PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing/funny rival stores?

badger
7/2/2009, 11:13 AM
With the offseason STILL looming, what are some of the funniest stories about rival programs players, coaches, fans, etc. that you remember?

Emphasize Big 12, but the other culprits (read: SEC, overrated Big Ten) also qualify... actually, we're bored. Include anything.

I'll start:

Mike Sherman, Texaz A&M:

A reporter overheard Aggie players joking about balls of steel and had to what was going on, when this embarrassment leaked to the public last season. Quoting an official A&M site...

"(laughing) Well, I have a fairly dry sense of humor. Most of the things I say to those guys they just look at me, and I go like this (motions hand over his head) and the coaches will know what I'm talking about. But the Bunsen burner - there were a couple of times I used the Bunsen burner. I was a little pyromaniac when I was a kid. So I think I have a tendency to gravitate towards those type of things. That one in particular was something that -- I read a lot and I always try to generate new ideas and get some (things across). You know, these kids in this day and age, and not just in college but in the NFL, you have to each week give them new motivation, new reasons to win, even in the context of a long season. In the National Football League you're talking about potentially 24 ballgames. So sometimes they lose sight of why we're doing this and why we have to win this ballgame? You try to connect them with little hooks, and it's the same thing here in college. But that particular example - we've had a couple of Bunsen burner deals. That one was something I believe I picked up from a coach at Vanderbilt, a baseball coach. You talk about three different types of people -- marshmallows, jelly beans and rocks. And what are you? You take a marshmallow, and when the heat gets turned up and adversity's in your face and the pressure's real high -- are you a marshmallow? Then we put the marshmallow over the Bunsen burner and the thing ignites and almost simultaneously combusts. (Then you ask) Okay, who's a marshmallow? If a kid doesn't have a great practice or doesn't demonstrate the integrity of practice I want, maybe he finds a marshmallow in his locker (laughter). Then there's another one where there's a jelly bean, and you hold the jelly bean in there, and eventually that succumbs to the intense heat. It doesn't burn up right away but over time it just crumbles. It just melts. It gives in to it. And then the rock, when you put that under, it's actually purified. All the impurities are burned out of it and it actually ends up being stronger in many ways because the impurities are now burned off. So the question remains and you ask them are you a marshmallow, a jelly bean or a rock. Through the course of the season I said (to them) I hope - and I think I had a steel ball at the time more than a rock -- but I said I hope that we're rocks, and not marshmallows and jelly beans. So that was the Mr. Science lesson for the day."

Here's DMN's take on it:

Burning questions: In a season of disappointments, A&M coach Mike Sherman has dug deep for motivational methods.

At a recent team meeting, Sherman got his point across by using a Bunsen burner, a small gas burner often used in science labs.

Sherman put a marshmallow, a jelly bean and a steel ball to the flame in a demonstration about dealing with adversity.

The marshmallow melted immediately

"Who's a marshmallow?" Sherman asked his players.

The jelly bean held up longer in the flame, but "over time it just crumbles," Sherman said, "just gives in to it."

But the steel ball actually improved in the flame, when "the impurities are burned out of it," Sherman said.

"He's always doing something to get the team going or spicing it up," quarterback Stephen McGee said. "Guys are laughing, but at the same time, great message."

This is why they are losing... that and water balloon fights in practice. :D

Please kill summer boredom by contributing!

badger
7/2/2009, 11:45 AM
Nobody? Well, I'll try again. This time, Macc Brown's most embarrassing moment as a coach to-date (other than losses of course) in press conference after losing to Oklahoma. He starts it off as if Chris is his equal or something...

It's a big disappointment because we lost to OU, and so far we were undefeated and it was No. 2 and No. 3. It has nothing to do with Chris and I. That's stuff is a lot more disappointing that what is said about Chris and I. We can handle it."

Chris Simms is asked about his track record against top-10 teams, which included 15 interceptions.

Simms was about to answer, when Macc stepped in.

"Chris is one of the best quarterbacks in the country. He's got big games the rest of the year and he'll play well.

The reporter thanks Macc and asked Chris for his response. Macc cut in again...

That's his response.

Another attempt to get Chris to actually talk about his poor performance was thwarted by Macc again later, this time throwing one of his players under the bus in the process of explaining one of Chrissy's THREE int's:

That wasn't Chris' fault. He's not going to say it but the receiver stopped.

This was arguably one of Macc's worst moments at Texaz...not including losses or player off-field issues.

badger
7/2/2009, 12:02 PM
I'll keep trying, because I'm keeping bored :(

Because Colorado's Dan Hawkins doesn't win much and his fans throw Colorado t-shirts on the field when the scoreboard won't stop for the other team, here's his most-memorable moment at CU to-date:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-4T26x6GZEw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-4T26x6GZEw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

humblesooner
7/2/2009, 12:31 PM
I'll pitch in for ya'
I was at the OU/Texas game last year in the Cotton Bowl.
I had to use the facilities and ended up being in the Men's Room at the same time as a Horn fan. The Horn fan was washing his hands after he finished and as I was finishing up. After zipping up, I proceeded to head for the door. When he saw me leaving, the HF asked "Say, didn't they teach you to wash your hands after peeing at OU?"
To which I quickly replied" No, they taught us not to pee on our hands".

I know, I know, it's an oldie. But I just couldn't stand to see you in here by yourself Baj.
;)

Boomer Mooner
7/2/2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQR3oNZgLgU

I'm sure everyone has seen it, but it's one of my favorites. Just watching Les talk makes me laugh.

badger
7/2/2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for not leaving a baj hanging :D I might make it through all Big 12 coaches (except for Stoops, who has no embarrassing moments to speak of) before I'm over, so here's Mark Mangino's best moment ever... yes, even better than the time he called Big 12 refs out on their BCS love for Texaz:

You f***ing hot dog!
Run in the opposite direction as fast as you can, buddy. He just called you a hot dog.

