PDA

View Full Version : Palin out as Alaska Gov?

royalfan5
7/3/2009, 02:47 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31726640/ns/politics-more_politics/

CK Sooner
7/3/2009, 02:55 PM
I wonder what the reason is. I doubt she gets the nomination in 2012.

LosAngelesSooner
7/3/2009, 02:57 PM
They need her back in Hell.

Petro-Sooner
7/3/2009, 03:01 PM
:rolleyes:

oumartin
7/3/2009, 03:06 PM
I knocked her up. That will be leaked in the weeks to come.

King Crimson
7/3/2009, 03:10 PM
if the GOP can't do better than her in 2012, they in trouble.

oumartin
7/3/2009, 03:12 PM
anybody the GOP nominates will win the next POTUS election.

GrapevineSooner
7/3/2009, 03:14 PM
Probably a little sick of being in the public eye.

Granted, she sometimes does herself no favors in that regard. And for that reason, let's hope the GOP Can do better than her.

But just like I could never understand the abject hatred some people had for Bush, so to do I not understand the abject hatred from certain quarters on the left (and other places) for Palin.

King Crimson
7/3/2009, 03:15 PM
anybody the GOP nominates will win the next POTUS election.

will win Oklahoma but not sure that's true national-like.

Jindal already pissed his pants. palin is basically Danny Quayle with boobs and the same old Bill Kristol.

Harry Beanbag
7/3/2009, 03:18 PM
I like boobs.

JohnnyMack
7/3/2009, 03:18 PM
Senator Palin?

Petro-Sooner
7/3/2009, 03:23 PM
No Governor Palin. Keep up.

Okla-homey
7/3/2009, 03:24 PM
I think she's a genuine and candid person. I think she still has a lot to offer her country. While I don't think she's an intellectual, I'm not sure the country needs legions of intellectuals running things. We need some bright regular folks who have run businesses and made payrolls and had to make tough calls involved too.

Her comment American politics has become a "superficial, wasteful bloodsport' is right on the money.

I fear we have created a political system in which wonderful people who would be good leaders fear to step-in because of what the "beast," a/k/a the drive-by media, will do to them. They can turn a decent human being into a punchline in the span of a 24-hour news cycle. That is "bloodsport" and that is wasteful of our brightest and best.

Moreover, the sheer amount of cash it takes to run for national office is staggering. That too is wasteful.

I ask you, is there a 40 y/o in America who doesn't have a skeleton rattling in some closet somewhere, or at least a bone or two in a drawer? Who does that leave to lead us? Laboratory raised automatons who have been especially groomed for the purpose and who have not experienced the trials and challenges of everyday life?

Futhermore, lets face it folks, going after the woman's child to hurt the mother is just about the most classless thing imaginable. Gov. Palin's daughter's goof-up, while lamentable and worthy of discrete criticism from those who know her personally, should have been out of bounds for opponent hacks.

That's all I have to say about that. I wish her blessings and peace and I hope she doesn't leave the national political scene.

King Crimson
7/3/2009, 03:28 PM
Her comment American politics has become a "superficial, wasteful bloodsport' is right on the money.

and deeply ironic.

Preservation Parcels
7/3/2009, 03:29 PM
Well said, Homey. I fear for the future of our country when politics is so cutthroat that good people decline to lead.

oumartin
7/3/2009, 03:30 PM
I think she is out of big time politics.

I think thats it plain and simple.

JohnnyMack
7/3/2009, 03:31 PM
Radio or TV talk show host?

yermom
7/3/2009, 03:31 PM
"I think she's a genuine and candid person."

it's too bad that she's bat**** crazy to go with it

badger
7/3/2009, 03:36 PM
Stevens got a bridge to nowhere and many other things as a senator. All Palin got was a no-win VP nominee.

I say go Senate instead of governor over a small populous state!

Vaevictis
7/3/2009, 03:36 PM
Jimmy Carter is genuine and candid too.

Being perceived as genuine and candid are nice cards to be able to play when the situation warrants it, but by themselves generally go hand in hand with naive and ineffective.

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2009, 03:40 PM
That's too bad...but that's what happens when she gets routinely hounded by the tiniest amount of bull**** the left can dig up on her.

oumartin
7/3/2009, 03:43 PM
I gotta say though about the only person that annoys me more when they speak is our current POTUS

King Crimson
7/3/2009, 03:47 PM
That's too bad...but that's what happens when she gets routinely hounded by the tiniest amount of bull**** the left can dig up on her.

well, since you've posted more than once that you vote GOP since "they take care of you"....i don't think your perspective on national politics can be seen as anything but the most naked of self-interest.

CK Sooner
7/3/2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/03/palin-opts-run-second-term-alaska-governor/

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin shocked the political word Friday by announcing that she will step down at the end of the month and transfer power to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell.

Palin made the surprise announcement from her home in Wasilla, flanked by her husband, Todd, and family and state commissioners.

"I never believed that I nor anyone else needs a title to do this, to make a difference," she said. "I'm determined to take the right path for Alaska, even though it is unconventional and it's not so comfortable."

Parnell will be inaugurated at the governor's picnic in Fairbanks at the end of the month, Palin said.

