PDA

View Full Version : NBA Free Agency and Trades

JLEW1818
7/1/2009, 06:49 PM
Pistons agree with Gordon, Villanueva

The Detroit Pistons struck first Wednesday, getting commitments from their top two free-agent targets, Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

Gordon agreed to a five-year, $55 million deal, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. Villanueva, the source said, also has committed to the Pistons, though details were still being worked out. Free agents could begin negotiating deals at midnight Wednesday, but can't sign them until July 8, after the salary cap and luxury tax for 2009-10 are agreed upon by the league and players association.

JLEW1818
7/1/2009, 06:49 PM
well the Pistons must not be happy with the 8 seed...... Iverson will get the boot, and so will Rip

Scott D
7/1/2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not happy with the Pistons.

Gordon's as much of a cancer as Iverson...and word is that Joe D is going to give in to Doug Collins begging for the job. Bet the ******* quits halfway through a season again.

Eielson
7/1/2009, 08:09 PM
Does this mean the Bucks aren't going to have a team next year?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2792.jpg

Is there an uglier athlete?

JLEW1818
7/2/2009, 02:25 AM
Does this mean the Bucks aren't going to have a team next year?

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2792.jpg

Is there an uglier athlete?

the only guy i can think of is Adam Morrison??? ish?lol:D :D :D

JLEW1818
7/2/2009, 02:48 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and let you guys know this right now .... b/c i got inside sources...

RON ARTEST IS LEAVING HOUSTON.... 2:48 A.M.

that is all

JLEW1818
7/2/2009, 06:13 PM
ARTEST TO THE LAKERS

JLEW1818
7/2/2009, 09:15 PM
Trevor Ariza to the Houston Rockets.

Scott D
7/2/2009, 09:54 PM
that should be an interesting meltdown.

JLEW1818
7/2/2009, 09:56 PM
first step the rockets gotta take. we will be a 6-10 seed in the west. during 2009...

Dwade in 2010... hehe

Eielson
7/3/2009, 06:45 AM
Wow, this is awful. I don't know how anybody who wasn't already a fan could like the Lakers. We now have possibly the two biggest ****** bags in the league...and they don't like eachother.

I could see if he were noticably cheaper, but not at basically the same price.

Scott D
7/3/2009, 09:33 AM
We'll trade you Ben Gordon and you can have 3 of the biggest ****** bags in the league. :)

Scott D
7/3/2009, 10:50 AM
*happy dance* No Doug Collins return to Detroit.

JLEW1818
7/3/2009, 10:51 AM
Wow, this is awful. I don't know how anybody who wasn't already a fan could like the Lakers. We now have possibly the two biggest ****** bags in the league...and they don't like eachother.

I could see if he were noticably cheaper, but not at basically the same price.

Kobe and Ron create the best defense perimeter in the NBA .... not to mention two 7 footers behind them....and a vet point guard..... besides Ron is coming to LA to win rings... trust me, him and Kobe are friends. Odom will resign too.

Nobody will beat a healthy Lakers team.... not even close in the playoffs.

and obviously the Lakers think Ron Artest is better than Ariza... which he is...

for all people know Ariza could be a fluke... at least you know what your getting with Artest.

By far the best move of the offseason.

JLEW1818
7/3/2009, 02:28 PM
Hedo Turkoglu going to Portland...

wow the west is good now

JLEW1818
7/4/2009, 09:55 AM
Turkoglu ditches Portland to go to the Raptors.... who would wanna go to Canada...???

Free agent forward Hedo Turkoglu changed his mind Friday and decided not to join the Portland Trail Blazers, opting instead to accept a five-year $53 million offer from the Toronto Raptors, sources told ESPN.com.

The decision left the Blazers livid and was a huge coup for the Raptors, who have promised Turkoglu all of the salary-cap space they will have from renouncing their rights to Shawn Marion, Anthony Parker and Carlos Delfino, which will likely add up to a starting salary in the $10.1 million range, with eight percent annual raises.

Scott D
7/4/2009, 10:21 AM
Well, Toronto has a relatively large Turkish community, is closer to Turkey, and is a more "Cosmopolitan" setting than Portland.

JLEW1818
7/4/2009, 10:55 AM
LOL

JLEW1818
7/5/2009, 11:10 PM
Rasheed Wallace is joining the Boston Celtics, giving the Celtics one of the most important free agents on the marketplace as they attempt to return to the championship.

