PDA

View Full Version : Bush: "Take it easy on the Longhorns next year"

SeattleOUstudent
7/4/2009, 10:57 PM
Hah. Not a chance.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31741472/ns/us_news-july_4th_special/

WOODWARD, Okla. - Former President George W. Bush was greeted by thunderous applause on the Fourth of July as he told thousands of spectators in a rural Oklahoma rodeo arena that the U.S. was "the greatest nation on the face of the earth."Bush was given six standing ovations as he spoke on a warm, humid evening in GOP-friendly Woodward, a town of about 12,000 residents in northwest Oklahoma and the latest in a handful of out-of-the-way places Bush has visited since leaving office.
During a 30-minute speech mostly devoid of political references — he mentioned his successor, Barack Obama, just once in passing — Bush thanked members of the military, spoke about the bravery of injured soldiers he'd met and told stories of people in difficult situations helping others.

"Patriotism comes in all different kinds of forms," he said. "Freedom is beautiful, freedom is precious, freedom must always be defended."
He also joked with the crowd, telling them it was "nice of you to give a retired guy something to do." The former Texas governor even briefly talked football, saying "all I ask is you take it easy on the Longhorns next year," referring to the heated rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma.

allenrayx
7/4/2009, 11:04 PM
Hah. Not a chance.

WOODWARD, Okla. - Former President George W. Bush was greeted by thunderous applause on the Fourth of July as he told thousands of spectators in a rural Oklahoma rodeo arena that the U.S. was "the greatest nation on the face of the earth."Bush was given six standing ovations as he spoke on a warm, humid evening in GOP-friendly Woodward, a town of about 12,000 residents in northwest Oklahoma and the latest in a handful of out-of-the-way places Bush has visited since leaving office.
During a 30-minute speech mostly devoid of political references — he mentioned his successor, Barack Obama, just once in passing — Bush thanked members of the military, spoke about the bravery of injured soldiers he'd met and told stories of people in difficult situations helping others.

"Patriotism comes in all different kinds of forms," he said. "Freedom is beautiful, freedom is precious, freedom must always be defended."
He also joked with the crowd, telling them it was "nice of you to give a retired guy something to do." The former *Texas* governor even briefly talked football, saying "all I ask is you take it easy on the Long*horns* next year," referring to the heated rivalry between *Texas* and Oklahoma.

ahhhhh bush can go blow a longhorn

soonerhubs
7/4/2009, 11:20 PM
Hah. Not a chance.

He also joked with the crowd, telling them it was "nice of you to give a retired guy something to do." The former **Texas** governor even briefly talked football, saying "all I ask is you take it easy on the Long**horns** next year," referring to the heated rivalry between **Texas** and Oklahoma.

Good for W. As much as people are willing to throw him under the bus, I admire and respect the fact that he kept this country safe. As much as I'm not willing to think Clinton single-handedly handed W a surplus, I'm also not willing to say W single-handedly killed that surplus and caused this recession. The same can be said for the current administration. Too much stock is put into a branch of government that normally has its powers checked by the other branches.

For you folks to attack a man so much, proves the simplistic mentality from which you derive your overly impassioned yet logically deficient political paradigm. Suggesting he perform acts on a longhorn probably provides evidence, beyond reasonable doubt, to that fact anyways.

I think it's cool that he took time to come to Woodward. The fact that he can make funnies about the Sooner Longhorn rivalry makes him even cooler.

CrimsonJim
7/4/2009, 11:23 PM
^^^ What he said....

allenrayx
7/4/2009, 11:45 PM
nevermind

Curly Bill
7/4/2009, 11:49 PM
well you can go blow bush......how is that for simple minded

What...are you 12?

allenrayx
7/4/2009, 11:51 PM
What...are you 12?

no im 12 and 1/2 .he started it lol

CrimsonJim
7/4/2009, 11:52 PM
well you can go blow bush......how is that for simple minded

You surpassed our expectations and succeeded completely. Congratulations.

allenrayx
7/4/2009, 11:54 PM

omg people just because i didnt use really big words to down him like he did me im the bad guy

allenrayx
7/4/2009, 11:57 PM
what i said about bush had nothing to do with politics.it has everything to do w/ cow fans and there cry baby bs i had to listen to last year

CrimsonJim
7/4/2009, 11:57 PM
I don't think Bush is a longhorn fan. At least I know his old man isn't - he's an aggy fan.

allenrayx
7/5/2009, 12:01 AM
i think your right

allenrayx
7/5/2009, 12:05 AM

thank you..........i think

soonerloyal
7/5/2009, 07:31 AM
Every hit our guys make on every *horn*, I'll be wishing I could see Dubya squashed right in between. I'd invite Mack Brown and Vince Young to dinner and spoonfeed 'em before I'd spit on a flaming GWB.

