PDA

View Full Version : Tramel's O-Line

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure I agree with this shat, but I do know he's right about the changes in the game...

He hasn't changed much though...Still kinda dooshy!

Some football truths we hold to be self-evident. Like this one: Offensive lines are the broad shoulders to success. The coal miners and meat packers who determine victory or defeat while the pretty boys receive the cheers.

Only one problem. It’s not so evident anymore.

Oh, they still make blockers like they used to. Even better. Bigger, stronger, quicker, tougher. Smarter, too. Smartest guys on the field, next to the quarterback.

It’s not the linemen who have changed. It’s the game. Spread formations. Quick passes. Quarterbacks who wouldn’t know a pocket if you sewed one on their forehead.

College football has changed, and offensive line play isn’t as valuable as it once was.

"To a certain degree, absolutely,” said Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables.

"You can perform at a higher level with less up front, no question.”

Many of Venables’ comrades disagree. Some of his players aren’t buying it.

"Offensive line is huge for every team,” said Sooner linebacker Ryan Reynolds. "The game starts up front. Without a good offensive line or defensive line, you can’t go very far.”

Well, we’re not talking about D-lines. We’re talking about O-lines. We’re talking about Texas Tech.

Look at Mike Leach’s vaunted spread offense. It’s not predicated on forming a Berlin Wall to keep out the infidels. Tech moves the ball by its formation spreading defenses, its receivers finding open seams and its heady quarterbacks firing quick passes.

That’s not to say Tech’s linemen get sand kicked in their face. Leach doesn’t trot out the first five guys who drive in from Abilene. But the Secret Service mentality — five dead-quiet ruffians who will fight to the death to keep the barbarians at the gate — is not necessary in Lubbock. Just get in the way for one one-thousand, two one-thousand, bam! The ball is airborne.

Oklahoma State doesn’t use Leach’s offense, but it’s the same effect. Spread the field, build more lanes on the freeway, and traffic isn’t nearly as congested. OSU creates run-game space with its spread.

"What offenses have found, when you’re running two-back (non-spread), it goes back to personnel,” said State offensive line coach Joe Wickline. "What you can get on the bus.”

But since teams decided to quit losing games before they started, outmanned offenses can spread out, making defenses line up sideline to sideline, and create gaps.

"When you get enough of that going on, then you hand it off and run right down the middle,” Wickline said. "That gives defenses problems. Are you going to defend the core or defend the flat?”

Please understand. This is no pronouncement that offensive lines don’t matter anymore. Blocking still ranks with tackling as central to this game.

"You still gotta get hats on hats, no matter what the scheme is,” said OU O-line coach James Patton.

The Sooners know that better than most. Put a hat on Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis on those two goal-line plays last January, and maybe the Sooners are national champs.

OU still likes to play smashmouth on occasional downs, which is why they still make room for Haystack Calhouns on the line.

But there is no question that offensive lines’ value has diminished.

There once was no other way to move the football other than knock defenders off the ball or give the quarterback ample time to throw. The Big Ten model reigned supreme; 300-pounders with tree trunks for necks opening holes for hard-charging tailbacks.

Not so anymore, in these days of Mike Leach and Boise State and Wake Forest making the Orange Bowl.

"Lot of ways to skin a cat,” Wickline said. Some of those ways include spreading the field and letting defenders go unblocked, because they’ll be too far out of position to make a play.

You don’t need meat packers for that.

Discuss.

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 10:05 AM
On the other hand, there is this:

The football season hasn’t even started yet, but this year’s Sooners already share a similarity with the 2000 national championship team.

However, it’s not a similarity they would likely choose.

The 2009 Sooners return 29 combined starts among offensive linemen, 26 of those belonging to senior left tackle Trent Williams.

Since OU’s title in 2000, only two teams have won a championship with fewer than 40 starts on the line entering the season. Southern Cal won in 2004 and Florida in 2006, both with just one returning starter.

However, losing the bulk of the offensive line is something OU has overcome in the past.

OU lost three starters from its 1999 Independence Bowl team, and that looked to be the team’s glaring weakness as the Sooners entered the 2000 season ranked No. 19.