The announcement came on the same week that one of her top public health officials says she was forced out of office because Palin felt she wasn't in step on social issues.

Palin's decision now allows her to avoid the difficult task of running for president while serving as governor.

Todd Palin told FOX News that his wife will concentrate on "doing the things for Alaska and the country" that she is passionate about and can not do as governor with the limitation and constant opposition she deals with within the state.

Palin, who defeated incumbent Gov. Murkowski in a primary in 2006,.gained national prominence when GOP presidential candidate John McCain picked her as his running mate last year. But her approval ratings in the state have skidded in recent months.

Palin has been dogged in recent months by ethics inquiries. Her office last month announced the 15th dismissal of an ethics complaint against her or one of her staff.

On Wednesday, Beverly Wooley, who has worked more than 20 years in public health in Alaska, most of it with the municipality of Anchorage, ended her stint as state public health director.

She's the second top health official to leave within days. The state's chief medical officer, Jay Butler, left in late June after declining to take on Wooley's job along with his own. He now is in Atlanta, overseeing a U.S. Centers for Disease Control task force on a vaccine to protect against the H1N1 flu virus.

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2009, 04:06 PM
well, since you've posted more than once that you vote GOP since "they take care of you"....i don't think your perspective on national politics can be seen as anything but the most naked of self-interest.

Really? Who the hell are you to talk in a condescending manner to me on my politics?

King Crimson
7/3/2009, 04:11 PM
Really? Who the hell are you to talk in a condescending manner to me on my politics?

you don't disagree with what i said?

i'm perfectly happy to call you out, because you just dogpile politics threads after people like vet or others have an opinion. then you come in.

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2009, 04:15 PM
Welcome to my ignore list KC.

King Crimson
7/3/2009, 04:19 PM
can't take it, huh?

jkjsooner
7/3/2009, 05:33 PM
I think she's a genuine and candid person. I think she still has a lot to offer her country.

I'm sorry but I hate phrases like "offer her country" or "serve her country." That is complete B.S. for 99% of politicians. They seek a sweet job with lots of power and fame and will generate lots of money during or after office.

I know you're not saying they're serving their country but I cringe every time I hear a politician refer to himself/herself that way. Let's leave that talk to those who actually sacrafice something (and that doesn't have to be a military sacrafice) and leave out those who are simply seeking power and self-glorification.

Edit: On second reading this rant was probably out of context.

bluedogok
7/3/2009, 06:27 PM
I think she's a genuine and candid person. I think she still has a lot to offer her country. While I don't think she's an intellectual, I'm not sure the country needs legions of intellectuals running things. We need some bright regular folks who have run businesses and made payrolls and had to make tough calls involved too.
That would probably eliminate about 90% of those involved in politics.

I fear we have created a political system in which wonderful people who would be good leaders fear to step-in because of what the "beast," a/k/a the drive-by media, will do to them. They can turn a decent human being into a punchline in the span of a 24-hour news cycle. That is "bloodsport" and that is wasteful of our brightest and best.

Moreover, the sheer amount of cash it takes to run for national office is staggering. That too is wasteful.

I ask you, is there a 40 y/o in America who doesn't have a skeleton rattling in some closet somewhere, or at least a bone or two in a drawer? Who does that leave to lead us? Laboratory raised automatons who have been especially groomed for the purpose and who have not experienced the trials and challenges of everyday life?
I think it has affected the majority of people who have chosen to run for office beyond a city council seat in the past 20 years.

JohnnyMack
7/3/2009, 07:53 PM

Dude your political opinions are the worst kept secret since Clay Aiken announced he was gay.

Petro-Sooner
7/3/2009, 08:40 PM
Thats funny stuff.

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2009, 08:46 PM
Dude your political opinions are the worst kept secret since Clay Aiken announced he was gay.

That is an astute observation...but at least I'm not resorting to this petty attack and condescension crap. You and I obviously have our political differences JM, and I definitely wear my political opinions on my sleeve (and I have been very careful with respect to our Commander In Chief, because he is my boss), but I'll be damned if I start jumping in and being an *** to someone the way that it was handled earlier today.

I personally think that she was sick and tired of all the frivolous ethics complaints that were taking a great deal of her time and attention. Y'alls opinions of her intelligence aside, I think she saw this resignation as both the best option for Alaskans to have a governor capable of dealing with their affairs (heh...pun intended for Mark Sanford), and the best option for her to take the time out of the spotlight for a bit to rework her image for either a Senate run or a Prez run in 2012.

StoopTroup
7/3/2009, 09:04 PM
I knew she was a quitter.

StoopTroup
7/3/2009, 09:14 PM

Futhermore, lets face it folks, going after the woman's child to hurt the mother is just about the most classless thing imaginable. Gov. Palin's daughter's goof-up, while lamentable and worthy of discrete criticism from those who know her personally, should have been out of bounds for opponent hacks.

That's all I have to say about that. I wish her blessings and peace and I hope she doesn't leave the national political scene.

That being said....many of you have been kind of hard on Barack too. :pop:

Scott D
7/3/2009, 09:14 PM
Even Fox managed to make her sound like a quitter.

