PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten "Triplets" in CFB

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/10/2009, 03:06 PM
Good read. (http://www.fantasycollegeblitz.com/top-ten-triplets-in-2009-college-football/) I think our state's done pretty well for itself.

SoonerSoph
7/10/2009, 03:13 PM
This article gets me amped for next year, mostly because of the people left out of the triplet.

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/10/2009, 03:19 PM
This article gets me amped for next year, mostly because of the people left out of the triplet.

Last year the Sooners were the first team this decade to average over seven TD a game, and multiple broadcasts pointed to them being the first team ever to score 58+ points in six straight games to finish the regular season. For reasons I only hope are romantic and academic, probable first-round NFL Draft picks Bradford and Gresham return to avenge their BCS National Title Game loss to Florida. Murray teamed with Chris Brown last season to produce 2719 yards from scrimmage and 39 TD - no wonder they split time as I am not sure any one human could do that. Heck, few QBs can legitimately claim to have a shot at those numbers PASSING! To be fair, the Sooners would be the ONLY team worthy of a quintet if this were that exercise (add in WR Adron Tennel or Ryan Broyles - screw it, a sextet). I downgrade this squad just a bit due to a green offensive line, even knowing that this is OU and they reload well.

$hit yeah that gets you pumped!!!!

SoonerSoph
7/10/2009, 03:23 PM
Texas being left for the realm of honorable mention makes me wonder... If Dom can shut down Shipley, we could have another defensively dominated game in the Shootout even when Texas has a great multi-dimensional QB (a la 2004).

There's no RB on their roster that would require us to use more than a 7 man box. And with the best line in the nation... we could put some pressure on Colt.

NormanPride
7/10/2009, 04:52 PM
What makes you think their D can stop our O? Their Line is gone and their secondary is iffy.

badger
7/10/2009, 05:25 PM
In honor of our triplets, I think they should do that jumbotron game where they hide a ball under one of three helmets and make you keep up with the one that hid it... then you have to GUESS AT THE END which helmet's hiding the ball!

Doesn't that sound like fun, guys?

Fun?

Guys?

;)

OSUAggie
7/10/2009, 05:31 PM
When are people going to figure out that Brown is a better runner than Murray?

And I don't think OU really has triplets... more like sextuplets. Too many weapons that consistently touch the ball to be labeling any triplets.

DallasSooner87
7/10/2009, 06:20 PM

I agree fully. CB is absolutely a better traditional RB than Demarco. He is great between the tackles. But Murry has that other gear that CB doesn't have. The "it" factor if you will.

Love em both and proud they are Sooners! Bring on BYU! :pop:

Also this is probably the reason Demarco has been putting on a little muscle weight the past couple of years. He keeps the speed and gains the strength to bull people over.

snp
7/10/2009, 06:21 PM

And I don't think OU really has triplets... more like sextuplets. Too many weapons that consistently touch the ball to be labeling any triplets.

Whenever Brown becomes better than Murray? Healthy Murray > healthy Brown

sooner59
7/11/2009, 12:27 AM
Whenever Brown becomes better than Murray? Healthy Murray > healthy Brown

True. In 2008, you could argue for Brown. In 2007, there was no comparison. If Murray is 100% or close again in 2009, then it will be more of a #1 and #2...and less of a 1A and 1B. But don't take that as dissing Brown. He might be the definite #1 in "a lot" of top 25 teams. In all honesty, Brown has a better chance at being an NFL RB than Murray. Murray (when healthy), is more of a Reggie Bush type player. However, Murray is definitely tougher and a harder hitter than Bush. When I think of Murray, I think of him juking 3 or 4 Baylor players, knocking another's helmet off, then scoring a touchdown. When I think of Bush, I think of that hit he took against the Eagles.....ouch. Is he still alive?

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 12:34 AM
But the real question comparing the 2 is this...if both were healthy who would you want running the ball on the goal line against floriduh when our line couldn't run block and we were telegraphing the running play to anyone paying attention? I want the guy that's gonna bounce off and accelerate outside and jump over a 6 foot guy into the end zone...assuming anyone woulda got outside to catch him in the first place.

Curly Bill
7/11/2009, 12:41 AM

I've been on board with this idea since the beginning of last season. I even have plenty of recent posts on here to that effect.

