PDA

View Full Version : So, how did I do in the family gun lottery?

Chuck Bao
7/10/2009, 05:58 PM
You gun enthusiasts, I want your opinion on my gun lottery picks because I know nothing about guns.

My dad passed away a couple years ago and we didn’t do anything about it until my grandma (dad’s mom) passed away several months ago.

My dad’s major hobby was gun collecting. My mom didn’t want to live in an armory and was determined to get rid of most of my dad’s guns. My brother didn’t want to get rid of any of them. This issue was sure to blow up and divide my family with the estate sale scheduled for this weekend.

My dad had 50 guns that weren’t already promised or given to someone in the family. My older brother, who is also a gun enthusiast, already had more than 30 given to him by my dad.

Surprisingly, the lottery worked out very well without any hard feelings. Of the 50 guns, my mom, brother, sister and I each took turns selecting one for seven rounds. The remaining guns would be sold in the estate auction this Saturday. We were free to sell our lottery picks in the auction.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/gun1.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/gun2.jpg

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/riflesandshotguns.jpg

My mom selected first and chose a rifle that my dad purchased from my mom’s dad just after their wedding. She gave the rifle to her brother to give to one of his nephews that still carry the Cassell family name. She also gave him a pistol from the lottery to shot woodpeckers that are destroying his Oklahoma home.

My choices were less sentimental and more about practicality and value and then novelty.

In the event that I move back to the US or I suddenly get the urge to produce offspring or fight the space aliens, I wanted a pistol, a shotgun and a rifle.

My first choice was a shotgun. A Bretta 12 gauge over-under and probably one of the most valuable picks. It’s a beautiful shotgun.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/kanunu/12guageover-underands26w10mm.jpg

My second choice was a pistol. I chose a S&W 10mm.

For the rifle, I chose a Rugger 45-70. My brother said that it is a good brush gun.

My fourth pick was a novelty in a German Walther 32 model PP. It was also because everyone was saying that pistols are harder to get a purchase permit.

My fifth, sixth and seventh picks were more about value and being sold in the auction. I picked a sniper gun and a 10 gauge goose gun and another 45-70 with an expensive scope.

My choices were somewhat guided by jokes that the only reason that we would need either a sniper gun (Remington 700 with 300 Winchester mag) or a goose gun (Browning 10-guage stalker) is if aliens invaded. We joked about how big an alien that goose gun would bring down or how far off we could put a hole in that damn alien. I think we were talking about space aliens.

I also selected another 45-70 with a good scope for my last pick.

My brother is planning to bid on both the sniper rifle and the goose shotgun. He apparently thinks a lot about the alien invasion.

So, how did I do in my lottery picks?

CK Sooner
7/10/2009, 06:14 PM
Is that a .22?

(2nd Picture, Left Cushion, First Gun)

SoonerBorn68
7/10/2009, 06:26 PM
Nice picks Chuck. That 45-70 is a hellava rifle.

Your dad had a very nice collection. Is that a 100 round drum I see?

Chuck Bao
7/10/2009, 07:53 PM
I know nothing about guns, but the one with a drum is a shotgun "street sweeper". That one and the M-16 were gone in the early draft rounds.

I wasn't looking for alien attack lethal weapons, but I can't blame those who are prepared for the worst.

CK Sooner
7/10/2009, 07:56 PM
The "Street Sweeper" is worth around $1,500.

tulsaoilerfan
7/10/2009, 09:07 PM
Dayum that's an assload of guns!!!

Tailwind
7/10/2009, 09:59 PM
I only need one. :D

Tailwind
7/10/2009, 09:59 PM
But lots of ammo.

StoopTroup
7/10/2009, 11:47 PM
I only need one. :D

Yep...the one in my hand is worth more than the one your reaching for...:D

Chuck....How you gonna get them in a taxi?

Curly Bill
7/11/2009, 12:19 AM
....and I thought I had a decent amount of guns.

