PDA

View Full Version : Texas has turned to motivational speakers...

adoniijahsooner
7/10/2009, 09:26 AM
for success. I am a little concerned, because if you add this with the whining and weightlifting we may be in for a long afternoon in Oct. :rolleyes:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/07/10/0710texfoot.html

badger
7/10/2009, 09:28 AM
tee hee.. the asterisk strikes again

SoonerBacker
7/10/2009, 09:39 AM
"The page you have requested is no longer available."

Guess they don't want to reveal all of their secrets for the upcoming season.

adoniijahsooner
7/10/2009, 09:41 AM
Try this

'If you can see it, you can create it'
Author and motivational speaker Jon Gordon prepares team for 2009 season.
By Kevin Robbins

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, July 10, 2009

Their first game of the 2009 college football season is 55 days away. The Texas Longhorns have discussed subjects such as the manipulation of the things they will dream about at night.

They've confessed aloud their love for one another. And they've talked earnestly about vampires.

Author and motivational speaker Jon Gordon encouraged the team Wednesday to ponder those topics and many others — anything but the actual act of winning. He told the players to think about good habits, not good outcomes.

"That's how championships are won," Gordon said to the team. "I'm asking you to focus on your moments. Seize your moments and you're going to love your outcomes."

A former varsity lacrosse player at Cornell who now makes a living cheering to sports teams and corporations about the attributes of positive living, Gordon has written three books about effective teams, optimism in groups and how to create and channel healthy energy. Gordon worked with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Atlanta Falcons of the NFL; he spoke to the Falcons last season, before which their head coach, Bobby Petrino, abruptly quit and the team's former quarterback, Michael Vick, was convicted on dogfighting charges.

The Falcons went 11-5 and made the playoffs.

The Texas coaching staff brought Gordon to Austin this week to deliver his message to players in town for summer school and informal workouts. A team representative said information about the fee the team paid Gordon wasn't available, but a pricing menu on Gordon's Web site indicates a two-day workshop — Gordon worked with a smaller group of players on Monday — is available for $15,000.

Gordon said he hoped to inspire the team to build "a culture of greatness" before the Sept. 5 home opener against Lousiana-Monroe.

His hourlong presentation in the team meeting room covered obvious but perhaps overlooked ideas. He reminded players to know clearly what they want, to strive always to get better, to maintain mental strength, to leave a legacy of purpose and encouragement.

"If you can see it, you can create it," Gordon said.

He implored the players to "dream while awake," a reference to the belief that people are likely to dream about thoughts they entertain in the last 30 minutes before sleep. Gordon warned players to ignore what he called "energy vampires" — scornful fans and critical media.

At times, Gordon's presentation approached the level of a call-and-response church revival.

"Do you believe you can win?" he said.

"Yes!" the team replied.

"Do you believe in your teammates?"

"Yes!"

"Do you believe in yourselves?"

"Yes!"

"Do you believe in Texas?"

Senior quarterback Colt McCoy also met Monday with Gordon as part of the team's "leadership council" of select players. McCoy said he watched his teammates Wednesday for signs they were invested in the presentation.

"I feel like everybody listened," McCoy said. "I feel like everybody learned."

Texas head coach Mack Brown, who was not at the presentation, later e-mailed a statement about Gordon's visit.

"We're always looking for an edge," Brown wrote.

"We've always worked at helping our guys become better team leaders and grow as men. Jon's books and visit with the team are a valuable step towards taking the leadership training to another level, a level that we hope will help each and every member of our program not only next year but for the rest of their lives."

The players took notes Wednesday night, then pledged to read Gordon's book "The Energy Bus." Players agreed to sign their names inside the book when they're finished and pass it along to a teammate.

Junior defensive end Sam Acho said: "A lot of the things I heard are going to change me."

Acho cited, for example, Gordon's recommendation about "dreaming while awake." Acho said he planned to incorporate that idea as soon as he went to bed Wednesday night.

"Now I'm going to be dreaming about the best team, the best university, the best group of people in the world," he said.

[email protected]; 445-3602

adoniijahsooner
7/10/2009, 09:44 AM
tee hee.. the asterisk strikes again

I just realized what you meant.:D

IowaSooner26
7/10/2009, 09:45 AM
They've confessed aloud their love for one another.

Mack finally got to spill his feelings toward Kolty. How GAY!

OUstud
7/10/2009, 10:39 AM
Matt Foley: "What do you want to do with your life?!"
Colt McCoy: "Well, actually I was thinking about going to the NFL."
Matt Foley: "Well, la-dee-FRICKIN-dah! Hey Mack, I can't see real good, is that John Elway right there?"
Mack Brown: "Actually Matt, we've been encouraging Colt in his pursuit of the NFL."
Matt Foley: "Mack, I wish you'd shut your big YAPPER!"

badger
7/10/2009, 10:46 AM
The asterisk thing was fun for awhile, but it has just resulted in me taking extremes to avoid it when referring to Texaz and it's head coach Macc Braun and studly QB phailbot Kolt McKoy.

