PDA

View Full Version : I think these guys passing should be talked about as well

stoops the eternal pimp
7/8/2009, 09:02 AM
Drowning victims' friends and family call their actions "heroic"
Wed, 07/01/2009 - 6:28pmPublic Safety Iron Range & Itasca Co.

By Nicolette Helling & photojournalist John Thain, FOX 21 News

GRAND RAPIDS - Families and friends of two Grand Rapids men who drowned Sunday say they are not surprised the two church youth group leaders put others' safety before their own.

They're calling them heroes.

Average men who risked everything to help another; behavior, family and friends say, was not out of the ordinary for Albert Hermiston and Nathan Junker.

"Always focused on youth, always helping others and working with others," said Steve Schultz, Faith Baptist Church overseer.

Albert and Nathan were on a weekly church outing at Nesbit Island on Pokegama Lake on Sunday when they swam to help a distressed swimmer.

After putting a life jacket on the boy, the two men were caught in high winds and deep water and never made it back to shore.

"We at faith baptist church mourn with the families of Al Hermiston and Associate Pastor Nathan Junker, who died Sunday evening while doing what was their greatest passion, working with youth," said Faith Baptist Church Pastor Paul Losik.

At the church where both men had served for years, their impact on others was summed up in a few words.

"If you had a need he would do his best to meet that and he would be there for you," said Losik of Al Hermiston.

"No doubt in my mind, he puts others before himself," said Timothy Junker, Nathan Junker's brother.

Members of Faith Baptist Church say Nathan and Albert played many roles within their small church community, but their deaths are particularly devastating on their youth program.

"They're pretty shaken up," said Pastor Losik of the children who witnessed the accident. "They're hurting."

Relatives and friends are finding peace in Nathan and Alberts' strong Christian faiths.

"There's no doubt in my mind, I know where he is," said Timothy Junker of his brother, Nathan. "And that's comforting."

"You always have to be prepared to meet our maker," said Schultz "And these two gentlemen were very prepared."

Pastor Paul Losik says youth who were at the scene of the drowning have already received some grief counseling.

He plans to set up more opportunities for the children to speak with counselors in the near future.

There is a memorial fund set up for the family of Nathan Junker, who leaves behind a wife and four children.

To donate, visit any Wells Fargo location or mail a check to:

Wells Fargo

220 NW 1st Ave Grand Rapids, MN 55744Or, inquiries can be made with Megan Keller at 218-326-7226

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 09:06 AM
These guys are only heroes, not "the world's greatest entertainer" or anything. :rolleyes:

Collier11
7/8/2009, 09:28 AM
What I was thinking is that the networks could stop showing countless hours of stuff about the death of the kid lover and start honoring our fallen war heroes instead...just a logical idea

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 09:29 AM
Well yeah, but don't you remember where you were when you heard Billie Jean for the first time?

Collier11
7/8/2009, 09:30 AM
taking a dump I think

yermom
7/8/2009, 09:45 AM
you do realize you guys are now "covering" MJ's death in this thread as well. try turding up some other thread

what an awful story no one will likely hear about

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 09:50 AM
I just don't think we can hear too much about the loss of the world's greatest human being ever.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 09:54 AM
Bea Arthur?

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 09:55 AM
Bea Arthur?

No, Michael Jackson dumas!

If not for him we would have fallen to our enemies long ago.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 10:02 AM
Samuel L Jackson or Michael Jackson, im confused...

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 10:04 AM
I think Michael Jackson did something....I've heard his name in the news a time or two over the past week.

Hot Rod
7/8/2009, 10:08 AM
I think Michael Jackson did something....I've heard his name in the news a time or two over the past week.

Best Selling Record of All Time....Tha Thrilllllla!

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 10:10 AM
Holy crap you people suck.

God Bless the heroes in the article, and I hope their families are doing okay as well...

Collier11
7/8/2009, 10:28 AM
What exactly do you mean by "you people"

;)

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:38 AM
What exactly do you mean by "you people"

;)

He meant YOU! :P

stoopified
7/8/2009, 11:43 AM
Well yeah, but don't you remember where you were when you heard Billie Jean for the first time?Billie Jean who? :)

Collier11
am I black?

Curly Bill
Billie Jean who? :)

Exactly! ;)

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:44 AM
am I black?

I don't know, are ya?

Collier11
7/8/2009, 11:48 AM
not sure but I thought "you people" was an offensive way of saying you are black?

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:51 AM
Ya know, we're prolly about as black as the greatest entertainer in the world Michael Jackson was at the end.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 11:52 AM
white boy please

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:53 AM
white boy please

Are you mimicking MJ here?

Collier11
7/8/2009, 12:22 PM
I dont even know whats going on in this thread anymore