PDA

View Full Version : Why Spread WithE'm

SouthFortySooner
7/13/2009, 11:45 AM
After reading yet another article on the huge gaps in TT's offensive line it begs the question (at least with me) why spread withem. Isn't it the offensive lines job to block the defensive line. Why not set two tackles, or more, on each shoulder of the center and step in and strangle graham cracker or whoever?

I mean isn't this an ideal "shoot the gap" opportunity?

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 11:47 AM
No, they will block down with the rest of their line and get outside.

The wide splits are largely designed to give them blocking angles...

...besides also spreading you out of course. (If you don't spread with them, they'll do like I said: block down and beat you to the outside.

MojoRisen
7/13/2009, 12:55 PM
We seem to handle Tech on D... I can't say the same for Okie Light or Kansas or even Texas.

Ole Miss blitzed them to death as well.

OUDoc
7/13/2009, 01:14 PM
After reading yet another article on the huge gaps in TT's offensive line it begs the question (at least with me) why spread withem. Isn't it the offensive lines job to block the defensive line. Why not set two tackles, or more, on each shoulder of the center and step in and strangle graham cracker or whoever?

I mean isn't this an ideal "shoot the gap" opportunity?
I've always wondered the same thing. I still don't get the explanation. They are not eligible receivers, so who cares if they line up 10 yards apart (exaggeration)? Run between them and crush the QB/RB/pirate.

SoonersEnFuego
7/13/2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, that would force them to run the ball, which is usually something they are not the best at. I'd give it a shot, here and there.

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 01:45 PM
I've always wondered the same thing. I still don't get the explanation. They are not eligible receivers, so who cares if they line up 10 yards apart (exaggeration)? Run between them and crush the QB/RB/pirate.

If you try to run between them the lineman outside of you will block you to the inside and they will run to the outside, it's all about angles.

starclassic tama
7/13/2009, 01:48 PM
CB is right on here. it's not like when the ball is hiked the o-line just stands still in their spot, leaving the huge gaps open.

BoulderSooner79
7/13/2009, 01:55 PM
It does work to shoot the gaps, but it has to be unpredictable like other plays. If they know you are going to do it, they just block down and the RB takes a quick hand-off and runs outside. Or they block down and roll the QB to the outside on a passing play. UT did shoot the gaps so well against Mizzou last year, that MU had to shorten their O-line gaps, but the game was over by then.

But I like our defense against the spread so far. We've shutdown both TT and Mizzou and gotten lots of pressure on their QBs. The other conference teams don't really do the spread (at least not the o-line) - they just try to get some good skill athletes in space as we do.

JLEW1818
7/13/2009, 01:57 PM
AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY TECH HAS NEVER WON A BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP.......

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 01:59 PM
TT has never had the dominant O-lineman like say OU or even Saxet has had, and that's largely why they went to this unorthodox approach. Opposing teams don't see those huge line splits with regularity so it takes some doing to get a D coached up on what to do about them.

Yeah the simple thought is just rush through there and tackle the guy with the ball. That's what TT wants you to try and do. Yes you can do it some, much like blitzing, but you have to disguise it, and everyone else on the D has to be on the same page. D-lineman just going nuts and trying to bust through those gaps would be a bad ideal.

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 02:00 PM
AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY TECH HAS NEVER WON A BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP.......

It's simple -- they don't have the same kind of players that we or Saxet has.

JLEW1818
7/13/2009, 02:22 PM
build a bigger stadium!!! and it's hard to consistently attract great players to come to a college/xbox 360 system... when OU and UT have NFL type systems somewhat.

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 02:27 PM
build a bigger stadium!!! and it's hard to consistently attract great players to come to a college/xbox 360 system... when OU and UT have NFL type systems somewhat.

It's more than the stadium, have you ever been to Lubbock Texas?

While I personally like west Texas, a lot of peeps, especially the stud athlete you're trying to recruit out of Houston and Dallas and such, does not want to spend 3-5 years in Lubbock. Yes there are exceptions, like Crabtree, but all in all not many of those cats want to be in Lubbock.

JLEW1818
7/13/2009, 02:31 PM
true... but tech still sucks.. ha

college football live is on right now.. espn... doing the state of Indiana... I'm sure there will be some ND love.

RedstickSooner
7/13/2009, 04:53 PM
It's more than the stadium, have you ever been to Lubbock *Texas*?

While I personally like west *Texas*, a lot of peeps, especially the stud athlete you're trying to recruit out of Houston and Dallas and such, does not want to spend 3-5 years in Lubbock. Yes there are exceptions, like Crabtree, but all in all not many of those cats want to be in Lubbock.

