PDA

View Full Version : Royal turns 85 today

Jay C. Upchurch
7/6/2009, 05:10 PM
I realize there are OU fans out there who hold a grudge against Darrell Royal because he decided to swim across the Red River and wear the burnt orange after his legendary career as a Sooner.... And even though he spent most of his adult life as either the coach, AD or advisor at Texas and is obviously more than a little biased toward the Longhorns -- the truth is -- Darrell Royal has always cherished his time at OU and still considers himself part-Sooner.

He has always been gracious when we have called him for an interview to talk about his days with Bud Wilkinson and OU. So happy 85th birthday to a former OU great and a rival worthy of our respect.

Jay U.

CK Sooner
7/6/2009, 05:11 PM
Happy Birthday!

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 05:15 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

goingoneight
7/6/2009, 06:00 PM
Even though he went Hook 'em, it's always nice to see Sooner success, even in hell.

And think about it... Texas' stadium is named after a Sooner. How 'bout that for "who's yer daddy?"

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 06:36 PM
Enjoy your F*CKIN' birthday........traitor.:D

swardboy
7/6/2009, 08:03 PM
At least he didn't go to Neuter Dame.....Happy Birthday!

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 08:04 PM
That was low.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 08:07 PM
I dont have a Prob with where he coached. I have a prob with all the accusations he leveled at Our Team and Coaches

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 08:10 PM
He couldn't go to Notre Dame.....Happy Birthday!Fixed.

picasso
7/6/2009, 09:11 PM
I realize there are OU fans out there who hold a grudge against Darrell Royal because he decided to swim across the Red River and wear the burnt orange after his legendary career as a Sooner.... And even though he spent most of his adult life as either the coach, AD or advisor at *Texas* and is obviously more than a little biased toward the Long*horns* -- the truth is -- Darrell Royal has always cherished his time at OU and still considers himself part-Sooner.

He has always been gracious when we have called him for an interview to talk about his days with Bud Wilkinson and OU. So happy 85th birthday to a former OU great and a rival worthy of our respect.

Jay U.
Didn't he decline an invitation a few years back when his Sooner team was honored? How many times has he done this?

I'll pass.

Seamus
7/6/2009, 09:41 PM
I think brimstone is burnt orange. Just sayin'.

But what Picasso and Olevet said.

ndpruitt03
7/6/2009, 10:01 PM
Happy Birthday, traitor.

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 10:22 PM
Count me out on the Happy Birthday wishes.

Jay C. Upchurch
7/6/2009, 10:49 PM
He's been back to Norman for several 1949 team reunions. I'm not sure about him declining an invitation, but I do know all of his former OU teammates (at least the dozen or so who I've met) still love and respect the man.

Royal still idolizes Wilkinson...

Royal not taking the Texas job when it came open would have been like a regular person holding the winning lottery ticket and simply never cashing it. Texas was one of the top 2-3 jobs in the country, so it was obviously a career decision (and one that worked out quite well).

SicEmBaylor
7/6/2009, 11:02 PM
As a non-Sooner, I feel totally liberated to hate Darrell Royal without any sense of guilt.

XingTheRubicon
7/6/2009, 11:03 PM
There's two OU alums I can think of that at one time or currently, rigidly despise their alma mater.

John Blake and Darrell Royal.

They can both play Twister in Hell for all I care.;)

CrimsonJim
7/6/2009, 11:28 PM
Happy Birthday and schit!!

unbiasedtruth
7/7/2009, 12:14 AM
I could care less that he took his knowledge and skills learned under Bud at OU and applied them at Texas. What hurts more is how big a racist and bigot the man was and is and how that reflects in a negative light against all that is Oklahoma......

47straight
7/7/2009, 12:39 AM
Sure he idolizes Bud... it's pretty easy to tell when nearly every worthy football saying you hear attributed him he stole from Bud Wilkinson.

MyT Oklahoma
7/7/2009, 01:56 AM
I prefer to remember the positives. Happy Birthday Coach Royal.

Fraggle145
7/7/2009, 02:07 AM
He still holds the school interception record... I believe it is 17?

He was a good Sooner.

Only way texas can win is with a Sooner... just ask mack.

olevetonahill
7/7/2009, 02:29 AM
**** him :pop:

Crucifax Autumn
7/7/2009, 03:01 AM
**** 'em all

Seamus
7/7/2009, 03:27 AM
I prefer to remember the positives. Happy Birthday Coach Royal.

I wasn't around for the positives.

I was for the satanism that ensued.

badger
7/7/2009, 07:40 AM
I hated Barry Switzer at a time too because he was the Dallas Cowboys coach when there were those awful years involving the Packers losing a lot and the players playing dirty a lot. You hold coaches responsible for crap like that, because it's easy to blame them.

As such, I can completely understand Sooners disliking DKR for being at Texaz and such. However, I've moved past hating Barry Switzer. I've sat down and spoke with him and when I mention that I'm a Packer fan he knows I'm still thinking about 1995 and we can both laugh about it.

As such, can all of you look back and laugh too? It's not like DKR still coaches the wh0rns, just like Switzer no longer coaches the NFL team I despise most of all.

MyT Oklahoma
7/7/2009, 09:26 AM
It's important to remember our past and Royal played a part in it which contributed to our success today. To each his/her own but I still say Happy Birthday.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2009, 09:54 AM
They can both play nude Twister in Hell for all I care.;)

I just threw up a lot in my mouth.:(

Jdog
7/7/2009, 10:34 AM
I just like it that the university of *Texas* has named their football stadium after an OU All American.

I live in north *Texas* - and when a horn is getting a little long in the tooth, I mention this fact. It shuts em up immediately. Proverbial deer in the headlights

badger
7/7/2009, 10:40 AM
I just like it that the university of **Texas** has named their football stadium after an OU All American.

Texan: Yeah... well YOUR stadium is named after... VETERANS... and... umm... MEMORIALIZES... them... umm...

MrJimBeam
7/7/2009, 11:04 AM
I dont have a Prob with where he coached. I have a prob with all the accusations he leveled at Our Team and Coaches

Most of which were probably true.

EstablishedSooner1967
7/7/2009, 11:16 AM
Happy Birthday to the great Sooner .... and I hope you have a crappy birthday and nothing goes right you trader longhorn lover!

stoopified
7/7/2009, 11:43 AM
Not surprising Royal is still alive,after all EVERYONE knows Satan is immortal. :D

Dio
7/7/2009, 01:00 PM
"part-Sooner" = not a Sooner

SwitzerIsMyKing
7/7/2009, 03:27 PM
Always been a fan of Royal and he's always been very helpful with things that I needed. Happy Birthday!

TahoeSOONER
7/7/2009, 08:14 PM
He stopped having Birthdays long ago in these eyes, he's dead to me.