Bill Strickland, Wallace's agent, told the Boston Herald and the Boston Globe on Sunday night that the 34-year-old forward told him to call off meetings the agent was in the process of scheduling with the Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks.

JLEW1818
7/5/2009, 11:11 PM
Boston is the fav in the East... i don't care what any of the Lebron butt buddies say.....

Curly Bill
7/5/2009, 11:32 PM
Yup, Boston should be favored in the East, assuming KG comes back healthy.

JLEW1818
7/5/2009, 11:38 PM
yep, gotta have KG healthy...

Projected lineup

PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Paul Pierce
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Kendrick Perkins

Wallace and Big Baby off the bench.....

YIKES

Scott D
7/6/2009, 04:56 AM
Rasheed won't be coming off the bench.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 11:25 AM
you think he will be starting over Perkins???

Scott D
7/6/2009, 12:16 PM
At some point, be it early or during the season..yes.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 12:34 PM
i got a feeling Wallace will be like the Odom of the Lakers..... Bynum starts, but Odom comes in and plays more minutes... and Gasol goes to the 5...

I see something of that nature.?

Scott D
7/6/2009, 05:37 PM
Rasheed's been playing the 5 for the Pistons for most of his career. That's the main reason I can see him starting over Perkins.

JLEW1818
7/6/2009, 06:21 PM
rumor is Big Baby and the Spurs are about to reach an agreement... if so my strength of teams is.....

1)Lakers
2)Celtics
3)Spurs
4)Magic
5)Cavs

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 12:40 PM
Marion to Dallas

Mavs owner Mark Cuban has said for months he was prepared to be as aggressive as possible this summer as opposed to waiting for the free-agent bonanza of 2010, when Dallas was initially expected to have substantial cap space. With these moves, Dallas can start Marion at small forward next to Dirk Nowitzki and shift Josh Howard to shooting guard, with Sixth Man Award winner Jason Terry staying in a bench role. The Mavericks also believe they will have a strong small-ball unit when they elect not to play Gortat or Erick Dampier, featuring Howard at small forward, Marion at power forward and Nowitzki at center.

can you really win a ring like that? negative

Scott D
7/9/2009, 12:47 PM
I'd say right now the expected movement of 2010 is going to be 95% hype and 5% actual.

Curly Bill
7/9/2009, 12:47 PM
The Mavericks are likely better with this trade, but no, they're no threat to win a ring.

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 02:44 PM
I'd say right now the expected movement of 2010 is going to be 95% hype and 5% actual.

yep... but i do see Lebron leaving..... if he was gonna stay... why not sign a contract extension right now?

Dwade to Houston ....pppp please!!!!

lol

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 03:03 PM
lol, Trevor Ariza to wear jersey number 1...... tmacs number!!! haha

http://bit.ly/9Z7Yu

i think its fake... or just temporary...

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 04:29 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed on a multiyear deal with free agent Anderson Varejao.

The deal is worth $42.5 million over six years, and the final year is only partially guaranteed. Incentives could push the total amount to $50 million.

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry announced the signing Thursday afternoon. The 6-11 center/forward from Brazil has played five years in the NBA, all with the Cavaliers.

JLEW1818
7/9/2009, 04:30 PM
something tells me he is not that good.... and is a big flopper... Shaq and LBJ will be gone after next year... enjoy Cleveland...

Scott D
7/9/2009, 05:48 PM
yep... but i do see Lebron leaving..... if he was gonna stay... why not sign a contract extension right now?

Dwade to Houston ....pppp please!!!!

lol

The more I think about it, you're going to see the offseason after this year early on as a time of salary dumping. LeBron might not have a choice but to probably stay in Cleveland and the same with Wade staying in Miami. What is very likely are those potential free agents signing 2-3 year deals in hopes that the economy has recovered to the point where the salary cap is growing again instead of shrinking like it's expected to continue.

Eielson
7/11/2009, 02:17 PM
Kobe and Ron create the best defense perimeter in the NBA

Create? If they are the best perimeter defense now, they already were with Ariza.

not to mention two 7 footers behind them....and a vet point guard.....

Had that without Artest.

trust me, him and Kobe are friends.

Those two guys probably don't even have any friends.