Really, the job was too much because of mounting opposition by the Alaska legislature? How the hell did she get beyond the PTA, seriously?

StoopTroup
7/3/2009, 09:18 PM
I also think it's good McCain lost at this point....how would it look if she had suddenly quit as VP?

Scott D
7/3/2009, 09:19 PM
Or as a candidate in 2012...I mean if she won, the first time Congress wouldn't pass a bill of hers she'd quit because of 'mounting opposition'.

StoopTroup
7/3/2009, 09:20 PM
Or as a candidate in 2012...I mean if she won, the first time Congress wouldn't pass a bill of hers she'd quit because of 'mounting opposition'.

Yep...spin it how you want but she screwed up.

Scott D
7/3/2009, 09:23 PM
I guess on a bright note, she has the free time to make sure her other daughters comprehend what abstinence is beyond how to spell it like her oldest ;)

StoopTroup
7/3/2009, 09:25 PM
All anyone needs to research is what happened to Ross Perot when he decided to step out and then later tried to resume a run at the Presidency.

starclassic tama
7/3/2009, 09:59 PM
anybody who thinks she is a capable politician just isn't very bright... go raise your kids and be a housewife all you want, but the thuoght of her leading any kind of public office is just horrifying

it is upsetting that mccain chose her as a running mate. it's obvious that he thought he needed someone with as much shock value as obama to compete. if he would have picked a competent running mate, i'm not saying he would have won, but it would have been a lot closer. and that's a shame because i wanted mccain to win and thought he was best for the job.

Ruuuuuufus
7/3/2009, 10:49 PM
http://imgur.com/vRyCn.jpg

:mad:

Her resignation was so sudden, doesn't really help her case in the argument against these embezzlement charges. Guess we'll see what is to come...

King Crimson
7/3/2009, 11:09 PM
http://www.christers.net/veeps/dan-quayle.jpg

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2009, 12:10 AM
I'll leave you all with three words:

Spenard Builder's Supply.

These words are likely to become very familiar to people who follow politics very soon.

Scott D
7/4/2009, 12:33 AM
Interesting, but would that fall under the category of "kickbacks" or "bribery"?

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2009, 01:05 AM
Just some scuttlebutt that's floating around up here. We'll see if it's actually true-for what it's worth, it was passed to me by someone who said that there would be a huge announcement out of the Governor's office this week back on the 29th.

Okla-homey
7/4/2009, 06:34 AM
it is upsetting that mccain chose her as a running mate. it's obvious that he thought he needed someone with as much shock value as obama to compete. if he would have picked a competent running mate, i'm not saying he would have won, but it would have been a lot closer. and that's a shame because i wanted mccain to win and thought he was best for the job.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...but know this. The democrats were positively panicked and the repubs were fired-up after she was introduced and spoke at the RNC. McCain closed the gap that week, and may well have won -- but for the horrible economic news that spewed forth in October. For some reason, more folks felt the Democrat party was better able to deal with getting the country economically back on track...based on the way things are panning out, a belief that appears to be unfounded.

It is entirely possible that the 2012 Repub presidential candidate will win with the use of the same tagline RR used to beat JC: "are you better off now than you were in 2008?"

oumartin
7/4/2009, 07:13 AM
I love how people have all this inside information after the fact. Some people amaze me

JohnnyMack
7/4/2009, 07:32 AM
Froze sighting!

soonerhubs
7/4/2009, 08:15 AM
That being said....many of you have been kind of hard on Barack too. :pop:

Yes, the media just beats the hell out of the new President.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashaot.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20041755/

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/23101.html

Yes, you're right. It's pretty much the exact same treatment.
:rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2009, 08:47 AM
I love how people have all this inside information after the fact. Some people amaze me

:shrug:

It's not particularly "inside information." Check out Shannyn Moore's facebook or twitter feeds if you want. Or her wordpress blog.

If it plays out, hey, there you go. If it doesn't, no particular skin off my back. Thought some of you might want to hear what the supposition is up here instead of letting Meghan Stapleton feed you the "Mean ol' liberal media made her quit" line.

StoopTroup
7/4/2009, 09:37 AM
It is entirely possible that the 2012 Repub presidential candidate will win with the use of the same tagline RR used to beat JC: "are you better off now than you were in 2008?"

Thing is...I think that question is starting to be posed already.

We all are making adjustments instead of seeing opportunity in our future, yet things seem to continue to roll on and collapse doesn't seem eminent.

It might take a real collapse for your theory to take a real hold as many folks feel Obama was handed this mess. If the guy keeps things from collapse, brings that spending he's done under control and is able to get us through hard times, which is my guess on how it will be termed by the Dems, The President will continue on the Hope and Change Train for 4 more years and the Repubs will still be picking up the pieces of their Party.

Repubs really have taken a huge torpedo in their stearn. Palin leaving office is just another sign of it IMO.

I can't believe she didn't consult the Republican Party about her plans to leave yet it seems that's exactly what she did.

Amazing that the guys like Mitt Romney and the Republican Road Show haven't had any comment as of yet on this.

Okla-homey
7/4/2009, 12:00 PM
Thing is...I think that question is starting to be posed already.

We all are making adjustments instead of seeing opportunity in our future, yet things seem to continue to roll on and collapse doesn't seem eminent.

