PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr. President, please listen to Colin Powell

Okla-homey
7/5/2009, 07:57 PM
TIA

Colin Powell worries Obama tackling too much

Jul 4, 10:59 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - Colin Powell worries that President Barack Obama is trying to tackle too many big issues at one time and he offers this advice: take a hard look at costs and consider the additional red tape that will be created.

"The right answer is, 'Give me a government that works,'" the former secretary of state said in a television interview to be aired Sunday. "Keep it as small as possible," added Powell, who said he has spoken recently with Obama and stays in touch with him. Powell, a Republican, endorsed Obama last year over the GOP presidential nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Obama wants to overhaul the health care system and take on climate change while also helping the country emerge from the recession.

"I think one of the cautions that has to be given to the president - and I've talked to some of his people about this - is that you can't have so many things on the table that you can't absorb it all. And we can't pay for it all," Powell said.

"And I never would have believed that we would have budgets that are running into the multi-trillions of dollars, and we are amassing a huge, huge national debt that, if we don't pay for in our lifetime, our kids and grandkids and great grandchildren will have to pay for it."

It's not a new theme for Powell

He complained about the government's size and intrusiveness in his 1996 speech to the Republican National Convention. He said then that the nation no longer could afford more entitlements, higher taxes and more bureaucracy. In the interview with CNN's "State of the Union" that is to air Sunday, Powell said he hasn't changed his mind.

"Keep it as small as possible. Keep the tax burden on the American people as small as possible, but at the same time, have government that is solving the problems of the people," he said.

He said Obama "has to start really taking a very, very hard look at what the cost of all this is. And, how much additional bureaucracy and will it be effective bureaucracy."

CNN released excerpts of the interview in advance of the broadcast.

badger
7/5/2009, 08:01 PM
I've always liked Colin Powell.

yermom
7/5/2009, 08:09 PM
it's too bad W didn't listen to him...

jkjsooner
7/5/2009, 08:09 PM
I've always liked Colin Powell.

Not doubting you at all but there have been plenty on this board willing to throw Powell under the bus recently.

Scott D
7/5/2009, 08:16 PM
Not doubting you at all but there have been plenty on this board willing to throw Powell under the bus recently.

Which to me makes the thread ironic.

olevetonahill
7/5/2009, 08:25 PM

Who? Link ?

ndpruitt03
7/5/2009, 08:31 PM
Obama won't listen to him either. Bush was a republican in name only, if Obama had an R under him name instead of a D the democrats would be critical of him more than they were of Bush.

tommieharris91
7/5/2009, 08:33 PM
Who? Link ?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131274&highlight=colin+powell

olevetonahill
7/5/2009, 08:43 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131274&highlight=colin+powell

I remember that shat . But who was throwin C Powell under the bus ?

Sooner98
7/5/2009, 08:49 PM

Amen to that, but it's much worse that O is quadrupling what W did.

Scott D
7/5/2009, 08:53 PM
I dunno tommy, all I see is RLiMC having his party of one conversation with periodic posts by other people there.

TUSooner
7/5/2009, 09:24 PM
Colin Powell >>>>> Obama + W

JLEW1818
7/5/2009, 10:21 PM
Colin Powell >>>>> Obama + W

agree

CrimsonJim
7/5/2009, 11:03 PM
CP is the one that should have ran for President....

Crucifax Autumn
7/5/2009, 11:07 PM
I wish he had any interest in participating in a real way instead of sitting on the sidelines doing his cheers and jeers thing.

CrimsonJim
7/5/2009, 11:31 PM
Agreed. He really does need to put up or shut up come the next election time.

Crucifax Autumn
7/5/2009, 11:46 PM
At the very least run for a Senate seat or accept a cabinet position.

StoopTroup
7/6/2009, 12:14 AM
I wish it a President Powell and Vice-President Obama.

StoopTroup
7/6/2009, 12:15 AM
Of course I would also like to see the 2008 and 2009 PMOY as Prez and VP.

Curly Bill
7/6/2009, 12:15 AM
I wish it a President Powell and community organizer Obama.

FIXED

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/6/2009, 12:19 AM
Powell admits to voting for Obama, even after praising McCain.

StoopTroup
7/6/2009, 12:22 AM
I still like John McCain....I wish he was our President so we could see what he would have done with the post-election Iran like riots in the streets. :D ;)

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 12:23 AM
it's mainly a race thing.... and i don't mean that in a bad way...

but if i was black... and i had a chance to vote the first black president in office.... i too also would have voted for Obama... probably...

If this sounds racist or offensive to anybody at all please delete or tell me to delete ....

ndpruitt03
7/6/2009, 01:48 AM
the black vote didn't change from the last election. The American people were lead to believe that Obama was for change. They didn't know that he was for the same/

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 02:03 AM
yah.. but i was mostly referring to Powell

badger
7/6/2009, 08:13 AM
I think it upset some people that one of our few prominent minority Republicans would seem to be jumping ship for Obama when we needed him most - during the historic election and all.

I don't blame Gen. Powell for not wanting to run for national office - they'd call his family and him a bunch of Uncle Tom's for being black and Republican throughout the race and I'm sure Powell didn't want to put his family through that.

I was sad that Powell would not be supporting the Republican ticket in 2008, but I know that people need to go their own way, not just be a straight-party voter or whatever all of the time.

Mixer!
7/6/2009, 09:04 AM
So....what?

Colin Powell = Sarah Palin? :confused:

jkjsooner
7/6/2009, 09:32 AM
Who? Link ?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122789&highlight=Colin+Powell

I would say 85sooner, RLIMC, and Big Red Ron pretty much threw Powell under the bus.

Okla-homey was respectful to Powell but he was quick to point out that Powell earned his stripes in Washington and not the battlefield. Homey's was a respectful post but it was an attempt to marginalize Powell nonetheless.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 09:46 AM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122789&highlight=Colin+Powell

I would say 85sooner, RLIMC, and Big Red Ron pretty much threw Powell under the bus.

Okla-homey was respectful to Powell but he was quick to point out that Powell earned his stripes in Washington and not the battlefield. Homey's was a respectful post but it was an attempt to marginalize Powell nonetheless.

I havent read that thread again YET
But yer sayin 3 peeps 2 of which dont post at all If Much anymore = Plenty ?

MojoRisen
7/6/2009, 09:48 AM
I don't think Powell should have made it such a big deal he was supporting Obama, it was more like a betrayel against Bush that it was that he really wanted Obama.. That is my take from washington, it was made such a big deal who he was supporting and he ate up and promoted the attention.

He is working it for himself soon here...

achiro
7/6/2009, 10:25 AM
I totally agree with Powell here but seriously, WTF did he think was going to happen? There isn't anything happening so far that O didn't talk about doing during his campaign(with more to come). Powell endorsed a candidate that he doesn't agree with policy wise? I'm shocked! :eek: :rolleyes:

jkjsooner
7/6/2009, 10:34 AM

Fair point.

Scott D
7/6/2009, 12:17 PM

you forgot that the 3rd just posts to see himself post.

olevetonahill
7/6/2009, 12:21 PM
you forgot that the 3rd just posts to see himself post.

:O :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/6/2009, 12:51 PM
Also I was under the assumption that all RLIMC started threads are invalid for any use in arguments.