PDA

View Full Version : If Florida loses a game or two...

OU_Sooners75
7/8/2009, 05:53 AM
who will replace them as the media's best team ever?

Everyone is ready to hand Teblow and Florida another championship...and they could very well earn it...

However, the season is still 2 months away and the Crystal Ball is all but in Gainesville.

What happens if Teblow is knocked out for a game or two or even the season? What happens if Florida suffers a string of injuries like OU did last year?

Though I think Florida is a very good team, they did not suffer the injuries like OU and other teams had to endure last year...it reminded me much of our run in 2000. Where we may have had a couple of tweaks, but no real serious injuries. And all of the sudden the following season...BAMMM, injuries galore.

I am not wishing any ill to Florida, but the Media must remember, that there is a reason the games are played!

Also, since everyone is a firm believer in history repeating itself, Florida should lose 3-5 games this year.

AlbqSooner
7/8/2009, 06:04 AM
I don't see them losing that many games. However, as you point out, the fickle finger of fate often tweaks the nose of the favorites.

Another thing that frequently scuttles the hopes of great teams from the previous year is a big shift in turnover margin. A team that was great at holding on to the ball finds itself struggling in that department the next year. If that happens with Florida, or any other team, disappointment abounds.

OU_Sooners75
7/8/2009, 06:06 AM
I don't see them losing that many games. However, as you point out, the fickle finger of fate often tweaks the nose of the favorites.

Another thing that frequently scuttles the hopes of great teams from the previous year is a big shift in turnover margin. A team that was great at holding on to the ball finds itself struggling in that department the next year. If that happens with Florida, or any other team, disappointment abounds.

I do not see them losing more than one to be honest...but just pointing out their history as of late...

Great season followed by a 3-5 loss season...even when retaining a crap load of players and talent.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 07:00 AM
The horns are going to have a big bandwagon. They are almost guaranteed to be unbeaten going into the RRS given their schedule, so the bandwagon will be packed by then.

Okie35
7/8/2009, 07:29 AM
Florida is not making it back to the title game period. I'm not even sure they will win the SEC. I think that will go to LSU.

Lsu = a Florida loss guaranteed... now pick 2 out of South Carolina, Georgia, or FSU.

badger
7/8/2009, 07:30 AM
I do not see them losing more than one to be honest...but just pointing out their history as of late...

Great season followed by a 3-5 loss season...even when retaining a crap load of players and talent.

If the end result is winning national titles every-other-year, I would not mind this arrangement at all.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 08:00 AM
If the end result is winning national titles every-other-year, I would not mind this arrangement at all.

What !?! After reading this board for a few years, I thought *every* year is expected to be a national title (until it doesn't turn out that way). Are you a closet cheesehead? ;)

badger
7/8/2009, 08:02 AM
What !?! After reading this board for a few years, I thought *every* year is expected to be a national title (until it doesn't turn out that way). Are you a closet cheesehead? ;)

pbbbth... winning national titles every year is impossible... unless you're bammer-like and declare national titles even when you don't win 'em.

We can expect them every year, fine... but WIN them every other year would be perfectly acceptable to this Sooner who arrived in 2001... yes, one year after you all got to enjoy the year 2000 :(

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 08:15 AM
pbbbth... winning national titles every year is impossible... unless you're bammer-like and declare national titles even when you don't win 'em.

We can expect them every year, fine... but WIN them every other year would be perfectly acceptable to this Sooner who arrived in 2001... yes, one year after you all got to enjoy the year 2000 :(

I keed, of course. But on this board, admitting ahead of time that a title every year is not possible seems to border on sacrilege. I couldn't believe the expectations here in '05 after half the starters from '04 were drafted in the spring - many on the 1st day. That was followed by astonishment went a very good and extremely experienced TCU squad knocked us off in game one. Sure we had more talent, but we couldn't have been more inexperienced. I guess we thought AD would carry us on offense, defense and special teams. :)

badger
7/8/2009, 08:31 AM
The difference between the OU fanbsae and other fanbases that as a multiple-championship-winning school, we've been there, we know how to get there and we'll act like we've been there before once we're there.

