PDA

View Full Version : Terminex or Orkin

Fraggle145
7/4/2009, 05:35 PM
Guys I am looking into getting somebody to come and spray for pest control in Norman. I've tried doing it myself without much success, and I am gone half the time down to the biostation.

Anybody have any recommendations? I was thinking Terminex or Orkin, but I have no experience with either.

olevetonahill
7/4/2009, 08:31 PM
What kinda Bugs ?

Fraggle145
7/4/2009, 10:57 PM
Fleas mostly. I also have mole crickets. I've tried bombs and the cat doesnt have them any more... I finally got advantage on her. I've bombed the house twice. And by bombed I mean 1 bomb in each room (5) and the garage. There arent a lot any more, but I still see about 1 per hour on me. I know they dont bother most people, but they bite the **** out of me.

Curly Bill
7/5/2009, 12:01 AM
I have experience with neither either, I just voted for the fake money.

Only time I ever had trouble with fleas a bomb did the trick.

Sounds like maybe you're just a flea magnet. :D

Crucifax Autumn
7/5/2009, 01:02 AM
Boric Acid

Fraggle145
7/5/2009, 01:37 AM
Wouldnt surprise me if I was... bugs ****ing love to bite me.

OklaPony
7/5/2009, 09:36 AM
I use Atlas on Main Street.

Flagstaffsooner
7/5/2009, 09:52 AM
Dont forget to spay your yard.

Kimberlyz4OU
7/5/2009, 11:18 AM
I have a friend that swears by this for fleas....the crickets, I dunno... but she said to sprinkle baking soda on your carpet, just plain old baking soda - let it stay there all day; then vacuum. I haven't tried it - but there you go.

olevetonahill
7/5/2009, 11:39 AM
Bro when its Fleas ya have to spray/Bomb on a weekly basis fer at least 3 weeks .

Ya kill em out the 1st time then eggs they have laid hatch so ya got to do it again.
When ever I get em I spray malathion one week, then the following week spray again. then once more.
Like Flag said spray yer yard at the same time also .
good luck

AlbqSooner
7/5/2009, 11:51 AM
Once you get the fleas controlled, use Advantage or some similar product on your cat. That will keep the cat from picking them up and will also kill those that happen to get into the house some other way. Check with your local pet shop. Just put the stuff between the cat's shoulder blades so it can't be licked off.

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2009, 12:14 PM
I like the Beneficial Nematodes (http://www.arbico-organics.com/organic-pest-control-beneficial-nematodes-info.html), as it seems to make the little ****er's suffer.

CK Sooner
7/5/2009, 12:38 PM
I like the Beneficial Nematodes (http://www.arbico-organics.com/organic-pest-control-beneficial-nematodes-info.html), as it seems to make the little ****er's suffer.

Your going to use bacterial warfare on their asses!?

:eek:

Fraggle145
7/5/2009, 12:55 PM
I have a friend that swears by this for fleas....the crickets, I dunno... but she said to sprinkle baking soda on your carpet, just plain old baking soda - let it stay there all day; then vacuum. I haven't tried it - but there you go.

Ya that is the ****ed up part about it. I dont have any carpet in the entire house! Its all hardwood floors.

I forgot to mention that I sprayed the yard also, both times.

Basically, I've just reached the point where I am tired of ****ing with it every weekend with no results. I am only home for the weekends during the summer and want to spend some more time with my woman and less time messing with fleas.

I like the nematode idea though... MUAHAHAHAHA!

Okla-homey
7/5/2009, 01:26 PM
Ya that is the ****ed up part about it. I dont have any carpet in the entire house! Its all hardwood floors.

I forgot to mention that I sprayed the yard also, both times.

Basically, I've just reached the point where I am tired of ****ing with it every weekend with no results. I am only home for the weekends during the summer and want to spend some more time with my woman and less time messing with fleas.

I like the nematode idea though... MUAHAHAHAHA!

Since you don't have carpet, go old-skool on the bugs. Mop the floors with scalding hot water. As in boiling. That's what they used to do back in the day. That method even kills pre-hatch.

Also, have the drapes cleaned, and all bedding. if they're on you, they're probably in the beds too. Not sure what to do about the mattress, other than pitch it.

One more thing. A lady where I work had a flea problem she couldn't get the bulge on. As it turned out, she had bats in her attic she didn't know about that were bringing in fleas. You might check that out. It was easy to spot them because there were stinking piles of guano on the insulation under where they hung in the attic in daytime. Once she got rid of the bats, and sealed off their attic access, she was able to kill the existing fleas by bombing, and she had no more problems.

badger
7/5/2009, 02:20 PM
I have had good experiences with Terminex, but you will find that if you have a recurring problem that the second/third/etc time around, you can do exactly what the pros do by just getting the anti-pest supplies at Lowe's.

If you know what the pro would do before you call them the first time, the cheapest (and equally-effective) way would be to just do it yourself. However, if you don't have the time to do this, call Terminex.

Fraggle145
7/6/2009, 11:44 AM
Since you don't have carpet, go old-skool on the bugs. Mop the floors with scalding hot water. As in boiling. That's what they used to do back in the day. That method even kills pre-hatch.

Also, have the drapes cleaned, and all bedding. if they're on you, they're probably in the beds too. Not sure what to do about the mattress, other than pitch it.

One more thing. A lady where I work had a flea problem she couldn't get the bulge on. As it turned out, she had bats in her attic she didn't know about that were bringing in fleas. You might check that out. It was easy to spot them because there were stinking piles of guano on the insulation under where they hung in the attic in daytime. Once she got rid of the bats, and sealed off their attic access, she was able to kill the existing fleas by bombing, and she had no more problems.

Thanks Homey.

We've tried mopping with the hot water and water with pesticide in it and it helped but they still came back.

We havent seen any guano around. I am more worried that we may have mice or something under the house. I havent seen any evidence of mice in quite a while, but I have seen it before.

I decided just to go with Terminex just because that is who the previous owner was using and I really dont have the time to maintain it myself.

Hopefully if there are mice taking care of the bugs (their food supply) will take care of it.

soonerfan28
7/6/2009, 11:56 AM
I had roaches, but I guess when you live in a dumpster that's to be expected. Just kidding. I recently upgraded to cardboard box. In all seriousness I used to have a roach problem and Orkin was like $480 over 12month. I think it was like $80 every other month and they were gone by the second time out, but I had them finish up that year and I've had no problem since then. That was in 2004.

Boomer.....
7/6/2009, 12:44 PM
We used Teminex a couple of times for ants and spiders. Seemed to be pretty good.

OUDoc
7/6/2009, 12:53 PM
I use Anyhour (which wasn't an option) in OKC. No idea if they come to Norman or not. I've used them for years and trust them. One of their guys (so take this for what it's worth) says Terminex will screw with you to charge more money (he claims he used to work for them).

SoonerBorn68
7/6/2009, 01:09 PM
Alpha Omega in Norman is good. I went to high school with the owner & he's had the business for about 15 years.

Fraggle145
7/6/2009, 02:29 PM
Good to know of some locals. I wish I would've seen that first. Anyway, I'll know who to call if this doesnt work out at least.

OUthunder
7/7/2009, 10:28 AM
Moxie

NYC Poke
7/7/2009, 10:31 AM
It depends on whether your problem is with termits or orcs.

BYU Krueger
7/8/2009, 09:30 AM
UHH

Blood!