PDA

View Full Version : Bomar with Bradford

Crimson Kid
7/5/2009, 07:56 AM
Bomar with Bradford

Less than two weeks ago, former Grand Prairie High School quarterback Rhett Bomar picked up a $185,183 signing bonus for a four-year deal with the New York Giants.

Friday night, he spent a little of that money at Bungalow, the rooftop lounge above Joyce Champagne Lounge.

Joining Rhett was OU's Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Sam Bradford. (One year after Rhett was dismissed as OU's starting quarterback because of an NCAA rule violation, Sam replaced him.)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-peppard_0705gd.ART.State.Edition1.4c01360.html

Last person i thought sam would be hanging with.

adoniijahsooner
7/5/2009, 08:14 AM
Weird news indeed.

adoniijahsooner
7/5/2009, 08:16 AM
$185,183 signing bonus for a four-year deal with the New York Giants.

That mishap sure cost him some money.

walkoffsooner
7/5/2009, 08:21 AM
Sam is the kind of guy to to forgive and forget

SbOrOiNaEnR
7/5/2009, 08:58 AM
Bomar was booted off the team in August 2006. Sam graduated high school in 2006 (I have no idea if he graduated early or not to participate in spring ball), so they probably worked out together during "voluntary" summer workouts. They were more or less only on the team together for about 10 minutes.

Plus, if I were Sam Bradford, what would constantly be in the back of my mind is, "Thank you for being a f*ck up, 'cause it won me a Heisman Trophy." But I'm sure it's not, since he's a WAY better person than I am. ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
7/5/2009, 09:11 AM
Bomar was booted off the team in August 2006. Sam graduated high school in 2006 (I have no idea if he graduated early or not to participate in spring ball), so they probably worked out together during "voluntary" summer workouts. They were more or less only on the team together for about 10 minutes.

Plus, if I were Sam Bradford, what would constantly be in the back of my mind is, "Thank you for being a f*ck up, 'cause it won me a Heisman Trophy." But I'm sure it's not, since he's a WAY better person than I am. ;)

No, he did not graduate early (PC schools don't let you)

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2009, 10:38 AM
Bomar is part of a profession that Sam will soon join. It's called networking and smart people do it.

oudivesherpa
7/5/2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, and last week was seen Bomar was seen with Vince Young at Kinder-Care. Rhett was tutoring Vince on his ABC's.

bluedogok
7/5/2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, and last week was seen Bomar was seen with Vince Young at Kinder-Care. Rhett was tutoring Vince on his ABC's.
Maybe Rhett was just getting advice from Vince on how to be a backup QB.....

The Remnant
7/5/2009, 04:05 PM
Actually, Matt Leinhart will show Bomar how to hold a clip board..

fadada1
7/5/2009, 05:10 PM
That mishap sure cost him some money.

i'd claim some hours i didn't actually work for $182K+.

not that i had millions to lose in the first place.
:D

A-M
7/5/2009, 07:45 PM
i'd claim some hours i didn't actually work for $182K+.

not that i had millions to lose in the first place.
:D

I you had millions to lose, wouldn't you have enought brains to stay 'clean' in your actions while you were in college so you could get all that money? I think that I would if I was smart in any way. Claiming hours he did not work was not the first thing he did wrong while he was at OU. It was just the last one that Stoops let him get by with doing.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/5/2009, 07:53 PM
I you had millions to lose, wouldn't you have enought brains to stay 'clean' in your actions while you were in college so you could get all that money? I think that I would if I was smart in any way. Claiming hours he did not work was not the first thing he did wrong while he was at OU. It was just the last one that Stoops let him get by with doing.

It was actually the only one that would have/did get the University in big trouble.

badger
7/5/2009, 07:54 PM
Someone brought up "networking," which begs the question - will Bomar even make the Giants roster?

His competition includes David Carr (yes, the former No. 1 pick for the Texans), Eli Manning (the definite starter, barring injury), Andre Woodson (formerly of Kentucky).

I've seen teams only keep two QB's (which led to ENA being on the practice squad), but most will keep 3.

Manning is a sure-thing. I could see them going with Carr as his backup, because he has pro experience.

That leaves Bomar and Woodson, both rookies, both vying for the final QB spot on the roster (or practice squad, if they only have two on the main roster).

bluedogok
7/5/2009, 08:20 PM
Bomar will be a practice squad assignment this season. That gives them another year to assess both he and Woodson. I think Carr's contract may be up after this season and might be looking to move somewhere with a possible starting opportunity.

ndpruitt03
7/5/2009, 08:32 PM
Bomar is no longer in my memory. As far as I'm concerned with OU he didn't exist. He never did anything at OU.

