PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Davis Jr > Michael Jackson

The Remnant
7/8/2009, 11:27 AM
As an entertainer

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:40 AM
...and Sammy hung out with Frank and Dean.

MJ hung out with a monkey and little boys.

The Remnant
7/8/2009, 12:00 PM
For a minute there I thought you said spanked his monkey with little boys.

bonkuba
7/8/2009, 12:17 PM
For a minute there I thought you said spanked his monkey with little boys.

That is some funny stuff right there.......

My wife has been glued to the TV with this crap....I just don't see celebrating a child molester.....gooed entertainer.....but damn.......

JohnnyMack
7/8/2009, 05:46 PM
MJ hung out with a monkey and little boys.

Weird. I mean cause you look like a monkey and you're hung like a little boy.

Turd_Ferguson
7/8/2009, 05:49 PM
Weird. I mean cause you look like a monkey and you're hung like a little boy.:pop: Uhm, CB....how does JM know how your hung? NTTAWWT:pop:

GottaHavePride
7/8/2009, 07:59 PM
Sammy Davis Jr. was one heck of an entertainer.

As far as influencing future generations of artists? Michael Jackson is in a category with The Beatles, Elvis, and Mozart.

No, I'm not kidding.

Turd_Ferguson
7/8/2009, 08:03 PM

As far as influencing future generations of artists? Michael Jackson is in a category with The Beatles, Elvis, and Mozart.

No, I'm not kidding.surely you jest.

GottaHavePride
7/8/2009, 08:08 PM
Not a bit. Show me a dancer now that doesn't know how to do the moonwalk. Find me a musician that won't list Abbey Road as one of the most influential albums ever.

Side note: who owns the rights to the Beatles' music now? Michael Jackson did - who gets control of them?

Turd_Ferguson
7/8/2009, 08:09 PM
Not a bit. Show me a dancer now that doesn't know how to do the moonwalk. Find me a musician that won't list Abbey Road as one of the most influential albums ever.

Side note: who owns the rights to the Beatles' music now? Michael Jackson did - who gets control of them?mj didn't invent the moonwalk.

GottaHavePride
7/8/2009, 08:17 PM
Maybe not, but he made it known.

And he does own a patent for the gadget that let him do the lean in the Smooth Criminal video. ;)

Turd_Ferguson
7/8/2009, 08:25 PM

And he does own a patent for the gadget that let him do the lean in the Smooth Criminal video. ;)heh. the lean was cool.

soonerinabilene
7/8/2009, 08:39 PM

And he does own a patent for the gadget that let him do the lean in the Smooth Criminal video. ;)

You've been hit by.
You've been struck by.
A failed ventricle.

KC//CRIMSON
7/8/2009, 08:45 PM
MJ and it's not even close.

MR2-Sooner86
7/8/2009, 09:43 PM
Find me a musician that won't list Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as one of the most influential albums ever.

Fixed.

Abbey Road is great but Sgt. Pepper's gets the nod.

GottaHavePride
7/8/2009, 10:00 PM
Would you believe I've heard all the songs on both but don't own a copy of either album? I need to fix that.

Oh, and buy some of the older MJ / Jackson 5 stuff.

And Stevie Wonder.

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:31 PM
:pop: Uhm, CB....how does JM know how your hung? NTTAWWT:pop:

Doesn't surprise me that JM would know how someone's hung, but in my case he doesn't.

starclassic tama
7/8/2009, 11:50 PM
as an entertainer they might be close, but MJ's music far surpassed anything just about anybody has ever put out

Turd_Ferguson
7/8/2009, 11:56 PM
as an entertainer they might be close, but MJ's music far surpassed anything just about anybody has ever put outfrom you, this doesn't surprise me.

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2009, 11:58 PM

Side note: who owns the rights to the Beatles' music now? Michael Jackson did - who gets control of them?

He owned it jointly with Sony, and Sony was using it as collateral for a bunch of loans they made to him. If the estate is able to make good on the debt, then the rights will be jointly controlled by Sony and the trust MJ set up with his mom as trustee, I presume. If the estate is unable to make good on his debts, it's Sony's to do with what they please.

Position Limit
7/9/2009, 08:51 AM
Fixed.

Abbey Road is great but Sgt. Pepper's gets the nod.

sgt. pepper's is cute. but please, rubber soul cant be touched.
and for the record, michael jackson was a product. not a talent. he was marketable. combine that with the advent of MTV and a generation of viewers that didnt know any better and you have a star. sammy davis and a plethora of other have been more talented and more enteraining the jackson.

TexasLidig8r
7/9/2009, 08:56 AM
Jackson has been irrelevant for 20 years... "Bad" came out in 1987 and amongst, "Off the Wall" and "Thriller".. Bad was the worst.