I think we can also be understanding when we don't make it, because at OU, another championship is just around the corner.

:( the wait is the hard part.

jumperstop
7/8/2009, 08:44 AM
I am not wishing any ill to Florida, but the Media must remember, that there is a reason the games are played!

I sure am. I hope they lose every game and that The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah breaks his neck. Ok maybe something less serious like every bone in his throwing hand, but you get where I'm going.

SoonersEnFuego
7/8/2009, 08:49 AM
I think they're going to be hurt ALOT by the absence of Harvin. A LOT.

DMAFB_Sooner08
7/8/2009, 08:59 AM
However, the season is still 2 months away and the Crystal Ball is all but in Gainesville.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but it does for the time being :mad:

Okie35
7/8/2009, 09:01 AM
I think they're going to be hurt ALOT by the absence of Harvin. A LOT.

I agree.

MojoRisen
7/8/2009, 09:03 AM
There D is stout, if Tebow goes down could mean trouble for sure. What would they do with Brantley - throw? They will miss harvin it was night and day between the 3 really fast guys.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 09:16 AM
weve been the medias Greatest Team Ever twice this decade and proceeded to get drilled, ill let Florida keep it

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 10:02 AM
Injuries can destroy any team, but it's pointless to speculate. What if our Oline's inexperience causes an injury to Sam? No, I think Florida has a very good chance to go undefeated. Their schedule is a joke, and their D is just going to be better. Since there's no offense in the SEC anymore, all they have to do is score about 20 and they'll win every game.

Honestly, I think we have a tough go at it. Our OLine has to be really good to make it through the schedule we have. The Nebraska DL is going to give us fits, so hopefully we're healthy and have gelled enough by then. USC or tOSU will win all their games in the weak-*** conferences they have, and they'll end up in the MNC game with either us, Texas, or Florida. Dark horse is Virginia Tech if we all lose a couple.

MojoRisen
7/8/2009, 10:13 AM
We have a tough schedule, should have us ready though...

goingoneight
7/8/2009, 10:19 AM
I think we should just vote on the National Champion. You know... winning it on the field is overrated. I don't see how we'd make anymore money than to just cast ballots now.

rainiersooner
7/8/2009, 10:26 AM
As Sooners75 says, you've got to play the games. I wouldn't be shocked if we ran the table, because we've got the talent to do it. But, I wouldn't be shocked if we lost a couple of games either (disappointed, but not shocked). The same can be said for any of the other top 5 teams. Whichever team hasn't lost will be the media's darling. And it will help if there's a coach or player on that team that they want to blow (i.e., Florida, Texas, USC, or Penn State).

soonerfan28
7/8/2009, 12:08 PM
Texas and Colt McCoy.

bonkuba
7/8/2009, 12:14 PM
who will replace them as the media's best team ever?

Everyone is ready to hand Teblow and Florida another championship...and they could very well earn it...

What happens if Teblow is knocked out for a game or two or even the season? What happens if Florida suffers a string of injuries like OU did last year?

Though I think Florida is a very good team, they did not suffer the injuries like OU and other teams had to endure last year...it reminded me much of our run in 2000. Where we may have had a couple of tweaks, but no real serious injuries. And all of the sudden the following season...BAMMM, injuries galore.

Also, since everyone is a firm believer in history repeating itself, Florida should lose 3-5 games this year.

I always....always wish them ill....but that's just me :D

G8trGr8t
7/8/2009, 12:20 PM
UF is pretty deep at every position this year, especially on defense. If we lost two or more of our top 8 OL, that would be a concern. There is talent to back them up but it is young. Moody has made a lot of progression this year and we actually have a legitimate fullback now so there should be more between the tackles power plays in the mix to take pressure off of Tebow on 3rd and 2. Brantley (Tebow's back-up) was a 5 star kid that has now had a redshirt year and a back-up year to study and get stronger. Has much better mechanics than Tebow and is a better pure passer. If wobeT should go down, the game plan would have to change some but our defense should keep us in any game this year.