Five months later the Sooners left the Orange Bowl with their seventh national championship.

The Sooners had to replace four starters in 2006 but again had a successful transition, allowing just 16 sacks on their way to an 11-3 campaign.

Bubba Burcham, a captain on the 2000 championship team and one of just two holdovers, said they were able to unify because each starter shared a common trait: toughness.

"I think having experience is important, but what it came down to with us was toughness,” Burcham said. "Talent and experience are great, but toughness is overlooked. Having that internal drive it takes can beat talent any time.”

Toughness is something that might come naturally to this crop of Sooner linemen. Former Oklahoma State lineman Sam Mayes outlined the reason why.

Experience aside, Mayes said practicing against a premier defensive line at OSU that included players like Kevin Williams and Antonio Smith prepared their line for the season.

Mayes said OU’s position is equally advantageous, thanks to the Sooner defensive front, led by 2008 Big 12 defensive player of the year Gerald McCoy.

"We were so good because the unit we practiced against was incredible,” Mayes said. "When you look at OU, yes they have a young offensive line, but the defensive line they practice against is at the top as far as their front seven goes. They will see a top 10 defense every day that will continue to hammer them over and over.

"Once the season starts, it’s unlikely they will face a defense other than maybe Texas that is going to have the same type of speed, aggressiveness and talent.”

The 2004 USC team that beat the Sooners in the national title game also had a veteran defensive front. But, in the recent history of college football, offensive line experience has proven to be a major indicator of success.

"I think it’s important to have a group that is used to each other and knows what they’re doing and what to expect,” Burcham said. "An experienced line helps set the tone and the attitude of an offense. The mentality becomes go, go, go fast all the time because the offense knows it can trust the line and no matter what the defense threw at us, we had an answer for it.”

The two teams returning the most in the conference this season happen to be OU’s biggest rivals. Texas’ offensive line has 91 career starts, while OSU is second with 86.

Former OU center Vince Carter said he thinks experience becomes most evident when looking at past national champions because players gain big-game experience before reaching the sport’s biggest stage.

"You can get a talented guy out there who hasn’t blocked an All-Big 12 defensive end on third and long in the fourth quarter with the game on the line,” Carter said. "He gets out there and loses his technique and gets overwhelmed by the circumstances of the game and he’s ineffective. If you have a guy who might not be as talented but has grown comfortable from seeing those situations, then I believe the success rate will always be higher.

"You really don’t see inexperienced lines winning championships anymore because of the complexity of defenses.”

The success rate Carter mentioned is indicated in last season’s final Associated Press poll. Eight of the top 10 teams started the season with at least 65 starts on the offensive line, including national championship participants Florida and OU.

Even though OU lacks experience, Mayes said the Sooners have the potential to become an exception to that trend because of the talent and coaching surrounding the unit.

"OU doesn’t recruit any slugs,” Mayes said. "I have no doubt in my mind they will be just fine with the talent and coaching they have in addition to practicing against a top level front seven. It’s all up to how they respond. It’s all a mental thing now, and those coaches will have them prepared. I have absolutely zero doubt.”

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 10:07 AM
heh...Same newspaper, same editorial staff..totally different concepts and conclusions!

jumperstop
7/11/2009, 10:54 AM
Good reads...O-line is still very important, contrary to what these articles will lead you to believe. But for our MNC sake next season I hope they have the right ideas.

rainiersooner
7/11/2009, 11:00 AM
I wonder where Tech would be if they had an offensive line that would allow them to grind it out on the ground and take time off the clock. I think you can score points in the spread without an A+ line, but you can't necessarily win games.

stoopified
7/11/2009, 11:26 AM
I wonder where Tech would be if they had an offensive line that would allow them to grind it out on the ground and take time off the clock. I think you can score points in the spread without an A+ line, but you can't necessarily win games.
Unlikely that TT will ever see an uber-talented o-line as Leach has such a pass-happy scheme.The vast majority of the time is spent on pass blocking.