I disagree ST. See, the thing is, the Euro-style social welfare state generally involves everyone having basic essentials (apartment, healthcare, old-age pension, public transport) but little more, no matter how gifted they are or how hard they work. In order to provide those things for all, they have to tax the heck out of everyone who has an income.

I'm not convinced most Americans are really ready to shift their personal aspirations and their aspirations for the children downward. But we'll see.

I'm not quite certain what BHO was "handed," but I feel he's overreaching with his healthcare and carbon cap and trade initiatives at a time we simply can't afford either. I also feel a great number of folks resent the public acquisition of the banks and the carmakers. All those things bear the BHO imprimatur.

StoopTroup
7/4/2009, 12:17 PM
Homey...

I wasn't going as far as you did there with the European side of things. What I'm saying about us making adjustments is just what it takes the average American to live a month. Many of us are changing the way we spend money. More and more are working to lower their debt and spending cash on what they need. Less and less are going into these 0.0% for 12 month deals or 90 days same as cash as they are not using as much discretionary income. Middle Class America is a lot more frugal than they were 8 years ago.

Less taxes are being collected and even Tulsa's Mayor sees the infrastructure problems all our cities could face in the future if enough tax isn't collected to pay to keep Cops, Firefighters etc on the streets working.

We're along way off being anything like Europe IMO.

StoopTroup
7/4/2009, 12:26 PM
I'm not convinced most Americans are really ready to shift their personal aspirations and their aspirations for the children downward. But we'll see.

When I see folks make this kind of statement it kills me.

I'm the perfect example of a kid who grew up watching his Father and Uncle do Surgery and both talked their kids out of following in their footsteps as they saw the Profession change for the worse. The worse is upon us.

Capt. Sulley, after saving all those people's lives by landing his plane on the Hudson, sat on Capitol Hill telling Congress how he was worried about the future of his Profession and that he would never mentor his kids to become a Commercial Pilot.

In the wake of watching the healthcare issues as well as Continental Airlines pilot training program...I for one am not real Bullish on America right now.

If you are...fine. I understand. For me it's not the reality I believe.

Soonerpsycho
7/4/2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.palinaspresident.us

LosAngelesSooner
7/4/2009, 01:08 PM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda...but know this. The democrats were positively panicked and the repubs were fired-up after she was introduced and spoke at the RNC. McCain closed the gap that week, and may well have won -- but for the horrible economic news that spewed forth in October. For some reason, more folks felt the Democrat party was better able to deal with getting the country economically back on track...based on the way things are panning out, a belief that appears to be unfounded.

It is entirely possible that the 2012 Repub presidential candidate will win with the use of the same tagline RR used to beat JC: "are you better off now than you were in 2008?"Dude...the Democrats were scared ****less ONLY of the prospect of her being one heartbeat away from the White House. She'd destroy this country if she was to lead it. And if there was a 3am phone call under her watch? Oh, Lord...and Heaven forbid.

The Republicans weren't fired up...the Republican BASE of ultra-far right Christian Conservatives were fired up. The Republicans who lie in the middle or just right of center were ALSO terrified and THEY are the ones who migrated to Obama and cost McCain the election.

Look at the numbers. Obama won the moderates and swing voters. That's why he won the White House.

And Palin cost McCain those votes. Period.

LosAngelesSooner
7/4/2009, 01:16 PM
It is entirely possible that the 2012 Repub presidential candidate will win with the use of the same tagline RR used to beat JC: "are you better off now than you were in 2008?"Our party needs to quit worrying about who's gonna "win the White House in 2012" and START worrying about who's gonna win Governorships, Senate seats, HOR seats, City Council seats, etc...etc...

We have a vacume in the "up and coming" area of politics the likes of which we've never had before.

And with our "big dogs" falling one after another, it ain't looking good for 2012. That's reality.

I disagree ST. See, the thing is, the Euro-style social welfare state generally involves everyone having basic essentials (apartment, healthcare, old-age pension, public transport) but little more, no matter how gifted they are or how hard they work. In order to provide those things for all, they have to tax the heck out of everyone who has an income.Dude, you make it sound like there are no rich people in Europe and all the rich people are in the U.S.

Have you ever BEEN to the French Riviera?

JLEW1818
7/4/2009, 01:19 PM
a democrat was going to win in 2008, regardless of who was running in my opinion.....

2012... who knows

but your right LAS, we need to take back over congress.

Scott D
7/4/2009, 01:34 PM
the GOP should worry more about solidifying and repairing the fracture in their base, than on 2010-2012 campaigns right now.

LosAngelesSooner
7/4/2009, 01:36 PM
My favorite quote re: the whole "Palin Resignation" thingy...

“I think Sarah Palin is on the verge of becoming the Miami Vice of American politics: Something a lot of people once thought was cool and then 20 years later look back, shake their heads and just kind of laugh,” quipped Republican media consultant Todd Harris.

Okla-homey
7/4/2009, 01:42 PM
Our party needs to quit worrying about who's gonna "win the White House in 2012" and START worrying about who's gonna win Governorships, Senate seats, HOR seats, City Council seats, etc...etc...