But... linkies can't be avoided as easily. Keep this in mind before you link an article if it has the magical words in it.

TJKDone
7/10/2009, 11:06 AM
Stoops is such a motivational guru we have to do something to try and keep up;)

Hook'em

badger
7/10/2009, 11:08 AM
Stoops is such a motivational guru we have to do something to try and keep up;)

Hook'em

A two-time Big 12 champ says WHAT to a six-time Big 12 champ?
http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2008/12/07/big12BIS.jpg

SoonerBacker
7/10/2009, 11:15 AM
"...Gordon said he hoped to inspire the team to build "a culture of greatness" before the Sept. 5 home opener against Lousiana-Monroe."

Too bad they didn't choose to play for a team that already has a "culture of greatness!" But then, there's only ONE Oklahoma!

Dio
7/10/2009, 11:35 AM
As far as motivational speakers go:

Switzer in a donut commercial >>>>>>>>>> Jon Gordon

"Start with the Latvian Gambit"

Seamus
7/10/2009, 11:51 AM
Did you edit that article down or something? I was convinced I was going to see a paragraph about snuggling and reach-arounds ...

SoonerInFortSmith
7/10/2009, 11:56 AM
That article makes it sound like that guy was responsible for the falcons 11-5 season. We better watch out now that **Texas** has him.:rolleyes:

(he's a freakin' former lacrosse player!)

adoniijahsooner
7/10/2009, 11:58 AM
Did you edit that article down or something? I was convinced I was going to see a paragraph about snuggling and reach-arounds ...

Nah, but I am sure there was alot of grabbing each other by the horn. If you catch my drift.

Dr. Jelly Finger
7/10/2009, 12:00 PM
A two-time Big 12 champ says WHAT to a six-time Big 12 champ?
http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2008/12/07/big12BIS.jpg

Didn't you give them credit for one too many? I thought the Whorens only had one in 2005?

adoniijahsooner
7/10/2009, 12:03 PM
Didn't you give them credit for one too many? I thought the Whorens only had one in 2005?

She was being generous.

badger
7/10/2009, 12:09 PM
She was being generous.

You're right... giving them credit for 1996 is giving them far too much credit :D

JLEW1818
7/10/2009, 12:10 PM
"Where are we at in society?"[hairGel]

adoniijahsooner
7/10/2009, 12:19 PM
You're right... giving them credit for 1996 is giving them far too much credit :D

my bad, I forgot they beat Nebraska.

rainiersooner
7/10/2009, 12:29 PM
I got one thing to say:

Blah ha ha ha!

madillsoonerfan5353
7/10/2009, 08:30 PM
I got one thing to say:

Blah ha ha ha!

PLUS 1 BLAH HA HA HA HA!!!

bluedogok
7/10/2009, 08:40 PM
Where's Matt Foley when you need him.....maybe they could get Bruno.

sooner518
7/10/2009, 09:37 PM
A former varsity lacrosse player at Cornell.........

"Ever heard of it?"

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/images/photos/scet/405/NUP_102478_0057.jpg

guzziguy
7/11/2009, 12:29 AM
Brown says, ""Now I'm going to be dreaming about the best team, the best university, the best group of people in the world," he said."

He doesn't have to just dream. A not-too-long drive to the north and he can see all that.

OUTrumpet
7/11/2009, 06:43 AM
http://pluggedinco.web4.hubspot.com/Portals/40574/images/matt_foley1-300x225.jpg

How are you going to win a championship.....if YOU'RE LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

swardboy
7/11/2009, 07:18 AM
Junior defensive end Sam Acho said: "A lot of the things I heard are going to change me."

Acho cited, for example, Gordon's recommendation about "dreaming while awake." Acho said he planned to incorporate that idea as soon as he went to bed Wednesday night.

"Now I'm going to be dreaming about the best team, the best university, the best group of people in the world," he said. Ah, he'll be dreaming of us.......

Jacie
7/11/2009, 07:30 AM
So for the last 12 years, Brown hasn't been motivating them? I guess we're in trouble in now.

Crucifax Autumn
7/11/2009, 08:31 AM
He's been too busy slapping their asses and clapping between tv interviews. I hvae a few motivational boots I'd like to put in his ***.

OUTrumpet
7/11/2009, 11:37 AM
So for the last 12 years, Brown hasn't been motivating them? I guess we're in trouble in now.

It started with the running. And then the lifting weights. And now motivation?

DOOM!

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 11:46 AM
they might have Vincent Young out there next... trying to prepare horns for the NFL !!!!!

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/nelson_ha_ha.jpg

IronHorseSooner
7/11/2009, 11:49 AM
If you need a guy to come get you motivated when you haven't won a conference title in three years, and your bitter rival has won all of them, and they beat you in a three-way tiebreaker, you are far worse off than you could imagine. That would've been like Eisenhower hiring a motivational speaker before Normandy. Folks, it's called leadership, and it looks like down in Asstin, they don't have it!

soonerloyal
7/11/2009, 01:21 PM
"Living in a VAN down by the (Red) RIVER!!!"