Curly Bill
7/11/2009, 01:01 AM
My Dad had a 10-gauge once, for some reason he didn't shoot it very much. :P

I think when he sold it he sold the original box of shells with it and there was still 17 or 18 left.

Okla-homey
7/11/2009, 06:54 AM
Is private ownership of firearms legal in Thailand?

And if not, why did you participate in the lottery?

LilSooner
7/11/2009, 07:27 AM
Is private ownership of firearms legal in Thailand?

And if not, why did you participate in the lottery?

He said he was going to sell some of them. Isn't that a good enough reason?

Okla-homey
7/11/2009, 07:30 AM
He said he was going to sell some of them. Isn't that a good enough reason?

I guess. Seems like it would have been easier and quicker just to get cash from the other family members and let them have the guns.

7/11/2009, 07:44 AM
(note to self: Don't f*** with Chuck)

Have you called Davey Koresh?

LilSooner
7/11/2009, 08:22 AM
I guess. Seems like it would have been easier and quicker just to get cash from the other family members and let them have the guns.

Huh? How would he get cash if he didn't get to choose his guns in the lottery, and who cares they were his dad's guns even if he keeps them at his families residents and doesn't take them back to his home they were something of his fathers.

Okla-homey
7/11/2009, 08:36 AM
Huh? How would he get cash if he didn't get to choose his guns in the lottery, and who cares they were his dad's guns even if he keeps them at his families residents and doesn't take them back to his home they were something of his fathers.

Firearms are precision instruments that need routine care and must be securely stored to guard against theft and/or accidents.

Here's how a lot of folks do it. Step 1: Estimate total value of all firearms in the estate. Step 2: Divide that sum by the number of heirs. Step 3: Give the heir who can't take care of any of the guns his/her share of their value in cash or some other item from the estate of the same value that he would enjoy and which he can possess and use.

That way, the guns aren't sold off and stay in the family, and no one is imposed upon to care for guns belonging to someone who will never be able to take them.

Sooner_Bob
7/11/2009, 10:11 AM
Dang . . . if that was my dad's collection I'd do all I could to keep it in the family.

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 10:24 AM
And if it was my Dad's collection I'd have used one on him!

Chuck Bao
7/11/2009, 11:19 AM
My mother has repeatedly said that she does not feel comfortable living alone with that many guns in the house. She has two large gun vaults that can safely hold the remaining guns.

My dad made it abundantly clear that his guns were to be sold after his death with the proceeds going to my mother. That is why I chose only four for myself and selected three of the most expensive and will give the money to my mother.

My dad had already given away or promised someone the most valuable guns. We are honoring those promises. My dad kept for himself a few of his favorites and we are keeping those for sentimental reasons. Actually, my brother and sister picked those first, above value or need.

As I explained before, I participated because I wanted a rifle, a shotgun and a pistol from my dad's collection for when I return to live in the US. My mom readily agreed to keep them for me.

I suppose different families deal with this sort of thing differently. In our case, the seven-round pick system worked surprisingly well and we were all straight forward and honest about it and deferred to each other's opinions and wishes. My brother and sister helped me pick out the three that were going into the auction. They weren't going to pick those three and they would have gone into the auction anyway.

Now, we are probably going to be shocked by the prices in the auction. My dad acquired these during his entire lifetime and kept a record of when he bought them and at what price. Just going by his numbers, it will be sizeable.

I do know that my dad would be proud of the way we handled it amicably, fulfilling his wishes and preserving part of his legacy for future generations.

Okla-homey
7/11/2009, 01:55 PM
Now, we are probably going to be shocked by the prices in the auction.

If you mean to say you won't get what your dad paid for them, that ain't necessarily so kimosabe.

The recent election of the current president has done more to boost gun prices and the firearms industry than news footage of hordes of brain-eating zombies roaming the suburbs might.

Also FWIW, if your Pop had horded ammunition, especially in popular handgun calibers, you could sell same for approximately three times the price it sold for this time last year.