We have a vacume in the "up and coming" area of politics the likes of which we've never had before.

And with our "big dogs" falling one after another, it ain't looking good for 2012. That's reality.

Dude, you make it sound like there are no rich people in Europe and all the rich people are in the U.S.

Have you ever BEEN to the French Riviera?

No, I haven't been to the French Riviera, but I've tramped around the UK, Germany, Northern Italy, Spain and the Balkans. The vast majority of folks there live rather like American college students. They live in tiny apartments or rowhouses, they ride busses, bikes or drive little beaters, they take summers off, and someone else pays their doctor bills.

And you need to get to Oklahoma more if you think the GOP isn't doing fine at the state and local level.

LosAngelesSooner
7/4/2009, 01:50 PM
1 state out of 50.

And that one state is the ONLY state in the Union that didn't have a single county go for Obama in the last election.

HARDLY representative of the whole.

LosAngelesSooner
7/4/2009, 01:53 PM
And one month paid vacation per year with enough money to travel with your family around the world EVERY YEAR...sure seems nice to me. Even if it means I can't afford a 6mpg Hummer and a house 3 times the size that I actually need in order to live comfortably.

But that's just me. ;)

SoonerBorn68
7/4/2009, 02:05 PM
Our?

JohnnyMack
7/4/2009, 02:06 PM
And you need to get to Oklahoma more if you think the GOP isn't doing fine at the state and local level.

Yeah. Cause they've got Sally Kern. **** yeah.

Fraggle145
7/4/2009, 02:23 PM
This makes me happy. She was one crazy-*** dumb bitch. scared the **** out of me.

Okla-homey
7/4/2009, 02:23 PM
1 state out of 50.

And that one state is the ONLY state in the Union that didn't have a single county go for Obama in the last election.

HARDLY representative of the whole.

I'm certain there are several other states in which Obama only won the counties in which black folks constitute a numerical majority or near-majority. That was certainly the case throughout the Deep South. We have no counties in Oklahoma in which black folks constitute a majority or near-majority, thus, no Oklahoma counties went in his column.

We need to understand that his candidacy resulted in a black get-out-the-vote unlike anything we've ever seen in this country, and those folks voted as a block for him. We now know literally millions voted who had never bothered to vote before in order to elect a black president. As an aside, perhaps ironically, that turn-out is also precisely why Prop 8 passed in your state.

Whether that black turn-out will be repeated in 2012 remains to be seen.

I'm concerned the GOP has lost on the immigration policy issue and we're going to see some sort of amnesty bill passed by the Democrat Congress before the 2010 "mid-terms" that will add 30 million registered Democrats in 2010 and 2012. If that comes to pass, we'll have single-party rule for a long time to come.

And for what its worth, I think there should be a path to citizenship for the folks hewre illegally, because we certainly lack the national will to deport them. What's more, we need them to do the crap work no citizen will do. Of course, once they're legal, they might not do the crap work either. Who knows what we'll do then.

Okla-homey
7/4/2009, 02:30 PM
And one month paid vacation per year with enough money to travel with your family around the world EVERY YEAR...sure seems nice to me. Even if it means I can't afford a 6mpg Hummer and a house 3 times the size that I actually need in order to live comfortably.

But that's just me. ;)

WTF are you talking about? Joe Six-pack in the UK, France, Germany, etc. certainly isn't a flippin' world-traveler. He may take a couple weeks to the beach on the Med, but he's certainly not jetting about like Brad and Angelina.

bluedogok
7/4/2009, 02:33 PM
Texas is still solidly Republican and doesn't look to change anytime in the near future. Other than than the urban center counties like Travis (Austin), Harris (Houston), Dallas and those in the valley every other county seems to be overwhelmingly Republican. ALL of the suburban counties around the major metros are very Republican.

WTF are you talking about? Joe Six-pack in the UK, France, Germany, etc. certainly isn't a flippin' world-traveler. He may take a couple weeks to the beach on the Med, but he's certainly not jetting about like Brad and Angelina.
There are also equivalent beaches to the US's own "Redneck Riviera's" as well that they are going to instead of the high end resorts. Their travel distance can be much the same.

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 05:25 PM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda...but know this. The democrats were positively panicked and the repubs were fired-up after she was introduced and spoke at the RNC. McCain closed the gap that week, and may well have won -- but for the horrible economic news that spewed forth in October.

Either that, or Palin was a classic example of "good from far, far from good."

Yeah, Democrats were initially worried. She fired up a lost of the religious conservative base. Her selection immediately added a female to McCain's ticket, and had the potential to draw women voters -- a Democratic lynchpin historically -- away from Obama. Being scared of this selection, inititally at least, makes sense.

Then we got to know her. Gaffe after gaffe after gaffe followed. Remember how Biden was supposed to be the guy who says stupid things in the limelight? Palin beat him hands down in that department.

If you go back and sift through polling data, what you're going to find is that Palin provided a major boost with conservatives and moderates directly after the pick. This was sustained with conservatives, but as time went on, the reaction turned negative among moderates.

Example: ABC News Poll (http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/1077a2AyersACORNandPalin.pdf) released October 20, 2008.