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2009, 08:33 PM
I mentioned networking and there is no reason 2 guys trying to make the NFL shouldn't have lunch together. Bomar may never make a team as a player, but who knows. He could end up being a coach, GM, agent, etc. Same goes for Bradford. Unless someone wrongs you, there is no harm in adding them to your buddy list.

Crimson Kid
7/5/2009, 09:25 PM
I mentioned networking and there is no reason 2 guys trying to make the NFL shouldn't have lunch together. Bomar may never make a team as a player, but who knows. He could end up being a coach, GM, agent, etc. Same goes for Bradford. Unless someone wrongs you, there is no harm in adding them to your buddy list.

It just seems odd to me because off their totally different personalities, sam is level headed and rhett seems to have a ego.

SoonerLB
7/5/2009, 09:37 PM
Bomar's ego took a big hit a while back, as evidenced by that paltry signing bonus.

bluedogok
7/5/2009, 09:37 PM
Oh Sam has an ego, to compete at a level as high as he does, he has one...the difference is being able to keep it in check and not letting it rule your world.

Bosley
7/5/2009, 09:42 PM
I think Bomar lost his ego when he went from one of the most historic and dominant schools in sports history to competing for a starting position at Sam Houston State.

He grew up, I'm glad he's hanging out with Bradford.

Hella Sideburns
7/5/2009, 10:44 PM
you have to believe that bomar is better than woodson

CrimsonJim
7/5/2009, 10:51 PM
I actually think Bomar has a chance in the NFL. What will determine the outcome is what's between his ears, and it remains to be seen if he's got what it takes in that department.

Crucifax Autumn
7/5/2009, 10:58 PM
If his dad stays his *** at home the Bomar should eventually do quite well.

CrimsonJim
7/5/2009, 11:09 PM
Ain't that the truth. Jerry has already proven he can **** up a wet dream.

badger
7/6/2009, 07:37 AM
Oh Sam has an ego, to compete at a level as high as he does, he has one...the difference is being able to keep it in check and not letting it rule your world.

It was said that after it was announced that he had the starting job that he started to walk around with a tad bit more swagger than before in the lockerroom... but that's the only hint of ego I've seen out of him in his few years at OU.

BermudaSooner
7/6/2009, 08:24 AM
Bomar is no longer in my memory. As far as I'm concerned with OU he didn't exist. He never did anything at OU.

He was the last QB to win a bowl game at OU--we can't count too many of those lately, I'm not quick to forget it.

A 19 year old guy made a bad decision and most definitely paid for it--the rest of you that never made stupid decisions at 19 please continue to carry a grudge.

picasso
7/6/2009, 08:32 AM
Believing you're better than your opponent in sports isn't exactly akin to having an enormous ego.
Now if you believe you are better than all because you're a good athlete then that's quite different.

badger
7/6/2009, 08:56 AM
Believing you're better than your opponent in sports

I was just lurking at TexAgs (a perfect site if you need a good laugh) and coincidentally, they were saying this when people were like "Team is looking confident! We're gonna win 7 games! Gig EM!" and stuff.

:) Then the conversation turns funny when others chime in that 7 wins is the new 10 for A&M.

:D Then the conversation gets REALLY funny when people are like "SEVEN wins?! hahahahahahahaNO"

Whether the QB under center is Bomar or Bradford, it was good that we never stooped (no pun intended at all, actually) to a non-winning or non-bowl season under Stoops, despite talent transitions and all.

picasso
7/6/2009, 08:59 AM
well I was speaking of the actual athlete. Not us internet fan nerds.

sooner_born_1960
7/6/2009, 09:11 AM
You know, they might actually be friends.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/6/2009, 09:20 AM
That leaves Bomar and Woodson, both rookies, both vying for the final QB spot on the roster (or practice squad, if they only have two on the main roster).

Woodson isn't a rookie...he was drafted in 2008 in the 6th round...He was waived and put on their practice squad last season...

Until Woodson speeds up his release, he will stay on the practice squad

badger
7/6/2009, 09:22 AM
Woodson isn't a rookie...he was drafted in 2008 in the 6th round...He was waived and put on their practice squad last season...

Until Woodson speeds up his release, he will stay on the practice squad

'kay... i THOUGHT he was out of college for at least a year, but went by what the NY Giants site said.

They cannot be trusted... a team that claims to be from New York who is actually from New Jersey :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
7/6/2009, 11:00 AM
exactly...

boomermagic
7/6/2009, 11:30 AM
He was the last QB to win a bowl game at OU--we can't count too many of those lately, I'm not quick to forget it.

A 19 year old guy made a bad decision and most definitely paid for it--the rest of you that never made stupid decisions at 19 please continue to carry a grudge.

This

JohnnyMack
7/6/2009, 11:33 AM
Bomar has too much upside not to take a 185k gamble on him.

