PDA

View Full Version : Starting five per SF28.

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 08:54 PM
C-Orlando Allen Griffins raved about his work ethic towards the end of last season.

PF-Ryan Wright Worked out w/trainer Frank Matrisciano last summer, but don't know about this summer.

SF-Tony Crocker Has the experience, so he needs to get consistent.

SG-Willie Warren Could play point if they put Cade Davis at the 2.

PG-Tommy Mason-Griffin True point guard. Nice skills, but there is always growing pains.

Way to early, but who gives a crap. I'll stick w/my starting lineup barring injury.

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 09:13 PM
i dont think ryan wright is going to keep Tiny out of the starting 5

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 09:20 PM
Tiny will come off the bench to relieve Allen. Estancia fuera del frigorífico.

Sooner04
7/6/2009, 10:09 PM
If we're starting Wright and Allen then we're going to be in a world of hurt.

soonerguild
7/6/2009, 11:23 PM

Maybe, but not definate. Orlando is athletic and 6'10'', and Ryan is athletic and 6'8''. Now they both have to show big improvement with their low post offense, but defensively we should be fine with the two of them. Not my ideal line up, but it is O's 2nd year in the system and Ryan's 3rd so a big offensive improvement is not unheard of.

boomersooner28
7/7/2009, 12:40 AM
Word on the street is that Tiny Gallon is owning people in summer pick-up games. I think he's gonna work his way into the starting lineup.

NormanPride
7/7/2009, 09:25 AM
Allen and Tiny will be the frontcourt, IMO.

badger
7/7/2009, 10:07 AM
Is this gonna be one of those situations where it's like "We have multiple starting lineups!" and that really, six or seven guys can be considered starters?

soonervegas
7/7/2009, 10:34 AM
Allen and Tiny will be the frontcourt, IMO.

This.

I do think Ryan will be a factor though off the bench....

stoopified
7/7/2009, 11:53 AM
I don't see both Allen and Wright starting,IF Tiny can play at least up to even the level of Webster or Humphrey(both former OU McDonald's A-A),he is definitely a starter.I DO NOT expect Tiny to reach Blake or Wayman frosh levels.

Sooner04
7/7/2009, 01:23 PM
Blake was solid as a freshman, but he wasn't other-worldly like he was as a sophomore. I think aspiring for Blake's totals from '08 would be a reachable goal for Gallon in '10.

There is a rather large discrepancy from Wayman as a freshman to Blake as a freshman. More of a chasm. A very large chasm. :)

NormanPride
7/7/2009, 01:54 PM
Different times, different positions, different roles.

If Tiny can rebound, play the minutes, and defend a Big 12 post player, then he'll start.

King Crimson
7/7/2009, 02:11 PM

in January, if Wright and Allen are starting we're going to be in a world of hurt. i could mos def see them start the season at the 4,5. But Tiny needs to be ballin' on the opening tips for us to be a legit ranked team.

however, i seem to be the only person on Planer Sooner who thinks this team may have trouble scoring the ball. Team FT % should be up, though. :D

on the hoops board, they seem to think we'll average about 80. take out a generous 22 ppg for Warren (who will face Ryan Minor the senior physical double teams)....and where do the other 58 points come from? Let's say we give Crocker 15. that's 43 to account for from no one with significant minutes at the D-1 level.

NormanPride
7/7/2009, 02:30 PM
Finally having a true PG should help the offense flow, y0. I agree that the point totals are aggressive. Tiny is a scorer, as are TMG and Warren. With less pressure on the crock pot we could see more out of him. Also, it's been said that Gamma Ray is re-applying himself and is a scorer as well. Youth is not as devastating in basketball as it is in football.

soonerfan28
7/7/2009, 07:33 PM
The only way I see Tiny starting is if Allen comes off the bench to relieve him. We only have two players that I see who can "effectively" play the 5.

ndpruitt03
7/7/2009, 08:40 PM
Here's the starting 5 and it's pretty much a lock

Willie Warren
Cade Davis/Stephen Pledger
Tony Crocker
Tiny Gallon
Orlando Allen

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 01:47 AM
I'm sure Cade Davis is 2nd at Oklahoma.... pulling girls wise... (behind Sammy)

the_ouskull
7/8/2009, 04:10 AM
Here's the starting 5 and it's pretty much a lock

Willie Warren
Cade Davis/Stephen Pledger
Tony Crocker
Tiny Gallon
Orlando Allen

It's not really a "lock" if you hedge on one of the positions, though, is it?