OUMonster
7/11/2009, 09:30 AM
7. Texas Tech Red Raiders - QB Taylor Potts, RB Baron Batch, WR Detron Lewis

I've never even heard of any of these guys.

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 09:44 AM
I have, but I look forward to OUr D destroying them so badly that the article travels back in time and removes them!

CrimsonJim
7/11/2009, 09:59 AM
But the real question comparing the 2 is this...if both were healthy who would you want running the ball on the goal line against floriduh when our line couldn't run block and we were telegraphing the running play to anyone paying attention? I want the guy that's gonna bounce off and accelerate outside and jump over a 6 foot guy into the end zone...assuming anyone woulda got outside to catch him in the first place.

Since nobody has answered "the real question", allow me: Demarco Murray!!

Granted, both are great backs and Brown appears to have been more durable. I say 'appears to have been' because I don't know that Brown wouldn't have been injured just like Murray was if he had taken that exact hit on the kick off. To me, that was more of a fluke injury rather than a testament as to how durable a player is.

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 10:16 AM
This is true and what's more at this point he's in far better shape than last year.

CrimsonJim
7/11/2009, 10:22 AM
Yep, I fully expect (from what I've heard and read about Murray's health) that he'll be firing on all cylinders first rattle out of the box this year. Last year it took him almost half the season to return to form and he still had over 1000 yards. One can only imagine what he is capable of if he can stay healthy for the full season.

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 10:29 AM
That's what I'll be watching for! He is seriously poised for one of those "for the ages" performances this year if he stays healthy.

E-Town
7/11/2009, 12:05 PM
If Murray is 100% that will be scary for the opposing teams, but if he is 100% and he gives 110% in effort...look out! Could be a special year for him.

badger
7/11/2009, 12:46 PM
This season is the equivalent of an NFL "contract year," where players play harder to cash in after the season via free agency. After this season is the first time Demarco can declare for the NFL draft, so he really needs a good showing. Even if he decides to stay for his senior year, NFL scouts are going to be watching him closely this year.

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/11/2009, 01:33 PM
DeMarco actually could've declared this year. He redshirted 2006, so he technically was three years removed from high school. But given that he's never had one good, full, injury-free year...he would've been foolish to.

G8trGr8t
7/11/2009, 02:29 PM
I think he missed one.

Tim Tebow QB, Aaron Hernandez, TE and Emmanuel Moody, RB for offense

Somebody should do one for defense.

Carlos Dunlap DE, Brandon Spikes, LB, and Janoris Jenkins CB for defense.

sooner59
7/11/2009, 11:39 PM
Defense for OU would look something like this:

Gerald McCoy DT, Austin English DE, and Dominique Franks DB (or Travis Lewis LB)

Crucifax Autumn
7/12/2009, 12:04 AM
If they did defense, we'd have so much more than a triplet!

Salt City Sooner
7/12/2009, 02:36 AM
If they did defense, we'd have so much more than a triplet!
Mebbe we oughta named Venables the Octodad...... :eek: :D

SoonerSoph
7/12/2009, 01:55 PM
Gerald McCoy, Auston English, Jeremy Beal, Travis Lewis, Ryan Reynolds, Dominique Franks.... Double Triplet? Tripiplet? Super Triplet?

Statalyzer
7/14/2009, 02:09 PM
To be fair, the Sooners would be the ONLY team worthy of a quintet if this were that exercise (add in WR Adron Tennel or Ryan Broyles - screw it, a sextet).

Tennel? Seriously? And Broyles is definitely a good player but I don't think he's proven himself yet worthy of Triplet status. He'll get his chance this year without having to play behind Johnson and Iglesias though.

NormanPride
7/14/2009, 03:04 PM
I think he missed one.

The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah QB, Aaron Hernandez, TE and Emmanuel Moody, RB for offense

Somebody should do one for defense.

Carlos Dunlap DE, Brandon Spikes, LB, and Janoris Jenkins CB for defense.

You don't need that many. Timmy's the Holy Trinity, after all. :texan:

soonermix
7/14/2009, 03:21 PM
i'd rather brown run between the tackels and murray run everywhere else

JLEW1818
7/14/2009, 03:21 PM
yup... gotta mix it up tho.. or the defense will catch on

SoonersEnFuego
7/14/2009, 03:45 PM
edit: Youtube FAIL