PDA

View Full Version : Shhh! Don't tell them they are o-v-e-r-r-a-t-e-d

Jacie
7/15/2009, 08:52 PM
July 15, 2009

Potential does not always translate to wins

Olin Buchanan
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

Exactly where the "overrated" taunt originated, I'm not sure. (The guess here is it probably began with ornery Duke basketball fans.)

Personally, I never understood that one. It seems that chastising a losing team for being overrated somehow lessens the accomplishment of the team that pulled off the upset.

Nevertheless, every year in every sport, some teams are overrated and some are underrated. This year's college football season certainly will have some fitting both categories. Some won't be known until midseason. Some won't be known until much later. But while it cannot yet accurately be said what teams are overrated or underrated, personnel, schedules and last season's performances can be analyzed to determine which teams might fit those descriptions.

With that in mind, here's a look at a potentially overrated team.

• Oklahoma State: The Cowboys are widely projected as a top-10 team going into the season. No doubt, there are reasons to expect a big season in Stillwater. Dez Bryant is the best receiver in the country. Kendall Hunter is an explosive running back. Zac Robinson is a third-year starter at quarterback. Russell Okung could be the first offensive lineman taken in next year's NFL draft. Notice all those players are on offense? That's the concern. The defense could bring the Cowboys down like an anchor. Don't forget that six opponents scored at least 28 points against the Cowboys last season, and that they were among the nation's worst in pass rush and pass defense. Six starters return on the defense, but only one in the secondary. Sure, new coordinator Bill Young has had a distinguished career, but a coach can only do so much. There are even some questions about the offense, too. Remember, the Cowboys bogged down when Bryant was hurt in the fourth quarter of last year's 42-31 Holiday Bowl loss to Oregon. Oklahoma State opens with Georgia and Houston, and neither game is a sure win. If they falter early, the Cowboys may not be able to climb back into the top 10, especially with Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma looming in the second half of the season.

Boomer Mooner
7/15/2009, 09:03 PM
That's Garbage!

fadada1
7/15/2009, 09:08 PM
no. say it ain't so, joe.

SoonerInFortSmith
7/15/2009, 09:12 PM
That's Garbage!

Is that your reply to any post on SF that involves lOSUr?

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 09:19 PM
9-3

(but they beat texas)

Crucifax Autumn
7/15/2009, 09:35 PM
I feel a bit sick saying this, but if I have my way they will win every game they play other than OU. Due to the fact I think the north will be weak again and I expect tejas to tank they are our best shot at playing a top ranked conference opponent.

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 09:39 PM
i cant see them doing it for some reason... but it would be nice... that would mean it wouldn't matter if we lost to texas, as long as we beat the pokes.

assuming there is only 1 undefeated team in the nation.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/15/2009, 09:51 PM
I have a bad feeling. I'm not saying they are world-beaters, but if they every had a year to get to a good bowl this is it! I think they beat Texas and the Dawgs. They have had a lesser team in Norman and won, but with a better coach. I think they're undefeated at Norman. We beat them to go back to Jerry world and then onto the west coast! IMO!

:gary:

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 09:56 PM
I'd love to seem them beat texas...

Mack is 11-0 against them.

Boomer Mooner
7/15/2009, 10:23 PM

No. Sometimes I say, I'm a man, I'm 40. You the ****in' OSU thread police there sparky.

CrimsonJim
7/15/2009, 11:08 PM
Sparky!? I almost blew my Sonic Coke outta my nose when I read that one. :D

OUAlumni1990
7/15/2009, 11:53 PM
eh, we won't have to tell them they're overrated, they'll find out soon enough!

OUAlumni1990
7/15/2009, 11:55 PM
I'd like to see OSU beat tu also, but I ain't holding my breath on that one. It'll be a game to be sure and watch tho..

JLEW1818
7/16/2009, 12:06 AM
on Halloween night.... holy pumpkin bowl .

badger
7/16/2009, 07:17 AM
OSU will drop a ball in a pickup game, because they're too fat... and then they run crying home to mother... of children

yermom
7/16/2009, 08:14 AM
I have a bad feeling. I'm not saying they are world-beaters, but if they every had a year to get to a good bowl this is it! I think they beat *Texas* and the Dawgs. They have had a lesser team in Norman and won, but with a better coach. I think they're undefeated at Norman. We beat them to go back to Jerry world and then onto the west coast! IMO!

:gary:

they say that every year :P :stunned:

i wonder how many Aggroids are Cubs fans too

badger
7/16/2009, 08:20 AM
There was some cute gif on here created by a sf.com poster that illustrated this "team on the rise" and "x of the last x" mentality that has plagued pokedom for the longest time.

