PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lonesome Dove series...

Curly Bill
7/2/2009, 01:08 AM
Just ordered the four books in the series. Especially interested in the thoughts of anyone that might have read them, but everyone feel free to opine.

Should I read them in the order they were written?

or

Should I read them in chronological order of the story?

TIA

TUSooner
7/2/2009, 11:38 AM
Somebody answer him! I want to know too.

I was thinking last night I should read them. I'm getting tried of these "hard-boiled detective" things I found for nothing.

FWIW, I would probably read them in chronological order of the story.

LePetomaine
7/2/2009, 12:27 PM
Read them in the order written. I understand following the story on its timeline, but I think you miss the nuances and beauty of McMurtry's writting if you don't read his way.

Curly Bill
7/2/2009, 03:20 PM
Read them in the order written. I understand following the story on its timeline, but I think you miss the nuances and beauty of McMurtry's writting if you don't read his way.

Sounds like you have read them then?

journeyman
7/2/2009, 06:50 PM
Have only read the first one. It is excellent. The part about how the "Hat Creek" sign came to be is worth the entire price of the book.

LePetomaine
7/3/2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds like you have read them then?

Yes. The characters are wonderful -- if only I could write like that.

Curly Bill
7/27/2009, 11:04 PM
Yup, reading them in the order written is the way to go. I read Lonesome Dove, and then Streets of Laredo. Started on Dead Man's Walk last night.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/27/2009, 11:52 PM
Not to be the fly in the ointment, but read 'em in chronological order. I understood Call and Gus tons better going into Lonesome Dove having done so instead of just writing the Captain off as a bitter old bastard.

To this day Comanche Moon is one of my favorite books. Ever. If you don't start here you're screwing yourself.