PDA

View Full Version : Rifle ******-*******'s

royalfan5
7/5/2009, 09:15 PM
So I am kicking around the idea of buying a new gun. I'm considering some sort of a varmit rifle. My early lean is towards a .243. But I don't know yet. What would you folks recommend for a recreational rifle? I'm more than likely not going to be doing any hunting with it, but it may at some point use it to kill varmits, if needed.

AggieTool
7/5/2009, 09:19 PM
So I am kicking around the idea of buying a new gun. I'm considering some sort of a varmit rifle. My early lean is towards a .243. But I don't know yet. What would you folks recommend for a recreational rifle? I'm more than likely not going to be doing any hunting with it, but it may at some point use it to kill varmits, if needed.

First question...

Bolt or Auto?

olevetonahill
7/5/2009, 09:21 PM

If yer just gonna be out Plinkin get a Good 22.
If ya gonna be doing any distance type then the 243 is a good one .
The 22 rounds are Cheap and Plentiful the others Not so much

royalfan5
7/5/2009, 09:22 PM
First question...

Bolt or Auto?

Probably bolt.

royalfan5
7/5/2009, 09:24 PM
If yer just gonna be out Plinkin get a Good 22.
If ya gonna be doing any distance type then the 243 is a good one .
The 22 rounds are Cheap and Plentiful the others Not so much
I'll probably do some distance shooting as my Uncle is involved in a new shooting club out at the old Grand Island ordinance plant, and that seems like a good excuse to go out and visit.

CK Sooner
7/5/2009, 09:26 PM
Here you go.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FASubType?type=Rifle&subtype=Bolt%20Action

olevetonahill
7/5/2009, 09:27 PM
Cant give ya Much advise based on that
basically what will be the main use of said rifle ?
Long distance Targets ?
1st Rofle ? that sorta thing .

royalfan5
7/5/2009, 09:30 PM
Cant give ya Much advise based on that
basically what will be the main use of said rifle ?
Long distance Targets ?
1st Rofle ? that sorta thing .

First rifle of my own anyway. I figure I'll use it mostly to go shoot targets when I need to relax. Of varying distances I guess. I think mostly what I'm looking for is if there is something specific to avoid.

olevetonahill
7/5/2009, 09:53 PM
Then the 243 should be good for ya. get a decent scope.

SoonerBorn68
7/5/2009, 10:46 PM
Remington 22-250. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22-250_Remington

Curly Bill
7/5/2009, 10:58 PM
If you're gonna just shoot varmints and not do any hunting the .243 is more rifle than you need. I'd go with a .223

..though like SB 68 said a 22-250 would be sweet as well.

Crucifax Autumn
7/5/2009, 11:10 PM
2 words: Gatlin Gun

CrimsonJim
7/5/2009, 11:37 PM
And the thread jacking begins....

IBleedCrimson
7/6/2009, 12:33 AM
I'll probably do some distance shooting as my Uncle is involved in a new shooting club out at the old Grand Island ordinance plant, and that seems like a good excuse to go out and visit.

that uncle wouldnt be steve paustian by any chance would it?

royalfan5
7/6/2009, 06:48 AM
that uncle wouldnt be steve paustian by any chance would it?

nope.

walkoffsooner
7/6/2009, 07:26 AM
I know some guys that get a kick out target and hog killing shooting 1000 yards. I think its around 4000 bucks to get started for scope rifle and reloader. Not sure on caliber but can find out for ya

Tulsa_Fireman
7/6/2009, 12:50 PM
I have a friend that shoots a 17HMR and absolutely LOVES it. Good range, deadly accurate, and light as hell.

He uses it for exactly that. Varmints.

Boomer Mooner
7/6/2009, 01:51 PM
Agree with Tulsa Fireman. I think this is especially good for a new shooter because of the non-existent recoil. It has excellent accuracy and could be used to shoot small varmints out to about 200 yards. At 150 yards it delivers pretty close to the same energy as a .22lr at the muzzle. Still, with the small size of the bullet it may be hard to consistently get clean kills on coyotes over 100 yards; shot placement would be absolutely paramount regardless of distance for coyotes.

