PDA

View Full Version : Cobbs removes USC and Texas

CK Sooner
7/13/2009, 09:34 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3384863

Cobbs trims list; OU still in hunt
Tulsa Central quarterback Demarco Cobbs has trimmed his list to six schools. In no particular order, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma and LSU remain in the hunt to land the state’s top recruit.
The senior-to-be is being recruited to play receiver in college. A 6-1, 200-pound prospect, Cobbs removed Arizona, Auburn, USC and Texas from his list.

Cobbs is ranked No. 89 on the Rivals top 100 and is No. 1 on the Oklahoman Top 30 list.

soonerguild
7/13/2009, 10:20 AM
I think that is good news for us. I know we have lost in state guys to some of the schools still in the running in the past, but with usc and *texas* gone I feel better about our chances.

Curly Bill
7/13/2009, 10:24 AM
I don't see the attraction so many Oklahoma high school players seem to have to Tennessee.

Oh wait....$$$

Sabanball
7/13/2009, 01:24 PM
Wow...he sure cooled on USC quickly. Seems I recall he had them actually as a favorite after his visit out there. He will be camping in Tuscaloosa for four days next week, but in the end I just don't see him leaving home. We'd love to have him, though.

CK Sooner
7/13/2009, 01:45 PM
Wow...he sure cooled on USC quickly. Seems I recall he had them actually as a favorite after his visit out there. He will be camping in Tuscaloosa for four days later this month, but in the end I just don't see him leaving home. We'd love to have him, though.

They were going to pull his offer.

Sabanball
7/13/2009, 01:47 PM
They were going to pull his offer.

I've heard the rumor that he actually wanted to commit to the trojans, but they would not give him a commitable offer. Is that what you're hearing?

CK Sooner
7/13/2009, 03:49 PM
I've heard the rumor that he actually wanted to commit to the trojans, but they would not give him a commitable offer. Is that what you're hearing?

Not what I heard.

Frozen Sooner
7/13/2009, 04:41 PM

I have heard that USC was way out in the lead but let him know there probably wasn't room in the class for him at receiver.

Edit:

Gotta say I love it when a top recruit comes down to Alabama/Oklahoma now. It's a total win-win for me. Of course, if I could trade Alabama going 0-12 for an OU national title, I would, but I'm still looking forward to cheering for another good team. :D

Sabanball
7/13/2009, 06:05 PM
Not what I heard.

What's the scuttlebutt out your way? Either way, it appears one of the two parties backed off. I know some have tried to make an issue of his recent times clocked in the 40 but his combination of size and athleticism I think make him a great TE prospect in college even if for some reason he doesn't pan out as a WR.

Something tells me in February he'll be wearing a red and white hat.:)

CK Sooner
7/13/2009, 06:37 PM
What's the scuttlebutt out your way? Either way, it appears one of the two parties backed off. I know some have tried to make an issue of his recent times clocked in the 40 but his combination of size and athleticism I think make him a great TE prospect in college even if for some reason he doesn't pan out as a WR.

Something tells me in February he'll be wearing a red and white hat.:)

He strongly denies the 4.7 stating that he borrowed a friends cleats and they were to big.

MojoRisen
7/13/2009, 07:02 PM
Yep, that is what I heard as well. Sounds like he can regulary get 45s but I got nothing official on that.

Sabanball
7/13/2009, 08:51 PM
Yep, that is what I heard as well. Sounds like he can regulary get 45s but I got nothing official on that.

Why on earth would you borrow a friend's cleats in a situation like this, knowing that's a crucial part of the exercise?? That sounds like a stretch to me...Also, he's clocked more than once recently at 4.7--so it's not an isolated incident. Then again, many NFL WR's today cannot run a 4.5 consistently, so I think the whole issue on speed is overblown. Sure, he may not be Percy Harvin, but his other attributes more than make up for what he doesn't have in that category, IMO. Like I said earlier, I hope we can pull him, but I really think this ends up being a 'Julio Jones, in reverse' situation. ;)

CK Sooner
7/13/2009, 09:01 PM
Why on earth would you borrow a friend's cleats in a situation like this, knowing that's a crucial part of the exercise?? That sounds like a stretch to me...Also, he's clocked more than once recently at 4.7--so it's not an isolated incident. Then again, many NFL WR's today cannot run a 4.5 consistently, so I think the whole issue on speed is overblown. Sure, he may not be Percy Harvin, but his other attributes more than make up for what he doesn't have in that category, IMO. Like I said earlier, I hope we can pull him, but I really think this ends up being a 'Julio Jones, in reverse' situation. ;)

I am guessing that came from his mouth, so I have no idea if he is telling the truth.