I agree to a point, Curly Bill, but I don't know how much that can matter -- otherwise Hawaii would be winning national championships left & right. (Frankly, I'm puzzled that they aren't. I know kids get homesick, and I know Hawaii can't afford to recruit properly when it's so expensive to fly prospects out there, but hell, if I was an athlete good enough to play college ball, I'd be mighty tempted to get a four year vacation, er, scholarship in Hawaii for my troubles. If you're good enough, you should be able to draft well at any school, after all.)

Or, why would anyone play at USC? Yeah, the girls might look great, if you don't mind that they've all been under the knife -- but your campus is in the middle of the ghetto, and you can't step off of it safely. I'd think someplace like Cal would have a lot more appeal.

Me, I think recruiting comes down to two primary features: Facilities, and the incredible personal presence which good coaches exert. We regular people don't get to see that part of things, but every time you read something written by a kid going through the process, you get the feeling that these coaches have an awfully convincing manner to them.

Location might help, and it might hurt, but the other two seem to trump it.

I mean, for years, K-state was decent. Surely there's no redeeming feature about living in Manhattan, Kansas?

AlbqSooner
7/13/2009, 07:51 PM
Realistically it is not that easy to convince a kid being recruited by USC, Florida, Miami and such that Norman freakin Oklahoma is the place to spend his college career. Excellent recruiting and program tradition are the only reasons OU gets the superstars they do.

bluedogok
7/13/2009, 08:48 PM
It's more than the stadium, have you ever been to Lubbock *Texas*?

While I personally like west *Texas*, a lot of peeps, especially the stud athlete you're trying to recruit out of Houston and Dallas and such, does not want to spend 3-5 years in Lubbock. Yes there are exceptions, like Crabtree, but all in all not many of those cats want to be in Lubbock.
A friend of mine here played for them in the early 80's, he grew up in East Texas (Tyler), on his recruiting trip they flew him in/out at night and he never saw how flat and brown Lubbock was until he moved there to start practice.

I agree to a point, Curly Bill, but I don't know how much that can matter -- otherwise Hawaii would be winning national championships left & right. (Frankly, I'm puzzled that they aren't. I know kids get homesick, and I know Hawaii can't afford to recruit properly when it's so expensive to fly prospects out there, but hell, if I was an athlete good enough to play college ball, I'd be mighty tempted to get a four year vacation, er, scholarship in Hawaii for my troubles. If you're good enough, you should be able to draft well at any school, after all.)
If you are interested in an education, Hawaii has historically had limited options. A friend in OKC said his dad went to school at OSU after growing up in Honolulu because the Univ. of Hawaii was mainly a teachers college back then (late 50's), he went into architecture and went to OSU for various reasons. They didn't move back to Hawaii until he retired. It still doesn't seem to be much more than that now according to him.

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 08:52 PM
A friend of mine here played for them in the early 80's, he grew up in East *Texas* (Tyler), on his recruiting trip they flew him in/out at night and he never saw how flat and brown Lubbock was until he moved there to start practice.

The change from East Saxet to West Saxet is shall we say: dramatic?

That's a cool story, and yep that'd be a shocker.

JLEW1818
7/13/2009, 08:54 PM
i big fan of east texas...... Baptist Conservative town...

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 08:55 PM
Some of the best folks in the world live out in Western Saxet.

That being said, I don't know how to explain TT fans.

bluedogok
7/13/2009, 09:04 PM
My wife grew up in West Texas (Monahans) so she knew what she was getting into when she went to Tech...of course her grad school choices were narrowed down to SW Texas (now Texas State-San Marcos) and OSU and the in-state tuition won out. She has been in Central Texas ever since and still doesn't understand why people (including most of her family) choose to live out there in the dust.

RADsooner
7/13/2009, 10:48 PM

If okie lite is the little brother to OU, then TT is the red headed step child to texas and A&M,with baylor being the one your parents never took out of the house- that explains alot........... ;)

Crucifax Autumn
7/13/2009, 10:59 PM
Is it just me or is the thread title significantly more dirty and sexual than the content of the actual thread?

SouthFortySooner
7/14/2009, 12:36 PM
Is it just me or is the thread title significantly more dirty and sexual than the content of the actual thread?

I think your thinkin "why spread'em".