Odom will resign too.

More likely to have if we had Ariza.

Nobody will beat a healthy Lakers team....

Who were the NBA Champs last season?

and obviously the Lakers think Ron Artest is better than Ariza...

The Lakers are better with Ariza. I'd rather have a good team than have good players.

for all people know Ariza could be a fluke... at least you know what your getting with Artest.

Yeah, a ****** bag.

By far the best move of the offseason.

No.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 03:17 PM
lol, are you kidding me??? Ariza had a good postseason... and now everyone thinks he's the ****? hahaha.. (leave it to dumbass sports fans, to get sold on people after 1 season......)

Ron Artest is a 2nd team all NBA defensive player.... and Kobe is all NBA first team Defense....him and Kobe do create the best defense perimeter game.... last year Artest and Battier created that....

Ron Artest makes the lakers better... if you don't think so... idk what your smoking???

Obviously the Lakers know way more than we do... and they obviously wanted Artest over Ariza..... just saying.... Artest will now guard the star players... and Kobe won't have to guard the stars anymore..

I don't see how your a Lakers fan first of all... let's just get that out there.... and secondly, if your a Lakers fan, and you don't like Kobe or Artest... how are your really a Laker fan? lol

Anyway... go ahead and add 4 more wins for the Lakers this year.

so are you trying to say the Lakers are not as good now?

Scott D
7/11/2009, 03:21 PM
What? all he said was that Kobe and Artest don't have many friends, much less likely be friends with each other. Remember, what Kobe said in talking to the cops in Denver lost him more than a few friends in the NBA if they were friends of his in the first place.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 03:24 PM
I don't like Kobe Bryant... but he didn't rape anyone....

he said the Lakers are better with Ariza... and they are not....

If it's not broke don't fix it?? not true in this case... When other teams upgrade (spurs, boston, magic, cavs). Lakers had to upgrade.....

Maybe Ariza looked good, b/c he was on a good team??? Artest is good and proven, and now on a good team...

Scott D
7/11/2009, 03:28 PM
I didn't say he raped anyone. It was his outing of other players activities in regards to hotels and groupies and the such.

There are two facts though jlew. Ariza was a role player who did that role very well last season, was he a flash in the pan? we'll find out. Artest hasn't won anything anywhere he's been...he's sort of a healthier crazier less skilled Vince Carter at this stage.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 03:33 PM
He's never been on a "great" team... the closest he was, was with Indy... before he ran up in the stands.. haha.. he is a different guy now tho..

And he did Lead the Rockets to 7 games against the Lakers. with no tracy or yao..... Ron average 17, 5, and 3 last year.. that can't hurt adding him to the Lakers...

But my main point is.. the Lakers must not think Ariza is that good, or worth the money.... or why wouldn't they offer him more?

And I'm a rockets fan, and I'm glad we got Ariza... but it's not like I'm expecting him to be the face of OUr Franchise or anything... he is a good start.. now we need to get a Face in 2010.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 03:34 PM
In other news, Bass signed with the Magic...

PG: Nelson
SG: Carter
SF: Lewis
PF: Bass
C : Howard

yikes!!!

Scott D
7/11/2009, 06:34 PM
nice thing about that starting 5 for the magic. You know at least one player in that group will disappear in crunch time.

JLEW1818
7/11/2009, 06:39 PM
yep.

Eielson
7/12/2009, 04:15 PM
lol, are you kidding me??? Ariza had a good postseason... and now everyone thinks he's the ****? hahaha.. (leave it to dumbass sports fans, to get sold on people after 1 season......)

It wasn't just the postseason. Right away Ariza came in and made an impact after the trade, but then he broke his foot. As the season went on he got better and better and began turning heads before the postseason ever started. It was kinda cool that Kobe wasn't the best athlete on the team for the first time in a long while.

I think you're trying to fit a circle in a square hole, here. Whenever you have somebody like Kobe, and big men like Odom (hopefully), Gasol, and one of the most highly regarded young big men this position is going to be meant for a role player. Ariza filled that role player position last year about as well as you can, and better than Artest will be able to.

Last post season, Artest played in only two series, but had 18 shots more than Ariza, and made 12 less. If he's going to be the role player he needs to be (and never really has been outside of maybe Chicago), he's going to have to settle for a similar amount of shots. How do you think he is going to like that?