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 11:50 AM
I think I might be more pissed at Bomar for having that much talent and winding up at a place like SHSU. What happened to OU because of him was pretty bad, but having that much talent and pissing a nice college career away is f*cked up. If Bradford wants to hang w/Bomar that's his choice.

badger
7/6/2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe Bomar's giving him pointers on how to take off running when nothing's open... if he did something better than Bradford, scrambling would be it.

Of course, all that scrambling probably made Bomar motionless after games... getting pummeled that often instead of running outta bounds like Josh told him to... must have been a lot of pain.

starclassic tama
7/7/2009, 12:17 AM
I think I might be more pissed at Bomar for having that much talent and winding up at a place like SHSU. What happened to OU because of him was pretty bad, but having that much talent and pissing a nice college career away is f*cked up. If Bradford wants to hang w/Bomar that's his choice.

what's wrong with bomar's college career? sure it didn't end up like everyone hoped, but it was good enough to earn him a spot on the new york giants. i doubt he is too torn up about it.

Beef
7/7/2009, 08:05 AM
what's wrong with bomar's college career? sure it didn't end up like everyone hoped, but it was good enough to earn him a spot on the new york giants. i doubt he is too torn up about it.

I wish my time at OU had ended with a $185k signing bonus, but people weren't paying that premium for accountants in 1994.

MamaMia
7/7/2009, 08:12 AM
Bomar made a dumb mistake. College kids do stuff like that. It cost him big time. He paid the price without whining or blaming OU. I wish him well.

J.D. Quinn on the other hand...

Boomer Mooner
7/7/2009, 08:18 AM
Bomar made a dumb mistake. College kids do stuff like that. It cost him big time. He paid the price without whining or blaming OU. I wish him well.

J.D. Quinn on the other hand...

I agree with you. Bomar's dad on the other hand...

MamaMia
7/7/2009, 08:22 AM
I agree with you. Bomar's dad on the other hand...
I agree with you. New York Giants on the other hand...

stoops the eternal pimp
7/7/2009, 08:30 AM
you've got a lot of hands

GKeeper316
7/7/2009, 06:32 PM
Sam is the kind of guy to to forgive and forget

why the **** would sam bradford forgive rhett bomar????

had bomar not ****ed up and got booted off the team, sam would have ridden the bench till this year, hence no heisman.

bomar getting paid for work he didnt do was just about the best thing that ever happened to sam bradford. nothing to forgive imo.

BoulderSooner79
7/7/2009, 11:50 PM

You're projecting your fan feelings. Bomar handed Bradford a chance to start for OU as a RS freshman on a silver platter, so I can't imagine Sam sharing your feelings. But I still say networking is an important life skill that is overlooked. I think it should be taught in schools. I can't say that's what Sam was doing, but that's my guess. In the NFL, an enemy/opponent one year is your most important teammate the next. Or an older, veteran player to a rookie might be his coach in the future. You never know.

Crucifax Autumn
7/8/2009, 12:19 AM
As long as the networking had nothing to do with jobseeking advice and moneymaking opportunities I'm cool with it.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 06:55 AM
As long as the networking had nothing to do with jobseeking advice and moneymaking opportunities I'm cool with it.

Excellent point, but I'm not worried about Sam Bradford doing something silly.

MiccoMacey
7/8/2009, 09:48 AM

+1.

picasso
7/8/2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think it's all got to do with the actual mistake Bomar made. It's his attitude since then. He's more or less acted like he was a victim and that OU is to blame.

badger
7/8/2009, 10:12 AM
I don't hate Bomar or anything, I just don't want to be associated with him. When he's drafted to the NFL, he'll be from Sam Houston State, not OU. If he makes an NFL roster, his school will be SHS. If he should by some sheer dumb luck become a starter and get to announce what school he's from in a pre-recorded message on Monday Night Football when the started announce themselves, he will in all likelihood say "Sam Houston State."

Again, don't hate the guy, but he's moved on, so I have too.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2009, 01:44 PM
If he should by some sheer dumb luck become a starter and get to announce what school he's from in a pre-recorded message on Monday Night Football when the started announce themselves, he will in all likelihood say "Sam Houston State."

Nah, he would prolly be one of those d-bags that gives his high school.

badger
7/8/2009, 02:03 PM
Nah, he would prolly be one of those d-bags that gives his high school.

Johnny Jolly from Texaz A&M did that when he started for the Packers last season... the raaaaaage that possessed TexAgs.com was just plain... wow. You'd think that he was Benedict Arnold reincarnated or something. They whined about how he wasn't helping them recruit and he was a traitor and not an Aggie and crap like that.

stoopified
7/9/2009, 04:54 PM
you have to believe that bomar is better than woodsonWhy?