You got us a f***ing penalty, because it's all you, right? Nobody blocks for you, you did it all yourself, right?Look what the f*** you did!
(points to endzone... flag, perhaps?)

And you did it all on your own, didn't you? You did it all on your own!

His voice cracks throughout this Youtube footage, which can be seen here:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmAYpAzNB34&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zmAYpAzNB34&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The background is that Raimond Pendleton had earned the punt returning job during the spring and had not played much before then and was ready to come out strong... and he didn't act like he had been in the endzone before, because in college, he really hadn't. Mark Mangino made sure it would never happen again... and Pendleton didn't say anything to get benched after it became an Internet phenomenon:

You just take it, you know? I learned from the experience, and I won’t let it happen again.

Again, Mark Mangino's career-defining moment thus far.

Boomer Mooner
7/2/2009, 12:56 PM
Charming! Haha.

badger
7/2/2009, 12:59 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DQR3oNZgLgU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DQR3oNZgLgU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm sure everyone has seen it, but it's one of my favorites. Just watching Les talk makes me laugh.

If you like that one, you will probably also like this one:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TE_XhSybFNs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TE_XhSybFNs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boomer Mooner
7/2/2009, 01:23 PM
Yes, I've seen that one also. Watching that guy talk amuses me and irritates me all at the same time. I wonder if he over annunciates because he has a deaf brother? Whatever the reason, it really makes me crack up when he's talking and like his whole mouth moves over to one side of his face, like freakin' Popeye. I swear he even does the eye squint that makes him look more like Popeye.

And then, just when you think it can't get any better, he says something like "Let it rip!" before we rip his nutsack off. Pure Gold!

MichiganSooner
7/2/2009, 01:44 PM
This isn't necesarily funny but definitely stupid. Michigan versus Ohio State. Michigan had won the last 4 or so in a row. Ohio State finally won a game played in Columbus. After the game and throughout the night, Ohio State fans celebrated by breaking windows and burning buildings along High Street.
We had just moved to Columbus. My wife asked me, "what would they have done if they had lost?"

MichiganSooner
7/2/2009, 01:45 PM
I bet Coach Miles has a speech disability. We should show compassion.

rainiersooner
7/2/2009, 02:47 PM
This one involves a back and forth between Mike Sherman and Mike Leach - I'm sure everyone remembers it, but it is classic (as reported by Pat Forde on ESPN.com):

The April NFL draft served as the flash point for this rivalry. After former Aggies quarterback Stephen McGee capped an up-and-down college career by being selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the fourth round, famed smart-aleck Mike Leach observed, "I'm happy for Stephen McGee. The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did." That crack so irritated A&M coach Mike Sherman, who played McGee sparingly as a senior in part because of injury, that he fired back on consecutive days -- once in a statement from the school: "There is nothing Mike Leach could ever say that would offend me. I do find it unfortunate, however, that a college coach feels the need to question the handling of a player by a staff particularly without any knowledge of the facts or the extent of a player's injury. It is equally bothersome that a football coach would question the draft status of a player. This doesn't make any sense to me." Leach, feeling the muscle from owning the rivalry in recent years and always in search of the last word, got it when talking to the Lubbock Avalanche Journal: "I've always known A&M had great players. The fact that they have the luxury to put a third- or fourth-round draft pick on the bench, to me, identifies what a truly great team they are. … It's an honor for us at Texas Tech to have the opportunity to play them. There are numerous players on our team that will never get a look or play a down in the NFL, so you can imagine how exciting it is for me and them to go play a team the magnitude of Texas A&M and look over there on the bench and see third- and fourth-round draft picks." Shortly thereafter, both coaches reportedly attempted to call each other without getting through.

oudivesherpa
7/2/2009, 07:14 PM
Duffy Daughtery, former Michigan State Coach in 1974 on the OU/Texas game: "People think the game is a matter of life and death, but after seeing it, I think it's much more important than that."

oudivesherpa
7/2/2009, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=badger;2639262]With the offseason STILL looming, what are some of the funniest stories about rival programs players, coaches, fans, etc. that you remember?

Burning questions: In a season of disappointments, A&M coach Mike Sherman has dug deep for motivational methods.

At a recent team meeting, Sherman got his point across by using a Bunsen burner, a small gas burner often used in science labs.

Sherman put a marshmallow, a jelly bean and a steel ball to the flame in a demonstration about dealing with adversity.

The marshmallow melted immediately

"Who's a marshmallow?" Sherman asked his players.

The jelly bean held up longer in the flame, but "over time it just crumbles," Sherman said, "just gives in to it."

But the steel ball actually improved in the flame, when "the impurities are burned out of it," Sherman said.

Then Sherman asked, who has the steel balls and an aggie replied, OU.

Jacie
7/2/2009, 09:02 PM
This is kind of funny.

Paul Rhoads is the coach at Iowa State. He is the lowest paid coach in the Big XII. However, his contract has an incentive clause. He will be paid a bonus of $100,000 for every win in excess of seven. If the Cyclones win 8 games, he gets an extra $100,000. If they win 9 games, he pockets $200,000. An undefeated regular season is worth an extra half million!

What's the catch?

In the last 20 seasons Iowa State has won more than 7 games just once . . .

101sooner
7/3/2009, 08:30 AM
Late in the 77-0 A&M game when that Aggie (Jolley?) celebrated after making a tackle.

bent rider
7/3/2009, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=badger;2639262]With the offseason STILL looming, what are some of the funniest stories about rival programs players, coaches, fans, etc. that you remember?

