PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Main Event

boomersooner28
7/15/2009, 11:47 PM
A kid I know from Tulsa just got busted out in 14th in the WSOP Main Event. Great showing by the Okie. He gets a check for a mere $633,000! Must be nice.

olevetonahill
7/16/2009, 01:15 AM
TeeVee ? times ?

ndpruitt03
7/16/2009, 03:53 AM
It won't be on TV for a while. I think they'll start the main event in September. They did play till the final 9 today then they'll play that table in November

Phillip Haratio Ivey is at the final table.

SteelPanz
7/16/2009, 10:09 AM
Ivey's in 7th right now. Did not have a good day yesterday. Was doubled up through twice and was chased out of several hands. BTW, I remember hearing Van Patton on the WPT mention Ivey's nickname as the "Tiger Woods of Poker." Is that simply b/c of his ethnicity? It's gotta be, right? I mean, Ivey hasn't won many equivalents to golf majors. Nor does he have a huge, ridiculous endorsement (or house on the Florida coast)

yermom
7/16/2009, 10:12 AM
he was killing the WPT when they were calling him that. i think his age has something to do with it too

ndpruitt03
7/16/2009, 10:52 AM
Ivey's in 7th right now. Did not have a good day yesterday. Was doubled up through twice and was chased out of several hands. BTW, I remember hearing Van Patton on the WPT mention Ivey's nickname as the "Tiger Woods of Poker." Is that simply b/c of his ethnicity? It's gotta be, right? I mean, Ivey hasn't won many equivalents to golf majors. Nor does he have a huge, ridiculous endorsement (or house on the Florida coast)First off they are different ethnicities, I believe Tiger's mom is from Asia. It has more to do with Phil Ivey being the best in the game. When Ivey finishes 8th or higher he'll be the all time money winner in tournament poker.

badger
7/16/2009, 11:00 AM
Ivey does kind of look like Tiger, with the ball cap and intimidating expression (read: blank) and all.
http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/6/2/7/4/156627-147262/PhilIveyTiger.jpg

SteelPanz
7/16/2009, 11:12 AM
I'm saddened to know that Jamie Gold is the current overall tournament career money leader. I dunno. I mean, I know some WSOP champs have some success afterward (Hachem, Raymer), it's just weird to see some names completely disappear while the pros seem to still finish in the money consistently.

yermom
7/16/2009, 11:34 AM
the main event like playing the lotto

they need to up the entry fee

what is $10,000 in 1970's Dollars?

yermom
7/16/2009, 11:40 AM
i was kinda thinking $50k anyway compared to other tournaments, like the WPT finals is $25k last i heard

ndpruitt03
7/16/2009, 11:41 AM
I'm saddened to know that Jamie Gold is the current overall tournament career money leader. I dunno. I mean, I know some WSOP champs have some success afterward (Hachem, Raymer), it's just weird to see some names completely disappear while the pros seem to still finish in the money consistently.

When you get 12 million dollars in one tournament that tends to put you above a lot of people. The best players cash the most.

the main event like playing the lotto

they need to up the entry fee

what is $10,000 in 1970's Dollars?

That's why they have the 50k horse and the 40k event this year. Those were pros championships. They may get rid of the 50K Horse next year. Good pros have made it deep in the ME the last couple of years. Matusow and Hellmuth last year along with Ivan Demidov who finished 2nd. Hellmuth, Joe Sebok, made it deep this year. Jeff Shulman and Phil Ivey are at this years final table. This table is a stronger table than the last couple I think. Although the chip leader is an amateur.

yermom
7/16/2009, 11:44 AM
i hadn't heard about that. that's cool

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2009, 11:50 AM
Just heard something about that-the chip leader is a "self employed logger" whatever the hell that is. I guess he just goes out and cuts down random trees? ;)

badger
7/16/2009, 12:36 PM
I'm saddened to know that Jamie Gold is the current overall tournament career money leader.

It doesn't mean he's the best player ever, it just means that he was the best player in the biggest pot year ever. Whoever won that year would be the career leader, regardless. Jamie just got lucky... and then, he got unlucky when a judge ordered half the pot to not go to his pocket :D

ndpruitt03
7/16/2009, 12:56 PM
Here's the info I could find about each of the remaining players.

Darvin Moon-Never played in a major event before. The most he played in was no more than 50 dollar buy ins. Considers himself very tight, must have been hit with the deck because he has about 60 million in chips. Logger from Maryland

Eric Buchman was won nearly 1 million dollars in tournaments. He went deep in the main event a couple years ago, when Yang won it I think. He's one of the most experienced players at the table.

Stephen Begleiter his first major cash, he's played in some WSOP events. And amateur

Jeff Shulman is the owner/creator of Cardplayer magazine. He's won over 1 million dollars in tournaments in his career. He's the biggest name on the table not named Phil Ivey.

Joe Cada has been an online pro for 4 years, winning over 400k dollars online, if he wins he'll be the youngest winner of the main event ever at 21 years old. He also cashed in a couple events in the WSOP this year. Overall he's won almost 500k in poker.

Kevin Scheffler He's been playing since the mid 90s cashing once in the main event for about 60k. Total winnings are about 170k. More of an avid amateur.

Phil Ivey is really good, that's all I really have to say.

Antoine Saout Professional online player, but hasn't won that much just a few thousand dollars over the last year or two. He's from France.

James Akenhead British player that won about 500k and a WSOP event last year. Has won about 700k total. He's considered an up and coming pro.

You have 3 solid pros in Ivey, Buchman, and Shulman, a couple up and comers in Akenhead and Cada, then a few of amateurs.

ndpruitt03
7/16/2009, 12:57 PM
It doesn't mean he's the best player ever, it just means that he was the best player in the biggest pot year ever. Whoever won that year would be the career leader, regardless. Jamie just got lucky... and then, he got unlucky when a judge ordered half the pot to not go to his pocket :DAnd he hasn't won anything since.