PDA

View Full Version : Codex Sinaiticus

Vaevictis
7/7/2009, 07:18 PM
Since I know that we have people interested in history and in Christianity, I present the Codex Sinaiticus (http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/).

As I understand it, it is the oldest known complete* version of the Bible, which has been kept in fragments at various museums and institutions throughout the world.

The British institution that has held the largest part of the Codex has led an effort to digitize all of the known fragments and assemble them into a single digital edition of the Codex.

The application on the website shows scans of the Codex in its original Greek in one portion of the display page, as well as translations into various languages (including English) in another.

Because this is an ongoing project, be aware that portions of the Codex are still not digitized or translated. Additionally, because of the nature of the document, portions of the Codex are not known to be in anyone's possession and are likely to never be digitized.

Interesting factoid: During the process of digitizing, the British institution has discovered that there was writing in the Codex that preceded Genesis. They don't know what it was, but they know it existed.

* By "complete" they mean New Testament, apparently.

JohnnyMack
7/7/2009, 07:39 PM
Interesting factoid: During the process of digitizing, the British institution has discovered that there was writing in the Codex that preceded Genesis. They don't know what it was, but they know it existed.

I believe that's where Chuck Norris gives god the building permit for earth.

Vaevictis
7/7/2009, 07:40 PM
Heh. :)

Petro-Sooner
7/7/2009, 07:56 PM

* By "complete" they mean New Testament, apparently.

God wrote the forward to the Bible? :D :O