PDA

View Full Version : He can still beat OSU!

madillsoonerfan5353
7/14/2009, 09:04 PM
Top 10 players to watch in the fall

Monday, July 13, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

While working on a project for ESPN The Magazine's college football season preview issue, I've had the chance to speak with many top players from each conference. One side effect of these conversations is that you tend to get more fired up for the upcoming season. It's not just because of the matchups but also because you want to see how certain players have developed.

This week's top-10 list is players I'm most curious to see in the fall:

1.Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: Thanks to a host of factors -- such as the attention that Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy received, the presence of Michael Crabtree and the catch he made to beat No. 1-ranked Texas, the fact that Oklahoma State was not a top-10 team and the arrival of a batch of phenomenal freshman wideouts -- Bryant was somewhat overlooked last season. His numbers were impressive (87 catches, 19 touchdowns), but I didn't begin to grasp his talent until I started hearing from rival players and coaches this summer. The guy is big and fast but not freakishly so (although Bryant is said to have the biggest hands in college football). His ball skills and ability to operate in traffic are what separate him. One player I spoke to who has covered both Crabtree and Bryant many times says there is no comparison: Bryant is the superior receiver. If that's really the case, I can't wait to see more of him, especially when the Cowboys play a big SEC team such as Georgia in the opener.

2.Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State: The 6-foot-6 sophomore had some spectacular moments this past fall, but he was reluctant to pull the trigger and throw passes to open receivers. Rival coaches say it's because Pryor didn't trust his eyes and was too afraid to make mistakes. Most think he needs more refinement and must work on anticipating when his targets will come open. Still, a 12-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 61 percent completion rate is impressive for a true freshman quarterback. Now in Year 2, Pryor's Ohio State offense will be without some very talented and experienced receivers who have moved on to the NFL, along with star running back Chris "Beanie" Wells. Privately, some Buckeyes have said they would've preferred if OSU had went with senior Todd Boeckman more this past fall. Regardless, it's the Pryor Show now.

3.Bryce Brown, RB, Tennessee: The nation's most-talked-about recruit last year has arrived in Knoxville with a ton of hype. Some good, some bad. And it's all thanks to the way his recruitment unfolded. The Vols staff has dismissed any notion that Brown carries prima donna issues, saying it has been delighted by his attitude. Now, can the 217-pound back spark a listless offense?

4.Jake Locker, QB, Washington: A dynamic talent on a dismal team that went 0-12 last season, Locker always has been fun to watch. He is as dangerous a running quarterback as there is in the country but has never been known for an accurate arm. Thanks largely to the arrival of new U-Dub coach Steve Sarkisian, Locker appears to be a much, much improved passer this spring. Just how much improved is the big question.

5.DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss: When we last saw the supersized wide receiver, he was being taken off the field at the Superdome during the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl after a gruesome leg injury. Word is Brown is back and ready to build on his record-setting debut season. The 6-6, 230-pound receiver even claims to have gotten faster.

6.Jerrell Powe, DT, Ole Miss: As recruiters around the South will tell you, Powe once was one of the best D-line prospects they've seen. He had uncanny quickness for such a huge man. Problem is, it took Powe three years to be cleared to play in the SEC, and when he did get into the action, he was hampered by a lot of rust, a bad wrist and a lack of conditioning. The wrist is healed, so he's no longer playing one-handed. Meanwhile, a few days ago, Powe said he dropped his weight to 327 pounds (some 40 to 50 fewer than before). The Rebels, who must replace All-American DT Peria Jerry, their best player last season, have two capable inside men in Ted Laurent and Lawon Scott. But if Powe is as good as advertised, he'll break into the lineup and make a solid defense potentially lethal.

7.Jack Crawford, DE, Penn State: Even though Penn State made its bones as Linebacker U., the program really has done an excellent job of developing standout defensive ends of late. (Courtney Brown, Michael Haynes, Tamba Hali and Aaron Maybin come immediately to mind.) Next in D-line coach Larry Johnson's pipeline is Crawford, a British-born pass-rushing force who has generated quite a buzz during the past few months in Happy Valley. The 6-5, 265-pound Crawford, one of just three true freshmen to play in every game for PSU last season, grew up boxing and playing cricket. He also has some PSU insiders believing that he has more potential than any of the ends Johnson has coached.

8.Matt Barkley, QB, USC: The Golden Boy freshman was sharp throughout the spring as he made a serious run at the starting job, but he couldn't quite overtake Aaron Corp. (He did surpass onetime prep phenom Mitch Mustain, though.) The battle, however, is far from over for the Trojans' QB job. Barkley has continued to digest the Trojans' offense, and teammates have marveled at the kid's demeanor. Nothing fazes him, they say. We'll see. If he can unseat Corp, who didn't make many mistakes in the spring, the Trojans might have a true freshman leading the offense when they make their first road trip of the season to Ohio State in Week 2.

9.Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor: The 350-pound Penn State transfer had been considered one of the top D-line talents to come through Happy Valley in years, but he got booted because of off-the-field issues. Now at Baylor, Taylor figures to give the Bears a much-needed presence in the middle of their D. How much talent does he have? Coach Art Briles says he'll be surprised if Taylor isn't named to the All-Big 12 first team this year. Wow. If Taylor does that, he'll have had a better year than Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy. That'll be something.

10.Josh Jarboe, WR, Troy: A big, physical receiver whose career at Oklahoma was derailed after some off-the-field problems, Jarboe isn't the kind of wideout the Trojans usually have. They usually have smaller, quick guys, not 6-3 speed guys like Jarboe. Teammates say they like what they've seen from him. Quarterback Levi Brown says Jarboe just needs to become more consistent and get better at making the routine plays. :D

JLEW1818
7/14/2009, 11:05 PM
no Griffin? from Baylor...

JLEW1818
7/14/2009, 11:05 PM
[hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel] [hairGel]

hahahaha

jumperstop
7/15/2009, 01:32 AM
10.Josh Jarboe, WR, Troy: A big, physical receiver whose career at Oklahoma was derailed after some off-the-field problems, Jarboe isn't the kind of wideout the Trojans usually have. They usually have smaller, quick guys, not 6-3 speed guys like Jarboe. Teammates say they like what they've seen from him. Quarterback Levi Brown says Jarboe just needs to become more consistent and get better at making the routine plays. :D

To bad he was a crazy, ghetto, dumbass kid. He could have been taking passes from a Heisman winner...

badger
7/15/2009, 07:36 AM
Here, let me translate...

This week's top-10 list is players that get hype now, but will be forgotten by week two:

1.Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: Thanks to a host of factors -- such as Sam Bradford being awesome and Kolt McCoy losing to Tech, lol, the presence of Michael Crabtree on the cover of NCAA Football 10 which I'm spending all of my work hours playing and the fact that Oklahoma State totally sucks in comparison to everyone else in their division worth noting and the fact that my editor says we have to mention OSU now unlike last year -- Bryant was somewhat overlooked last season... and he's about to be overlooked some more. BACK TO VIDYA GAMIN'!!!!!

stoopified
7/15/2009, 08:13 AM
Here, let me translate...:)