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 06:11 PM
There's no way I'd use a 17HMR for coyotes.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 06:16 PM
There's no way I'd use a 17HMR for coyotes.

Agreed
For what hes wanting and to be able to Hunt Deer and Or antelope the 243 will work best for him
JMHO

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 06:20 PM
Agreed
For what hes wanting and to be able to Hunt Deer and Or antelope the 243 will work best for him
JMHO

For coyotes the .243 would be ideal.

Where I going to hunt deer and or antelope I'd upgrade to a .270, though the .243 would be acceptable.

A .25-06 or a .260 would be suitable for all three: coyotes, deer, antelope.

royalfan5
7/6/2009, 06:22 PM
I'm going to hit the local sporting goods megastore in the next couple of days. I'll look at what they have and report back.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 06:25 PM
I'm going to hit the local sporting goods megastore in the next couple of days. I'll look at what they have and report back.

Check Craigs list before ya buy . My Son Bot a Brand new Looking Ruger 10/22 fer 200 bucks . they sell new fer around 350

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 06:26 PM
For a very good and reasonably priced bolt action rifle, guaranteed to put 3 shots into 1" at 100 yards, look at a Tikka T3 Hunter.

After considerable research I went with the Tikka over Winchester, Remington, Browning, etc...when I bought my last rifle.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 06:26 PM
bout to buy my CHL before too late

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 06:28 PM
bout to buy my CHL before too late

atta boy

royalfan5
7/6/2009, 06:29 PM
Check Craigs list before ya buy . My Son Bot a Brand new Looking Ruger 10/22 fer 200 bucks . they sell new fer around 350
I'll do that. I figure I probably won't buy it until my August paycheck, so I have time. I should talk to my cousin's husband who is a custom gunsmith as well I suppose.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 06:30 PM
I'll do that. I figure I probably won't buy it until my August paycheck, so I have time. I should talk to my cousin's husband who is a custom gunsmith as well I suppose.

There ya go, Its easier to tell some face to face exactly what ya want and gonna use it for,Plus if hes family he Might even Know where ya can get a Great deal
Good luck

soonerinabilene
7/6/2009, 06:31 PM
a 50 cal would be good. You could kill varmints, deer, elephants, and spy satellites all from your back porch. Dont forget to put something in your ears, though.

soonerinabilene
7/6/2009, 06:33 PM
or drive to california and get a grenade launcher and chinese takeout on the same street.

SoonerBorn68
7/6/2009, 06:33 PM

With the economy in the tank I'll bet there are some deals to be had. I wouldn't buy one new if I could avoid it.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 06:35 PM
yep.. i'm bout to buy another at the pawn shop... they are desperate for money... sad but true...

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 06:38 PM
I meant to make a pawn shop run this morning, but alas I slept right through the morning.

Boomer Mooner
7/6/2009, 08:11 PM
For coyotes the .243 would be ideal.

Where I going to hunt deer and or antelope I'd upgrade to a .270, though the .243 would be acceptable.

A .25-06 or a .260 would be suitable for all three: coyotes, deer, antelope.

I never saw him say anything about deer or antelope. For either one I would start at .243. I've passed on deer when all I had was a .223, and frankly that's one of the reasons I replaced my AR-15 for an AR-10.

What he did say he wanted to shoot was varmints, and I consider the coyote about the biggest varmint out there. I've killed a buttload of them with a 22 long rifle so I reckon the .17 HMR shouldn't have any trouble.

I could be wrong, and I'll admit I have never killed a coyote with a .17 HMR, so there is your disclaimer. I'll even add the .17 bullet size leaves a lot to be desired. However, my boy and I did killed 6 or 8 racoons over a weekend last summer with a .17 HMR including a couple shots in the 120 yard range. I will guarantee you a head shot coyote at that distance will go nowhere but down.