In 07, we lost a lot of guys early, had 5 or 6 season ending knee injuries on our DL, and Meyer had not had the chance to recruit and groom their replacements. We played 3 freshmen on our DL and one was a OL (Pouncey). Our starting corner (Haden) had never played cb before. We lost 5 that year because we were playing lots of kids that had never played college football before. Won't happen again. We may lose one (LSU night game is going to be tough if their QB plays like he did in their bowl game) but 3 - 5, no. Not with seniors wobeT and Spikes making sure people are focused.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 12:21 PM
There is no way Florida loses 3-5 games this year...NO Chance

Socrefbek
7/8/2009, 12:22 PM

I'd take a National title every 5 years. That would give OU 12 national titles in the modern era of college football. That would be pretty impressive.

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 01:04 PM
UF is pretty deep at every position this year, especially on defense. If we lost two or more of our top 8 OL, that would be a concern. There is talent to back them up but it is young. Moody has made a lot of progression this year and we actually have a legitimate fullback now so there should be more between the tackles power plays in the mix to take pressure off of The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah on 3rd and 2. Brantley (The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah's back-up) was a 5 star kid that has now had a redshirt year and a back-up year to study and get stronger. Has much better mechanics than The Right Reverend Tim T. Messiah and is a better pure passer. If wobeT should go down, the game plan would have to change some but our defense should keep us in any game this year.

In 07, we lost a lot of guys early, had 5 or 6 season ending knee injuries on our DL, and Meyer had not had the chance to recruit and groom their replacements. We played 3 freshmen on our DL and one was a OL (Pouncey). Our starting corner (Haden) had never played cb before. We lost 5 that year because we were playing lots of kids that had never played college football before. Won't happen again. We may lose one (LSU night game is going to be tough if their QB plays like he did in their bowl game) but 3 - 5, no. Not with seniors wobeT and Spikes making sure people are focused.

Yeah, you guys are gonna be pretty dang good. The problem is that your QB has to distribute the ball better this year because he doesn't have an insane playmaker to give him that extra wiggle room. Still, the SEC has been disappointing me recently, and you should steamroll most of them. If I were a Florida fan, anything less than a shot at the MNC would be unacceptable. As an OU fan, I realize we play a lot harder schedule this year and it will be harder.

SoonerInFortSmith
7/8/2009, 01:16 PM
I really don't see our schedule as being that tough. Are you people really worried that much about Miami and Nebraska? Seriously? The *Texas* game is the only one to give a second thought to, IMO.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 01:19 PM
If the SEC lives up to its reputation, it will not be a cake walk for UF. The SEC was down a bit last year and the gators still lost one and were challenged by 'Bama (granted, w/o Harvin). 'Bama was over-rated and would never have swept the regular season if the other teams like LSU had normal years. UF will win most of them, but they will have to overcome some adversity to win them all.

My question is about 'SC. Will some other PAC10 team step up and actually win the conference? If 'SC wins it again after replacing most of their defense and starting QB, I'll official declare the PAC10 a division II conference.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 01:27 PM
I really don't see our schedule as being that tough. Are you people really worried that much about Miami and Nebraska? Seriously? The **Texas** game is the only one to give a second thought to, IMO.

any road game against a bowl team who has a young stud qb who can run is scary...enter Miami

any game against a team that can put up 50 is scary...enter tulsa

any game against a team that returns their qb off of a 10 win team is scary...enter BYU

They may not be juggernauts but our non-conf schedule is pretty dang tough

On top of that we go to Nebraska who won 9 games last year
we go to Kansas who has had back to back good years and returns their qb
we go to tech who obviously lost alot but they will be good, we all know that
texas is a top 5 team
osu is a top 10-15 team

Yes, this schedule is tough

gatorpower
7/8/2009, 01:35 PM
...who will replace them as the media's best team ever?

