7/6/2009, 03:25 PM
might as well make it a pole* now hehe

CK Sooner
7/6/2009, 03:27 PM
Done.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 03:30 PM
Anyway.... my opinion on it under the Stoops days is

SuperRoy gave us a OUr 18th consecutive win... It was an Elite play... b/c you don't see that very much... well maybe you never see something like that....

T. Marshall on the other hand, picked 6 Farris.... who still to this day did not see Marshall standing in the middle..... Say we don't pick and bring it back....assume we stop the aggies on that drive, and we get the ball at OUr 30 with about 4-5 minutes left..........in a hostile Kyle field..... down by 3...

SuperRoy = best moment (2001)

T. Marshall = most important moment (2000)

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 03:34 PM
go ahead and embed both videos

TheUnnamedSooner
7/6/2009, 03:36 PM
I was fortunate enough to be at both games. Though I had bad seats for both. The Superman was more exciting.

boomermagic
7/6/2009, 03:53 PM
Roy, Because it was against texas..

RedstickSooner
7/6/2009, 03:58 PM
The question was "Which was more important".

So, frankly, I don't see how anyone can answer the Superman play. It was a better play -- but without that pick, Stoops has 0 national championships at OU.

Marshall's play was a program-changer for us. TRRW's play, on the other hand, was "merely" awesometacular beyond words.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/6/2009, 04:00 PM
Calmus with the vicious block in the back

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 04:06 PM
Calmus with the vicious block in the back

yep.. haha... he shouldn't have thrown a pick!!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
7/6/2009, 04:08 PM
I remember watching and saying We're gonna get the ball at about the 25 or so after they throw the flag, but they never did...

Boomer.....
7/6/2009, 04:08 PM
You need to clarify what the question is asking for.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 04:09 PM
I remember watching and saying We're gonna get the ball at about the 25 or so after they throw the flag, but they never did...

yep... the aggies still cry about it too

RedstickSooner
7/6/2009, 04:26 PM

Well, with so little time left in the game, you could probably make a case that it was better for them if we scored right away -- so they got the ball back.

Had we had possession, we could've run down the clock as well as score. The real question was why the hell they were throwing with the lead so late in the game.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 04:27 PM
The real question was why the hell they were throwing with the lead so late in the game.

come on now.......... cause they are AGGIES!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHH:D

RedstickSooner
7/6/2009, 04:29 PM
come on now.......... cause they are AGGIES!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHH:D

Good point. I sometimes forget :)

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 04:30 PM
R.C. was like "wtf"????????? then those bastards got us back the next time we were there.....:mad:

but then we broke their hearts in 04 and 06.... and beat the living $hit outta them last year.

MojoRisen
7/6/2009, 04:33 PM
Man that was tough, I was in the endzone for the Roy Williams Superman play and nothing was ever more exciting that that - with exception of watching the National Championship slip away to an A&M team that was playing it's arse off - T marshalls pick turned the whole tide of the game! Let alone returning it for a TD which was not a given in that game that we would have scored.

Greater of two Greatness- T Marshall pick

yermom
7/6/2009, 04:40 PM
the offense was so anaemic there at the end of the season, Mr. Marshall really almost had to score there, and we had no answer for Toombs.

Vasher gift-wrapped that play for Roy. it was certainly icing on an amazing day for that defense that still wasn't finished making plays after that.

but the season, and maybe the decade might not be the same if Mr. Marshall doesn't make that play. you just knew after that, nothing was going to stop this team

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 04:43 PM
Vasher gift-wrapped that play for Roy. it was certainly icing on an amazing day for that defense that still wasn't finished making plays after that.

can anyone find the video where Vasher screws it up??? Only time i saw it was live.

yermom
7/6/2009, 04:48 PM
JW? quick-kicks a punt because Duncan was having an off day and had already missed 2 FGs at least. Vasher is surprised or something and keeps the ball from going into the endzone. i can't remember if he caught it in the air, or what

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 04:54 PM
yah i remember... but does anyone have video of it.. anywhere?

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 05:00 PM
uhh, anyone who picks Super Roy is an idiot. it was a better play, but the Marshall pick-6 kept alive a championship season.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 05:03 PM
not sure why people have to be called idiots??? does anyone see the reason why?

