PDA

View Full Version : Top 15 plays of the Stoops Era

Collier11
7/9/2009, 08:27 PM
Ive been working on this for a while so I hope I didnt go brain dead and leave something out

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/215202-top-15-plays-of-the-bob-stoops-era

Boomer38Sooner
7/9/2009, 08:41 PM
It says on 7 that Lofton saved the Holiday Bowl. That was actually Clint Ingram, correct?

Collier11
7/9/2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks, as Roger Clemens would say I mis-remembered

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/9/2009, 09:28 PM
I think ENA to Jermaine on 3rd and 18 in the 2006 Big 12 Championship needs to be on there. That was one of the ballsiest plays I can recall seeing in person...and led to a 99 yard touchdown drive to pretty much close the deal on a good Nebraska team.

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 09:30 PM
Me Like

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 09:36 PM
I actually think the tipped Manny ball to Gresham was better than Sam's leap...?

or was it Iggy that tipped it?

OUMonster
7/9/2009, 09:40 PM
No plays from the 2000 Orange Bowl? The fumble, TD, or any number of defensive plays, especially those by Strait, were critical in winning the biggest game of the Stoops era.

Crucifax Autumn
7/9/2009, 10:02 PM
That tip was awesome!

Jacie
7/9/2009, 10:19 PM
Credit goes to Works for the great run after taking the shovel pass from Hybl in the Alabama game played in Norman. However, I still think it was incredibly smart play by not one but two other Sooners who had the wherewithall after they had blocked for Works to then lay down so Renaldo could more easily vault over them instead of running into them, which might have resulted in him being caught from behind by the pursuit.

Collier11
7/9/2009, 10:24 PM
No plays from the 2000 Orange Bowl? The fumble, TD, or any number of defensive plays, especially those by Strait, were critical in winning the biggest game of the Stoops era.

I could have easily gone with any of those plays but I guess I was going more for the plays that stood out. The only play that I think of when I think of the 2000 orange bowl was the Q play

Salt City Sooner
7/9/2009, 11:00 PM
Credit goes to Works for the great run after taking the shovel pass from Hybl in the Alabama game played in Norman. However, I still think it was incredibly smart play by not one but two other Sooners who had the wherewithall after they had blocked for Works to then lay down so Renaldo could more easily vault over them instead of running into them, which might have resulted in him being caught from behind by the pursuit.
Watch Q on that replay, because he was HUGE on that play as well. He sealed off a couple of guys when Works bounced it outside, then after he falls off-screen, he busts his hump down field & picks up yet another block.

C11, the kicker in #9 was DiCarlo. I remember that well because I was in the endzone & about had a coronary when I saw what was happening. When I first realized it was a fake, for some reason the first thing that popped into my head was the fake to Duncan in the '01 A&M game, so I was watching Trey the whole time. When I saw that the ball was going to Chester, my heart sank because Trey could've almost walked in. Chester bailed us out with one heck of a play though. Nate had a great game as well (threw for 3 & change, IIRC)

PLaw
7/9/2009, 11:14 PM
Ive been working on this for a while so I hope I didnt go brain dead and leave something out

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/215202-top-15-plays-of-the-bob-stoops-era

Renaldo Works vs. UA was way, way too low.

BOOMER

CK Sooner
7/9/2009, 11:15 PM

BOOMER

Agreed

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 11:16 PM
lol, it seems like Mark Clayton is everywhere........in sooner videos

SoonerSoph
7/10/2009, 03:18 PM

Strait played great, including that incredible pass break up... but I think it's a shame most people forget how well Ontei Jones played in that game. He might've been my MVP for that game.

yermom
7/10/2009, 03:28 PM

BOOMER

this was huge on a miserable day

that game was much closer than the score

it's gotta be in my top 3, top 2 i've seen in person

soonersponge
7/11/2009, 08:48 AM
Strait played great, including that incredible pass break up... but I think it's a shame most people forget how well Ontei Jones played in that game. He might've been my MVP for that game.

Ontei played lights out that game in everything he was doing on the field. If he was not out there that night, it could have been a different game. The defense itself played an incredible game.

MamaMia
7/11/2009, 09:51 AM

BOOMER

Definitely. I was there. My heart was totally pounding.

SoonerinSouthlake
7/11/2009, 10:53 AM
Gents
we are 56 days away.
words cannot begin to describe my Sooner Wood after watching these videos.

stoopified
7/13/2009, 09:26 AM
It should remebered that in that Bama game Renaldo had not one but TWO GREAT RUNS on shovel passes on back to back plays.I still think those are the 2 greatest back to back plays by one player in OU history.

badger
7/13/2009, 09:57 AM
'nother list idea: Top 15 (20? 10? whatev) games of the Stoops era. does this list exist already... if so, does it need updating?

Collier11
7/13/2009, 10:03 AM
I might be able to, it wont be anytime soon though

Collier11
7/13/2009, 10:04 AM
It should remebered that in that Bama game Renaldo had not one but TWO GREAT RUNS on shovel passes on back to back plays.I still think those are the 2 greatest back to back plays by one player in OU history.

I had always thought that there were two, no one ever talks about the 1st though...post a vid if anyone has it...TIA