PDA

View Full Version : larvae

King Crimson
7/12/2009, 05:53 PM
in my kitchen cupboard i have a shelf that has mixed nuts, cashews (for stir fry), pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds i buy bulk in plastic bags. i like to bring some of the above with me during the day for a snack etc.

i find this old bag of pumpkin seeds that's been pushed back behind some boxes of english breakfast tea i bought 4-5 boxes of because it was on clearance...and so looking at it, there's little moths on the inside which is kind of unpleasant. so i'm thinking, OK, trash. then i start to look closer and there are all these orange-ish pupae or something little gelatinous pods that are kind of moving about or squirming. ugh, really gross.

what was the Good Lord thinking when he let the larvae into my pumpkin seeds? might be a while before the pumpkin seeds are back on the snack slate. now, the larvae...that was some good eatin'.

i also ordered the execution of a fairly large paper wasp nest from the overhang outside my crib.

i'm like Cortez the killer today. don't mess or i'm dealing the death blows.

Okla-homey
7/12/2009, 05:55 PM
in my kitchen cupboard i have a shelf that has mixed nuts, cashews (for stir fry), pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds i buy bulk in plastic bags. i like to bring some of the above with me during the day for a snack etc.

i find this old bag of pumpkin seeds that's been pushed back behind some boxes of english breakfast tea i bought 4-5 boxes of because it was on clearance...and so looking at it, there's little moths on the inside which is kind of unpleasant. so i'm thinking, OK, trash. then i start to look closer and there are all these orange-ish pupae or something little gelatinous pods that are kind of moving about or squirming. ugh, really gross.

what was the Good Lord thinking when he let the larvae into my pumpkin seeds? might be a while before i'm throwing back the pumpkin seeds.

i also ordered the execution of a fairly large paper wasp nest from the overhang outside my crib.

i'm like Cortez the killer today. don't mess or i'm dealing the death blows.

Those bastages got in a 50lb bag of dogfood once. I thought I'd never get all those little mothy critters out of the house.

StoopTroup
7/12/2009, 06:09 PM
then i start to look closer and there are all these orange-ish pupae or something little gelatinous pods that are kind of moving about or squirming. ugh, really gross.

We call those aggies around here.

King Crimson
7/12/2009, 06:11 PM
Those bastages got in a 50lb bag of dogfood once. I thought I'd never get all those little mothy critters out of the house.

it's been like that for a while. i was kind of mildly amused by them for a while. catch em and toss out the screen door for a while. spray bleach water on all the shelves....but the little fuggers are resilient. you turn on the kitchen light and there's 2 or 3 of them on the cupboard or wall....every time.

imma spray some more bleach water this week. i think i've won the war and it's just skirmishes left. he said, crossing his fingers.

StoopTroup
7/12/2009, 06:13 PM
aggies are hard to get rid of...ask anyone who lives in Tulsa.

King Crimson
7/12/2009, 06:34 PM
I remember when i was really young and hearing my dad and one of his buddies talk about "closet aggies". ya know, OSU win a few games and the hitherto normal people you saw at the store or worked with or was on the postal route were "all of a sudden" big-time orange and black (then), vociferous, proud wheat waving Ag alums and Poke fans....only to scurry back in their holes at some point later in the season.

though, to be fair, i had 3 uncles on my mom's side that were Pokes and good people and were cool to me as a young'un.

StoopTroup
7/12/2009, 06:51 PM
though, to be fair, i had 3 uncles on my mom's side that were Pokes and good people and were cool to me as a young'un.

Well...I've got a few in my own Family...but it still doesn't change the fact that I can't run them off or get rid of them. :D

King Crimson
7/12/2009, 07:06 PM
Well...I've got a few in my own Family...but it still doesn't change the fact that I can't run them off or get rid of them. :D

did you try the bleach water spray? or: in our family, we just start talking about winning football and that usually gets them back to basting the turkey instead of flapping they ample gums.

SoonerStormchaser
7/12/2009, 07:15 PM
We call those aggies around here.

That's it...lock this thread down...it can't POSSIBLY get any better than that!

Okla-homey
7/12/2009, 09:01 PM
it's been like that for a while. i was kind of mildly amused by them for a while. catch em and toss out the screen door for a while. spray bleach water on all the shelves....but the little fuggers are resilient. you turn on the kitchen light and there's 2 or 3 of them on the cupboard or wall....every time.

imma spray some more bleach water this week. i think i've won the war and it's just skirmishes left. he said, crossing his fingers.

I found the key was air-tight containers. I bought a big plastic bin for the dog food that seals up airtight. If you have bags of potables around, and if those bags' factory seals are broken, those moth bastages will get in and start partying. We ended up taking everything out the pantry, pitching everying with gluten in it that was opened, and spraying the crap out of the interior with flying insect spray.

StoopTroup
7/12/2009, 09:04 PM
did you try the bleach water spray? or: in our family, we just start talking about winning football and that usually gets them back to basting the turkey instead of flapping they ample gums.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Not sure if we're getting together for Thanksgiving yet...:D