I see A&M falling into this same rut and it's making me giggle. For Sherm's first few years, they'll say that Sherm isn't playing with his own recruits. Then, if he continues losing, the team will be called "young and inexperienced" then, the team will be called "on the rise" and then, young and inexperienced once again :D

yermom
7/16/2009, 08:22 AM
they can still do the "x out of the last y" thing on TexA5S though ;)

badger
7/16/2009, 08:33 AM
no, that's when they'll be like "we won three out of the four quarters" and that crap that parents back at my high school would try using to make the kiddo athletes feel better about losing.

come to think of it, didn't OSU win three out of the four quarters in the Stillwater game a few years ago... not that I want to give them Aggy-fan ideas or anything.

OKLA21FAN
7/16/2009, 08:37 AM

are you a mother .........of children

or sumsuch? :pop:

Boomer Mooner
7/16/2009, 08:47 AM
no, that's when they'll be like "we won three out of the four quarters" and that crap that parents back at my high school would try using to make the kiddo athletes feel better about losing.

come to think of it, didn't OSU win three out of the four quarters in the Stillwater game a few years ago... not that I want to give them Aggy-fan ideas or anything.

Haven't they won like 6 quarters of the last two games with Texas? That's AT LEAST 1 game out of the last 2 games they have won outright!:rolleyes:

badger
7/16/2009, 08:49 AM
Haven't they won like 6 quarters of the last two games with *Texas*? That's AT LEAST 1 game out of the last 2 games they have won outright!:rolleyes:

:les: In 2007, the only games we lost were in OT... and those are like ties and not really losses, right?

Lester's an aggy at heart, even if he's at LSU

SoonersEnFuego
7/16/2009, 09:00 AM
Sparky!? I almost blew my Sonic Coke outta my nose when I read that one. :D
Your dealer works at Sonic?

jumperstop
7/16/2009, 09:05 AM
:les: In 2007, the only games we lost were in OT... and those are like ties and not really losses, right?

Lester's an aggy at heart, even if he's at LSU

AHHH!!! I hate Les Miles and my loathing of him really started when he was saying that **** in 2007. Just because you lost in overtime does not negate the fact you lost. The stupid part was the media bought it and ate it up. That game against Auburn I think it was, when he could have gone for the field goal but instead went for the td and the guy made diving catch. Miles said it was because his team was damn good, but more like damn stupid and lucky. Sometimes being stupid and lucky wins you championships I guess.

CrimsonJim
7/16/2009, 09:33 AM
Your dealer works at Sonic?

Don't tell anybody. It's supposed to be a secret.

RedstickSooner
7/16/2009, 10:06 AM

Pumpkin bowl -- I like it.

Boomer Mooner
7/16/2009, 10:09 AM
Don't tell anybody. It's supposed to be a secret.

Um...I'll have a Route 44 cherry limeade, a quarter oz weed, a supersonic burger with mayo and jalapenos, and some tots. Better put some cheese on those tots.

OK2U
7/16/2009, 11:00 AM
Hopefully they're undefeated when they strut into Norman to get whipped.
BCS/Human polls, etc.

CrimsonJim
7/16/2009, 12:19 PM
Um...I'll have a Route 44 cherry limeade, a quarter oz weed, a supersonic burger with mayo and jalapenos, and some tots. Better put some cheese on those tots.

A 1/4 oz weed....got it. ;)

badger
7/16/2009, 12:21 PM
Pumpkin bowl -- I like it.

Carve your own Pumpkin Bowl pumpkin here (http://www.theoworlds.com/halloween/)

EDIT: most boring pumpkin bowl ever!
http://i29.tinypic.com/259fs0g.jpg

CrimsonJim
7/16/2009, 12:26 PM

Awlsome! I think it is only fitting, and should be law that those orange wearing bastages play each other on Halloween. Make it so!

JLEW1818
7/16/2009, 12:52 PM
haha.. it's going to be a fun game to watch... should be a prime time ABC game day lock.

we get Kstate in Norman that day... i think.... so the game will be during the day, since kstate will suck....

Then we make the drive to stoolwater?

CrimsonJim
7/16/2009, 01:04 PM
Ehhh, they won't have tickets for non-aggies. There'll be plenty of empty seats, but no tickets. ;)

Wishboned
7/16/2009, 01:17 PM
They are a team on the rise.

RedstickSooner
7/16/2009, 03:55 PM
They are a team on the rise.

I blame yeast.

SoonerInFortSmith
7/16/2009, 04:44 PM
oops

A-M
7/16/2009, 06:31 PM