MojoRisen
7/13/2009, 09:36 PM

Maybe he couldn't afford his own cleats- or left em somewhere. My brother once hand timed Barry Sanders in high tops unlaced. Although he still ran a 4.37

Chris Patterson
7/14/2009, 03:10 AM

I think that just about everyone who ran at those camps had slower than usual times. I think both of those 40s were run on slow surfaces. All you have to do is watch his highlights to see that he is fairly fast. DeMarco Cobbs appears to be fast enough to get the job done at receiver and that's what matters.

picasso
7/15/2009, 11:20 AM
I recall seeing the kid on the news last fall and he was the fastest player on the field.

Curly Bill
7/15/2009, 12:23 PM
All the talk about his speed, or lack thereof, is a bunch of crap, he's been offered by eveyone in the country, so obviously he's plenty fast.

CK Sooner
7/15/2009, 12:34 PM
He is a legit 4.4-4.5

CaliBornSoonerBred
7/15/2009, 01:26 PM
He is a legit 4.4-4.5

well that rules out any SEC team because of those 4.4-4.5 times because we all know that's too slow for the SEC. Here's to hoping he's a Sooner!

Eielson
7/15/2009, 04:20 PM
I believe he placed second in the 4A 100 meter. If I remember correctly, he finished behind Delans Griffin...another football stud.

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 09:25 PM
well that rules out any SEC team because of those 4.4-4.5 times because we all know that's too slow for the SEC. Here's to hoping he's a Sooner!

:D :D

The SEC player run 4.2 40's....

they also run 3.2 60's..... when they know the distance is further... they seem to run faster... idk its weird. :D

madillsoonerfan5353
7/15/2009, 09:56 PM

they also run 3.2 60's..... when they know the distance is further... they seem to run faster... idk its weird. :D

:D

Sabanball
7/15/2009, 10:25 PM

Yup...those dang SEC guys. What a bunch of frauds. Last year's bowl season was just a fluke--when will they get that??? Especially Florida, I mean...speed isn't the overall most important factor. Like the King used to say," if you ain't got size, you ain't got nothin'." They are gonna pay, starting when UGA comes to SToolwater in Sept. We'll show'em....and then we'll really beat up on them in Jan. What else can you say about a bunch of hayseed hicks from the Deep South? ;- )

Hella Sideburns
7/15/2009, 10:27 PM
dude's not going to texas or USC, so whether or not we get him, it's a win-win.

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 10:50 PM
Yup...those dang SEC guys. What a bunch of frauds. Last year's bowl season was just a fluke--when will they get that??? Especially Florida, I mean...speed isn't the overall most important factor. Like the King used to say," if you ain't got size, you ain't got nothin'." They are gonna pay, starting when UGA comes to SToolwater in Sept. We'll show'em....and then we'll really beat up on them in Jan. What else can you say about a bunch of hayseed hicks from the Deep South? ;- )

"WE" in your reference to the SEC... WHY DO YALL ALWAYS HAVE TO SAY "WE"

I still will never understand the "SEC,SEC,SEC" chants at games.... i guess it makes yall feel special or something..

oh and Bama played FANTASTIC against Utah in the bowl game... yalls speed looked really good.

Fraggle145
7/16/2009, 12:35 AM

I still will never understand the "SEC,SEC,SEC" chants at games.... i guess it makes yall feel special or something..

oh and Bama played FANTASTIC against Utah in the bowl game... yalls speed looked really good.

Zing!

CaliBornSoonerBred
7/16/2009, 09:23 AM

BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sabanball
7/16/2009, 03:10 PM

I've been to tons of Bama games in Tuscaloosa over the last 25 years and have yet to hear this chant. You may hear it at places like Albarn and UCheaT, but you won't hear it in T-town. When you have 6 AP national championships in the trophy case, the conference needs you more than you need the conference. You guys should understand that.