On the vice presidential candidates, 52 percent of likely voters say McCain's pick of Palin has made them less confident in the kind of decisions he'd make as president; that's up 13 points since just after the selection, as doubts about Palin's qualifications (also voiced by Powell on Sunday) have grown. Just 38 percent say it makes them more confident in McCain's judgment, down 12 points.

(...)

OTHERS – There are other differences among groups. Views of the Palin selection, naturally, are highly partisan. But majorities of moderates (62 percent), young adults (59 percent) and women (56 percent) all say it makes them less confident in McCain’s judgment. (More women than men say so.) So do near majorities, 48 percent, of white women and married women alike.

Basically, Palin pleased the Republicans likely to vote for McCain already -- not particularly helpful, right? -- and actually hurt him with the secondary group she was supposed to help with.

Congratulations. The Republican party likes Palin. But the Republican party alone isn't enough, and she turned off the people you need to actually win.

Yeah, the Dems were scared of her initially -- and by this, I mean the party strategists. I imagine they love her now. She may whip up the Republican base, but the base isn't enough. By turning off the moderate independents, she actually marginalizes your party. In other words, the Democrats probably want her to stick around. The way she is right now, she's the gift that keeps on giving.

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2009, 05:36 PM
Heh. Like a good point guard who gets picked apart by the full-court press...

We could call her Austin Johnson, but he actually stuck around for four years.

Scott D
7/4/2009, 05:42 PM
ouch... ;)

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 05:44 PM
Good point guards don't, upon being subjected to a full court press, run to the coach and say, "Coach, coach, you gotta put someone else in. I can't handle this. They're actually playing defense!"

Scott D
7/4/2009, 05:45 PM
yours wasn't as good.

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 05:48 PM
Mine wasn't really meant to be a burn.

I'm just incredulous at her excuse. I mean, really.

You're in politics, and you're surprised when the media, given a chance, rips you to shreds? You ran for national office, and you're surprised when the opposing party digs into everything in an attempt to discredit you? You're the leader of a state political party, and you can't believe it when the opposition party actually opposes you?

It's just absurd.

Scott D
7/4/2009, 05:54 PM
I believe the proper phrasology is "I guess we're not in Wasilla anymore Toto."

picasso
7/4/2009, 08:06 PM
at least she wasn't forced from her job legally ala the dip**** in Illinois (who seems to be getting a free pass by some in the press).

picasso
7/4/2009, 08:08 PM

You're in politics, and you're surprised when the media, given a chance, rips you to shreds? You ran for national office, and you're surprised when the opposing party digs into everything in an attempt to discredit you? You're the leader of a state political party, and you can't believe it when the opposition party actually opposes you?

It's just absurd.

dude please. the vitriol directed her way was pretty pathetic. the way she was treated by some of these drive by tv dorks didn't do any woman politician one bit of good.

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 08:17 PM
"Dude, please" yourself.

Welcome to politics. This is the way it works. If she got into politics -- especially signed up to run for VP -- expecting anything else, it would be kind to describe her as incredibly naive.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2009, 08:18 PM
To be fair to the MSM, if Obama had run against Jesus Christ, they would have questioned why Jesus did not cure everyone and run lots of stories about his connections to Anti-Roman sectors of the Jewish Community. The MSM just loved Obama SOOOOO much, that they were willing to throw away their modicrum of dignity

picasso
7/4/2009, 08:31 PM
"Dude, please" yourself.

Welcome to politics. This is the way it works. If she got into politics -- especially signed up to run for VP -- expecting anything else, it would be kind to describe her as incredibly naive.

bull****. you honestly think they would have given it to Hillary like that? Can you honestly say there wouldn't have been any kind of uproar if she or some other liberal woman politician was played like that?
unprecedented **** she caught. please my self? gladly if you're the alternative.

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 08:32 PM
The Republicans gave it to Bill like that.

picasso
7/4/2009, 08:38 PM
The Republicans gave it to Bill like that.

The Republicans didn't have a stronghold in the media. If you're going to say that the media had nothing to do with the sway in opinion then you're even sillier than I thought.
The Republicans also didn't roast Bill until after he was in office. Sure that's politics, but Palin's family and personal life were set up and knocked outta the demagogue ball park.

meh.

olevetonahill
7/4/2009, 08:46 PM

It's just absurd.

Yes it is, Obama got a free pass from the media :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
7/4/2009, 08:47 PM
"Dude, please" yourself.

Again , Yet Obama gets a free pass :rolleyes:

yermom
7/4/2009, 08:49 PM
i'm pretty sure anyone with the pro-abstinence sex ed stance whose teenage daughter got knocked up would have gotten the business

leading a prayer as governor for a natural gas pipeline contract? former beauty queen? what did she expect?

then you can get into the ethics allegations. if this latest thing turns out to be true, then she's full of crap about this media stuff

i was kinda on the fence between Obama and McCain before he chose her

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 08:51 PM
No, but they had Fox news and Rush Limbaugh.

Do you not recall all the Chelsea Clinton is as ugly as... comments? Do you not recall the continuous series of ethics investigations, just throwing stuff to see what sticks?

Also, last I checked, being Governor of Alaska qualifies as "being in office."

olevetonahill
7/4/2009, 08:53 PM
No, but they had Fox news and Rush Limbaugh.