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 08:16 PM
Not saying a 17HMR or even a .22LR won't kill a coyote, just sayin it wouldn't be the ideal round for it.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 08:20 PM
I never saw him say anything about deer or antelope. For either one I would start at .243. I've passed on deer when all I had was a .223, and frankly that's one of the reasons I replaced my AR-15 for an AR-10.

What he did say he wanted to shoot was varmints, and I consider the coyote about the biggest varmint out there. I've killed a buttload of them with a 22 long rifle so I reckon the .17 HMR shouldn't have any trouble.

I could be wrong, and I'll admit I have never killed a coyote with a .17 HMR, so there is your disclaimer. I'll even add the .17 bullet size leaves a lot to be desired. However, my boy and I did killed 6 or 8 racoons over a weekend last summer with a .17 HMR including a couple shots in the 120 yard range. I will guarantee you a head shot coyote at that distance will go nowhere but down.

He dint bro , But Living there If he just wants ONE all around rifle that will work, for plinkin , varmints or deer If he wants to hunt .
the 243 is his his best option
again JMHO

sooner ngintunr
7/6/2009, 08:58 PM
IMO, 243 is big for varmints, I think 220 swift is the best varmint, followed by 22-250, then .223.

I love my ranch rifle, fun as heck to shoot.

You said bolt action though, I would go Remington, here, http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_varmint_sf.asp

Your rifle is only as good as your glass, here is the best, http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-7-riflescopes/vx-7l-3-5-14x56mm-long-range/

Boomer Mooner
7/6/2009, 09:09 PM
I hear where your both coming from. And yeah, if your even considering a rifle that you might hunt deer with the .17 WMR probably isn't even legal, and it shouldn't be. My favorite round (today, lol) is the .308.

My reasoning for recommending the .17 is he said it was his first rifle, and he was mainly using it for the target range and for varmints if need be. Once I heard it was his first gun, I started leaning toward something that doesn't cost too much to shoot, cause you need to shoot it a lot to get any good, something without any recoil so you learn to shoot well before you get a rifle that might make you flinch, but also something that could handle varmints.

I started my boy too soon with a 7mm-08 which uses the same case as the .243 and the .308. Available bullet weights overlap for the .243 and the 7mm-08 and I went with the lighter ones for my boys gun. The recoil wasn't much to me, but for a novice shooter it can definitely make you flinch. His accuracy went down the tubes until he got a grip on the recoil.

Looking back at my last post it may seem I had my panties in a wad, but I didn't. I'm just trying to explain why I made the recommendations I did. If he does get the .17 I think he will be a better marksman for it and really, shot placement is the name of the game. Besides that, by the time he's had a thousand rounds or so through the .17 he'll end up getting a centerfire too!:D

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 10:08 PM
I hear where your both coming from. And yeah, if your even considering a rifle that you might hunt deer with the .17 WMR probably isn't even legal, and it shouldn't be. My favorite round (today, lol) is the .308.

My reasoning for recommending the .17 is he said it was his first rifle, and he was mainly using it for the target range and for varmints if need be. Once I heard it was his first gun, I started leaning toward something that doesn't cost too much to shoot, cause you need to shoot it a lot to get any good, something without any recoil so you learn to shoot well before you get a rifle that might make you flinch, but also something that could handle varmints.

I started my boy too soon with a 7mm-08 which uses the same case as the .243 and the .308. Available bullet weights overlap for the .243 and the 7mm-08 and I went with the lighter ones for my boys gun. The recoil wasn't much to me, but for a novice shooter it can definitely make you flinch. His accuracy went down the tubes until he got a grip on the recoil.