IronHorseSooner
7/11/2009, 11:44 AM
Ironically, Tech recruits HUGE O-Linemen. In fact, last year they had the largest OL in the game. The reasoning for that might have to do with their splits and having larger linemen make up for larger areas of the field...As far as we go, like I have said before, the 2009 OL is not worse, but different than the 2008 OL. This line is more athletic, versatile, and maybe more disciplined. Except for Vinson (Loadholt II) and Alendoye (Robinson II), the rest of them are between 6'4" to 6'7", and between 290 to 315. In this day, those are linemen built for agility. With the speed and versatility of OUr offense, these are exactly the guys needed for success.

adoniijahsooner
7/11/2009, 01:23 PM
I agree with Tramel. with that being said, this o-line is going to be more than capable by sept 5th. And were downplaying Sam's ability to get rid of the ball. The D-line dominanted the spring game, but same was still 11 of 13 for 97 yards and a touchdown. When you add in the blocking experience of Murray, Brown, eldrige, Clapp, and Gresham, you have a better group up front than people think.

soonerloyal
7/11/2009, 01:45 PM
The best O-Line in the universe won't make a damn bit of difference if the coaches can't fix whatever the hell is occurring in the Bowl games.

I personally wonder if it's attitude, stale playcalling or both.

adoniijahsooner
7/11/2009, 01:52 PM
stale playcalling

yermom
7/11/2009, 02:30 PM
i remember hearing about all our O-Line starts in 2004 vs USC's before the season. unfortunately i drank that Kool-Aid too...

jumperstop
7/11/2009, 02:32 PM
stale playcalling

The Sooners know that better than most. Put a hat on Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis on those two goal-line plays last January, and maybe the Sooners are national champs.

Agree...I just cring when I think of what could have been if only a few plays were different.

goingoneight
7/11/2009, 05:50 PM
The first article has *some* good points, in that today's spread teams don't have multiple blocking assignments and angles ala Wishbone-style plays, but we know exactly what happens when the OL isn't playing a top-notch level game. Quarterbacks need those critical extra few seconds, that veer to step up into, running backs need lanes or else the best they'll ever get is 1 or 2 yards per play, no matter how good they are.
Can we succeed with a lesser OL than last year? Yes. Can we succeed if we just "spread it out" and make our bread with playcalling? Well... yeah, if we shut out every high-powered offense we play. Oh, but on't expect anymore than maybe a fieldgoal or two.

The game HAS changed in numerous ways, but not to a point that you can just omit five freaking peoples' performances.

Now, in defense of the skilled positions... they're not "pretty boys." They run harder and see just as many touch matchups and physical tests as anyone else playing the game.

Kickers, punters, (some) quarterbacks... now those are guys that you can call "pretty boys." Not guys like AD who are ripped beyond belief or guys like MK who routinely run minimum of 30 yards per play as an outside WR and are still called upon to get separation at five yards, jump up for a high ball and take just as many hard hits per catch as anyone else out there.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/12/2009, 08:51 AM
The first article has *some* good points, in that today's spread teams don't have multiple blocking assignments and angles ala Wishbone-style plays, but we know exactly what happens when the OL isn't playing a top-notch level game. Quarterbacks need those critical extra few seconds, that veer to step up into, running backs need lanes or else the best they'll ever get is 1 or 2 yards per play, no matter how good they are.
Can we succeed with a lesser OL than last year? Yes. Can we succeed if we just "spread it out" and make our bread with playcalling? Well... yeah, if we shut out every high-powered offense we play. Oh, but on't expect anymore than maybe a fieldgoal or two.

The game HAS changed in numerous ways, but not to a point that you can just omit five freaking peoples' performances.

Now, in defense of the skilled positions... they're not "pretty boys." They run harder and see just as many touch matchups and physical tests as anyone else playing the game.

Kickers, punters, (some) quarterbacks... now those are guys that you can call "pretty boys." Not guys like AD who are ripped beyond belief or guys like MK who routinely run minimum of 30 yards per play as an outside WR and are still called upon to get separation at five yards, jump up for a high ball and take just as many hard hits per catch as anyone else out there.

I think they are "pretty boys" because they're the one with the cameras, the autographs, the glory, the fame.

itsok
7/12/2009, 11:24 PM
one has to feel good about this years attitude when several players bypassed the draft just to get another chance. We got experience, all those guys went to the NCG last year.
go sooners!!!