(This response is long, so if you don't want to read it, you don't have to.)

If anyone in the media is claiming the '09 Florida team as the best ever, it certainly hasn't gotten back to Gainesville. I've heard many 'fans' say this will be the best team ever, but I haven't read it yet in a newspaper or television report. Well, aside from the Bleacher Report, which isn't really news.

All I'm seeing are articles on how Coach Meyer is going to Notre Dame or how we've had 24 'arrests' in the past 4 years. There were clearly 'best ever' articles about Southern Cal in 2005. I am not seeing any of that with Florida.

No reason for anyone to feel like Florida and it's fans feels they're entitled to a title by any stretch.

All that said though, Florida does have a good a chance as any.

I do not really want to stir the pot, but seeing how this thread is about Florida, I'll add my two cents.

First of all, Florida was not an 'offensive' team last year. The team scored points and put up yards, but Florida was not zinging it around trying to average 2 minutes a drive and outscore opponents. It was a methodical offense that was heavily tailored for the run.

The players ran the system good enough to make it appear that the offense was shredding some teams though.

The offense is more like novocaine. Give it time, it always works.

The ground attack was good enough to be ranked 10th nationally in rushing with 231.14 yard per and that wasn't just from Percy Harvin. He only averaged 55 per game on the ground (23% of the total) and he usually only ran the counter, a direct snap or ran or the option.

It was instead, a ground attack by committee. Two freshmen running backs, Chris Rainey (35 ypg) and Jeffrey Demps (43 ypg), played a large role in that success and I do not think it's realistic to suggest that they will be less effective as they get more experience. (Rainey, for instance, played with a pulled groin since October and had surgery on it at the end of January). And Emmanuel Moody, the Pac-10 freshmen of the year & transfer from Southern Cal, has finally made the transition from the I-formation to the spread (last year it was clear he didn't know the full playbook and was in the doghouse).

Is it realistic for the Gators to average 231.14 yards/game in 2009? Maybe. I honestly do not think we will, but it's possible. Florida caught a lot of breaks to put up those numbers, including a bad LSU defense and superb individual plays throughout the year. I do not think the Gators will go from 231.14 yards/game to 131.14 yards a game though.

But some interesting numbers. The Gator rushing attack has progressively gotten better in the past 4 years:

2005: 146.75 ypg (#56)
2006: 160.00 ypg (#38) +13.25
2007: 200.15 ypg (#23) +40.15
2008: 231.14 ypg (#10) +30.99
2009: 259.27 ypg?? + ((13.25 + 40.15 + 30.99) / 3)

I believe the Gators will always be 'run first', which will help out in the following area:

Tebow had four games where he completed 10 passes or less (Hawaii, Tennessee, Georgia, & Citadel) and five more games where he only completed between 11 and 15 passes.(LSU, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida State, & Alabama). That's nine games with less than 100 completed passes.

But there are a couple things that could make the offense more powerful from last year to this. I'm not suggesting it will, but these have the potential to make the offense really special.

First, Florida's offensive line grows up. There were only two scholarship players last year who were either juniors or seniors. The interior of the line last year (OG, OC, OG) were two true sophomores and a redshirt sophomore. That's the strength of a running team.

Secondly, after Dan Mullen left, Scot Loeffler took over as the dedicated QB's coach. He does not have to split time in the press box as the offensive coordinator. He coached Brian Griese, Scott Driesbach, Chad Henne and Tom Brady while at Michigan. Brian Griese still works out with in the off-season and Tom Brady has done so as well. He also coached in the NFL last year as a QB coach. He has been working on Tim's mechanics since Spring Practice, where he showed marked improvement on his release.

