PDA

View Full Version : Attn. all computer nerds...help!!

OU-HSV
7/7/2009, 06:44 PM
Ever since I installed the newest version of I.E. the other day, my computer has been acting sluggish and weird. My AVG scans have detected no viruses or anything like that. But I just tried to do a windows update and I got an error code (seen below). The steps it tells me to take...well I can't do them because I don't have a "windows DVD". Anyone have any pointers? Anyone had this happen lately?

Windows Update error 80070490

If you receive Windows Update error 80070490, it means that a file (CBS Manifest) that's needed to install updates is corrupt. To correct this problem, you'll need to repair Windows. Repairing Windows won't damage your personal files or the programs that are installed on your computer.

Once you finish the repair, you'll need to rerun Windows Update to install any updates aren't included on the installation DVD. To repair Windows, follow these steps:

Close all programs, and then restart your computer.

Insert the Windows DVD into your computer's disk drive. Wait for Setup to start. If Setup doesn't start automatically, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then type Drive:\setup.exe in the search box. Replace Drive with the letter of your computer's DVD drive (for example, D:\setup.exe).

In the Programs list, click Setup.exe.

Click Install Now.

Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).

If you are asked for it, type the Windows Product key.

In the Which kind of installation do you want? window, click Upgrade.

When the installation is complete, restart your computer, and then run Windows Update.

If the problem persists, go to the Microsoft Update Solution Center website to find more information about the error code or to request support by e‑mail.

Error codes this applies to:

WindowsUpdate_80070490

0x80070490

opksooner
7/7/2009, 11:07 PM
Did what it suggests. Just don't install IE 8. It is "de debbil"

yermom
7/8/2009, 12:19 AM
i guess it depends on where you got Windows... did it come on your computer? did you not get a Windows disk? sometimes you have to call HP or whoever for a restore disk. sometimes they charge for it though

after some Googling, i found this as well: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=33386768&threadid=33386763

i don't know that issue, but i think hijackthis couldn't hurt. AVG or anything else can get disabled once you have something that slips in between updates or something

i don't like Vista or IE, but ni general i'd probably go ahead and apply the updates as they come. i just wouldn't use IE unless i absolutely had to for some reason. Firefox poses a lot less problems. i've also been pretty happy with Chrome so far, but i'm not quite ready to endorse it for security

Petro-Sooner
7/8/2009, 12:28 AM
I'm learning all of this because I'm looking at a computer in the near future. When you purchase an apple are all of these issues taken care of by them automatically?

yermom
7/8/2009, 12:35 AM
i won't say that you would never have a similar problem in an Apple, but it would be a lot less likely

Petro-Sooner
7/8/2009, 12:41 AM
Thats what I understand. Thanks for the help.

OU-HSV
7/8/2009, 06:36 PM
i guess it depends on where you got Windows... did it come on your computer? did you not get a Windows disk? sometimes you have to call HP or whoever for a restore disk. sometimes they charge for it though

after some Googling, i found this as well: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=33386768&threadid=33386763

i don't know that issue, but i think hijackthis couldn't hurt. AVG or anything else can get disabled once you have something that slips in between updates or something

i don't like Vista or IE, but ni general i'd probably go ahead and apply the updates as they come. i just wouldn't use IE unless i absolutely had to for some reason. Firefox poses a lot less problems. i've also been pretty happy with Chrome so far, but i'm not quite ready to endorse it for security

I run Windows Vista, came with my computer. Bought it new in like Fall of '07. I'll probably never buy a Compaq again, seems like I've had a lot of problems with it. Plus whenever I've need the key code or whatever...I can never find it. They always say it's on the side of the hard drive but those numbers never work.
I think you're right, it looked like parts of AVG were disabled when I turned my cpu on a bit ago. Just wierd stuff going on. Think I may have got AVG running fine again.
As far as IE..I think I may give firefox a try, not sure. Seems like I tried firefox before and it interfered with my fantasy football stattracker or something like that.

Ike
7/9/2009, 01:32 AM
I run Windows Vista, came with my computer. Bought it new in like Fall of '07. I'll probably never buy a Compaq again, seems like I've had a lot of problems with it. Plus whenever I've need the key code or whatever...I can never find it. They always say it's on the side of the hard drive but those numbers never work.
I think you're right, it looked like parts of AVG were disabled when I turned my cpu on a bit ago. Just wierd stuff going on. Think I may have got AVG running fine again.
As far as IE..I think I may give firefox a try, not sure. Seems like I tried firefox before and it interfered with my fantasy football stattracker or something like that.

In my experience, the behavior of IE and Outlook are indistinguishable from the behavior of a lot of malware/viruses...