PDA

View Full Version : It's July 10th and the first Tebow article is out!

rainiersooner
7/10/2009, 12:20 PM
I'm surprised it took so long. Why do I feel like I've read this article before?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=4318570

JLEW1818
7/10/2009, 12:22 PM
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It is July on the Florida campus, which means by the time you walk from your car to the football building you need a towel and a sweet tea. The word "languid" comes to mind. Coach Urban Meyer's office is dark, its occupant stealing the last moments of summer on a coach's calendar.

And then Tim Tebow bounds up the stairs after a noontime workout. It is July on the Florida campus, but the word "languid" never applies to Tebow. He is wearing a black Gators T-shirt, shorts, blue and orange Crocs and a summer beard.

Not that the 6-foot-3, 240-pound Tebow ever resembled a fuzzy-cheeked boy, but the beard is a subtle visual cue that one of the (already) memorable careers in the history of the game has begun its final year.

"It's gone by fast," Tebow said. "It's been a fun ride down here."

A fun ride? Two national championships wrapped around a 2007 Heisman Trophy is a hero sandwich, Gators-style. He has evolved from relief pitcher for Chris Leak to one-man backfield (32 touchdowns passing, 23 touchdowns rushing in 2007) to the more polished passer of last season. He has helped one mentor get an SEC head coaching job (Dan Mullen at Mississippi State) and welcomed another (Scot Loeffler, who recruited him to Michigan).

Tebow's value as a player -- he has passed and run for 8,427 yards and 110 touchdowns -- is surpassed only by his value as a leader. The time will come when his postgame speech after the Ole Miss loss last season will be recited daily by Florida schoolchildren.

That leadership has been needed since the Gators left Dolphins Stadium last January, crystal football in hand. Coaches who have won a national championship learn to dread the Year After and the sense of entitlement that pervades the locker room like a staph infection. Gators, have no fear. Dr. Tebow will see you now.

"When a team wins," Tebow said, "I think they get complacent." His speech raced and the pitch of his voice rose. "I think the great thing about our team is we haven't gotten complacent. We've worked so much harder than we did last year leading up to it, because we know what it takes to get there and we want to get there again. … You hear guys looking forward to two-a-days! You never hear that."

Great players can be found at the intersection of Talent and Passion. But that is an incomplete address for the Florida quarterback. He has what few 21-year-old athletes possess. He has what few 21-year-old anythings possess. Tebow has perspective.

"He's a vicious competitor, OK?" Florida offensive coordinator Steve Addazio said. "But yet his compassion is endless. How many times have you seen that?"

Through his family's evangelism, Tebow has seen the Third World. Through his own outreach, he speaks at prisons in Central Florida. He visits local hospitals.

"I think more so than playing football and being a competitor and trying to win," Tebow said, "compassion and love for helping people is so much more important than any of those other qualities can ever amount to being."

"Compassion" is not a word often heard in football, unless it's the fourth quarter and Florida is pummeling Charleston Southern. It is not a trait the sport prizes. Tebow has all the traits football prizes: toughness, competitiveness, desire. None of them is first on his list.

"Just helping, being someone who, when someone needs something, you're there for them; if it's a teammate, if it's a Make-a-Wish kid, if it's someone in the hospital," Tebow said. "And not just someone who does it here and there, now and then. That's my life. That's what I want it to be. When I'm done playing football, my life isn't over."

One of a quarterback's greatest talents is the ability to see the whole field. A month before he turns 22, a month before practice begins for his final college football season, Tebow sounded as if he is able to see the whole field -- in uniform or out. "I think a good way of explaining it is football is what I do but it's not who I am," he said. "So many people get caught up in 'This is who I am. I'm a football player.' No, that's what I do. I play football and I love playing football. … I'm so much more outside of that.

"I don't want to be labeled as a football player. I want to be labeled as someone who, when someone needed something, or when someone asked me to do something, I was there for them. I was there to support them. I wanted to help them genuinely, not because it looked good or not because someone was going to write about it, but because I genuinely cared about helping someone else."

All of which led to the question. If Tebow had never played football, what would be his normal life?

"I don't really think about normal," Tebow said. "I think normal is something I never wanted to be."

There was never any danger of that. No danger at all.

NormanPride
7/10/2009, 12:26 PM
yawn - same stuff over and over again.

JLEW1818
7/10/2009, 12:27 PM
yawn - same stuff over and over again.

i farted instead!

rainiersooner
7/10/2009, 12:31 PM
Actually, I realized that this guy is a journalist's wet dream. They can just keep writing the same stories over and over again. I'm kind of surprised at Maisel - he's normally better than that.