Looking back at my last post it may seem I had my panties in a wad, but I didn't. I'm just trying to explain why I made the recommendations I did. If he does get the .17 I think he will be a better marksman for it and really, shot placement is the name of the game. Besides that, by the time he's had a thousand rounds or so through the .17 he'll end up getting a centerfire too!:D

You make some very good points, especially about starting out with something low recoil and relatively inexpensive to shoot. Nothing wrong with the ol .308 by the way. I'm a .270 guy myself, but I'd feel quite well equiped if I had a .308 instead.

olevetonahill
7/7/2009, 02:22 AM
**** if a GUY cant hold a 243 on target hes a ***** :texan:

Boomer Mooner
7/7/2009, 07:55 AM
Not all of us carry our balls around in a wheelbarrow Vet! Of course I do though.:D

Curly Bill
7/7/2009, 02:07 PM
Someone went gun shopping today. Alas I didn't buy anything, but I did find out I can get the Ruger Vaquero's I want for $540 each including tax. :D

Boomer Mooner
7/7/2009, 02:41 PM
Let me give you a hand hijacking this thread!

Do you shoot Cowboy competition? That's something I'd like to try next. All I need is a brace of revolvers, leather to put them in, a rifle and a shotgun!

Curly Bill
7/7/2009, 02:44 PM
I've never done it but I'd like to.

huskermark07
7/7/2009, 06:40 PM
If I was you I would get a Remington 700 BDL 25/06 and put a 4x12 scope on it. It will be good for varmits on up to elk. It is a fast and flat round:)

Boomer Mooner
7/7/2009, 09:13 PM
If I was you I would get a Remington 700 BDL 25/06 and put a 4x12 scope on it. It will be good for varmits on up to elk. It is a fast and flat round:)

It is all that. My dad was lucky enough to draw for the Ft. Sill elk hunt in 1970 (give or take a year), and killed a cow elk with a 25-06.

My Uncle is the best shot with a rifle I have ever known. When I was a kid I watched him kill two Canadian geese on the ground with one shot (no big deal) and then kill TWO MORE on the fly with two other shots. (Not legal I know, so sue me for telling the story). Several years later I saw him shoot another goose on about the tenth wing beat off the ground. He was a phenomenal marksman and he swears by the 25-06. I think his favorite rifle to shoot now though is a tricked out Savage .17 HMR with a thumbhole stock and the accu-trigger.

Curly Bill
7/7/2009, 11:37 PM
While a .25-06 will no doubt kill elk (hell, so would a .22 if you hit it perfectly), anyone who would recommend it for the job should give up their hunting license.

I'm sorry, any gun suitable for varmints is just not going to be suitable for killing an animal as hearty as an elk. Yes it will kill elk, but there are much better tools for the job.

The .25-06 is a round highly suitable to killing whitetail and mule deer, antelope, and larger varmints if one wants to consider coyotes as such.

Another apology for my somewhat heavy-handed speech here. It just amuses me that peeps will pick out their pet rifle/round and ascribe it with the ability to kill everything from field mice to elephants. (not necessarily saying anyone in this thread has done this)

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 12:03 AM
Heh...I'm still riled up from about a month ago after hearing a know-nothing idjit working the handguns counter in a sporting goods store tell an older man that was looking at hanguns that a .45 was what he needed, that a .45 was so powerful that just shooting someone in the thumb with a .45 would knock them down and incapacitate them. :mad:

SoonerBorn68
7/8/2009, 10:27 AM
As far as a varmit rifle goes any .22ish soft tipped/big honkin' cartridge should work. I'm wanting to kill the varmit, not eat it, so it doesn't matter if the bullet mushrooms, cavitates, and shreds flesh. I just want the animal dead.

if I'm hunting an animal I want the bullet to kill but not severely cavitate the body, maybe a .243 to 30-06, depending on the size of the prey.

It's just me but I'd rather use meat tenderizer than a bullet. :D

Boomer Mooner
7/8/2009, 11:23 AM
While a .25-06 will no doubt kill elk (hell, so would a .22 if you hit it perfectly), anyone who would recommend it for the job should give up their hunting license.

I'm sorry, any gun suitable for varmints is just not going to be suitable for killing an animal as hearty as an elk. Yes it will kill elk, but there are much better tools for the job.

The .25-06 is a round highly suitable to killing whitetail and mule deer, antelope, and larger varmints if one wants to consider coyotes as such.