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 05:05 PM
not sure why people have to be called idiots??? does anyone see the reason why?

because you'd have to be an idiot to think that Super Roy, while 100 percent awesome, was more important than a season-saving pick-6?

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 05:07 PM
because you'd have to be an idiot to think that Super Roy, while 100 percent awesome, was more important than a season-saving pick-6?

Way to win friends and Influence people :rolleyes:

so yer Callin these folks idiots because they Voted TRWs play ?

boomermagic, RegimentML, SoonerStormchaser, TheUnnamedSooner, TXBOOMER

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 05:07 PM

you guys are all idiots according to sideburns.......:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 05:08 PM

Great Minds and all that shat :D

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 05:09 PM
Way to win friends and Influence people :rolleyes:

so yer Callin these folks idiots because they Voted TRWs play ?

they're either idiots or they just innocently misunderstood what the question was.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 05:09 PM
lol, at the same minute... i guess it's time i tell everyone that, olevetonahill is also jlew1818

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 05:11 PM
they're either idiots or they just innocently misunderstood what the question was.

Coulda said that in the 1st place and saved the name calling , Dont you think ?

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 05:15 PM
Coulda said that in the 1st place and saved the name calling , Dont you think ?

no, cause they're likely idiots

yermom
7/6/2009, 05:18 PM
yah i remember... but does anyone have video of it.. anywhere?

it seems like there was an LASooner video that had highlights for just that game with JW rolling out to hit Clayton and Woolfolk blocking a FG, etc... but i can't seem to find it

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 05:24 PM
no, cause they're likely idiots

Did yer dog eat yer homework from this course ?
http://gameunderrepair.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/carnegie1.jpg

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 05:27 PM
lol

goingoneight
7/6/2009, 05:48 PM
yep... the aggies still cry about it too

Orange aggies cry more about it than maroon aggies do.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 05:52 PM
true

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 06:37 PM
Orange aggies cry more about it than maroon aggies do.

aggies just cry period.

CincySooner
7/7/2009, 07:36 AM
Torrance Marshall 2000 hands down... It's the only time I've ever hugged another man and jumped up and down in each others arms. Not even a little bit ashamed of it either.

badger
7/7/2009, 08:29 AM
People who disagree with me are idiots

I voted for beloved Roy, so I guess I'm an idiot. My first season on campus was 2001, so I probably only voted for it because that play was more important to me personally. Those closing minutes were just so nerve wracking for Sooner fans in Dallas, because we only had a 7-3 lead, Texas favored (like 63-14 the year before, heh) and they had the ball, who cares if it was their own endzone?

I'm sure College Station was crazy for Sooner fans attending there... but I wasn't, so I remember Superman Roy as just simply phenomenal. That play by Torrence, even though he would go onto play for my beloved Packers, was just hearsay to me.

MI Sooner
7/7/2009, 11:01 AM
Was at the SuperRoy game, but I almost think it was aTm game, but watching it on TV in my Norman apartment. I hadn't heard a peep all day from anyone else's place, and all of a sudden, Marshall gets his pick-6, and EVERY apartment erupted with cheers. People kept it up for minutes, then went on their patios/balconies started yelling BOOMER SOONER...

It was the most spontaneous celebration I've ever seen, and I still get cold chills thinking about it.

EstablishedSooner1967
7/7/2009, 11:19 AM
To be honest the Marshall meant more to me at the time because that loss would have cost us the NC.... The Roy was very cool and exciting but the shorthorns would have had to go 99 yards to win in 2 min.... I liked our chances to hold that day.

Sooner04
7/7/2009, 11:26 AM
I was at both games.

Roy's play was just a play that sealed a win in a season where we failed to win a division or conference championship. T-Love's pick helped keep the dream alive.

Roy's play was incredible to witness in person. I've never heard the south end of the Cotton Bowl louder than I did in the aftermath of that score but, c'mon, it's T-Love. That game was wild, and the pick-6 was one of the cherries on top.

Spray
7/7/2009, 11:33 AM
Here's another perspective:

To the average non-OU college football fan which play do you think they most likely remember? My money is Superman.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2009, 11:39 AM
Here's another perspective:

To the average non-OU college football fan which play do you think they most likely remember? My money is Superman.