Six standing ovations? What is my state sinking to?

And no, taking it easy on the horns won't happen.

SoonerBacker
7/5/2009, 07:39 AM
Every hit our guys make on every horn, I'll be wishing I could see Dubya squashed right in between. I'd invite *Mack* Brown and Vince Young to dinner and spoonfeed 'em before I'd spit on a flaming GWB.

Six standing ovations? What is my state sinking to?

And no, taking it easy on the *horns* won't happen.

The SOONER STATE hasn't sunk to anything. We're RIGHT where we've always been. Now, take the Bush-bashing and the hyperbolistic hatred to the South Oval, PLEASE. I come here to read about and discuss Sooner football, not to engage in political debate.

UberSooner
7/5/2009, 07:57 AM
The SOONER STATE hasn't sunk to anything. We're RIGHT where we've always been. Now, take the Bush-bashing and the hyperbolistic hatred to the South Oval, PLEASE. I come here to read about and discuss Sooner football, not to engage in political debate.

Come on, seriously. You clicked a thread about Bush and didn't think any political sarcasm was going to be involved. I call bullshad.

SoonerBacker
7/5/2009, 08:42 AM
Call BS all you want. I never said I didn't expect it. I was afraid that was where this thread would go. That's the only reason I clicked on it - to see if it had already happened. Sure enough, it had.

I still believe that this is not the place for the discussion of his performance (or lack thereof) as president or for the debasing of Oklahomans for giving him 6 standing ovations. Discuss and/or bash him because of his comment about the OU v tu rivalry? ("...go blow a longhorn," for example) Go ahead! That's about football. Want to bash him or comment on his job as president? It seems to me that the South Oval is the place reserved for that. Or at least I thought it was........

"And no, taking it easy on the *horns* won't happen." Agreed!

meoveryouxinfinity
7/5/2009, 09:20 AM
I hate when the minority (liberals) are embarrassed by the majority (conservatives). As if Oklahoma is backwoods, small-time, and too country. It is what it is.

What has my state come to? It is what it has always been.

soonerloyal
7/5/2009, 09:43 AM
Who said backwoods, smalltime and too country? Not me.

Doesn't mean all of Oklahoma agrees with the BushLove. Nor does it mean I am ( or will or should be) proud of that part.

picasso
7/5/2009, 09:45 AM
I don't think Bush is a longhorn fan. At least I know his old man isn't - he's an aggy fan.

well I'd dare say they'll pull for the Horns against an Oklahoma.

and call me surprised this thread turned political.:rolleyes:

SoonerBacker
7/5/2009, 09:49 AM
And awaaaaaay we go. :rolleyes:

saxeT SUCKS! At least all Sooners can agree on THAT! Hook 'em

soonerloyal
7/5/2009, 09:50 AM
It'll be interesting to see how many of the tu regulars show up...ol' Matthew McConaughey's been absent from the sidelines for a while, hasn't he?

XingTheRubicon
7/5/2009, 10:09 AM
41 is aggy
43 is horn

soonerloyal
7/5/2009, 10:10 AM
And he was right...I know better than to get into polyticks away from the SO. The soil mighta been ripe for sour grapes, but it's the wrong pasture.

:O

PLaw
7/5/2009, 10:32 AM
Good for W. As much as people are willing to throw him under the bus, I admire and respect the fact that he kept this country safe. As much as I'm not willing to think Clinton single-handedly handed W a surplus, I'm also not willing to say W single-handedly killed that surplus and caused this recession. The same can be said for the current administration. Too much stock is put into a branch of government that normally has its powers checked by the other branches.

For you folks to attack a man so much, proves the simplistic mentality from which you derive your overly impassioned yet logically deficient political paradigm. Suggesting he perform acts on a longhorn probably provides evidence, beyond reasonable doubt, to that fact anyways.

I think it's cool that he took time to come to Woodward. The fact that he can make funnies about the Sooner Longhorn rivalry makes him even cooler.

Ditto.

Look no farther than CA to see where this country is headed.

Enough politics and back to FB.

BOOMER

bluedogok
7/5/2009, 11:44 AM
41 is aggy
43 is horn
They are both Yalies who adopted Texas schools after living there, most of the die hard born'n'bred Texans that I know of consider them to still be Yankees from Maine. One daughter did go to UT the other went to Yale.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the tu regulars show up...ol' Matthew McConaughey's been absent from the sidelines for a while, hasn't he?
He's too busy having kids out in LA....

MamaMia
7/5/2009, 02:16 PM
Until Bush Jr. approved of that first bailout I had no major problem with him. In my eyes his plus column was a lot longer than his minus column.

I still believe that he did what he thought was best for this country on any given day and even if I don't agree whole heartedly with everything he did, I do respect the effort and the office of the President of the United States of America. I am honored that he graced us with his presence on such an important day for our country, and right here in Woodward, Oklahoma.