Chuck Bao
7/11/2009, 02:31 PM
If you mean to say you won't get what your dad paid for them, that ain't necessarily so kimosabe.

The recent election of the current president has done more to boost gun prices and the firearms industry than news footage of hordes of brain-eating zombies roaming the suburbs might.

Also FWIW, if your Pop had horded ammunition, especially in popular handgun calibers, you could sell same for approximately three times the price it sold for this time last year.

No, that is not what I meant. And, we are definitely not selling ammunition.

Somehow you make me want to put a disclaimer on my posts. All sales will be in accordance to the law and that is part of the auctioneer's job to ensure that that is the case to earn his commission. And, my mom will pay capital gains tax on the proceeds. Does that cover it?

Turd_Ferguson
7/11/2009, 02:33 PM
No, that is not what I meant. And, we are definitely not selling ammunition.

Somehow you make me want to put a disclaimer on my posts. All sales will be in accordance to the law and that is part of the auctioneer's job to ensure that that is the case to earn his commission. And, my mom will pay capital gains tax on the proceeds. Does that cover it?Easy Chuck....I think he meant the gun's and ammo would be worth a whole lot more than what you might think.;)

olevetonahill
7/11/2009, 02:42 PM
Easy Chuck....I think he meant the gun's and ammo would be worth a whole lot more than what you might think.;)

Yup
thats the way I understood it .

Chuck Bao
7/11/2009, 03:17 PM
Easy Chuck....I think he meant the gun's and ammo would be worth a whole lot more than what you might think.;)

I imagine so. That is why I mentioned in the earlier post about being shocked. My dad knew the market value of his guns, but the rest of us don't. And, my dad was pretty good at this sort of thing. He never needed to buy another gun but would buy one whenever there was a bargain.

I'm pretty sure that my mom got my dad's best buddy, the owner of that pawn shop in Ardmore, to set the minimum price. There is no way that we are selling any gun below cost.

The disclaimer was because it seemed like Homey was just teasing me to get a reaction and it is just prudent to add that, regardless. Who would logically assume that gun prices have gone down over the last 10-40 years? Gun prices don't depreciate, do they? And, ahem, that has nothing to do with President Obama.

Okla-homey
7/11/2009, 03:49 PM
Who would logically assume that gun prices have gone down over the last 10-40 years? Gun prices don't depreciate, do they? And, ahem, that has nothing to do with President Obama.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. Historically, factory (non-custom) guns hold their value, but rarely appreciate. Gun prices have absolutely spiked and handgun ammo has become absurdly scarce since The One was elected, solely because he was elected.

Now, that said, perhaps it isn't reasonable for shooters to fear The One, but fear him they do. In fact, in most gun stores nowadays, you'll see a tongue-in-cheek framed photo of the man with the caption "Number One Gun Salesman in America."

All this will be to your advantage at auction time.

Mixer!
7/11/2009, 03:55 PM
Very nice picks, Chuck. I hope to purchase a 45-70 one day.

Third picture, upper left: is that a 30-30 or a .45 MAG?

Chuck Bao
7/11/2009, 04:19 PM
With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. Historically, factory (non-custom) guns hold their value, but rarely appreciate. Gun prices have absolutely spiked and handgun ammo has become absurdly scarce since The One was elected, solely because he was elected.

Now, that said, perhaps it isn't reasonable for shooters to fear The One, but fear him they do. In fact, in most gun stores nowadays, you'll see a tongue-in-cheek framed photo of the man with the caption "Number One Gun Salesman in America."

All this will be to your advantage at auction time.

You are either playing dumb or you can't read.

I said depreciate, did I not? You first assumed that I thought guns had depreciated. Gun prices have not depreciated and that has nothing to do with Obama.

What is your problem with that statement?

If you want to change the subject, say so. Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, when in fact I don't know what I'm talking about. I still don't think you are one to tell me anything important or useful.

Now, where's Jerk when you need him?

Okla-homey
7/12/2009, 06:15 AM
Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, when in fact I don't know what I'm talking about.

I give up.