More to the point. I don't understand lining up on the OT nose way out there, which is what we do. Sure take the gap from that position he takes you in. Why even go out there with'em just put your d-line in the normal juxaposition to the ball not those googy TT fellows with the paint smeared on their face, and it appears to me there would be way more people and room to walk through if snubby stayed split. yea i said split

oudivesherpa
7/14/2009, 01:34 PM
[

That being said, I don't know how to explain TT fans.[/QUOTE]

Tech fans are a result of a 1937 agricultural experiement gone terribly wrong at Texas A & M. The aggies tried to cross a Priate with a ewe and got a breed called Tech Fans. They dress in black, get drunk on woolite, smell like left over mutton, point their little hooves in the air like pistols, and blare baaaaa the whole game.

Statalyzer
7/14/2009, 01:49 PM
Ole Miss blitzed them to death as well.

True, but for all intents and purposes Tech didn't have Crabtree for that game.

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2009, 05:53 PM
It was a big blow to Tech only having a very lame Crabtree in that game. On top of the loss of talent, it seemed to put a big dent in Harrell's confidence as well. I believe the beat-down they took from us *almost* cost us the conference as Tech wasn't the same team the next week against Baylor and almost lost. We needed to beat them bad, but not completely break their spirits. I guess we played it just right :)

Blitzkrieg
7/15/2009, 03:13 PM
The d-line must line up on the outside shoulder of the tackles or they wil lget turned in and the other team can have their way with them with a screen pass or a sweep.

The best way to attack is to play them straight up and bring a blitz up the middle late that might not get picked up. Their QB is 7 yards back then drops another 7, so the defender has to run at least 14 yards, giving the QB time to hit the hot route or throw it away.

Rather ingenious way to overcome the talent difference, they have beat OU or texas the last two years.

SouthFortySooner
7/15/2009, 03:19 PM
The d-line must line up on the outside shoulder of the tackles or they wil lget turned in and the other team can have their way with them with a screen pass or a sweep.

The best way to attack is to play them straight up and bring a blitz up the middle late that might not get picked up. Their QB is 7 yards back then drops another 7, so the defender has to run at least 14 yards, giving the QB time to hit the hot route or throw it away.

Rather ingenious way to overcome the talent difference, they have beat OU or *Texas* the last two years.

Ahhh, so. Excellent picture. I see now the execution is practiced so the dropback will always beat the rush. Thanks

Curly Bill
7/15/2009, 03:54 PM
Hell, I made that same point in the 2nd post of the thread. :mad:

ashley
7/15/2009, 04:21 PM
One reason is you cannot put many in the gaps is because they can block you down and you are screwed on run plays. If you get head up the O does not know which side you will take or if you will bull rush. Next the wide splits create bigger running lanes. Most importantly it is tied to the same reason you want tall long legged O lineman.
The wider the splits and the wider the players stance makes the distance between the tackles wider. This puts the D ends farther from the five or seven step drop point for the quarterbacks and thus it takes the D end longer to get to the QB.
I hope that is clear.

CrimsonJim
7/15/2009, 04:41 PM

You posted in this thread?

Curly Bill
7/15/2009, 04:42 PM
You posted in this thread?

Yeah, but apparently some peeps can't read! :mad:

ashley
7/15/2009, 07:52 PM

Rather ingenious way to overcome the talent difference, they have beat OU or *Texas* the last two years.

Please talk to me about a 14 yd. QB drop. I don't believe I have ever seen one.

Jacie
7/15/2009, 08:47 PM

It took their best team in school history to eke out a last-second, come-from-behind win over UT. In 2007 they caught a huge break against OU when Sam was knocked out of the game in the first quarter. As they are breaking in a new QB after having Harrell for three seasons (very uncharacteristic for them) I don't see TT beating either the whorns or Sooners this year.

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 09:22 PM
I'm taking Texas, minus the points over tech... i don't care how many points it is.... my wild guess if the game was today... mmmmm...

Texas -10.5

If i see it anywhere below that. I'm jumping big on it.

jumperstop
7/16/2009, 09:14 AM
Some of the best folks in the world live out in Western Saxet.

For the same reason OSU has fans...

SouthFortySooner
7/16/2009, 10:37 AM

As I did read your post, and I admit I ain't got much learnin, the only point I saw made was the ability to block down.

The picture became clearer when the timing of getting past the blockdown attempt to catching a dropping back passer was stated.

Again a standard which could be practiced over and over until the O-linemen knew excactly how far to split in relation to the speed of release. Sorta like a dance man.

sherry
7/16/2009, 05:43 PM
If you try to run between them the lineman outside of you will block you to the inside and they will run to the outside, it's all about angles.

YES that is I agree with....if you will run between them then they will block you and then to cover up they will move outside.:cool: I think this would be good...
"The wider the splits and the wider the players stance makes the distance between the tackles wider. ":pop:

ashley
7/16/2009, 08:56 PM
That is funny.