PDA

View Full Version : Julian Wilson Has Options

CK Sooner
7/5/2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_186012642.html

By Michael Kinney
The Norman Transcript

Julian Wilson has had a busy summer. Besides the workouts with his Southmoore High School teammates, the 6-foot-2, 175-pound wideout has traveled the country impressing college coaches.

But it was a week-long summer camp at Oklahoma that has brought Wilson some of his most promising results. The Sooners have joined the growing list of schools interested in the senior.

“My newest ones are OU, and I got a verbal offer from Florida, Arkansas, Colorado, Colorado State and Baylor,” Wilson said. “In all, I have 15 total offers.”

Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Stanford, Air Force, Arizona, SMU and Tulsa are also among Wilson’s possible choices when it comes to playing football at the collegiate level.

But the fact that he was given offers from elite programs such as Oklahoma and Florida after just one full year of varsity football has Wilson excited.

“That’s real good,” Wilson said. “They only recruit from the top best in the nation. I mean, they said I was good enough to offer. It’s a hometown school. Close to home. It’s a great school. They are constantly in the hunt for the (national) championship. That’s hard to put down. Florida too. They are the top two schools in the nation besides USC. It’s going to be a hard choice.”

Wilson attended the Florida camp this summer, where his coach Chris Jensen said he was one of the fastest players on the field after running the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds. That Wilson has sprinter’s speed makes sense. He was a top-five finisher in the 100 and 200 meters at last May’s state track and field meet

Last season, Wilson accounted for only 21 catches, 265 yards and three touchdowns. His numbers dropped when quarterback Kendal Thompson was injured in the middle of the season. Yet it may be on defense where Wilson finds a home in college. As a defensive back, he made 43 tackles and broke up six passes at last fall.

In additon to showcasing his talents, Wilson is using the offseason to get ready for a standout senior campaign.

“Just getting bigger, faster and stronger,” he said. “Pretty much the offseason is just hard work. Just got to keep on working hard. Me and the team are starting to come together. We have some chemistry under our belts … Things should go good this year.”

Despite the notoriety Wilson has garnered, he tries to make sure he stays grounded.

“It’s like a roller coaster,” Wilson said. “It’s going real crazy. I just focus on being a good player to my team and just staying humble. When most people get all these offers, they get cocky or let it go to their head. I just work on staying humble because I know I still have work to do.”

allentxsooner
7/6/2009, 08:37 AM
I like this kid, sounds like we have a good chance to get him

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 01:09 PM
Legit 4.4? If so that would be a nice get.

CK Sooner
7/6/2009, 01:12 PM
Legit 4.4? If so that would be a nice get.

Yes, he was timed at the Florida camp at 4.4. I am not sure if he ran a 40 at the Oklahoma camp, but I am sure he did.

Boomer.....
7/7/2009, 04:00 PM
Committed (http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2010)

CK Sooner
7/7/2009, 04:50 PM
I wonder why Scout and Rivals have him as a soft verbal?

Boomer.....
7/7/2009, 04:57 PM
When they first listed him he was a 1 star and not nationally ranked. Now he is a 3 star and ranked 45. :D

Either they didn't enter in his ranking or he got the OU benefit.

boomersooner28
7/8/2009, 03:21 PM
I'm all but done with the "stars" and "rankings" of high school kids. It's all a ploy to sell subscriptions.

MojoRisen
7/9/2009, 09:45 AM
I think it was his 4.4 flat speed coupled with cover skills - that got him offered at OU and Florida.

He may move even futher up the rankings if he has a good year playing both ways. His stats were low on offense last year as his QB went down half way through the season. thinking he gets 600+ yards recieving this year and some oskies on defense.

There is a lot of potential with this pickup.