Do you not recall all the Chelsea Clinton is as ugly as... comments? Do you not recall the continuous series of ethics investigations, just throwing stuff to see what sticks?

Also, last I checked, being Governor of Alaska qualifies as "being in office."

So being a Junior senator from Chicago " Qualifies ":rolleyes:

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 09:08 PM
So being a Junior senator from Chicago " Qualifies ":rolleyes:

As being in office? Yes, it does. Are you saying you've never seen a senator or member of the House get raked over the coals?

And I'm not saying that Obama isn't getting treated rather well.

I'm saying that if you go into politics, you really shouldn't be surprised if things go south and you get ripped a new ******* in the public eye. The media might do it, your political opponents might do it, whatever. But ultimately, it's part of the job description. It just comes with the territory.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2009, 09:09 PM
a democrat was going to win in 2008, regardless of who was running in my opinion.....

If Hillary had gotten the Democratic nomination, McCain would have won even with Palin. Too many people dislike Hillary.

If McCain had picked a competent running mate, he would've had a runaway win over Hillary. He probably would have taken a narrow win over Obama.

soonerhubs
7/4/2009, 09:13 PM
If Hillary had gotten the Democratic nomination, McCain would have won even with Palin. Too many people dislike Hillary.

If McCain had picked a competent running mate, he would've had a runaway win over Hillary. He probably would have taken a narrow win over Obama.

I can agree with that to a certain extent, but I would suggest that the economic collapse wasn't a helpful feature for the incumbent party either.

JohnnyMack
7/4/2009, 09:19 PM
I'm starting to think Hillary was the best choice of the three.

olevetonahill
7/4/2009, 09:34 PM
As being in office? Yes, it does. Are you saying you've never seen a senator or member of the House get raked over the coals?

And I'm not saying that Obama isn't getting treated rather well.

I'm saying that if you go into politics, you really shouldn't be surprised if things go south and you get ripped a new ******* in the public eye. The media might do it, your political opponents might do it, whatever. But ultimately, it's part of the job description. It just comes with the territory.

So show ME where Obama got Raked over the coals :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2009, 09:41 PM
Those SNL skits ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/4/2009, 09:48 PM
well, since you've posted more than once that you vote GOP since "they take care of you"....i don't think your perspective on national politics can be seen as anything but the most naked of self-interest.Yeah, there can't be any other reasons for anyone to think or vote conservative, haha. (Very persuasive for the collectivist argument)

Vaevictis
7/4/2009, 10:02 PM
So show ME where Obama got Raked over the coals :rolleyes:

I already conceded the point on this one, in the very same post you just quoted. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
7/4/2009, 10:16 PM
I already conceded the point on this one, in the very same post you just quoted. :rolleyes:

So ya concede By being Long winded ?:rolleyes:

Fraggle145
7/4/2009, 10:54 PM
If you're going to say that the media had nothing to do with the sway in opinion then you're even sillier than I thought

This was brought on by the fact that she was (and still is) a dumbass and showed it on national tv multiple times.

Frozen Sooner
7/5/2009, 12:46 AM
According to the FBI's spokesman, the rumors of a federal investigation into the Palins' relationship with Spenard Builders Supply aren't true. My apologies for relaying a rumor that wasn't true.

On a side note, the Palins have threatened to sue anyone who publishes said rumors for defamation.

Vaevictis
7/5/2009, 01:05 AM
All I have to say about that is: As public figures, good luck with that guys.

Okla-homey
7/5/2009, 12:32 PM
According to the FBI's spokesman, the rumors of a federal investigation into the Palins' relationship with Spenard Builders Supply aren't true. My apologies for relaying a rumor that wasn't true.

On a side note, the Palins have threatened to sue anyone who publishes said rumors for defamation.

She's a public figure. She can't win a libel suit against anyone unless she proves beyond a reasonable doubt the publisher did so maliciously while knowing, or should have known, the story was false.

Frozen Sooner
7/5/2009, 01:36 PM
She's a public figure. She can't win a libel suit against anyone unless she proves beyond a reasonable doubt the publisher did so maliciously while knowing, or should have known, the story was false.

You know that, I know that, any half-bright first year knows that. Yet the threat was made.

Frozen Sooner
7/5/2009, 01:48 PM
Here's the letter from Palin's attorney:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/07/05/release_for_7-4-09-1.pdf

StoopTroup
7/5/2009, 02:00 PM

Yeah LAS...

They are doing great so lay off. :pop:

John Sullivan Returns From Rehab
Posted: Jul 05, 2009 1:46 PM CDT Updated: Jul 05, 2009 1:55 PM CDT
Sullivan is a self-described alcoholic who voluntarily entered rehab in May.

Sullivan is a self-described alcoholic who voluntarily entered rehab in May.

NewsOn6.com

TULSA, OK -- Congressman John Sullivan has returned to Tulsa from a stint in rehab for alcoholism at the Betty Ford Clinic in California. He began rehabilitation on May 28 for a self-described binge drinking problem.

A 44-year-old Republican, Sullivan has been a U.S. representative since 2002. He has been elected to office five times. Watch The News On 6 on Monday for an extended interview with Sullivan.