I don't think any coach can top Jackie Sherrill's arranging for the castration of a bull on the practice field in Starkville before Mississippi State played the Longhorns in 1992. His goal was to demonstrate how a steer, like Bevo, came to be. Miss State won 28-10.

badger
7/3/2009, 09:28 AM
Late in the 77-0 A&M game when that Aggie (Jolley?) celebrated after making a tackle.

Jolly's now a Packer :rolleyes:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yerLvBMrDII&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yerLvBMrDII&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Another fun one on the Aggies, because Aggies are funny in general -

Rice's band is notorious for making fun of its opponents - it played the official state song of Michigan when it visited the Big House ("Oh Canada," they LOL'd), they had H0rns getting arrested to the Blues Brothers tune a few seasons ago. However, there is one opponent they cannot get away with poking fun at:

http://mob.rice.edu/history/scripts/files/1973/wherehaslittledoggone73.jpg

The Rice band came out goose stepping with the announcer speaking in a German accent ("You vill enjoy!"), the drum major wore rubber boots, but worst of all, pictured above, was the band playing "Oh where has my little dog gone" after one of their 2,000 versions of Reveille died.

The Yell Leaders could not prevent the onslaught of angry Aggie, especially since Rice somehow managed to win the game. The band hid in a tunnel while Aggies pounded on the door (restrained by Houston police), demanding to give the kids a talking-to. Rice's band was trapped in its own stadium. The band had to be snuck out in food trucks after additional police arrived to get rid of the Aggie mob.

All for what? "Conduct unbecoming a band." I'm not doing this story justice, so read it here. (http://mob.rice.edu/history/scripts/files/1973/19731129-thresher.shtml)

There's plenty more crap to be thrown around about Aggie lore - how they were pizzed when their honor of having the only mascot in the SWC to never be stolen ended, when Corps members attacked SMU cheerleaders with their swords... but we should give the other schools some time here too to be embarrassed :D

oudivesherpa
7/3/2009, 10:28 AM
I remember about 25 years ago, when OU played Rice in Norman and Coach Switzer had been stopped a few months earlier on a DWI charge. The MOB (the Rice Band-Marching Owl Band) played a song in honor of coach Switzer.
Remeber the song---The days of wine and roses.

I think Rice was down by 1/2 a hundred when they played that song. Barry could have added another 50 on 'em in the second half but he had a sense of humor and let the first three strings rest.

badger
7/3/2009, 10:50 AM
I've already told the story of Baylor lore where they took points off the board on the opening drive then never scored again - that was Guy's last season- but there is one story that precedes his time at Baylor that pretty much set the tone for his continued bad luck after the left Kentucky for Dr. Pepper country.

Kentucky was leading LSU with 11 seconds left by kicking a field goal. Kentucky sucks at football, so the celebration was already beginning. Guy Morriss was doused with Gatorade by quarterback Jared Lorenzen and seconds later, an 80-yard LSU hail mary meant it was a premature bath, and the Wildcats lost.

Guy had his signature moment in taking points off the board versus Texaz, but he also had a second-best signature moment versus A&M, when he decided to go for two to try to win at home over the Aggies, despite the fact that A&M had beaten Baylor 13 times, including 73-10 the season before... I think we all remembered how that two-point conversion turned out:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2efs0eu.jpg

In atypical Baylor fashion, the students reportedly took the goal post from the off-campus stadium on-campus to the BU president's house, who ordered a chainsaw from maintence staff to give the students souvenirs of the upset.

Fran Fran didn't shake Guy's hand after the next year's game, which the Aggies won :rolleyes:

NMSooner'80
7/3/2009, 07:21 PM
It was Nov. 5, 1977, Lewis Field in Stillwater. OU fans had endured a year's worth of taunting over the infamous 31-24 debacle in Norman, and it didn't stop the day of the rematch.

Silo Tech did hang tough and used a couple of OU turnovers to take a 28-21 lead. But Thomas Lott scored on an 80-yard run on the first play after the kickoff, and OU just rolled them after that. OU scored 40 points in less than a quarter's worth of play to eventally, 61-28.

But the truly funny part came after one of OU's five TD's in that stretch. Uwe von Schamann lined up to kick off and saw both of the OSU return men standing behind him, obviously at the wrong end of the field. As I recall, even some OSU fans seemed rather amused by that sight. Of course, OU fans were laughing hysterically about it.

2k2 c5
7/3/2009, 07:43 PM
I went in Longwhorn store once, it was funny that they weren't embarrassed.

goingoneight
7/3/2009, 08:47 PM
In Stoolwater, Agroids held up a sign that read "Another Broken Collarbone" with "ABC" highlighted.
... the game was on FSN.

badger
7/3/2009, 09:02 PM
In Stoolwater, Agroids held up a sign that read "Another Broken Collarbone" with "ABC" highlighted.
... the game was on FSN.
Based on the reference, they lost that game too, didn't they? :D

ouwasp
7/4/2009, 01:49 AM
okay, somebody needs to dig up the story of ut rb Edwin Simmons running about nekkid.....

badger
7/5/2009, 07:43 PM
Ok, ready for another? Fall is not here yet :(

Anyone who has made the trip to Boulder, Colorado knows that Buffalo fans simply do. not. care. about the action on the field.

Picture OU's pregame when the band comes out and everyone chants O-U at the beginning... now, picture our announcer telling the crowd when to chant "O-U" and hardly anyone responding. That's Colorado - they don't care about supporting, they care about heckling.

In fact, they'll turn on anything that ticks them off. There were once reports of students throwing their colorado homecoming shirts at the field when Texaz started to win by too much either last season or the season before, but they are more notorious for throwing something else at the field:

Marshmallows.