Sammy Davis was much more diverse... his talents went into the acting genre plus he had the racial prejudices of the 50s and 60s to overcome to make it...

picasso
7/9/2009, 09:03 AM
I'll take John Coltrane.

picasso
7/9/2009, 09:04 AM

No, I'm not kidding.

you mean like Justin Timberlake? Awesome man!

hellogoodbye
7/9/2009, 09:09 AM
James Brown > SD jr > MJ

GottaHavePride
7/9/2009, 01:26 PM
and for the record, michael jackson was a product. not a talent. he was marketable. combine that with the advent of MTV and a generation of viewers that didnt know any better and you have a star. sammy davis and a plethora of other have been more talented and more enteraining the jackson.

I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not denying Sammy Davis Jr. has talent. He was also very charismatic, likeable, and a heck of a performer.

But Michael Jackson was all of that, and wrote his own music. I don't think you have a concept how much more talent it takes to write music as revolutionary as Michael Jackson's was, as opposed to singing songs other people wrote.

yermom
7/9/2009, 01:59 PM
it's the White Album i always hear mentioned by rockers

i don't think Sammy Davis in his day was close to the impact that MJ made on my generation. i mean i was in elementary school when Thriller came out. everyone was talking about Michael Jackson. he was everywhere. i think the Beatles and Elvis are very fair comparisons.

just look at the Pride and Thriller last year

tbl
7/9/2009, 02:41 PM
Elvis, The Beatles, MJ... Those are the entertainers that have literally influenced and changed the world of music. To deny what MJ did in the 80's is to stick your head in the sand. He definitely belongs with the other 2 giants, and frankly IMO he's second behind the Beatles with Elvis being in third.

Think back to 1982-1984. I was in grade school, and I was nuts about MJ, but so were my parents generation as well as many grandparents. Dude was MASSIVE.

Frozen Sooner
7/9/2009, 02:47 PM
Elvis made it mainstream for white people to listen to "black" music.
Michael made it mainstream for white people to listen to black artists.

Curly Bill
7/9/2009, 02:49 PM
Oh, good Lord!

Turd_Ferguson
7/9/2009, 03:00 PM
wow. just, wow.

Sooner04
7/9/2009, 03:33 PM
Wow! (http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/35974/week-ending-july-5-2009-all-michael-all-the-time/)

Michael Jackson has three of the five best-selling albums in the U.S. for the second week in a row. Number Ones sold 339,000 copies this week and would have held at #1 on The Billboard 200 if catalog albums were eligible to compete on that chart. (The 2003 compilation sold a little more than twice as many copies this week as NOW 31, the album that holds the #1 spot.) Thriller sold 187,000 copies and would have jumped from #3 to #2 if catalog albums were invited to the party. The Essential Michael Jackson sold 125,000 copies and would have dropped from #2 to #5. (Billboard excludes catalog albums from the big chart on the theory that new albums need the spotlight the chart provides more than past hits do.)

The Remnant
7/9/2009, 03:56 PM
Sammy Davis Jr > James Brown
1. acting
2. singing
3. dancing
4. impersonations
5. comedy

Sooner04
7/9/2009, 04:00 PM
How in the world did James Brown get thrown into this conversation?

Oh, and SDJ is about as underrated as it gets. I'm not saying he was the entertainer Jackson was, but the guy was immensely talented. He won an Emmy and a Tony and was nominated for a Golden Globe. That covers the gamut right there.

The Remnant
7/9/2009, 04:05 PM
If a few people on this board ever saw Sammy Davis Jr appear live, they might have a different opinion.

yermom
7/9/2009, 04:37 PM
i'm not saying he wasn't talented, i'm saying he didn't have the all-encompassing impact on culture that MJ did at his peak

sitzpinkler
7/9/2009, 04:47 PM

that's how I feel about Elvis, minus the MTV stuff of course

I can't stand him

JohnnyMack
7/9/2009, 04:58 PM
Doesn't surprise me that JM would know how someone's hung, but in my case he doesn't.

So you're denying the youtube video exists? :pop:

KC//CRIMSON
7/9/2009, 07:09 PM

Put down the crack pipe and slowly walk away, goofball.

Turd_Ferguson
7/9/2009, 07:17 PM
Put down the crack pipe and slowly walk away, goofball.http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif Post reported. Stop the name calling. NOW.

KC//CRIMSON
7/9/2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif Post reported. Stop the name calling. NOW.

No, goofball.

Turd_Ferguson
7/9/2009, 07:24 PM
No, goofball.Youuuuu bastard!:mad::D

JohnnyMack
7/9/2009, 07:25 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif Post reported. Stop the name calling. NOW.

Butthead

Turd_Ferguson
7/9/2009, 07:32 PM
Buttheadyou just a bitch, you don't bother me.

:D

JohnnyMack
7/9/2009, 08:39 PM
you just a bitch, you don't bother me.

:D

That's the EXACT same thing I put on your mom's christmas card!

Turd_Ferguson
7/9/2009, 09:13 PM
That's the EXACT same thing I put on your mom's christmas card!My Mom's dead. thanks for playing.

olevetonahill
7/9/2009, 09:17 PM
Butthead

Beavis :D

starclassic tama
7/13/2009, 02:03 PM
from you, this doesn't surprise me.

sickk burn bro!

The Remnant
8/1/2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agYS1za9TNc