Related Story 5/29/2009: John Sullivan Seeks Alcohol Treatment

Sullivan released the following letter today:

A Message from Congressman John Sullivan

I have completed my treatment at the Betty Ford Center and I am now back home. Words can't begin to describe how truly grateful I am for all the prayers, letters, kindness and love that you have expressed to me and my family.

My time at the Betty Ford Center gave me the opportunity to reflect on my life and afforded me a clearer perspective on what is truly important: God, family, friends and service to others.

Although this was certainly not what I had planned for my life it has turned out to be something that has strengthened me. I am already back to work. All of you have stood by me in this difficult time and I will stand stronger than ever for you in the US Congress.

Thank you and may God bless you and your families.

Sincerely, John Sullivan

Most countries defined the term "Binge Drinking" as a multi-day heavy drinking session during which the drinker neglects usual responsibilities and otherwise behaves recklessly. :D

Scott D
7/5/2009, 02:07 PM

accusing them of not being all that bright is still allowable right? ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/5/2009, 05:07 PM
accusing them of not being all that bright is still allowable right? ;)

They are going to sue you now. They will not tolerate such a lack of respect from a message board poster!!

Scott D
7/5/2009, 05:13 PM
It's not a rumor ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/5/2009, 05:33 PM
Just keep tacking years on to your sentence there buddy.

Okla-homey
7/5/2009, 07:30 PM
You know that, I know that, any half-bright first year knows that. Yet the threat was made.

That letter you posted put folks on notice. Therefore, publication of scurrilous material regarding its matter would be actionable.

Scott D
7/5/2009, 08:14 PM
Just keep tacking years on to your sentence there buddy.

I'm not scared, I can whup Todd Palin in a fight.

JohnnyMack
7/5/2009, 10:13 PM
She's about to hit the speaking engagement trail and raise herself some cash. The 2012 Presidential Election has begun. Oh barf.

JohnnyMack
7/5/2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah LAS...

They are doing great so lay off. :pop:

Yeah and we haven't even touched on the dip****s wasting time and money on the ten commandments display.

Frozen Sooner
7/5/2009, 10:54 PM
That letter you posted put folks on notice. Therefore, publication of scurrilous material regarding its matter would be actionable.

On notice of what? That Van Flien skipped the day they taught New York Times v. Sullivan?

yermom
7/5/2009, 11:45 PM
She's about to hit the speaking engagement trail and raise herself some cash. The 2012 Presidential Election has begun. Oh barf.

i'm thinking she's the next Beck/Limbaugh

StoopTroup
7/6/2009, 12:17 AM
Wonder if Todd will replace Smilin' Bob in the Enzyte Commercials?

KC//CRIMSON
7/6/2009, 01:20 AM
i'm thinking she's the next Beck/Limbaugh

I'm thinking she's on next month's cover of Field & Stream.

Scott D
7/6/2009, 04:54 AM
I'm thinking he's on next month's cover of Irrelevant Housewives

MrJimBeam
7/6/2009, 05:57 AM
No, I haven't been to the French Riviera, but I've tramped around the UK, Germany, Northern Italy, Spain and the Balkans. The vast majority of folks there live rather like American college students. They live in tiny apartments or rowhouses, they ride busses, bikes or drive little beaters, they take summers off, and someone else pays their doctor bills.

Easy there homey, you're ****ing up nirvana.

Harry Beanbag
7/6/2009, 08:14 AM
I still like boobs.

StoopTroup
7/6/2009, 05:21 PM
X 2 for me. :D

( O Y O )

Sooner_Havok
7/6/2009, 08:20 PM
I'm starting to think Hillary was the best choice of the three.

I wouldn't have voted for her. Even with Palin as McOld's VP. Not saying I would have voted McCain, just that I wouldn't have voted democrat if it was Hillary.

Scott D
7/7/2009, 02:23 PM
I'd vote for Todd Palin before I'd vote for Hillary.

The Remnant
7/7/2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah. It scares me that she was almost our VP. I feel much better with Joe Biden in there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/8/2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah. It scares me that she was almost our VP. I feel much better with Joe Biden in there.sure,you do.haha

Crucifax Autumn
7/8/2009, 12:41 AM
What we need is something like Pauly Shore as President and Dane Cook as VP....

Sounds crazy right?

But just think...they wouldn't be able to get a damned thing done...no damage like the 2 major parties cause no matter which one wins!

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 12:42 AM
I would impregnate SP

Crucifax Autumn
7/8/2009, 12:47 AM
I'd prefer some oral

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 01:03 AM
both........

Crucifax Autumn
7/8/2009, 01:09 AM
A2M?

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 01:10 AM
S2R only

please tell me you know what that stands for!!!!

Crucifax Autumn
7/8/2009, 01:12 AM
Send to receive?

JLEW1818
7/8/2009, 01:29 AM
lol yep

old school

Crucifax Autumn
7/8/2009, 01:35 AM
Easy enough considering my amateur porn past!

Scott D
7/8/2009, 01:11 PM
I would impregnate SP

based on her fertility it's almost a case of "who hasn't?"

ohh...too soon? ;)