In 2002, the Tech band traveled to Boulder and these marshmallows were battery-powered. They were coin-operated... you know, to make them fly farther and hurt more when they hit their flag girl and band member targets.

Security has dealt with worse - they tend to laugh it off and just assign officials to pick up the marshmallows before the start of the second half.

Does it still go on? No idea. I haven't been up there in a few seasons. However, since the Tech band incident, Colorado has added marshmallows to the growing list of things fans are not allowed to bring in the stadium (http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2005/08/31/Marshmallows-banned-at-Colorado-football/UPI-11501125524616/). Will souvenir t-shirts be next?

NMSooner'80
7/5/2009, 11:25 PM
I also remember another Stillwater "pearl of wisdom."

In '83, the week of Bedlam was the week that Marcus Dupree bailed for the final time. The Ags, of course, had a field day with that.

Their fans also had a field day until the most famous "Poke Choke" of all the many Poke Chokes. That was the game when OSU jumped ahead 20-3, with virtually all of those points gift-wrapped for their inept offense by OU turnovers and other mistakes. Then OU scored 18 points in the final 10 minutes to win, 21-20.

If that weren't bad enough, the next issue of Sports Illustrated showed an Aggie fan holding up a sign that had to make all OSU professors of English just cringe. It read:

"Rose's Are Red,
Violet's Are Blue,
Marcus is History,
and so is OU...."

Astute, college educated readers will of course know that the plural of Rose is Roses, not Rose's (and the same for Violets). The mistake was so obvious that some folks wrote to SI and questioned the quality of education that the kid with the sign must have experienced up there. :D

OUstud
7/5/2009, 11:47 PM
I've already told the story of Baylor lore where they took points off the board on the opening drive then never scored again

What was the story on this?

badger
7/6/2009, 07:20 AM
What was the story on this?

In a nutshell...

Guy Moriss got fired a few years ago, but before he did, Baylor fans believed they actually had a chance to go out and upset Texaz. They REALLY believed when Baylor cruised on their opening drive all the way to the goal line, but had to settle for a field goal. Baylor leads, 3-0.

Penalty! Whew, it's on Texaz, so the score is still 3-0. However, with the penalty, Baylor is practically already in the endzone, so they take points off the board to try for the touchdown.

Long story short, no touchdown, total loss and Guy got fired.

EDIT: I a pretty sure this was the year Baylor lost 62-0, but I do not know for sure, as no reports I can find online now mention this... but I remember watching and thinking it defined the Guy Morriss era quite well.

OUstud
7/6/2009, 11:07 AM
Ouch.

Ok, now for my contribution:

It was October 14, 2000. OU had just beaten KSU on their home field, in a game that wasn't as close as the final score would indicate. I made a comment in passing to my mom as we were leaving the stadium, asking (in a non-obnoxious way), "Did K-State ever lead?" A VERY overweight woman dressed head to toe in purple looks at me (then 11) and snaps, "We led 7-3, so get your facts straight!" Realizing my small error, I then innocently asked her if that was when J.T. Thatcher ran back the kickoff, and we scored a play later (and never trailed again). She just kind of waddled off.

101sooner
7/6/2009, 11:21 AM
I also remember another Stillwater "pearl of wisdom."

In '83, the week of OU-OSU was the week that Marcus Dupree bailed for the final time. The Ags, of course, had a field day with that.

Their fans also had a field day until the most famous "Poke Choke" of all the many Poke Chokes. That was the game when OSU jumped ahead 20-3, with virtually all of those points gift-wrapped for their inept offense by OU turnovers and other mistakes. Then OU scored 18 points in the final 10 minutes to win, 21-20.

If that weren't bad enough, the next issue of Sports Illustrated showed an Aggie fan holding up a sign that had to make all OSU professors of English just cringe. It read:

"Rose's Are Red,
Violet's Are Blue,
Marcus is History,
and so is OU...."

Astute, college educated readers will of course know that the plural of Rose is Roses, not Rose's (and the same for Violets). The mistake was so obvious that some folks wrote to SI and questioned the quality of education that the kid with the sign must have experienced up there. :D

I was in the Pride at that game. They painted "Barry Switzer has Aids" on the street in one of the intersections, and they flew the OU flag upside-down from the press box. Then they kicked Gene Thrailkill off the sideline for not having a sideline pass.

Stupid Aggies.

badger
7/6/2009, 11:58 AM
I was in the Pride at that game. They painted "Barry Switzer has Aids" on the street in one of the intersections, and they flew the OU flag upside-down from the press box. Then they kicked Gene Thrailkill off the sideline for not having a sideline pass.

Stupid Aggies.

Aww, you're leaving out the best part! As the director was being escorted out, he reportedly told the band to play "Boomer" and not let up until the team was ahead... which OU wasn't until the very end of the game.

Barry Switzer apparently came to the band after the game and gave them the game ball.

There are lots of other fun Aggroid stories to tell, so how bout from 2004?

This is the game where Vikingesque Dusty D allegedly yelled at the OSU kicked as he was lining up and preparing to kick "This is for the Big 12 Championship!" and one wide kick later, OU is headed to the Big 12, heh... but what the television cameras didn't show you was far more humorous.

Fresh off a 52-9 Chuck Norris Roundhouse kick the year before, the student section lined those ugly orange mats - the ones the paddle boys don't stop slapping throughout the game, complete with upsidedown OU flag (thank you to your contribution to our university - you know, licensing fees and all???).