Thirdly, Steve Addazio, the new offensive coordinator, is a good fit for run-oriented teams. Mullen was a QB coach who only called a few pass plays a game. Addazio has been an offensive line coach for 20+ years, including at Notre Dame when they were actually good, but it's not the first time he's been in charge of the offense. He has been the assistant head coach for Florida's offense since 2005 and he puts a lot of input into the game plans.

But as I said, Florida is not an 'offensive' team.

They're a 'defensive' team. The average opponent scored 2.9 points in the first half of games against Florida last year. I bring that number up because I feel it's more indicative of how the first-team defense is doing.

For instance, the numbers on Florida's defense really didn't do them as much justice as they deserved. There was a point last year where the first-team defense went 7 games without giving up a touchdown. So the 2nd and 3rd teams got a lot of experience last year.

And they're all back. All 22 first-and-second teamers on one of the better defenses last year. This is one of the biggest differences from Southern Cal's attempt to repeat in 2005 and Florida's attempt to repeat.

Southern Cal had their offense in tact, but lost 5 starters on defense: Mike Patterson (starting DT, 1st-round), Shaun Cody (starting DT 2nd-round), Matt Grootegoed (starting OLB), Jason Leach (starting SS) and their anchor Lofa Tatupu (starting MLB, 2nd-round) along with their next best DT Manuel Wright (in the rotation) on defense.

Someone mentioned and I agree (this year) that Florida's schedule is weaker than it was in years past. There is no real offensive threat outside of LSU and their 'new' QB for this year hasn't proven much. Ole Miss won't have the same OL they did last year and neither will Alabama and Florida would play neither until an SEC Championship game birth.

I also think this year will be the year of the dark horse though, so that's what is going to keep this season exciting, imo. Sorry for the length, just my two cents.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 01:36 PM
I really don't see our schedule as being that tough. Are you people really worried that much about Miami and Nebraska? Seriously? The **Texas** game is the only one to give a second thought to, IMO.

One chicken (BYU), two chickens (Miami), three chickens (Tulsa),...

I just can't wait for these to hatch!
;)

G8trGr8t
7/8/2009, 01:38 PM
LSU is going to be good. Georgia played a lot of youth last year, especially on their lines and won't have to worry about chit for brains Stafford throwing interceptions trying to be a hero. Those will be our two toughest games and I expect to see LSU in the SEC championship again so that will be the three that I don't bet on next year unless the lines are real tight.

Not having Harvin may make us a better team because we will have to use more guys. Our TE, Hernandez, is going to be a monster this year and a lot of talent has been backed up waiting on all those Harvin touches. Guy was good but it is still a team game, with important games won by defense and our defense is going to be rocking this year. Look for Moody and wr Deonte Thompson to put up some numbers this year. Demps and Rainey have both added some muscle from last year when they were freshmen and a fr wr Andre Debose is close to a Harvn clone. Will be interesting to see if he can get it done this year or not.

If OU can get their OL to gel, maybe we can do it again on a "neutral" field this time. I don't want to play USC. Don't think they deserve it playing in that conference. Besides, I hate having to play teams that only have 1 or 2 big games a year to get up for, somehow that seems to make them better. Maybe they are just well rested without all the dings that come with weekly wars in a tough conference. Now that the okies are sarting to show up, Big 12 is getting tougher too. Need one of your northern teams to step it up though, south is what, 7 - 2 vs the north in the last 9 years and when the north wins, it seems like down years for your conference

NormanPride
7/8/2009, 02:00 PM
LSU is going to be good. Georgia played a lot of youth last year, especially on their lines and won't have to worry about chit for brains Stafford throwing interceptions trying to be a hero. Those will be our two toughest games and I expect to see LSU in the SEC championship again so that will be the three that I don't bet on next year unless the lines are real tight.

