PDA

View Full Version : Rest In Peace (Jack Mitchell).

MyT Oklahoma
7/6/2009, 03:19 PM
LAWRENCE -- Former Kansas football coach Jack Mitchell, who went 44-42-5 in nine seasons in Lawrence, has died in Arizona.

He was 85.

John Hadl, the KU great who Mitchell recruited to Kansas, remembers a character.

"He was so full of baloney you just loved it," Hadl said. "You knew he was lying, but you loved it anyway."

Mitchell recruited Hadl away from Oklahoma, where Mitchell himself, an Arkansas City native, had been an All-American quarterback. He served in World War II, then worked his way though the coaching ranks, becoming a head coach for the first time at Wichita State in 1953.

His first year at Kansas, where he had just three losing seasons in nine years, was 1958. He led KU to its first bowl win, a 1961 Bluebonnet Bowl victory over Rice.

Mitchell coached four of the 12 first-team All-Americans in KU history -- John Hadl, Gale Sayers, Bobby Douglass and John Zook.

"He was a dandy," Hadl said.

http://www.cjonline.com/sports/2009-07-06/former_ku_coach_mitchell_dies

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 06:38 PM
RIP

CK Sooner
7/6/2009, 06:40 PM
RIP

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 06:41 PM
RIP

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 06:49 PM
i'm not R.I.P.ing anyone with a record that close to .500

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 06:52 PM

You're class knows no bounds :rolleyes:

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 06:54 PM
i'm just saying, someone call me when a good coach dies

i'm not going to like, break down in tears when sage rosenfels croaks, if you catch it

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 06:59 PM
wow

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:05 PM
i'm just saying, someone call me when a good coach dies

i'm not going to like, break down in tears when sage rosenfels croaks, if you catch it

Cool , Ill say an extra prayer for the Family to make up for yer Lack:rolleyes:

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 07:05 PM
god is dead

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:07 PM
^ Tiring :rolleyes:

Sooner04
7/6/2009, 07:18 PM
The guy was the first great QB of the Wilkinson era. He helped beat Texas in '48 and set off a party across this state that lasted for weeks.

So I'll say Rest In Peace, Mr. Mitchell.

And I'll also say that Hella Sideburns can go kiss my neighbor's bunions.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:21 PM
The guy was the first great QB of the Wilkinson era. He helped beat *Texas* in '48 and set off a party across this state that lasted for weeks.

So I'll say Rest In Peace, Mr. Mitchell.

And I'll also say that Hella Sideburns can go kiss my neighbor's bunions.

At least we agree on this :cool:

AlbqSooner
7/6/2009, 07:27 PM
god is dead

Sorry to hear about your god. My God is just fine thanks.
To say that you will not suggest that someone who has not exceeded your expectations in their chosen profession may rest in peace is one of the most unbelievably self-centered, narcissitic comments I have heard. Despite your self-centered myopia, if I am aware of your death when it occurs, I will indeed ask that you rest in peace.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your god. My God is just fine thanks.
To say that you will not suggest that someone who has not exceeded your expectations in their chosen profession may rest in peace is one of the most unbelievably self-centered, narcissitic comments I have heard. Despite your self-centered myopia, if I am aware of your death when it occurs, I will indeed ask that you rest in peace.

Agreed :pop:

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 07:33 PM
oh damn, i didn't realize he played at OU, just thought he was some scrub KU coach. I'd say "enjoy heaven" but I doubt it exists. Instead, I hope his family is doing alright. enjoy peace.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:38 PM
oh damn, i didn't realize he played at OU, just thought he was some scrub KU coach. I'd say "enjoy heaven" but I doubt it exists. Instead, I hope his family is doing alright. enjoy peace, nigga.

Pure Class :rolleyes:

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 07:38 PM
i'm black, it's cool.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:39 PM
i'm black, it's cool.

Ya right :rolleyes:

ndpruitt03
7/6/2009, 07:41 PM

How about his OU record? 18-3

CK Sooner
7/6/2009, 07:46 PM
Mods, Please ban Hella Sideburns.