Another apology for my somewhat heavy-handed speech here. It just amuses me that peeps will pick out their pet rifle/round and ascribe it with the ability to kill everything from field mice to elephants. (not necessarily saying anyone in this thread has done this)

No apologies needed. In fact I even agree with you about the 25-06 not being a good choice for elk. My dad used it at the time because it was what he had access to. I grew up thinking it was suitable for elk mostly because my ol' man killed an elk with one when I was a kid. You are correct though, even with the heaviest bullets you can find for the 25-06 it is far short of ideal for elk.

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:34 AM
Yup, the .25-06 is a really good round, but much like my favorite .270 it is most suitable for medium-sized game. Either can, and have killed elk before, but they're not ideal for it. For that matter the ol .30-30 has killed it's share of elk, but I sure wouldn't choose one if I were going on an elk hunt.

My dad had a couple of .30-30's and .30-06's that he always used, and he always talked about getting a .25-06, but he never did.

royalfan5
7/8/2009, 08:11 PM
So I poked around the store a little bit today. Saw some stuff that looked interesting. Do any of y'all have an opinion on Howa, Savage, and Marlin rifles? They had some good markdowns on those.

Boomer Mooner
7/8/2009, 08:58 PM
Don't know much about Howa, don't personally care for Marlins, but Savage makes a good, no frills, accurate rifle. Savages aren't pretty in my opinion, but they are shooters. Use the money you save and put it into a good scope and you should be very pleased.

sooner ngintunr
7/8/2009, 10:06 PM
Don't know much about Howa, don't personally care for Marlins, but Savage makes a good, no frills, accurate rifle. Savages aren't pretty in my opinion, but they are shooters. Use the money you save and put it into a good scope and you should be very pleased.

2nd. Savage are great shooters.

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:26 PM
The new Marlin XL7 rifles have gotten some good reviews, though I don't have any personal experience with them. They have of course long made quality lever-action rifles.

I'm with the other guys on Savage's in that they're not going to be the prettiest rifles around, but they're good shooters, and especially so for the price.

Curly Bill
7/8/2009, 11:30 PM
I still say you owe it to yourself to look at the Tikka T3 line of rifles. For the money you won't get a better rifle. IMO

royalfan5
7/9/2009, 06:48 AM
I still say you owe it to yourself to look at the Tikka T3 line of rifles. For the money you won't get a better rifle. IMO

They had a bunch there. I'll look at them closer next time I'm in.

royalfan5
7/15/2009, 08:30 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but as a natural left-hander who as always shot right handed, is it worth getting a left hand model?

olevetonahill
7/15/2009, 08:41 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but as a natural left-hander who as always shot right handed, is it worth getting a left hand model?

No
Ya just go with what is Natural
I shoot left handed with a Rifle and Have nevar had a Prob, Other than gettin a Black eye in the service with the Full autos :eek:
The Only L handed gun I ever had was My trap gun

Rogue
7/15/2009, 08:55 PM
Yup, the .25-06 is a really good round, but much like my favorite .270 it is most suitable for medium-sized game. Either can, and have killed elk before, but they're not ideal for it. For that matter the ol .30-30 has killed it's share of elk, but I sure wouldn't choose one if I were going on an elk hunt.

Nothing wrong with a .270 for elk. An earlier point you made was that shot placement is key. I'm betting .270 and 30.06 are the most common elk rifles from Colorado to Idaho. At least they are the most common I know of.

olevetonahill
7/15/2009, 09:21 PM
Royal aint Lookin fer a Elk gun
hes lookin fer a Varmint/target/ small game weapon
Pay tention

Boomer Mooner
7/15/2009, 10:02 PM
They make conversion kits for the Ruger 10-22 mag to convert to 17 HMR. A bull bbl semi auto 17 HMR would be vermin/target/small game shootin'sumbitsch. Coyote's too, just to throw a half hitch in Curly Bill's panties.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/rsgibbs1/smiley_abused.gif