The comment he made about OU not being too hard on his team this year, whether he meant the horns or the Texas Ags, should have been taken as a compliment to our program because that is most certainly how he meant it to be.

badger
7/5/2009, 02:24 PM
I like how Bush is staying mostly low-key since leaving office. I almost wonder if he just wanted to be president for a checkmark on his life's to-do list or something, because he seems to have no desire to have any great effect on the world's issues anymore... he just wants to retire to his gated rich people community and stuff.

I don't fault him for this... it's just that all the previous presidents during my (admittedly short) lifetime have still had a worldly presence since leaving office - Carter with his community work and anti-war stances, Bush Sr. and Clinton with their partnership together to raise funds after natural disasters, I'm not really sure about Reagan, but I heard about in the news before his death.

So, it's a change, but I don't really care.

Oh, and we'll never take it easy on Texaz.

JLEW1818
7/5/2009, 02:38 PM
I'd love to drink beer with W... i think anyone would...

oumartin
7/5/2009, 03:32 PM
I was there for his little speech. He talked for about 45 minutes. Not once harsh word came outta his mouth. He was very patriotic and funny.
He took the time to come out and shake many folks hands after he was finished.

I am very glad I went to see him. Definately worth it.
here is a photo I took from my seat some 150 yards away.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2667/3690267460_fdca86969d_o.jpg

The Remnant
7/5/2009, 03:57 PM
I am surprised some moron hasn't come on this board and said "Bush lied , people died!" Hope and change.Oh yeah. Big change. Still in Iraq. Still in Guantanamo. Quadupled debt. And chapped lips from kissing the butt of foreign leaders. If you want to see the future of this country, look at California. My state is bankrupt.

RedstickSooner
7/5/2009, 04:47 PM
They are both Yalies who adopted *Texas* schools after living there, most of the die hard born'n'bred Texans that I know of consider them to still be Yankees from Maine. One daughter did go to UT the other went to Yale.

He's too busy having kids out in LA....

Yeah, I was gonna say -- if you're an honest-to-Gawd cheerleader at your alma mater... Maybe that should be the school you stick with.

RedstickSooner
7/5/2009, 04:49 PM
I'd love to drink beer with W... i think anyone would...

Yeah, but the whole time it'd be way awkward with him going, "Crap, Laura's gonna *kill* me for this! I can't believe you talked me into goin' off the wagon! You got any idea how long it's been? Hell, not as long as Laura thinks, that's for sure! And, damn, I gotta say, if my dad takes one more cheap shot at me on Iraq, I'm gonna pop him right in the mouth, y'know?"

XingTheRubicon
7/5/2009, 07:40 PM
They are both Yalies who adopted *Texas* schools after living there

and W went on to an MBA from Harvard, but as I said before, 41 attends aggy games and functions and 43 UT.

JLEW1818
7/5/2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, but the whole time it'd be way awkward with him going, "Crap, Laura's gonna *kill* me for this! I can't believe you talked me into goin' off the wagon! You got any idea how long it's been? Hell, not as long as Laura thinks, that's for sure! And, damn, I gotta say, if my dad takes one more cheap shot at me on Iraq, I'm gonna pop him right in the mouth, y'know?"

:D

bluedogok
7/5/2009, 08:16 PM
and W went on to an MBA from Harvard, but as I said before, 41 attends aggy games and functions and 43 UT.
I haven't seen any news with W and UT since his daughter graduated and it would probably make some around here...and we know we would hear about the protests.

UberSooner
7/5/2009, 09:37 PM
I am surprised some moron hasn't come on this board and said "Bush lied , people died!" Hope and change.Oh yeah. Big change. Still in Iraq. Still in Guantanamo. Quadupled debt. And chapped lips from kissing the butt of foreign leaders. If you want to see the future of this country, look at California. My state is bankrupt.

Bush lied, peope died. California sux. Hope is a town in Arkansas, the birthplace of our greatest president. :pop:

CrimsonJim
7/5/2009, 09:53 PM
http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/Picard_Facepalm_by_LuckyHRE.gif

Crucifax Autumn
7/5/2009, 10:06 PM
_ksjk-tsy0Y

Crucifax Autumn
7/5/2009, 10:09 PM
v4Jn6rY923Y

The Remnant
7/5/2009, 10:11 PM
UberSooner, Clinton actually did some decent things for the economy ( See Arthur Laffer, Reagan's economic adviser), no lasting impact, however. Yes, California sux. Se habla espanol? And if Bush lied so did Clinton. The guy got disbarred.

JLEW1818
7/5/2009, 10:16 PM
v4Jn6rY923Y

NOW THAT'S AN ADULT BEVERAGE!!!!!

LOL