PDA

View Full Version : OU fans set new ticket record

Jay C. Upchurch
7/8/2009, 10:20 AM
NORMAN -- Oklahoma’s fans have long been recognized as some of the nation’s most loyal, and in 2009, they may be without peer.

OU’s Athletics Department Ticket Office is finishing the renewal process for football season tickets and the figures came in at a staggering 99 percent, a record during Bob Stoops’ 11 seasons as head coach.

Some 69,000 general public season tickets are sold, and those purchases are renewable. In addition, the athletics department sells another 8,000 season tickets to OU students on an annual basis running the total season ticket figure to 77,000.

Ticket office officials said that Oklahoma’s average renewal rate is around 96 percent, but that it has never dipped below 94 percent since Bob Stoops was hired. The current figure is believed to be an OU record as well and possibly the top rate nationally.

Not surprisingly, the renewal number is accompanied by a record number of contributors to the Sooner Club. With 10,277 members among that group, the department has seen an increase of 715 donors during the last year.

On the heels of the June 16 announcement touting some $ 7 million of athletics support to academic programs, OU President David L. Boren thanked those whose gifts and purchases have strengthened the athletics program.

“The season ticket renewal rate is evidence of the strong support given to the University of Oklahoma by our graduates and the people of Oklahoma,” Boren said. “The support of Oklahomans for both our athletic and academic programs inspires us to reach for even higher standards of excellence.”

Joe Castiglione, OU Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Programs and Athletics Director, echoed Boren’s praise of the support base.

“When we speak so glowingly about their dedication and support of our program, it’s not just lip service,” said Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Programs and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione. “These numbers illustrate why we praise them the way we do; they’re remarkable.

“We don’t have all the figures, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that renewal rate led the nation. This rate would be exceptional any year but is especially notable during these challenging economic times.

“We hope those who contribute to our department and purchase tickets to our events understand how very much we appreciate them and how vital they are to our continued success. Hopefully we can adequately emphasize those points. We are a broad-based and successful program. Without the loyal support of so many, this program would be a shadow of the model it is today. We also hope they know we strive to be excellent stewards of those funds.”

OU Head Football Coach Bob Stoops was equally grateful.

“They’re remarkable,” said Stoops of the Oklahoma fans. “The love they have for this program is overwhelming, and it means so much to us. From a coaching perspective, it’s rewarding to me to hear our players talk about (the fans). They can’t wait to tell people what it’s like to play in front of that crowd in Norman, and the personal meaning it has to each one of them is something that’s hard to describe.”

That support is also imperative to the athletics department’s ability to support itself. The Sooner Athletics Program is one of approximately five or six nationally that are entirely self-sufficient. None of the department’s funding comes from tax dollars, campus budgets or student fees. Despite that, the athletics department has operated in the black since President David Boren hired Castiglione 11 years ago.

“It also has been well-documented that the athletics department actually contributes back to the university so not only are we responsible within the university frame work, but we work diligently under the leadership of President Boren to reinforce his vision for all of OU. We’re very proud of what we accomplish, as well as the way it is achieved. We fulfill our fiduciary responsibility with integrity and operate with a spirit of transparency,” Castiglione said.

Similarly, athletics events play a vital role in the local and state economies. The most recent figures from Norman’s Convention and Visitor’s Bureau estimate that some $8.8 million pour into the local economy for each Sooner home football game.

Just this spring, five events, two Big 12 Championships and three NCAA regionals, generated revenue estimated at more than $1 million.

“Obviously we like hearing about the economic impact because we appreciate our partnership with the community and understand how important we are to each other,” Castiglione said. “And while the local numbers are great, I think it’s safe to assume that a number of businesses in outlying locations also are experiencing gains as a result of our events. Here again, the private support of so many has helped us construct facilities which can accommodate these high profile events.”

On average, Oklahoma’s 21 intercollegiate sports host more than 150 competitive events over the course of a school year, not including Big 12 and NCAA events that also are hosted by the athletics department.

For the 2009-10 school year, OU officials already know that they’ll be hosting six-post season events.

In Norman, OU will host a first and second-round site for the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament, the Big 12 Wrestling Championship, the Big 12 Women’s Golf Championship and the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation’s Men’s Gymnastics Championship.

In Oklahoma City, OU will host the 12 Women’s Rowing Championships, while continuing in its role as the host institution for the Women’s College World Series.

The department may be in a position to bid for more events based on the success of various teams during the year.

In addition, the athletics department negotiated a concert agreement that will bring the rock band U2 to Norman on Oct. 18.

OU Sports Information Dept. Report

Boomer.....
7/8/2009, 10:27 AM
Incredible, especially in a recession.

badger
7/8/2009, 10:32 AM
http://i25.tinypic.com/29onc5d.jpg

;)

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 10:35 AM
Oklahoma has been relatively recession-proof so far. I think you're seeing the fruits of our frugal nature. :D

Boomer.....
7/8/2009, 10:41 AM
Either that or the normal behavior for crazy, die-hard OU football fans. No matter how bad off you are financially, you MUST renew your OU tickets.

:D

stoopified
7/8/2009, 11:02 AM
WOW

badger
7/8/2009, 12:01 PM
Those of you that speculate it has something to do with the state's economy might be right. I wonder if OSU will release their season ticket stats soon?

Jack T.
7/8/2009, 12:33 PM
so if you want a season ticket, you better hope you get one of the 690 available each year. ouch.

