PDA

View Full Version : Things you can't find in Tulsa

Okla-homey
7/5/2009, 12:52 PM
I shall now engage in a brief rant.

I spent several hours Saturday morning looking for 6" ABS pipe in the Tulsa metro. I hit all the usual suspect big-box home-improvement stores. I found no 6" ABS pipe. Plenty of 6" PVC, but none of that black ABS stuff. Moreover, the dweebs in various colored vests who were assigned to the plumbing supply sections of said establishments didn't even really understand the diff between PVC and ABS.

When I explained ABS is the stuff they make football helmets from and that pipes made from the material bulge rather than burst under pressure, the vest-wearers typically scratched their pierced ear and commented something to the effect "oh." Whereupon I stated, "think about it bud, razor-sharp shards of white hard plastic flying through the air is not the stuff of festive 4ths." They typically would again reply, "oh."

The upshot is, I was unable to construct the ersatz mortar I needed to fire my 6" fireworks shells last night. I am still a little pissed about it.

Thanks for listening. It was cathartic.

Petro-Sooner
7/5/2009, 01:03 PM
Did you try Locke's supply?

bluedogok
7/5/2009, 01:06 PM
Next time try a REAL plumbing supply company...BEFORE they close for the Fourth...or you could have tried some black iron pipe, that would have probably worked.

picasso
7/5/2009, 01:15 PM
there's a place next to Anchor Paint just off of Sheridan, can't recall the name but we used to get wholesale supplies from them.

Okla-homey
7/5/2009, 01:22 PM
Next time try a REAL plumbing supply company...BEFORE they close for the Fourth...or you could have tried some black iron pipe, that would have probably worked.

I know. But I didn't think it would be a problem. They had 4" ABS pipe at Lowes. As to the suggested iron pipe, a 3' section of 6" iron pipe would have been very heavy, and not easily acquired either since; 1) the big boxes don't carry it, and; 2) hacksawing a stick of 6" iron pipe to make a 3' section would have been a beyotch!

StoopTroup
7/5/2009, 02:11 PM
Leggett Mobile Mart

11212 E Admiral Blvd
Tulsa, OK 74116-3026
(918) 438-2222

http://www.mobilemart.com/class.aspx?d=04&c=455

Don't know if they had what you wanted but they might have known where to get it.

Glad you worked it out though.

badger
7/5/2009, 02:17 PM
A mayor? A mayoral candidate with universal support? OH! I know! City employees that haven't been furloughed into the holiday weekend!

:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
7/5/2009, 02:21 PM
2) hacksawing a stick of 6" iron pipe to make a 3' section would have been a beyotch!

I'd have gone with a sawzall....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_637K0Q14tqQ/SUW0aOCOazI/AAAAAAAAAt8/GaOAtIXq3Xo/s320/IMG_1752.JPG

badger
7/5/2009, 02:56 PM
How bout this... a fireworks display that doesn't go bad :(

We had those in both Tulsa and Sand Springs this weekend :(:(

bluedogok
7/5/2009, 04:24 PM
We forgot completely about fireworks, we watched Quantum of Solace and Rock 'N Rolla instead. I bought them when they first came out but we still hadn't watched them. Plus it was still about 100 degrees at 10:00 PM.

..and a Sawzall is the way to go.

oumartin
7/5/2009, 04:43 PM
chop saw is quicker than a sawzall for cutting pipe.

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 10:15 AM
Damn, badger where's the love for T-town?:D

picasso
7/6/2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.heatwavesupply.com/

badger
7/6/2009, 01:22 PM
Damn, badger where's the love for T-town?:D

It's easy for me to complain about Tulsa cuz I live here... but I still love living here, despite the little trouble spots we've had lately.

You know what you can't find in Tulsa? Overpriced houses. You get pretty fair deals when you sell or buy. You won't end up owing more than it's worth after a few years on the mortgage.

What else? People that don't care about their city. We have tons of community volunteers and philanthropists that are doing their darndest to make Tulsa and the surrounding area better for everyone, from a QT river park to the new toys downtown sure to attract awesome events for years (ONEOK ballpark and BOK Center).

Finally, you will not see very many restaurants and other retail shops without "now hiring" signs out front. Tulsa, like OKC, is very recession-proof.*

*This is not to suggest that people have not lost their jobs in Tulsa or elsewhere in Oklahoma. My prayers go out to those who have.