Not having Harvin may make us a better team because we will have to use more guys. Our TE, Hernandez, is going to be a monster this year and a lot of talent has been backed up waiting on all those Harvin touches. Guy was good but it is still a team game, with important games won by defense and our defense is going to be rocking this year. Look for Moody and wr Deonte Thompson to put up some numbers this year. Demps and Rainey have both added some muscle from last year when they were freshmen and a fr wr Andre Debose is close to a Harvn clone. Will be interesting to see if he can get it done this year or not.

If OU can get their OL to gel, maybe we can do it again on a "neutral" field this time. I don't want to play USC. Don't think they deserve it playing in that conference. Besides, I hate having to play teams that only have 1 or 2 big games a year to get up for, somehow that seems to make them better. Maybe they are just well rested without all the dings that come with weekly wars in a tough conference. Now that the okies are sarting to show up, Big 12 is getting tougher too. Need one of your northern teams to step it up though, south is what, 7 - 2 vs the north in the last 9 years and when the north wins, it seems like down years for your conference

That's not a very smart thing to say, no matter how you skew the stats. For example, Malcolm Kelly leaving after 2007 made our WRs better because he wasn't there setting a bad example, but the corps overall was worse because we didn't have a true star. Your offense was already diverse with Harvin in there. You just have to look at the Alabama game to see what things were like without him. :D

oumartin
7/8/2009, 03:07 PM
what I find amazing about the Gators is they have had 24 arrests since Meyer took over for them and nothing is ever mentioned.

Collier11
7/8/2009, 03:20 PM
actually its all over SI.com and espn.com

NorCaligator
7/8/2009, 03:27 PM
what I find amazing about the Gators is they have had 24 arrests since Meyer took over for them and nothing is ever mentioned.

Nor the rumor that Meyer is leaving for Notre Dame.:rolleyes:

bent rider
7/8/2009, 04:03 PM
pbbbth... winning national titles every year is impossible...

Unless your name is Bud Wilkinson.

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 04:03 PM
i could see the media being all over TP if ohio state beats usc.

starclassic tama
7/8/2009, 04:17 PM
well, they did lose their best player...

Crucifax Autumn
7/8/2009, 06:01 PM
well, they did lose the fastest person in the history of the world!

Fixed

ndpruitt03
7/8/2009, 06:06 PM
Tim Tebow will still be God. They lost 4 or 5 games his sophomore year and he still win the Heisman.

AlbqSooner
7/8/2009, 07:47 PM
"Secondly, after Dan Mullen left, Scot Loeffler took over as the dedicated QB's coach. He does not have to split time in the press box as the offensive coordinator. He coached Brian Griese, Scott Driesbach, Chad Henne and Tom Brady while at Michigan. Brian Griese still works out with in the off-season and Tom Brady has done so as well. He also coached in the NFL last year as a QB coach. He has been working on Tim's mechanics since Spring Practice, where he showed marked improvement on his release."
Isn't there some arcane NCAA regulation that does not permit the coaches to work with the players in the off-season?

gatorpower
7/8/2009, 09:49 PM
He has been working on Tim's mechanics since Spring Practice, where he showed marked improvement on his release
Isn't there some arcane NCAA regulation that does not permit the coaches to work with the players in the off-season?

What I meant was, he was coaching him during spring practice.

OUAlumni1990
7/8/2009, 10:18 PM
Seems like the national champion every year is "the best team ever". I can't see how any team who has a loss on their record that year can possibly claim to be the best ever.

OU_Sooners75
7/9/2009, 10:24 PM

The thing is though...after Teblow, Florida and Meyers is screwed for a few years...he has no Qb of that caliber to fill Teblows shoes.

Also, the defenses are starting to catch up to the gimmick type offenses.

sooneron
7/9/2009, 11:17 PM
Not having Harvin may make us a better team because we will have to use more guys.

Disagree a bit here with you and the other gator. Just having Harvin on the field made your O more scary than it actually was. Sort of like the R Bush effect. If he's on the field, the other guys are more likely to get open. I don't know if you have that type of a scary threat this year.