While true, the question of most "important" is an easy answer. Without Marshall's play, OU most likely does not win the NC. Stoops says OU is all about championships, and he's right.

yermom
7/7/2009, 12:19 PM
"best play" and "most important play" aren't the same thing

the poll was "most important" :D

StoopTroup
7/7/2009, 12:19 PM
I was at both games.

Marshall's play had more of an impact but there is no denying just what a great play Roy made.

I'll never forget the greatness of both Marshall and Roy.

It's as great to be a Sooner today as it was then....

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

Spray
7/7/2009, 12:57 PM
Which is why I led off with "here's another perspective".

Tough crowd.

badger
7/7/2009, 01:12 PM
Tough crowd.

It's offseason! Just be glad we haven't found away to pelt virtual oranges at you! ;)

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2009, 03:25 PM
Which is why I led off with "here's another perspective".

Tough crowd.

:les: START YER OWN DAMN THREAD!!!!11!!1!!

;)

MiccoMacey
7/7/2009, 03:51 PM
He turned his back to Calmus...it was a legal block.

RedstickSooner
7/7/2009, 04:26 PM
This poll would've been more fun if it'd been worded to ask which was the best play, without any qualification. Then we could argue back and forth about whether to choose based on which was cooler to watch, or choose based on actual importance.

sooner518
7/7/2009, 05:09 PM
Torrance Marshall 2000 hands down... It's the only time I've ever hugged another man and jumped up and down in each others arms. Not even a little bit ashamed of it either.

i dont remember if I did this at the Marshall play, but I know that one other time I did that was when Marcus Walker picked off Zabranskie and ran it into the endzone........:mad: :mad: :mad:

Scott D
7/7/2009, 05:46 PM

well we know one of them has been identified as an idiot on more than one occasion ;)

GKeeper316
7/7/2009, 06:24 PM
marshall's pick in the a&m game was the single most important play in the stoops era.

that isnt taking anything away from superman... i went ape**** when he knocked the ball lose from crissy sims and it dropped into lehman's hands for an easy td, but if torrence marshall hadnt picked that pass, no national championship in 2000.

DallasSooner87
7/7/2009, 06:25 PM
i dont remember if I did this at the Marshall play, but I know that one other time I did that was when Marcus Walker picked off Zabranskie and ran it into the endzone........:mad: :mad: :mad:

That 4th quarter and overtime was such an emotional roller coaster...from :confused: to :eek: to :D and :mad: then :( and finally wall punch.

Hella Sideburns
7/7/2009, 07:21 PM
marshall's pick in the a&m game was the single most important play in the stoops era.

that isnt taking anything away from superman... i went ape**** when he knocked the ball lose from crissy sims and it dropped into lehman's hands for an easy td, but if torrence marshall hadnt picked that pass, no national championship in 2000.

My feelings exactly.

SuperRoy was the better play, in a vacuum, but Marshall's pick-6 meant so much more.

You know where I watched the 2001 OU-Texas game? In automotives at wal-mart, where I worked at the time. Couldn't get off work, so I just hid out in there the entire time.

MojoRisen
7/8/2009, 09:38 AM
OK put the videos together, if it was just the pick vs the SuperMan - sure

what about TM' s return??? T Marshall's play could be better and more important. Also we were kind of loosing that game... Battle but loosing

TheUnnamedSooner
7/8/2009, 12:33 PM

Someone stated this in another thread that swayed my vote:

That came with over 7 minutes to go in the game. Our offense had just completed a 12-15 play TD drive, so they were doing well at the time as well. TMarsh's play certainly made it easier, but it's very arguable that they could've come back without it.

Dr. Jelly Finger
7/8/2009, 01:09 PM
I may be the only one that remembers, but after TRRW made that play, we kicked off and #38 made a solo tackle on the return man from Texas. I believe the very next play from scrimmage he picked off a pass from Crystal Simms and the rest is history.

Superman / Solo Tackle on ST / Oskie against our biggest rival to seal the game. Not a bad stretch of plays for a 2 star from California.

Roy was one of the best college football players I have ever seen.

SoonerSoph
7/9/2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe I'm a stickler for the vernacular, but with the question asking which play had the greater importance... it must be T. Marsh over SuperRoy. This almost pains me to say because I have an autographed photo of the SuperRoy play in my room.