Back on topic--I'm hearing two conflicting stories on Demarcos planned visit with us. On one hand I'm hearing that he will camp with us next week, and on the other I've been told he will wait until the camp is over and come in to Tuscaloosa on/around August 7th, so that the coaching staff can spend more individual time with him--not sure which is true, but at any rate it appears he will be here in the coming weeks. Like I've said from the start, in the end I really think you guys will get DC and we will nab Brian Vogler. I know both these kids have said distance is not an issue, but in the end at least from a practical standpoint distance almost ALWAYS is an issue and ends up being a serious factor, despite what they say publicly . But, we'll see what happens. Demarco supposedly has narrowed his list to six schools--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?page=onthetrail&recruitId=69940

JLEW1818
7/16/2009, 05:56 PM
dude i know the SEC has fast players... but my original post was kinda funny.. you have to admit that please!!!

Curly Bill
7/16/2009, 05:59 PM
I admit that you suck!

Sabanball
7/16/2009, 06:37 PM
dude i know the SEC has fast players... but my original post was kinda funny.. you have to admit that please!!!

;)

Sabanball
7/16/2009, 06:41 PM
I admit that you suck!

Now THAT'S funny!

JLEW1818
7/16/2009, 07:24 PM
I admit that you suck!

bastard :eek:

Boomer38Sooner
7/17/2009, 10:31 PM
Hey Frozen, how depressed were you after the bowl season? haha

Frozen Sooner
7/18/2009, 12:54 AM
Hey Frozen, how depressed were you after the bowl season? haha

I was pretty goddamn pissed, I'll tell you that.

arklahoman36
7/18/2009, 09:02 AM
Don't know if Cobbs is still heading to Alabama, but he told an Arkansas reporter he was going to Fayetteville this weekend to the Arkansas SR. Camp.

goingoneight
7/18/2009, 06:12 PM
They only conference that should be bragging about the bowl season is the one that went undefeated in it.

Guess what... it ain't the SEC.

CapstoneGrad06
7/19/2009, 06:36 PM
Don't know if Cobbs is still heading to Alabama, but he told an Arkansas reporter he was going to Fayetteville this weekend to the Arkansas SR. Camp.

He was in Fayetteville on saturday, and then flew to Birmingham, and is in Tuscaloosa for the three day camp.

Sabanball
7/19/2009, 07:22 PM
They only conference that should be bragging about the bowl season is the one that went undefeated in it.

Guess what... it ain't the SEC.

Really? Well, of course....:rolleyes:

Capstone,

That's what I read on Scout.com as well. He's in T-town(those of you from Tulsa, I'm referring to Tuscaloosa :-) )as we speak.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/20/2009, 12:59 PM
I don't see the attraction so many Oklahoma high school players seem to have to Tennessee.

Oh wait....$$$

Name on the scoreboard...extra phone calls, name in the radio, learning how to tear off your t-shirt and a top 10 Fulmer points listing...;)

Sabanball
7/20/2009, 04:48 PM
FWIW--Heard that Cobbs is REALLY enjoying his time in Tuscaloosa and that he and fellow recruit Keenan Allen practically spent the whole weekend together. Also saw where they really got after it on the field. I think the fact that he was willing to make the quick flight to Birmingham right after being in Fayetteville might show we have a more serious shot at him than I originally thought.

goingoneight
7/21/2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah, Julio Jones supposedly REALLY liked OU and Sam Bradford, too. We'll see.

I honestly haven't a clue. When this thread started, he was a lifelong whorn fan. We'll see. The kids can have fun, but honestly they REALLY start to have fun when people are actually in school during the season should they visit then.

Sabanball
7/21/2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, Julio Jones supposedly REALLY liked OU and Sam Bradford, too. We'll see.

I honestly haven't a clue. When this thread started, he was a lifelong whorn fan. We'll see. The kids can have fun, but honestly they REALLY start to have fun when people are actually in school during the season should they visit then.

As I've said, I still think Demarco is yours to lose, but from a Bama perspective I am a little more encouraged about our chances than I was before this weekend. He was quoted in the Tuscaloosa News as saying,"This is the most comfortable place I've been to so far". I've heard one wild rumor stating that he may even commit to us, but I don't put any stock in that. As the state's top-ranked player, I think there's a very good chance--actually I fully expect-- that Demarco will delay his public announcement at least until the beginning of the season. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...