SoonerInFortSmith
7/10/2009, 12:41 PM
Through his family's evangelism, The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah has seen the Third World. Through his own outreach, he speaks at prisons in Central Florida. He visits local hospitals.

So he's tryin' to make some friends on the inside for when he gets busted for coke possession in the NFL offseason.

JLEW1818
7/10/2009, 12:43 PM
lol hopefully

badger
7/10/2009, 12:56 PM
The time will come when his postgame speech after the Ole Miss loss last season will be recited daily by Florida schoolchildren.
Sure... when teachers are trying to punish kids for crying :rolleyes:

hgarmorer
7/10/2009, 12:56 PM
The time will come when his postgame speech after the Ole Miss loss last season will be recited daily by Florida schoolchildren.
==========================
My kids are Florida schoolchildren AND I'LL BE DAMNED!!!!!!
but they're Sooner born and partially Sooner bred (My wifes from Ohio and a bucknut...I know...I know)

Seamus
7/10/2009, 12:59 PM

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/07/19/Ralf_puking.jpg

goingoneight
7/10/2009, 01:07 PM
I'm of the opinion that the Teb0w love is a little much at times, but I'd rather read stuff like this than what the rest of off-season "breaking news" is about.
I don't like the outcome of last January's MNC game, but I'm not hoping he gets busted for drug use or gets injured or anything else aggy like that.
In fact, I'd prefer it we meet again in Pasadena.
Any way you slice it, Teb0w is a better story than Dunce Young or any of the other thugs and morons ESPN has slobbered over before. To me, he's just a more vocal/active Sam Bradford. The reason he is Tebow is because of those two trophies he's got in Gainesville.

rainiersooner
7/10/2009, 02:05 PM
Don't get me wrong - I'm poking fun of the situation, not seriously criticizing the man. My only serious criticism is that media "bias", if you will, does have a material effect on the polls and therefore the MNC.

NormanPride
7/10/2009, 02:20 PM

http://www.macrochan.org/images/5/B/5BDS6H47KXSUWUA6UL5TSNCJUOIDJY3F.jpeg

beer4me
7/11/2009, 12:34 PM
Folks I am telling you right now you better start drinking heavily come season start or....

Never, never, never watch or listen to any sports stations if you don’t want to hear about Teboner.

Because he is going to pumped and pimped ALL SEASON. Every writer is going to be sniffing his crotch.

For every single story line and if they don’t have one they will make some up.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 12:40 PM
yup

soonerloyal
7/11/2009, 01:28 PM
Try living down here in America's Johnson, The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah's Tabernacle...they haven't STOPPED talking about him.

I'd throw up, but the way things are down here it'd come up all orange & blue.
:eek:

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/11/2009, 01:30 PM
You know what though? There's a positive to all this media over-saturation of Teb0w. By the time the Heisman ceremony comes around, the general public and Heisman Voters will be so burnt out on him that he'll have virtually no shot of winning.

Which makes Sam's chances of repeating even better. Granted, this year's Heisman is C. Thomas Howell's to lose...but Sam is probably one of the most under-covered Heisman winners in recent memory. He just goes about his business and gets his job done every single week. Teb0w won't win it this year...and if anyone is EVER going to repeat...it'll be Sam. I'm not saying it'll happen, but he's got a better shot than Timmy. Mark it down.

Boomer Mooner
7/11/2009, 09:45 PM
Two national championships wrapped around a 2007 Heisman Trophy is a hero sandwich, Gators-style.

Sounds like Maisel would love to get his lips on this "hero sandwich"

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 10:17 PM
lol

John Kochtoston
7/12/2009, 02:49 PM
So he's tryin' to make some friends on the inside for when he gets busted for coke possession in the NFL offseason.

Just talking strategy in the off-season with his team mates.

SoonerLB
7/12/2009, 02:53 PM
Ya know, I think the world would be a much better place if Tebow spent more time in prison. Just sayin' ........ ;)

MamaMia
7/12/2009, 08:54 PM
Alabama will beat them this year.

virginiasooner
7/13/2009, 04:14 PM
Tebow won't be busted for cocaine -- it will be a morals charge (use your imagination).

JLEW1818
7/13/2009, 04:18 PM
Alabama will beat them this year.

SEC championship? rematch of last year?

SoonerInFortSmith
7/14/2009, 10:35 PM
The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah won't be busted for cocaine -- it will be a morals charge (use your imagination).

Snorting coke from a prostitutes ______!

How's that for a moral's charge?

Bosley
7/15/2009, 06:35 PM
He's growing out a beard...that's suspect...now he's even trying to look like Jesus.

But the crocks? Really? That's worse than jorts.