PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State vs. USC this September

PDXsooner
7/8/2009, 12:42 PM
So, is there any chance that Ohio State wins this? It's in Columbus, it's early, and USC is breaking in a new QB. However, USC has absolutely THRIVED in big games, annihilating every one they play in the non-conference, and they have embarassed the Big Ten repeatedly in the Rose Bowl.

I want to believe Ohio State has a chance, but my gut tell me USC wins 34-14.

badger
7/8/2009, 12:46 PM
Essentially, this game serves as a "get outta jail free" card for both teams in the eyes of the BCS and voters.

To the winner: If you have a loss down the road, who cares?! You beat the toughest non-conference opponent in the universe, USC/tOSU!

To the loser: That nagging loss on your record? Who cares! It was at the beginning of the season AND it was a perennial football powerhouse, USC/tOSU!

SoonerInFortSmith
7/8/2009, 12:58 PM
Maybe tOSU's qb will run all over SUC like VY did. That's the only way I can see tOSU winning. Not likely, though.

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 01:07 PM
Essentially, this game serves as a "get outta jail free" card for both teams in the eyes of the BCS and voters.

To the winner: If you have a loss down the road, who cares?! You beat the toughest non-conference opponent in the universe, USC/tOSU!

To the loser: That nagging loss on your record? Who cares! It was at the beginning of the season AND it was a perennial football powerhouse, USC/tOSU!

That would be true, but the same thing happened last year. tOSU lost and never recovered in the national eyes, and USC lost later only to be forgotten as well.

badger
7/8/2009, 01:22 PM
The husband makes a very valid point. I think we can assume that all bets are off if USC and/or tOSU lose to a MEDIOCRE conference opponent.

Thus, if USC continues its annual tradition of losing to the likes of Oregon State, their get outta jail free card gets repossessed a la Reggie Bush family's house when he signs with a different sports agency :D

If tOSU can't make it outta it's below-low-tier, more-like-sh!t-tier conference undefeated, it doesn't matter what happened in September's big matchup... just like it doesn't matter if tOSU wins or loses, couches will be burned nightly in Columbus regardless.

CK Sooner
7/8/2009, 01:43 PM
Ohio State is going to win.

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 01:46 PM
How? Terrible Pryor is going to run them to victory? Or is it all the great WRs and RBs that are going to score their points? Oh wait... maybe it's the spectacular game planning and schemes that the Big 10 runs that will give them the edge!

;)

CK Sooner
7/8/2009, 01:48 PM
How? Terrible Pryor is going to run them to victory? Or is it all the great WRs and RBs that are going to score their points? Oh wait... maybe it's the spectacular game planning and schemes that the Big 10 runs that will give them the edge!

;)

Ohio State had a pretty good team last year and they do this year also. Pryor is going to have experience and from what I heard he has impressed everyone with his passing skills in the spring.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 01:50 PM

I wanna live on your planet :)

Both teams have a fair amount of rebuilding to do. But tOSU seems to start slow every year, squeaking by some Mid-America conference teams. 'SC comes out fast every year and smacks some non-PAC10 BCS opponent to garner the early hype. Maybe '09 will be different.

CK Sooner
7/8/2009, 01:51 PM
I wanna live on your planet :)

Both teams have a fair amount of rebuilding to do. But tOSU seems to start slow every year, squeaking by some Mid-America conference teams. 'SC comes out fast every year and s*Mack*s some non-PAC10 BCS opponent to garner the early hype. Maybe '09 will be different.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 01:58 PM
Ohio St will win this no doubt, this wont be the same u$c juggernaut this year...which doesnt mean they still wont go 11-2

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 02:04 PM
Ohio State had a pretty good team last year and they do this year also. Pryor is going to have experience and from what I heard he has impressed everyone with his passing skills in the spring.

He impressed people in high school, as well. He's another Bobby Reid.

And didn't tOSU lose their LB corps?

CK Sooner
7/8/2009, 02:05 PM

And didn't tOSU lose their LB corps?

USC did too.

badger
7/8/2009, 02:07 PM
CRIPPLE FIGHT!

(what happens when previously-powerhouse programs lose all their talent to graduation and the Neffel)
Final score:

tOSU: 3
USC: 2

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 02:14 PM
USC did too.

Yeah, but USC has an offense as well. tOSU has never had that luxury. :D

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 04:01 PM
the spread will be under 4 points.... not sure who I'm taking yet.....

I'm sure some people will get suspended by kick.

starclassic tama
7/8/2009, 04:26 PM

you can't possibly believe this

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 04:39 PM
Terrelle Pryor: 1311yds, 15td, 4int, 631yds rushing, 6td

Bobby Reid: 2266yds, 24ts, 11int, 500yds rushing, 5td

I must be a moron.

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 04:59 PM
I saw Bobby Reid in person when he beat the living **** out of The Woodlands in the state game.

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah, he was an amazing physical talent.

badger
7/8/2009, 05:06 PM
I know that his momma fed him chicken, someone called him fat after he dropped a pass and he needs to come after 40-year-old men, but Bobby Reid got a raw deal at OSU. No disrespect to Zac Robinson, Gundy just seemed to give up on Reid.

silverwheels
7/8/2009, 05:07 PM
I think Pryor will end up more like Young than Reid, but I'm not sure if he'll lead Ohio State to a BCS title.

This should be a very fun game, though. Both sides are replacing key guys on defense, while USC is still struggling to find someone who will live up to Palmer/Leinart.