They were not just standing behind them like the rest of the game, they were sitting on them, practically on the field when that kick was about to go. Two years before, they did the exact same thing, except that the game was already in-hand and it was not a spur-of-the-moment thing. Rushing the field is so pre-nat'l title :D

Anyways, the kick soars wide left or wide right, I don't remember which. You could almost hear their ego balloons burst... the disappointment across the sea of blinding orange was in the air... and then, quickly exiting the stadium as to not be caught on I-35 for several hours.

Aggy loves rushing the field... even if it isn't their field. :mad:

101sooner
7/6/2009, 02:36 PM
Aww, you're leaving out the best part! As the director was being escorted out, he reportedly told the band to play "Boomer" and not let up until the team was ahead... which OU wasn't until the very end of the game.

Barry Switzer apparently came to the band after the game and gave them the game ball.

Yes we did and Gene kept that game ball in his office until he retired. After the game, Jimmy Johnson made a disparaging comment towards the Poke fans about how they were finally leading OU in a game in Stillwater and all he could hear was the OU band... :D

badger
7/6/2009, 02:51 PM
Yes we did and Gene kept that game ball in his office until he retired. After the game, Jimmy Johnson made a disparaging comment towards the Poke fans about how they were finally leading OU in a game in Stillwater and all he could hear was the OU band... :D

It's called coaching, 101sooner - Bob Stoops coached his fans into being outrageously loud during the Texaz Tech game.

Bob: OU fans? Well, they're supportive, but I have yet to hear them be really loud like Florida.
OU fans: You want us to be loud? WE'LL BE LOUD!

Jimmy Johnson, however, likely discovered that some fans, like some players, are just plain UNCOACHABLE.

JJ: You poke fans can't make noise like the Sooners!
Poke fans: Baaaah! Sheep no like fair weather fan cheatin' gooners... or attending non-OU games at home. Baaaaah!

;)

bakerjrb
7/6/2009, 03:31 PM
My favorite story involves OU only indirectly.

In mid-season 2003, Texas was hammering Colorado pretty good up in Boulder. During the 4th quarter, the Texas fans who had come started to chant, "Colorado sucks, Colorado sucks....."

When they reached the point of being fed up with the teasips, the Colorado band cleverly struck up a rendition of "BOOMER SOONER".

Mindful of the 65-13 a$$kicking they received in October, the Texas folks appropriately shut up.

Boomer, baby.

jrb

Jacie
7/6/2009, 04:02 PM
It was Nov. 5, 1977, Lewis Field in Stillwater.

But the truly funny part came after one of OU's five TD's in that stretch. Uwe von Schamann lined up to kick off and saw both of the OSU return men standing behind him, obviously at the wrong end of the field. As I recall, even some OSU fans seemed rather amused by that sight. Of course, OU fans were laughing hysterically about it.

I loved that! My friend and I were sitting in that endzone laughing at those two guys. They figured it out about the same time, looking at each other knowing they'd have to trot the length of the field to get in position and everyone in the stadium knowing about it. The poke fans behind me weren't too pleased about the score or that the Sooner fans, most of whom were at the other end of the field, would stand and sing Boomer Sooner after every touchdown.

Jacie
7/6/2009, 04:06 PM
okay, somebody needs to dig up the story of ut rb Edwin Simmons running about nekkid.....

Here are four posts from a Sporting News forum. I used to go over to hornfans.com and post, "What was Edwin Simmons doing in that backyard?" but I never got a reply.

Edwin Simmons
On October 8, 1983 a young freshman named Edwin Simmons ripped Oklahoma for 100 yards on only 14 carries. But the nail in the coffin was his 67-yard touchdown run, which put the Longhorns up by 18. Number 8 ranked OU never recovered. Unfortunately, Simmons was injured in the next game (I think) against Arkansas and had a blah college career after that. Simmons was from Hawkins, Texas -- just down the road here.

What a shame...he finished his career rushing for under a 1000-yards. He got caught up in the moment and thought it would all come easy after OU. He then hurt his knees and missed a lot of games. To top it off, he gets caught buck-naked in the backyard of some Alum's house in West Austin in his last year at UT.

I remember my Aggie friends cutting out newspaper photos of Simmons -- after the naked backyard affair -- and writing "Where are Edwin Simmons' clothes?" in bright blue ink on them, and posting them everywhere.

As for Edwin Simmons, my favorite was the game that was televised on ESPN where a fan had a sign that said:

E-dwin
S-immons
P-arties
N-aked.

Jacie
7/6/2009, 04:11 PM
Remember when delirious Tech fans tried to shish-kebob A&M fans with a goal post?

Fans engage in post-game brawl
Phil Riddle
Issue date: 11/4/01 Section: Campus News

Texas Tech officials are launching an investigation into altercations between Tech and Texas A&M fans, which followed the Tech-A&M football game at Jones SBC Stadium on Saturday.

"We're looking at video, and there's plenty of it," said Cindy Rugeley, vice chancellor for news and information. "Any students who are identified will be disciplined according to student policy."

Mike McKinney, Gov. Rick Perry's chief of staff, was injured in a post-game altercation following Tech's 12-0 win over A&M.

McKinney, father of Aggie center Seth McKinney, required eight stitches to close a gash caused when Raider fans punched him in the face, an Associated Press story reported late Saturday.

"It was like the Alamo," McKinney told the AP. "They were coming over the wall."

Tech fans tore down the goalpost in the south end zone following Tech's win and carried it to the north end zone where Aggie fans were seated.

According to reports, the Tech fans sent the goalpost into the stands.

Interim Chancellor Dr. David Smith said an investigation is on-going and through the use of video tape and eye-witnesses, students involved with the altercation with McKinney will be sought and, if found, punished.

Smith also said he was displeased by the incident.

