PDA

View Full Version : Ernest Hemingway, KGB Spy......

OklahomaTuba
7/14/2009, 10:04 AM
Always thought there was something weird about that guy...;)

Hemingway revealed as failed KGB spy
Notes from Stalin-era intelligence archives show 'agent Argo' as a willing recruit in 1941

Last week saw the publication of Spies: The Rise and Fall of the KGB in America (Yale University Press), which reveals the Nobel prize-winning novelist was for a while on the KGB's list of its agents in America. Co-written by John Earl Haynes, Harvey Klehr and Alexander Vassiliev, the book is based on notes that Vassiliev, a former KGB officer, made when he was given access in the 90s to Stalin-era intelligence archives in Moscow.

Its section on the author's secret life as a "dilettante spy" draws on his KGB file in saying he was recruited in 1941 before making a trip to China, given the cover name "Argo", and "repeatedly expressed his desire and willingness to help us" when he met Soviet agents in Havana and London in the 40s. However, he failed to "give us any political information" and was never "verified in practical work", so contacts with Argo had ceased by the end of the decade. Was he only ever a pseudo-spook, possibly seeing his clandestine dealings as potential literary material, or a genuine but hopelessly ineffective one?http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jul/09/hemingway-failed-kgb-spy/print

NYC Poke
7/14/2009, 10:13 AM
I hope he didn't reveal classified information about Gertrude Stein to them.

JohnnyMack
7/14/2009, 10:20 AM
Today I drank a Papa Doble. I didn't not see any American spies. It was sunny.

soonerscuba
7/14/2009, 11:03 AM
I hope he didn't reveal classified information about Gertrude Stein to them.Why, why would he reveal information about Stein, if information was to be had, that information would be that she was a terrible poet and writer, and not a good writer and poet.

NYC Poke
7/14/2009, 11:10 AM
Why, why would he reveal information about Stein, if information was to be had, that information would be that she was a terrible poet and writer, and not a good writer and poet.

DON'T TELL THAT TO THE COMMIES!!!

Scott D
7/14/2009, 11:54 AM
My favorite part of that article was the part about Hemingway using his boat to search for U-Boats between the US and Cuba...classic.

Curly Bill
7/14/2009, 11:59 AM
I thought he was fishin for Marlin?

Scott D
7/14/2009, 12:00 PM
yeah that's what he wanted people to think ;)

The Remnant
7/14/2009, 12:05 PM
One of my favorite movies is "To Have And Have Not" . The book was awful. It didn't have Hoagy Carmichael, however.

swardboy
7/14/2009, 12:27 PM
No wonder he committed suicide...."Comrade, you suck!"

NYC Poke
7/14/2009, 01:06 PM
"The Old Man and the CCCP"

King Crimson
7/14/2009, 01:10 PM
books are evil.

OklahomaTuba
7/14/2009, 01:14 PM
My favorite part of that article was the part about Hemingway using his boat to search for U-Boats between the US and Cuba...classic.A Traitor and a Patriot. :D

KC//CRIMSON
7/14/2009, 01:28 PM
books are evil.

You watch your whorish mouth, Sarah Palin!

Sooner_Havok
7/14/2009, 01:30 PM
So, could he have worn a hammer and sickle shirt?