PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye DirectTV, Hello Dish Network

stoops the eternal pimp
7/6/2009, 03:29 PM
Dont cry for me...I'll be back in 2 years when this contract runs up..

OUAlumni1990
7/6/2009, 03:51 PM
Why are you leaving? (I'm not judging, I'm considering doing the same).

stoops the eternal pimp
7/6/2009, 03:58 PM
my contract ran up and I like the packages Dish is offering right now..

I went with the TurboHD gold with all the premiums

2 HD receiver(1 with DVR)
protection plan

everything is gonna be at 100 bucks a month with promotions expire

Right now with Direct, I pay 95, and its just regular channels with the DVR, HD, and protection plan

Boomer.....
7/6/2009, 04:09 PM
Cox.

YWIA.

:pop:

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 04:15 PM
do you get uVerse??? kicks ***

walkoffsooner
7/6/2009, 04:45 PM
i was playing that game. Last time I wasn't a new customer I was a previous customer. Put in wifes name.

John Kochtoston
7/6/2009, 04:52 PM
do you get uVerse??? kicks ***

Yes, I do and no, it doesn't.

picasso
7/6/2009, 05:34 PM
you will lose.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 05:40 PM
no problems with UVerse thus far.

StoopTroup
7/6/2009, 06:13 PM
Cox.

YWIA.

:pop:

Some people go nuts for the cox.

I'm with AT&T U-verse.

John Kochtoston
7/6/2009, 06:37 PM
no problems with UVerse thus far.

I wish I had your experience ... billing problems, ridiculously slow internet, crappy picture ... and no Center Ice package.

OUAlumni1990
7/6/2009, 07:22 PM
Some people go nuts for the cox.

I'm with AT&T U-verse.

LOL.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/6/2009, 07:25 PM
going nuts for the cox....cox and nuts always go together

Scott D
7/6/2009, 08:12 PM
I shall stick with the DirecTV and my free Showtime.

bluedogok
7/6/2009, 08:20 PM
Yep, along with NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, I dropped NHL Center Ice.

Petro-Sooner
7/6/2009, 09:18 PM
Is the Internet faster with cox or at@t? I've been with
cox for nine years and havnt really had any issues. Some
of my buddies can't stand them

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2009, 09:38 PM
I got 4,5,9,25 &34 plus 56k dial up......suck it bitch's!!!!!

Sooner_Bob
7/6/2009, 09:42 PM

This!;)

sooner ngintunr
7/6/2009, 10:06 PM
I dropped directv as soon as I found out that they blacked out certain OU games. When I called them on it, they said, well its probably not a sell out! Of course, it was, and I'm like 100 miles from campus anyway, WTF?

I love Cox:D Peanuts are good too!:D

bluedogok
7/7/2009, 11:45 AM
I dropped directv as soon as I found out that they blacked out certain OU games. When I called them on it, they said, well its probably not a sell out! Of course, it was, and I'm like 100 miles from campus anyway, WTF?

For football? That hasn't happened to me when I lived in OKC or Austin and I have had Directv for 10 years. The only time it wasn't on was when there was no broadcast like Baylor a few years back. Every other game has been on and the few PPV games have been on there as well.

Now basketball, that is a different issue when the games are on the Sooner Sports Network as only the OK cable companies pick those up.

StoopTroup
7/7/2009, 12:07 PM
If you can get all the OU games as an Austin resident...that might be why there are so many Sooners living there. They can make a decent living and still see great football.

Scott D
7/7/2009, 02:18 PM

Just remember, some of us aren't in Big-12 viewing country, so since we choose not to be bludgeoned to death with Big-Televen and MAC games, we must use the DirecTV to get our games.

Fraggle145
7/7/2009, 02:22 PM
****ing Cox Sucks ***. They still have the faster interwebs IMO. Which is why I stay with em, but they suck cox.

bluedogok
7/7/2009, 07:10 PM
****ing Cox Sucks ***. They still have the faster interwebs IMO. Which is why I stay with em, but they suck cox.
I have Directv and Time Warner for internet through Earthlink. I just can't see paying them for their TV service since they have a full time Whorn channel...and not having Sunday Ticket.

I switched to Directv when I lived in The Village and had Multimedia Cablevision, the service was horrible there after the tornado that hit the area, a slight breeze would knock the cable service out. The service was fine by them in Edmond where I was before. I am sure it has improved there since Cox took over the smaller burbs. When I got high-speed internet in OKC I had Sprint Broadband Direct fixed wireless, it was great but they didn't offer it in Austin so I went with the Earthlink Cable option.

sooner ngintunr
7/7/2009, 07:53 PM
For football? That hasn't happened to me when I lived in OKC or Austin and I have had Directv for 10 years. The only time it wasn't on was when there was no broadcast like Baylor a few years back. Every other game has been on and the few PPV games have been on there as well.

Now basketball, that is a different issue when the games are on the Sooner Sports Network as only the OK cable companies pick those up.