"Obviously, I'm deeply disappointed by the actions of these few," he said. "The two teams played a great game and displayed a class act, but that is where that begins and ends. We have to demonstrate control in a situation like that. I have to apologize to A&M. I'm sorry it reflects on the university, but we have to be big enough to admit it and say we're sorry."

Both Smith and Rugeley said the university is evaluating security policies and plans to have a new plan in place by the time Tech hosts Oklahoma on Nov. 17, the football team's next home date.

"You have two flagship Texas universities," Rugeley said, "and it ended up looking like a third-world soccer match."

Gerald Myers, Texas Tech Director of Athletics, called the fans' behavior "an embarrassment."

"On behalf of the university, I want to apologize to Texas A&M for the behavior of a group of students who acted irresponsibly," Myers said in a statement released Saturday. "This type of behavior will not be tolerated and we will take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

"The coaches and athletes of Texas Tech and Texas A&M conducted themselves with class in a sportsmanlike manner during and after the game," he said.

Texas Tech President David Schmidly said in a written statement, the actions of the few rowdy fans drew attention away from Saturday's football game.

"It's unfortunate that a few people detracted from a great and classy performance by our student-athletes. It was a hard-fought, clean, tough football game between two good teams," he said.

No arrests were made in connection with the incident. Texas Tech campus police Sunday were forwarding all calls to the office of News and Information.

According to a spokesman, Lubbock Police Department, which supplies manpower for traffic control and security outside Jones SBC Stadium at Texas Tech games, does not work inside the stadium.

Saturday's incident was a flashback to 1999 when the same goal post was torn down when the Raiders upset the then-No. 5 Aggies, 21-19

badger
7/6/2009, 05:14 PM
I think it's fair to say that Tech has no control over their students and that the only thing that will bring the students under control is if they win so often that rushing the field and ripping down goalposts will no longer be fun and exciting

cheezyq
7/6/2009, 05:25 PM
MU isn't really a "rival", but I was at the Chiefs/Seahawks game the day after OU went to Columbia and won 26-10. I wore my OU gear to the Chiefs game, of course, and as I walked up to the concessions an MU fan was hassling me about how MU will beat us the next year (which, of course, they lost two more times to us in their greatest season ever). He proceeded to give me crap until two very hawt OU fans approached me, saying that they used to be OU cheerleaders, that they're huge OU fans, etc. We exchanged hugs, clinked our beers to a Boomer Sooner, etc.

After a few minutes they walk away and that same MU fan who was giving me crap says, "Dude, can I be a Sooner fan too?"

;)

badger
7/7/2009, 07:32 AM
Before the era of "He's in, are you," it was pretty much a given that we were gonna beat Texaz Tech, whether the game was here or there.

The final away game in Lubbock for us before "he's in" was in 2003. We won, of course, but Tech stadium officials obviously have had issues controlling their students, so they were taking no chances.

IMMEDIATELY, upon the end of the game, the goalpost in front of us OU fans came down and the security surrounded it. They starred at us, we starred back at them. No, Tech idiots, we are not going to rush your crappy field. Give it a rest.

Two years later, they did the exact same thing after "he's in," except because the game was only decided by a few points, a botched ref call later they had to line up for an extra point... and yes, re-raise the goal post on the opposite end for the final play. They didn't both raising the one on our end... they didn't want to take any chances with us crazy OU fans rushing the field in outrage of botched ref calls, I guess.

NMSooner'80
7/7/2009, 01:24 PM
This isn't related to a specific OU sporting event, but I thought was kind of funny at the time - and reflective of the anti-OU people from within the state.

A girl I grew up around, off an on until high school, came from an anti-OU family. Her dad played small-college basketball at a couple of then-NAIA schools, and he seemed to have a grudge against OU for some reason (I assume it was because he never played there).

They lived in the town where I was born, but not where I grew up - but we usually hung out like a couple of cousins when we did go visit my grandmother in the same town. For some reason, around the time we were high school juniors, she felt a need to tell me everything that was wrong with OU and how great it was at OSU (even though she never went to OSU, she just sort of adopted them). I came from an OU family and did go to OU all four years. More of her talk centered around how awful a place that OU was, in her mind.

After a few minutes, I'd finally got in a word in edgewise. "You know why OU fans don't like OSU? It's because all they do is badmouth OU non-stop."

You'd have thought I pulled something completely out of thin air. She reacted as if she had no notion of that little fact, about how OSU fans seemed to rag on OU more than they wanted to build up their school (and seconds after she'd just done that very thing). And this was around 1975....

SoonerInFortSmith
7/7/2009, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VytIZZzee0
Can't believe nobody has brought up Jenny Carllson.

Boomer Mooner
7/7/2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VytIZZzee0
Can't believe nobody has brought up Jenny Carllson.

That's garbage!

nativesooner
7/7/2009, 06:13 PM
A few years back a friend and I went to celebrate July 4th at Lake Texoma on the Texas side. Of course we were donning our OU gear and noticed two ladies dressed in Texas Tech gear pointing and heading our way. These two ladies were about as attractive as 55 gallon barrels and had about that same build. :eek: Unfotunately no amount of alcohol could have helped! They came over and introduced themselves and proceeded to flirt. My buddy and I thought we'd be cordial for a minute before we said we saw our friends on the other side and started sprinting for the door. About the time we were going to bail, two hottie girls wrapped tightly in Texas A&M half shirts came over to us and said "here's your beer babe!" The Tech girls looked at them and looked at us for a minute and then said their goodbyes. We thanked the A&M girls and offered to pay them back in drinks and dances for the rest of the evening. They accepted our offer and we wound up leaving with them. Sure it was kind of dumb but we were young and they were HOT. Later that night both my friend and I got to hear their version of the Aggie Yell. :D

NMSooner'80
7/8/2009, 04:38 PM
This might qualify. When I lived in OKC during the '85-87 football seasons, I'd listen to WWLS-AM radio for sports talk. They had two regulars who should have been an embarrassment to every OSU fan in the metro area.