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 11:21 PM
kinda when we didn't have DM when we played yall......

trust me gator... if Harvin were to be out prior to the National Title game, you wouldn't be saying " oh i think we will be better without him"

OU_Sooners75
7/9/2009, 11:37 PM

Then you are not payin tention...

1. Most of the Big 12 retained its talent from a year ago...
2. OU is playing 8 of their 12 games against teams that went bowling last season. And only two of them are in Norman.
3. The Big 12 was a very young conference last year, this year it will be stride for stride as good as the SEC.

Crucifax Autumn
7/9/2009, 11:54 PM
If I had my way Floriduh would go ahead and win enough to get to the MNC game so we could play 'em someplace besides their own back yard and I also think we have some unfinished business with those guys.

SoonerInFortSmith
7/10/2009, 12:51 PM
any road game against a bowl team who has a young stud qb who can run is scary...enter Miami

any game against a team that can put up 50 is scary...enter tulsa

any game against a team that returns their qb off of a 10 win team is scary...enter BYU

They may not be juggernauts but our non-conf schedule is pretty dang tough

On top of that we go to Nebraska who won 9 games last year
we go to Kansas who has had back to back good years and returns their qb
we go to tech who obviously lost alot but they will be good, we all know that
**Texas** is a top 5 team
osu is a top 10-15 team

Yes, this schedule is tough

I know these teams are good and the football team should respect them, but as a fan base some of you are sounding kinda scared. It's almost like some people are making excuses in advance. Anyone who thinks BYU, Tulsa, or Miami is a legit threat this year is not drinkin' enough crimson koolaid. I'll make a couple pitchers if I need to.;)

SoonerInFortSmith
7/10/2009, 12:55 PM
Then you are not payin tention...

1. Most of the Big 12 retained its talent from a year ago...
2. OU is playing 8 of their 12 games against teams that went bowling last season. And only two of them are in Norman.
3. The Big 12 was a very young conference last year, this year it will be stride for stride as good as the SEC.

And when we start giving props to OSwho, the red rump raiders, KU, and Nebbish, well, that's just a sad day in the history of SF!

The big 12 is just as good as the SEC, but that should not take away from our Sooner pride. We should expect to run the table if we were in the SEC too.

BOOMER!

OU_Sooners75
7/10/2009, 04:13 PM
And when we start giving props to OSwho, the red rump raiders, KU, and Nebbish, well, that's just a sad day in the history of SF!

The big 12 is just as good as the SEC, but that should not take away from our Sooner pride. We should expect to run the table if we were in the SEC too.

BOOMER!

It doesnt take away from your sooner pride to realize that the other schools in the conference are going to be tougher this season.

Personally, I think OSU does not have a chance in the south. But that is me.

Other than that, any team in the big 12 will beat us if we take them lightly.

OU_Sooners75
7/10/2009, 04:15 PM
I know these teams are good and the football team should respect them, but as a fan base some of you are sounding kinda scared. It's almost like some people are making excuses in advance. Anyone who thinks BYU, Tulsa, or Miami is a legit threat this year is not drinkin' enough crimson koolaid. I'll make a couple pitchers if I need to.;)

Exactly how do we sound on a message board?

:D

I think it has more to do with respecting your opponent and being a realist than being scared. A realist knows not everything is going to be easy like some people think.

Curly Bill
7/10/2009, 04:44 PM
I quit drinking Koolaid years ago.

So...I'm willing to say there are multiple opponents on our schedule that can beat us if we have a bad game, if Sam goes down, if we take someone lightly, when we have our annual game where Venables and the D appears clueless, etc...

