions and I don't think Gibbs could be that big a ***** if he wore a skirt, a rainbow shirt and put carnations behind his ears.

MyT Oklahoma
7/16/2009, 11:50 PM
Who really cares what a guy who loves Texas but hates OU and Stoops thinks about our program and Coach? The really burning question though is why is he here posting?

P.S. I can't stand Texas but I've never wasted the time posting on any of their boards. Same goes for Florida, LSU, Miami, etc.

The Remnant
7/17/2009, 02:58 PM
This story is priceless.

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/17/2009, 03:27 PM
I don't know where he gets the idea that Stoops is a prick, he has always come off as a very personable, nice, moral family man, who cares not only about his players as players but also as people.

^ This

That being said, based on Stoops' interactions with the media during football-related press conferences, I can see how he could come across as a prick. You can tell it's not something he enjoys doing, and that he doesn't have much patience for the same asinine questions he has no intention of giving a straight answer to.

But there are plenty of things I don't enjoy doing, and would probably handle with a lot less class than he does. But between the hospital visits, the charity he does around Norman, etc...well, you know, as an overall person, he handles himself in a really great way.