Doc D: spouted stuff like "Zero-U is the third-best program in the state," thorughout the 1985 season. It took the Ice Bowl to shut him up, at least until baseball season. Doc also invented disrespectful quotes from rival coaches - like saying Lou Holtz (then of Minnesota) was overheard talking smack about how OU was about the fifth-best team they'd play....

Rick from Duncan: the ultimate goob. He did pass himself off for a time (to anyone who wasn't really paying attention) as a disgruntled OU sports fan. But, he finally let it slip that he was an Aggie. Some of his pearls included:
- "OSU ('87) is just a better football team. The Sooners will find that out, then go get bombed by Nebraska." (he also said we'd lose seven in a row, starting with '87 Bedlam).
- He said he ran into Dewell Brewer at the Lawton Downtown Mall, and said Brewer told him he was going to OSU.
- Predicted the '86 Sooners were going to get embarrassed by UCLA in the season opener (won by OU, 38-3 - and the Dizzylanders didn't deserve the FG they got, really). After all, "OU can't stop a passing attack...."

journeyman
7/8/2009, 10:07 PM
Doc D and Rick from Duncan...are those losers still around?

MrJimBeam
7/9/2009, 06:38 AM
I was standing in line to buy a couple of beers after the '03 Texas game and was pretty lit'up at this point. I think I ordered 3 or 4 beer and when the carney gave me the total I had to ask him to repeat because one; I was deeerunk and two; there were a couple of nice looking coeds standing in line checking me out. At least I think they were good looking, again I was wasted. Anyway, the carney gave me a hard time because I had to ask for my tab twice. The carney gave me a toothy grin and said, " old Okie has a hard time counting how many beers he's got". My drunken reply was, "yeah, well I'm tired from counting to 65." He laughed, I laughed, the coed's ran the other way fast and I passed out 4 hours later....alone.

badger
7/9/2009, 07:30 AM
I've kept the stories to Big 12, but since they played us a few years ago, this will qualify, I guess...

We visited UCLA a few years ago... 2005 I think. It was the Bomar season. We beat them when they came here, but wow, I was sick that weekend. However, it would be foolish to pass up another opportunity to go to the Rose Bowl, no?

Anyway, the funniest thing before the game and before the second half - UCLA has a yell leader.

Wha.....?

Seriously, they had an old alum dressed up in their baby blue and gold garb that was yelling at the crowd in a drill sergeant-like voice, telling them how they're going to beat the Sooners in the upcoming game/half. Then he concludes with stuff like...

"Who are we?!"
(Crowd: The Bruins!)
"Who does America want us the be?!"
(Crowd: The Bruins!)

I mean... w...t...f. If Ric Neuheisel wasn't coaching, I bet he would have this yell leader job.

Also, anyone who attended Oregon, Washington or the UCLA game can attest to it - west coast schools are funny early in the season because school's not in session. Half their student section's empty. Tee hee.

badger
7/10/2009, 09:45 AM
Is it Friday? It is? Ok, then, the story that many of you have already heard that I happened to witness firsthand...

Big arse Nebbish linemen were doing locking drills while the Ruf Neks lines the endline and the Ruf Nek pledges were doing the grunt work... reloading pop guns, getting the Ruf Neks water, etc.

I happened to be on the field where the big arse locking drills were going on, noticing how close they were coming toward us, so I back off a little to the corner.

Out of nowhere, one of these locking drills turns for the worse - a Nebbish big arser does not stop when he hits the sideline like his teammates, but rather, keeps going into one of these Ruf Nek pledges, who was facing the field, but is knocked backward into the brick wall that separates the student section from the field.

The Ruf Nek pledge looks up at the Nebbish big arser, who is staring him down, not saying anything... and the Ruf Nek pledge's mouth starts bleeding.

The Nebbish big arser jogs off, not apologizing, not getting help, like nothing happened. However, this game has a happy ending, despite this rough start to gameday: oranges.

Oranges flew in after virtually every touchdown, like karma on the big arser bug eater (who was arrested after the game, later cleared of charges from lack of evidence). Eventually, it got to be too much for the game officials, for then-Nebbish coach Bill Callahan (Who memorably called the OU fans "f***ing hillbillies" on his way out) and even Bob Stoops.

In the closing seconds, as Nebbish was still scoreless and with the ball, oranges were filling the air... the announcer pleaded with the crowd to stop... then the flags came. Nebraska, through orange-pelting penalties, was in field goal range.

Bob Stoops came onto the field, grabbed an orange, and demanded that the crowd stop... to no avail.

Callahan, in his constant pettiness, kicks a revenge field goal to end the game and not break the streak of Nebraska not scoring (I think this streak later ended under his watch). Oranges - and now load choruses of boos - filled the stadium, as the oranges seemed to now be aimed directly for the visitors and their audacity in kicking that field goal with the game outta reach regardless.

Since this game, Oklahoma fans have been much more discrete about their fruit pelting... but it will never go away completely. Just remember... it all started with a big arse husker and the oranges were merely karma biting back :D

SoonerInFortSmith
7/10/2009, 11:58 AM
That's garbage!

Explain yourself!

Leroy Lizard
7/11/2009, 06:03 AM
Fred Ward of UT told his story about his kick that tied the game against OU in 1984. As he was being congratulated, he told one of his fellow teammates that, for some odd reason, kicking that football felt like kicking a brick. One of his teammates retrieved the ball and showed it to him. He turned it over and it read "University of Oklahoma Athletic Department." Switzer had apparently snuck it into the game in an effort to make him miss.

