PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Repair for Overseas Military (Korea)

47straight
7/6/2009, 10:00 PM
This is the sort of random-*** shot-in-the-dark question that I just know someone out here can give some advice on.

Great friend of mine is stationed in Korea. His fancy expensive Samsung TV went out and they want him to ship it to the US for warranty repair. Of course that'll be almost as expensive as getting a new one.

Anyone dealt/heard of this kind of thing before? Any advice for getting warranty repair service in-country? (besides continually bitching at customer service and writing a congressman, got those bases covered.)

TIA y'all

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 10:40 PM
I have no idea. I bought a TV back in the day while stationed in Japan, Samsung at that, but had no problems with it. Wish I could actually help.

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2009, 10:42 PM
Ain't none of them "over achiever's" over there that can fix it for him:confused:

Vaevictis
7/6/2009, 10:45 PM
Basically, you just call customer service and say, "Look, I'm in Korea. You're a Korean company. I'm sure you can come up with something. You can't? Okay, then let me talk to your supervisor."

You repeat until you reach the top of the chain, and eventually I expect they'll tell you that there's nothing more that they can do in the US.

Then you say, "Great. I'm in Korea already. What's the local number of someone I can talk to at corporate HQ?"

Vaevictis
7/6/2009, 10:56 PM
For what it's worth, bitching at the people who are on the other end of the line is rarely directly helpful. Often times, the folks you're talking to can't authorize what you're asking.

Your approach should be: "Here's what I want. Are you capable of authorizing this? No? Okay. Can you connect me to someone who can, or at least your supervisor?"

Repeat until you get someone who can authorize, or they won't move you up the chain. If they won't move you up the chain to someone who can authorize, then you write to (1) Samsung USA HQ, and (2) Samsung Global HQ. Utilize the same process.

Also, offer an alternative. Often times, different regions have different technologies. It may be that Samsung can't service your equipment locally because there's a technology difference between the USA/Korea.

If that's the case, it may be helpful to say, "Okay, I acknowledge that you can't service this locally. But all I really want is an equivalent television. Do you maybe have any similar specification refurbs available locally that you could send me?"