Thank You,

-The Board.

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 07:51 PM
Jack Mitchell, QB - 1948

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/m-footbl/archive/all-americans/jack-mitchell-1948.jpg

Jack Mitchell became OU's first quarterback to earn All-America honors in 1948. What he may be remembered for more is his association with the beginning of the option.

During the 1948 OU-*Texas* game, every time Mitchell carried the ball he was supposed to keep it. After being tackled several times, he decided to pitch it to the halfback instead of being hit. Bud Wilkinson, the Sooners' head coach who had been the backfield coach before his promotion, immediately realized how effective this play could be.

Originally making the team as a halfback, Mitchell ran Wilkinson's Split-T offense to perfection. Mitchell was a two-time all-conference selection and still holds the Division I-A record for punt returns: highest average gain per return for a career (min. 1.2 per game) at 23.6 yards from 1946-48 (39 for 922).

Mitchell capped off his career at OU by being named MVP of the Sooners' 14-6 win over North Carolina in the 1949 Sugar Bowl.

tommieharris91
7/6/2009, 07:51 PM
Mods, Please ban Hella Sideburns.

Thank You,

-The Board.

This.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:53 PM
Great post 28 spek

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 07:54 PM
guys, let's please keep this thread on topic, ok. this is not about me, this is about the passing of a sooner legend.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:56 PM
guys, let's please keep this thread on topic, ok. this is not about me, this is about the passing of a sooner legend.

You are one Mocking, condescending Piece of work :pop:

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 07:56 PM
None of these threads ever stay on topic.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 07:57 PM
None of these threads ever stay on topic.

Especially with a dickfor in em ;)

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 07:59 PM
This page comes in handy.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-all-americans.html

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 07:59 PM
once again guys, i have to insist that we keep this about Mitchell, not about me, thanks for your cooperation

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 08:00 PM

Heres ya a new one. I think you've worn out yer old one :rolleyes:
http://hiscocksblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/shovel.jpg

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 08:03 PM
oh damn, i didn't realize he played at OU, just thought he was some scrub KU coach. I'd say "enjoy heaven" but I doubt it exists. Instead, I hope his family is doing alright. enjoy peace, nigga.

i'm black, it's cool.

so this isn't about You making it about YOU?:pop:

Hella Sideburns
7/6/2009, 08:05 PM
oleman, please keep this on topic, this is your last warning

for real, this guy was a legend, let's not let his thread end like this.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 08:10 PM

:pop: :rolleyes:

CK Sooner
7/6/2009, 08:10 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/Msdos4/Funny/banhim8nj.jpg

AlbqSooner
7/6/2009, 08:12 PM
i'm black, it's cool.

Do you have a carpet cleaning business in Dallas?

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 08:21 PM
Do you have a carpet cleaning business in Dallas?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Jay C. Upchurch
7/6/2009, 08:38 PM
Jack Mitchell was voted No. 44 in the 100 greatest OU players of all time

Long before speed-burners like Bob Hayes, Rick Upchurch, Eric Metcalf and Desmond Howard transformed punt returning into a track meet, a kid by the name of Jack Mitchell did it the old fashioned way. He earned every yard.

“General Jack,” as he was called by teammates, was one of the finest return men of his day. He played at Oklahoma from 1946-48, starting at quarterback two seasons and establishing several offensive records.

There was no mystery to Mitchell’s talents at quarterback. The Arkansas City, Kan., native was a natural fit for the Sooners’ Split-T attack and developed into one of the best optioneers in the country.

It was Mitchell’s adeptness on special teams that prompted a few puzzled looks.

“He was the slowest most effective runner I ever saw,” said All-American lineman Stan West. “Hell, Jack couldn’t outrun me or anyone else on the team.”

Yet there he was returning punts like the invisible man. More like untouchable. He returned punts seven times for touchdowns and had an eighth nullified by penalty. That mark stood as the NCAA record for 55 years until Texas Tech’s Wes Welker broke it in 2003.