OKC-SLC
7/8/2009, 01:11 PM
Quite incredible, really.

As alluded to above: this means either Oklahoma's people have protected themselves against the recession, or we're a bunch of retards who put season ticket purchases above other necessary purchases.

Either way, I'm proud as heck.

Dio
7/8/2009, 01:44 PM
So, who are the 4% that don't renew in a typical year?

badger
7/8/2009, 02:18 PM
OK, so apparently OSU has 97.5 percent of the season tix from last year renewed. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090708_231_0_NORMAN257593)

Must be a statewide thing... but still, 99 > 97.5 :D

sooner94
7/8/2009, 02:26 PM
Quite incredible, really.

As alluded to above: this means either Oklahoma's people have protected themselves against the recession, or we're a bunch of retards who put season ticket purchases above other necessary purchases.

Either way, I'm proud as heck.

Well said. I agree.

OKC-SLC
7/8/2009, 02:40 PM
OK, so apparently OSU has 97.5 percent of the season tix from last year renewed. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090708_231_0_NORMAN257593)

Must be a statewide thing... but still, 99 > 97.5 :D

195 of the 200 season ticket holders renewed, I guess.

Boomer.....
7/8/2009, 03:01 PM
Hey, it's a rebuilding year! [hairGel]

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 04:00 PM
so single game tickets will go quick!!!!!

cheezyq
7/8/2009, 04:21 PM
195 of the 200 season ticket holders renewed, I guess.

:D

Not only that, but this is supposed to be their best year evar, and only 97.5% renewed?

oudivesherpa
7/8/2009, 04:35 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/29onc5d.jpg

;)

Badger, give the 1% who didn't renew a break, they probably died.

cjames317
7/8/2009, 07:00 PM
All yOUr season ticket base are belong to us.

GKeeper316
7/8/2009, 08:14 PM
if it came down to my job or my season tickets, id rather be unemployed :P

GottaHavePride
7/8/2009, 08:20 PM

Bingo.

;)

Pride Baritone
7/8/2009, 11:30 PM

No excuses. Heck, it's even in our beloved fight song:

I'm Sooner born and I'm Sooner bred
And when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

MamaMia
7/8/2009, 11:53 PM
I would have a garage sale to pay for my tickets if I had to. I wonder if donations are up as well?

Boomer.....
7/9/2009, 07:22 AM
I would have a garage sale to pay for my tickets if I had to. I wonder if donations are up as well?

With more donors, I would assume so.

Not surprisingly, the renewal number is accompanied by a record number of contributors to the Sooner Club. With 10,277 members among that group, the department has seen an increase of 715 donors during the last year.

badger
7/9/2009, 07:35 AM
There was a cute ad for Visa about a dozen years ago up in Wisconsin about Green Bay residents mourning the loss of their neighbor as a matter-of-fact guy does voiceover from his green and gold lawnchair.

Then, while they're mourning during the sad music, matter-of-fact guy adds "It's a time of passing... it also means that now there'll be extra tickets available for next Sunday's game."

The music halts and everyone runs to their cars to speed as fast as they can to Lambeau.

Matter-of-fact guy: Go, Packers!

OU might have a 99 percent renewal rate, but until season tix rights become family heirlooms and highly contested in divorce battles and wills, they will not have a 99.4 percent renewal rate (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9709432/Economy-opens-up-Packers-season-tickets) like my Packers.

The best part - this is a DOWN year for their renewal rate. Usually, that percentage is even higher :)

PS - 'Twas a joke about the one-percenter thing... I can never resist a dig at Aggie lore. They might have two-percenters, but dag nabbit, we have ONE percenters, nyah nyah :D

oudivesherpa
7/9/2009, 10:45 AM
The 99% renewal rate is really fantastic, especially when you consider that in the population of season ticket holders between the ages of 18 to 98 about 2% would be the normal death rate. That means that 1/2 of the dead people renewed their season tickets. It must be the same dead people that vote in Chicago every four years.

unbiasedtruth
7/10/2009, 12:55 AM
I like the fact that OU fans renew their season tickets at a level that would fill (and them some) most of the other schools in the Big XII stadiums... i.e Boulder, Waco, Columbia, Ames, Lawrence and such....

colinreturn
7/12/2009, 12:37 PM
The only thing i disagree with is the 8000 for students. Thats not enough for a quite populated campus.

jumperstop
7/12/2009, 01:17 PM
The only thing i disagree with is the 8000 for students. Thats not enough for a quite populated campus.

Sure it is. According to wikipedia there are almost 30,000 people enrolled. So 8000 tickets for that amount of students is resonable. I'm a student and don't get student tickets, but I think if we gave them anymore it would make the stadium look emptyish. The NW corner always seems kinda sparse because the students all like to leave a half time because they are too drunk and its too hot, or they need to get more drunk and its too hot. Give those tickets to people who want to stay the whole game.

MamaMia
7/12/2009, 01:49 PM
With more donors, I would assume so.More donors does not necessarily mean more money. I gave 21% less this year.

virginiasooner
7/13/2009, 04:19 PM
I'm sure that there are some season ticket purchasers who will be selling their tickets for at least a 100% markup, in order to pay off the dental fees of their children. Not that I object, mind you (anyone got any bedlam tix for sale?).

JLEW1818
7/13/2009, 04:25 PM
tickets go on sale the August 3rd.

If you buy a $25 dollar membership.. you can buy on July 28th.

http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=TM&linkID=ou&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=