Notice how I said WHEN Venables and the D appears clueless, not IF we have that game? :D

Boomer38Sooner
7/10/2009, 11:34 PM
As Sooners75 says, you've got to play the games. I wouldn't be shocked if we ran the table, because we've got the talent to do it. But, I wouldn't be shocked if we lost a couple of games either (disappointed, but not shocked). The same can be said for any of the other top 5 teams. Whichever team hasn't lost will be the media's darling. And it will help if there's a coach or player on that team that they want to blow (i.e., Florida, *Texas*, USC, or Penn State).

I think that our schedule is very good but could lean to us losing a few games if we aren't on our A-games at KU and TTU

beer4me
7/11/2009, 11:18 AM
The *horns* are going to have a big bandwagon. They are almost guaranteed to be unbeaten going into the RRS given their schedule, so the bandwagon will be packed by then.

Sept. 5 Louisiana-Monroe

Sept. 12 Wyoming

Sept. 19 Texas Tech

Sept. 26 UTEP

Oct. 10 Colorado

Oct. 17 Oklahoma

Then in the middle of the season Nov. 7 Central Florida

They dang well better be undefeated for the RRS.

And with a schedule like this I can hear the whinning already when the BCS points are talley'ed and they get passed by some other team that they think they should be ahead of be it OU or Louisiana-Monroe.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 11:23 AM
funny thing is... the horns that actually know college football, realize if they are tied with another 1 loss team , or something... texas getting the boot.

IronHorseSooner
7/11/2009, 11:59 AM
^^^^ Right there! These last few post explain why OU gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to getting into the title games. In 04, Auburn played a bunch of patsies and FCS teams (like the Citadel), and then wondered why they didn't get in over OU and SUC. Last year, Texas (and Tech for that matter) played a pathetic schedule, OU and FLA didn't, and they were in the game. The same happens this year. The good guys have a tough schedule this year, but outside of Texas and maybe OSU, who has the athletes to keep up? KU and BYU will have some good skill position players, but neither has a defense who could slow down even a "good" offense, yet alone OUrs. Nebbish has good lines (OL and DL), but nothing else. Tech's in big-time rebuilding mode. Miami is still a couple of years away, and Shannon isn't Butch Davis or Jimmy Johnson.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 12:10 PM
yah, and Auburn started at 17th...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex?seasonYear=2004&weekNumber=1&seasonType=2

G8trGr8t
7/11/2009, 07:37 PM
The thing is though...after Teblow, Florida and Meyers is screwed for a few years...he has no Qb of that caliber to fill Teblows shoes.

Also, the defenses are starting to catch up to the gimmick type offenses.

Brantley would start at most programs in this country. He is going to be a great player in his own right. Five star QB out of high school whose dad was a former player and his coach. Great football IQ. Has different skill set which will cause the offense to be tweaked to fit his abilities so any defensive changes being made to match up to the 09 offense are going to be challenged again by the changes in the '10 offense under Brantley.

OU_Sooners75
7/11/2009, 08:07 PM
Brantley would start at most programs in this country. He is going to be a great player in his own right. Five star QB out of high school whose dad was a former player and his coach. Great football IQ. Has different skill set which will cause the offense to be tweaked to fit his abilities so any defensive changes being made to match up to the 09 offense are going to be challenged again by the changes in the '10 offense under Brantley.

First of all high school recruiting stars mean nothing now.

Secondly, he has been less than stellar in Teblow's absence.

He may be something good, but he will not be another Teblow.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/12/2009, 08:14 AM

:texan:

MiccoMacey
7/13/2009, 12:37 PM
All this argument is for naught...they ain't losing two games.

badger
7/13/2009, 12:43 PM
All this argument is for naught...they ain't losing two games.

that's right... they're losing FOUR games :D

(NP has already taken the liberty of telling his wife that she is incredibly wrong and foolish for making this prediction, so no need to tell her again)

MiccoMacey
7/13/2009, 01:27 PM
Since it's already been handled internally, I'll let it rest. ;)

JLEW1818
7/13/2009, 02:03 PM
Florida has already won.... derr