“Jack just knew how to make people miss. It’s hard to explain because he was so slow, but he was very successful,” added teammate Norman McNabb.

Oklahoma’s Antonio Perkins has since tied Welker with eight TD returns, but Mitchell still owns the NCAA mark for punt return average in a single game at 23.6 yards per return.

“Faster guys rely on their speed, but I had to start as soon as (the ball) was kicked,” Mitchell once said. “For those days, I was just naturally a good runner and a good center fielder. The minute the guy’s foot hit the ball, I could tell which way to run after it, so I got a good jump on the ball.

He obviously knew what to do when he caught it, as well.

During his two seasons as starting quarterback (1947-48), Mitchell produced a record of 17-3-1. The Sooners went 10-1 his senior season, their only loss coming against Santa Clara in the opening game.

Mitchell was voted 1949 Sugar Bowl MVP after OU beat North Carolina 14-6, but his brightest moment may have come two months earlier when he helped rally the Sooners to a huge win over Missouri. In that game, Wilkinson’s charges broke open a 7-7 halftime tie by scoring four third-quarter touchdowns.

It was a 34-yard run by Mitchell that snapped the tie and he added another TD via 74-yard punt return. The 41-7 victory over the favored Tigers unfolded in front of 38,500 Memorial Stadium fans, the largest crowd to witness a football game in Oklahoma, at that time.

“There were a lot of great moments at Oklahoma, but I probably treasured that MVP award from the Sugar Bowl as much as anything I did,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell was drafted by the Green Bay Packers, but a severely separated shoulder effectively ended his pro career before it ever began. He returned to Oklahoma where he coached high school football at Blackwell for one season, before going on to coach at Tulsa, Texas Tech, Wichita State, Arkansas and Kansas.

These days, the 81-year-old Mitchell lives in Sun City, Ariz.

Collier11
7/6/2009, 09:14 PM
To say you wont wish anyone Sooner Legend or not who is a good person to RIP shows your character Hella. You arent even a good troll cus atleast a good troll gets people riled up, you just say stupid sh*t and make yourself look like an arrogant idiot

Crucifax Autumn
7/6/2009, 09:29 PM
RIP...Best wishes to all his family and honor to his memory.

CrimsonJim
7/6/2009, 09:36 PM
RIP to a Sooner legend and a hell of a football coach. Anybody that could post that kind of record at KU was doing something!

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2009, 09:55 PM
RIP to a Sooner legend and a hell of a football coach. Anybody that could post that kind of record at KU was doing something!This^^^^

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2009, 09:56 PM
Hella......your a ****'n dip ****.

stoopified
7/6/2009, 10:47 PM
Before coaching in college Mitchell coached at Blackwell High School.My Dad was a sophomare at BHS at the time.RIP Jack. BTW the carrer punt return TD record Antonio Perkins broke had been held by Jack.

picasso
7/6/2009, 11:09 PM
Before coaching in college Mitchell coached at Blackwell High School.My Dad was a sophomare at BHS at the time.RIP Jack. BTW the carrer punt return TD record Antonio Perkins broke had been held by Jack.

Very cool! Blackwell takes me waaaaay back to my junior high days!

JLEW1818
7/7/2009, 12:54 AM
RIP.....

God please forgive the SoonerFan people in charge who don't give a crap about Sooner Legends... and let people talk bad about them

olevetonahill
7/7/2009, 02:34 AM

By you still being here , you are Proof positive that the our current Mods succs :rolleyes: :pop:

Crucifax Autumn
7/7/2009, 02:58 AM
Don't whine about the mods! lmao

olevetonahill
7/7/2009, 03:00 AM
Don't whine about the mods! lmao

I aint . I just Know that we need some fresh Blood
Our Mods are Great but they have moved on to bigger and better !:pop:

beer4me
7/7/2009, 09:40 AM
olevetonahill

سان جواكين عاجلا الكلب يأكل الخراء