MojoRisen
7/9/2009, 01:51 PM
I hear the echo's ROY WIlliams on the tackle...

the_edge
7/9/2009, 07:49 PM
I think we win that game at A&M even if Marshall drops the pass.

It was like 3rd and 14, and OU had scored TDs on the previous two or three possessions.

OU would have had plenty of time to score and in the meantime run down the clock so A&M wouldn't have had that last shot at the endzone they ended up with.

Obviously, Marshall running that interception back was a sure six points, but I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that OU would have lost that game if A&M had punted on the next play.

That said, there is no chance in hell *Texas* was going 97 yards to win the RRS in 2001. :)

85sooners
7/2/2010, 11:22 PM
booooooooooomer!!!!!!!!!!!

JLEW1818
7/2/2010, 11:35 PM
SOOOOOOONER!

oudavid1
7/3/2010, 02:08 AM
Did yer dog eat yer homework from this course ?
http://gameunderrepair.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/carnegie1.jpg

totally read this book.

I once said someone asked a stupid question and got a "card" so watch out (Sarcasm)

but seriously gentlemen and badger, lets all keep it kind

and championship over beating texas, because we beat texas in championships

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 02:36 AM
I think we win that game at A&M even if Marshall drops the pass.

It was like 3rd and 14, and OU had scored TDs on the previous two or three possessions.

OU would have had plenty of time to score and in the meantime run down the clock so A&M wouldn't have had that last shot at the endzone they ended up with.

Obviously, Marshall running that interception back was a sure six points, but I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that OU would have lost that game if A&M had punted on the next play.

That said, there is no chance in hell *Texas* was going 97 yards to win the RRS in 2001. :)

I got votes on the intentional safety in the 2001 Orange Bowl. Great, thoughtful, smart play. That play signified the difference between Stoops coaching and Blake coaching.

freshchris05
7/3/2010, 12:50 PM
The T. Marshall pick was the most important for sure, but I voted for the Superman play for personal reasons.

Right before the game I was at a funeral for my niece. She was born premature and died from complications. It was a sad day, and when we got back to my sisters place the game was already started. We all sat down to watch it at about the same time as some dumb whorn fields the punt well inside the redzone. Although it was a close game no one was really into it until that play. That play was ridiculous. We all jumped up cheering, Never seen anything like it.

God bless Roy Williams

freshchris05
7/3/2010, 12:56 PM
The only time I've ever missed the majority of an OU TX game

SoonerShark
7/3/2010, 03:39 PM
We limped to the end of 2000 as Josh's arm was merely a shadow of its earlier 2000 season and 1999 form. The 2000 A&M play changed history.

TXBOOMER
7/3/2010, 05:33 PM
More important? No brainer just like a few other huge plays that year that decided games. Best play......RW! I can zombie out and watch that play over and over. F Texass!

sooneron
7/4/2010, 12:31 AM
I voted for T Marsh. I was at the CB when Roy made "the play", but The oskie return was more important.
and Farriss had already overrun the play when Rocky hit him (albeit barely) in the back.

oumartin
7/4/2010, 06:37 AM
Hmm, what about the Derick Strait INT return against NU in 2000 or the Wolfork crazy reception in the very same game? Two plays that definately turned and kept momentum and allowed a team down 14-0 to come back and roll the Cornhuskers.

Obviously I think the Marshall pick was the most important but there were some totally great memories from that season. Individual plays tht will stand out forever in our minds.

PLaw
7/4/2010, 07:47 AM
Mussburger after Super Roy play: "Do these guys ever lose a big game?"

How I long to hear those words again.

BOOMEr

TXBOOMER
7/4/2010, 12:39 PM
Mussburger after Super Roy play: "Do these guys ever lose a big game?"

How I long to hear those words again.

BOOMEr

Me too! I would rather hear them from someone other than hornsucker though.

josh09
7/6/2010, 11:53 AM
These plays are two very different types, IMO. Superman was a play that will go down as one of the best plays in OU football and Red River Rivalry history, whereas The Pick was, also IMO, the key play that sent OU to a national championship, when it looked like we were for sure going to be upset. So if you're asking what the more IMPORTANT play is, it's definitely The Pick, but a more memorable or historic play would have to be given to Superman.