Not sure if it is true, but I kind of hope it is.

SoonerBacker
7/11/2009, 07:31 AM
It was the Friday night before the RRS game in 2002. My friends and I took a 3' x 5' saexT State flag with us that I had prepared for the event. The Star had an interlocking OU painted on it in red. The white stripe was adorned with the word "KICK" in red and the white stripe said "texASS!" in white. WE located ourselves right next to a group of Dallas cops and then stood there with the flag unfurled as Whorn and Sooner fans paraded by. The Whorns were obviously upset by it, but since the DPD was right beside us, there was nothing they could do about it.

To be honest, I wasn't really sure how the DPD would react to the defacement of the state flag, but they just stood by without a comment.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/12/2009, 09:43 AM
What about that time (pretty recent) when KU (KSU?) was punting to us and they snapped the ball into their endzone... the punter where nowhere to be seen

badger
7/12/2009, 12:08 PM
Someone mentioned it on a different thread, so let's bring it here, shall we?

Texaz A&M might have lost to us 77-0 a few years back, but the game was in Norman. It is an entirely different story when the game is at College Station, where Fran Fran would fake both field goal and punt one year and have both go for touchdowns... they still lost, but still :D

The infamous season of 2006 was memorable because of ENA, because of Texaz sucking against the Aggies (12-7!) to result in OU going to (and winning!) another Big 12 championship... but the ending play in the OU-Aggie game in College Station was a play that was flat-out hilarious!

It was fourth down and not-too-far-before-a-first-down. Bob Stoops was about to send out the punt team, but he looked into the eyes of Paul Thompson, the guy who switched positions three times for the good of the team, and the rest of his offense, and was like "No, we can't take these guys off the field!" and Saint Bob the Great decreed "We are going for the first down and NOT punting!"

A&M stacked the line, as did OU... but there was a sole A&M defender a few yards back... you know, in case we decided to pass... or punt (???).

The problem was that this misplaced defender was the 12th man for the Aggies on the field... and regardless of Aggie traditions or legends or lores, you cannot have 12 guys on the field.

OU would have had the first down with or without the 12th man penalty to end the game, but none can argue that the 12th man lost it for A&M that day... at the Home of the 12th Man (copyright, trademarked, etc. etc. etc.)

goingoneight
7/12/2009, 09:56 PM
Remember when the BIG East Champs thought they'd pull a Boise Statue of Liberty on us? Heh... good times.

badger
7/12/2009, 10:01 PM
Remember when the BIG East Champs thought they'd pull a Boise Statue of Liberty on us? Heh... good times.

The boos that followed were equal to those received by that player from Washington with the last name "Bomar"

soonerinabilene
7/12/2009, 10:31 PM
I went to the 45-12 loss to texas. Only OU/TX game ive ever been able to go to. As we are leaving, the horn fans are acting like they hadnt beaten us in 5 years, for good reason, because they hadnt, and one of the fags walking behind actually says "Maybe that Peterson queer can make it in the CFL. That fudgepacker wont hold Vince's jock in the nfl." I laugh everytime i see a Vikings box score next to a Titans box score.

OUstud
7/13/2009, 02:15 AM
The boos that followed were equal to those received by that player from Washington with the last name "Bomar"

Heh I forgot about that. Each time his name was called the boos grew louder, from a murmur like "Did he just say Bomar?" to an all-out verbal assault.

SoonerDood
7/13/2009, 07:57 AM
I went to the 45-12 loss to *Texas*. Only OU/TX game ive ever been able to go to. As we are leaving, the horn fans are acting like they hadnt beaten us in 5 years, for good reason, because they hadnt, and one of the fags walking behind actually says "Maybe that Peterson queer can make it in the CFL. That fudgepacker wont hold Vince's jock in the nfl." I laugh everytime i see a Vikings box score next to a Titans box score.

Heh. That same year the Mrs. and I were leaving and two UT students (obviously didn't remember the 5-in-a-row) said, "Hope you enjoy the Holiday Bowl OU!" I turned around and said, "Well Texas fans know all about how to enjoy the Holiday Bowl! Then the little kids got all defensive and ran off.:texan:

King Crimson
7/13/2009, 08:07 AM
one of my neighbors is good guy. he's from Chicago but moved to Austin as a kid. he's a big horns guy. since the VY NC he's all-horns 24/7. before that he used to wear UCLA gear and Bulls stuff. he's a brother.

we were talking the other day and he was popping off and i said "you know, the last national championship UT won was an all-white team".

not a student of history, he kind of balked at that. heh.

badger
7/13/2009, 08:25 AM
Heh I forgot about that. Each time his name was called the boos grew louder, from a murmur like "Did he just say Bomar?" to an all-out verbal assault.

His full name was Taj Bomar and I think he was black... I heard from people that listened the Bob Barry broadcast of the game that BB decided to clarify to fans after one of the rounds of boos that Taj was "No relation to Rhett."

You hardcore fans may also remember this as the game where DJ Wolfe got beat so badly by a Warsh WR that Stoops gave him several earfulls... and DJ never played CB again.

badger
11/16/2009, 12:42 PM
This is kind of funny.

Paul Rhoads is the coach at Iowa State. He is the lowest paid coach in the Big XII. However, his contract has an incentive clause. He will be paid a bonus of $100,000 for every win in excess of seven. If the Cyclones win 8 games, he gets an extra $100,000. If they win 9 games, he pockets $200,000. An undefeated regular season is worth an extra half million!

What's the catch?

In the last 20 seasons Iowa State has won more than 7 games just once . . .

I can't believe I'm digging this up months later, but ISU deserves it. They've had a bonus-worthy season. Yay, Cyclones.