It was some game in 2007, I was pissed. Went over to my neighbors house who has cox and it was on. I know for a fact that it was broadcast and DTV had it blacked out. :confused:

bluedogok
7/7/2009, 08:07 PM
I think in 2007 the only game not on FTA or cable/sat was Utah State which was a PPV game, it shows up in the guide/listing but "blacked out" on the screen unless you bought it. I know, I bought it. I just have never heard of a college game being blacked out in a local area like pro sports.

From Matt Sarz FootballOnTV - 2007 (http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/football2007.html)

9/1 - North **Texas** - FSN
9/8 - Miami (FL) - ABC
9/15 - Utah State - FSN PPV
9/21 - Tulsa - ESPN2
9/29 - Colorado - FSN
10/6 - **Texas** - ABC
10/13 - Missouri - FSN
10/20 - Iowa State - FSN
11/3 - **Texas** A&M - ABC
11/10 - Baylor - FSN
11/17 - **Texas** Tech - ABC
11/24 - Oklahoma State - FSN
12/1 - Missouri - ABC
1/2 - West Virginia (Fiesta) - Fox

sooner ngintunr
7/7/2009, 08:29 PM
Def wasn't that game. If I were to remember a guess, it would be the aTm or Baylor game. I know it doesn't seem right, the lady at directv told me the reason it would be on cable and not on DTV because the cable company bought the rights and DTV didn't. I'm 100% sure it was blacked out, and not PPV.:confused:

I even told my neighbor and he didn't understand it either. Maybe someone from texas was messing with me!

bluedogok
7/7/2009, 08:41 PM
Well, when it comes to that type stuff customer service is worthless and they probably just gave you the "answer from the list" on a "blacked out" game. In others words, they didn't know. I went through a bunch of that with *Texas* Rangers games being blacked out and they had no clue, I finally got a response from the Rangers themselves.

A&M was an ABC free-to-air game at 7:00PM, it should have been on KTUL/8. It wouldn't have been blacked out on Directv or anywhere else by a cable company buy. Now it would have been blacked out on the ESPN Gameplan package forcing you to go to KTUL which you should have been able to pick up with Directv or an antenna. That is what got me on the Rangers broadcasts, supposedly there was a station in Marble Falls carrying 12 Rangers games a couple of seasons ago. The problem is that I am in South Austin and cannot pick up the Marble Falls station, so I was out of range...and luck.

Here was the coverage map.
http://assets.espn.go.com/espntv/topics/coveragemaps/11307abc8pm.jpg

bluedogok
7/7/2009, 08:44 PM
Well, when it comes to that type stuff customer service is worthless and they probably just gave you the "answer from the list" on a "blacked out" game. In others words, they didn't know. I went through a bunch of that with *Texas* Rangers games being blacked out and they had no clue, I finally got a response from the Rangers themselves.

Now it would have been blacked out on the ESPN Gameplan package forcing you to go to KTUL which you should have been able to pick up with Directv or an antenna. That is what got me on the Rangers broadcasts, supposedly there was a station in Marble Falls carrying 12 Rangers games a couple of seasons ago. The problem is that I am in South Austin and cannot pick up the Marble Falls station, so I was out of range...and luck.

A&M was an ABC free-to-air game at 7:00PM, it should have been on KTUL/8. It wouldn't have been blacked out on Directv or anywhere else by a cable company buy. Baylor was the evening FSN slot which they don't black anything out.

Here was the coverage map.
http://assets.espn.go.com/espntv/topics/coveragemaps/11307abc8pm.jpg

sooner ngintunr
7/7/2009, 09:06 PM
well it wasn't a night game, so that one wasn't it. whats up do you work for a cable company or what?:D

Part of me wishes i would have figured it out, because i'll admit, it didn't seem right to me that a Sooner football game was blacked out in Tulsa.

I switched to cox anyway, i like it. I'm kind of glad that i didn't have NFL ST last year anyway, being a Lions fan and all. ouch, that was 15 sundays I'm glad I didn't witness. Now I don't miss it at all, and that was the one reasons why I always had DTV (sunday ticket).

Scott D
7/7/2009, 09:11 PM
Any game that's carried on your local station or is at least scheduled to be carried locally is going to be blocked out on a national plan like Gameplan, Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, and whatever the baseball one is.

Now if your local station decides to cut to some other game in that slot, well...that's between you and your local network station.

stoopified
7/7/2009, 11:05 PM
Dont cry for me...I'll be back in 2 years when this contract runs up..Funny I am strongly considering switching from DISH to DIRECTV.You would think that the sat and cable companies would give established customers good deals to keep them. Sadly only new customers get the great deals,when the deal runs out it is time to hop.Until then I think service hopping will continue to be routine.

Fraggle145
7/7/2009, 11:30 PM
Every time my cable/internet even blinks or thinks about blinking I call up Cox abd dont stop talking until they send someone. Finally all of my **** works. And it has happened in every place I lived in Norman. Basically I have to keep calling until the replace all of the sockets cables and get rid of all the work that lazy guys did before them.