My educated guesses, far from "locks," would read a bit more like this:

TM-G,
Willie
Crocker
Gallon
Allen

I'm not going to say "book it" or anything like that, but that starting five would also leave us a deece bench with Wright and Davis seeing significant minutes, plus a lot of youngsters hungry for playing time. (Pledger, et al..)

the_ouskull

ndpruitt03
7/8/2009, 04:25 AM
It's not really a "lock" if you hedge on one of the positions, though, is it?

My educated guesses, far from "locks," would read a bit more like this:

TM-G,
Willie
Crocker
Gallon
Allen

I'm not going to say "book it" or anything like that, but that starting five would also leave us a deece bench with Wright and Davis seeing significant minutes, plus a lot of youngsters hungry for playing time. (Pledger, et al..)

the_ouskullI don't see Mason Griffin starting over Willie Warren. Willie is our point guard.

OU_Sooners75
7/8/2009, 06:03 AM
I don't see Mason Griffin starting over Willie Warren. Willie is our point guard.

So we will be starting a SG over a true PG?

MojoRisen
7/8/2009, 10:00 AM
Didn't we get a guy named Fitzgerald? Tiny I think is better than Humphrey and Webster - personally.

ndpruitt03
7/8/2009, 10:33 AM
Didn't we get a guy named Fitzgerald? Tiny I think is better than Humphrey and Webster - personally.
Fitzgerald is having trouble adapting to the workouts so far. He's out of shape and will probably redshirt.

badger
7/8/2009, 10:59 AM
:O So...um... casual fan here inquiring to people in the know...

When you say "starter," do you mean full-time, regardless of opponent, or that there's a potential that others could start in their place?

Obviously, the seniors start on the final home game, but excluding those special situations - and inevitable injuries - who do you think are part-time starters and who are full-time starters?

MI Sooner
7/16/2009, 10:27 PM
I think your expectations for Gallon are too low. What were Blake's numbers as a freshman? 15 and 9? I think Gallon surpasses those numbers.

ndpruitt03
7/16/2009, 11:00 PM
I think your expectations for Gallon are too low. What were Blake's numbers as a freshman? 15 and 9? I think Gallon surpasses those numbers.
About 14 and 6 I think, maybe a little better in Big 12 play. Gallon is good but not Blake good.

Eielson
7/16/2009, 11:09 PM

How often do you see a college basketball player better than Blake Griffin.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/17/2009, 03:03 AM
I think we should think about signing Allen Iverson if the Clips can't get him, maybe get Kelvin to give him a call

the_ouskull
7/17/2009, 10:29 AM
I don't see Mason Griffin starting over Willie Warren. Willie is our point guard.

Willie was our point guard because Austin Johnson was also our point guard. Now we have a big boy point guard, and don't have to play Willie out of position anymore. Granted, he IS more effective with the ball in his hands, still, but that will change as he continues to mature as a player.

the_ouskull

ndpruitt03
7/17/2009, 11:47 AM
Willie was our point guard because Austin Johnson was also our point guard. Now we have a big boy point guard, and don't have to play Willie out of position anymore. Granted, he IS more effective with the ball in his hands, still, but that will change as he continues to mature as a player.

the_ouskull

From what I've heard in the preseason stuff Willie has pretty much taken over as the point guard. TMG has been out or not 100% all summer so Willie has pretty much taken over at point guard and done real well.

stoopified
7/17/2009, 07:58 PM
From what I've heard in the preseason stuff Willie has pretty much taken over as the point guard. TMG has been out or not 100% all summer so Willie has pretty much taken over at point guard and done real well.If true that is the only way WW is OUr starting PG.WW is pure shooting guard and is at his best when he can create and score without having to bring the ball up and run the offense.