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 05:15 PM
He is in the conference to get a chance for a title....

Salt City Sooner
7/8/2009, 08:39 PM
If history's any indicator in the Carroll era, USC's a pretty safe bet. The last time they lost a regular season OOC was in '02 @ K-State, & in fact, it's the last time they've lost an OOC game at all (including bowls) sans the VY game.
It's the Pac-10 slate that keeps shooting them in the foot.

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 08:43 PM
yah Stanford and Oregon State... lol

sooner ngintunr
7/8/2009, 09:45 PM

this.

I'll even add a "for sure"

SUC is SUC this year, they lose 3. no bcs.

OUAlumni1990
7/8/2009, 10:23 PM
I'll go with USC. Carroll has been much better than Tressel in big games lately. But I will root for Ohio State. If that qb for tOSU learns to throw, he'll be dangerous tho..

starclassic tama
7/8/2009, 11:28 PM
Terrelle Pryor: 1311yds, 15td, 4int, 631yds rushing, 6td

Bobby Reid: 2266yds, 24ts, 11int, 500yds rushing, 5td

I must be a moron.

bobby reid was a redshirt sophomore with those stats. that's 3 years in the system. pryor was a TRUE freshman. pryor is on another planet than bobby reid, if you can't see that then yeah, you must be a moron.

NormanPride
7/9/2009, 10:00 AM
Reid was injured in 2004 and it was under Les Miles. He had a year in a new system in 2005, then 2006 did almost twice as well as Pryor. But let's look at other frosh QBs that were "OK" like Reid.

Pat White: 828yds, 8td, 5int, 952yds rushing, 7td (split time)
Brian Brohm: 819yds, 6td, 2int (split time)
Matt Stafford: 1749yds, 7td, 13int

All except Stafford played with 1/2 the surrounding talent, and Stafford played with 2x the competition.

I will say, though, that it's way too early to completely judge the kid. Vince only had one good year in college, and that was his Redshirt Junior year. I think Pryor could be the level of a Pat White, and we all know what he did. :(

MojoRisen
7/9/2009, 10:13 AM
Ohio St, will jump on SUC. Corp will crumble and they will throw in another QB in this game but it will not help.

Corp 2 oskies and too much 100K rumbling fans for the Luckeyes to loose this one.

Money is down on this....

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 12:00 PM
So Mojo is it fair to say that....... Barkley will be the week 3 starting Quarterback?

I think so...

CK Sooner
7/9/2009, 12:07 PM
So Mojo is it fair to say that....... Barkley will be the week 3 starting Quarterback?

I think so...

I think Aaron Corp has it locked down. Guess who recruited Aaron! Lane Kiffin.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46247

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 12:07 PM
I think Aaron Corp has it locked down. Guess who recruited Aaron! Lane Kiffin.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46247

lol yep

CK Sooner
7/9/2009, 12:11 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/psyc007/CHANGE1.gif

MojoRisen
7/9/2009, 12:28 PM
I think it is close enough a blow out loss to Ohio St. and 2 oskies may get him the bench.

RedstickSooner
7/9/2009, 01:02 PM
Both teams have some rebuilding to do. But USC's players play at football speed. While the Bucknuts run like they've all just eaten a large spaghetti dinner.

The only games USC seems to lose are against crap opponents. They're something like 75-1 against real teams, their only loss coming against Wunderlic in the game of his life.

As always, I would love for USC to lose. However, if they did, it would be a surprise to me on par with, say, an SEC team losing a season-opener against a 1-AA foe.

CK Sooner
7/9/2009, 01:12 PM
Both teams have some rebuilding to do. But USC's players play at football speed. While the Bucknuts run like they've all just eaten a large spaghetti dinner.

The only games USC seems to lose are against crap opponents. They're something like 75-1 against real teams, their only loss coming against Wunderlic in the game of his life.

As always, I would love for USC to lose. However, if they did, it would be a surprise to me on par with, say, an SEC team losing a season-opener against a 1-AA foe.

Wow!

soonerfan28
7/9/2009, 02:13 PM
USC will lose because they have a rebuilt defense not because of the QB situation. They basically return Pinkard, Mays and Griffen and even though Griffen came off the bench he should still be considered a starter for the amount of time he was on the field.

I think it will be very close but Pryor's athletisism will be too much for USC's defense. USC returns 4 of 5 on the 0-line and a bunch of good RB's, but Ohio St's defense can slow them down being in the Horseshoe. If this game was back in LA then I might feel differently.

goingoneight
7/9/2009, 03:59 PM
Reid was a RS sophomore playing different competition than TP. TP was a true freshmen last year.

NormanPride
7/9/2009, 04:14 PM
Reid was a RS sophomore playing different competition than TP. TP was a true freshmen last year.

We've moved on to how the USC QBs are overrated and doomed to fail. Keep up. :D

SoonerInFortSmith
7/10/2009, 12:26 PM
How bad does it suck to be Mitch Mustain? He's the only one with any amount of experience and he will still be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. What the funk was he thinking?

NormanPride
7/10/2009, 12:30 PM
His mommy told him he was good, so he went to compete for a prestigious QB job.

She was wrong.

badger
7/10/2009, 12:39 PM
I wish he transferred to University of Tulsa. I think he would have enjoyed the small, close-knit campus atmosphere combined with good football... alas, he (aka his MOTHER) chose the glitzy, high-profile school designed to get the NFL contract, not what would be a best fit for his abilities.

Plus, with him at Tulsa, he'd be playing against us soon :D