I don't see how your a Lakers fan first of all... let's just get that out there.... and secondly, if your a Lakers fan, and you don't like Kobe or Artest... how are your really a Laker fan? lol

I'm not going to answer this every time we talk about the Lakers. Isn't this like the third time you've asked this?

so are you trying to say the Lakers are not as good now?

Haven't I said this?

Eielson
7/12/2009, 04:17 PM
In other news, Bass signed with the Magic...

PG: Nelson
SG: Carter
SF: Lewis
PF: Bass
C : Howard

yikes!!!

I thought last year's lineup looked better.

JLEW1818
7/12/2009, 05:14 PM
Artest will fill the role he is suppose to fill... Phil Jackson and company just wouldn't risk that...

Well see how good Ariza is on the Rockets, with nobody around him....

Artest is a better offensive player than Ariza
Artest is a better defensive player than Ariza
Artest is a better basketball player than Ariza..

Your the only person I've heard (including all espn) that thinks the Lakers won't be as good.

Eielson
7/12/2009, 07:09 PM
Your the only person I've heard (including all espn) that thinks the Lakers won't be as good.

Yeah, and we should listen to everything ESPN says and not think for ourselves!

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 02:24 PM
Odom testing free agency.. .think the Lakers can match?

Eielson
7/15/2009, 02:42 PM
Odom testing free agency.. .think the Lakers can match?

I don't know, but I'm starting to like the sign-and-trade possibilities. I wouldn't even be upset if we did an Odom for Beasley deal. The other idea being floated around is Odom for Howard. I would be upset with that, but it's better than nothing.

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 02:48 PM
lol... which Howard?

Eielson
7/15/2009, 04:16 PM
lol... which Howard?

Josh Howard.

I liked him at first, but...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/091708dnspomavslede.112d818.html

"Star Spangled Banner is going on right now. I don't even celebrate that (bleep) because I'm black. God (bleep) national anthem."

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 04:42 PM
yup..

they asked Kobe about signing Odom... Kobe said "we better"

I'd consider him signed soon.

Eielson
7/15/2009, 04:52 PM
It sounds like Odom wants to be a Laker, but he has a greedy agent.

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 05:08 PM
yah, he wants like 9 or 10 million a year... is he really worth that? I mean i know lakers have the money for extra taxes and stuff.

Curly Bill
7/15/2009, 05:10 PM
yah, he wants like 9 or 10 million a year... is he really worth that? I mean i know lakers have the money for extra taxes and stuff.

Not close to being worth that.

JLEW1818
7/15/2009, 05:19 PM
and he wants a 5 year.. .thats the kicker...

3 year 27 million..... maybe

Curly Bill
7/15/2009, 05:20 PM
He can want in one hand and crap in the other...

Scott D
7/15/2009, 05:25 PM
and curly bill's will fill up faster ;)

Eielson
7/15/2009, 06:09 PM
I don't see a problem with 3 year, 30 million. 5 years, 45 million would suck, though. I'm liking the Beasley option more and more.

JLEW1818
7/17/2009, 06:09 PM
Yao out for all of next season... ha

JLEW1818
7/22/2009, 06:28 PM
Odom

Strong rumor. Contract apparently at $40 million for 4 years.

Quote:
Respected blogger and CEO of BlackSportsOnline Robert Littal has posted a breaking news story that Lamar Odom will re-sign with the Lakers for 4 yeas and a cool $40 million.

"The change of heart came after Lamar reached out to Dr. Jerry Buss. The two of them had a close door meeting in Las Vegas yesterday where they were able to reach an agreement."

http://www.faniq.com/article/Lamar-...-Lakers-1746454

Eielson
7/22/2009, 07:36 PM
I'd rather it be 3 years, but will be happy just to sign him.

JLEW1818
7/30/2009, 05:12 PM
Free agent forward Lamar Odom will return to the Los Angeles Lakers, an NBA source said Thursday.

One source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com the four-year deal is worth $33 million if the Lakers exercise the final season.

One source close to the process said Odom will come away with a guaranteed $27 million from the new contract, matching the original value of the three-year, $27 million deal Lakers owner Jerry Buss pulled off the table earlier this month.

It's believed that the structure of the new deal calls for Odom to earn $25 million over the first three seasons, with the Lakers owing him $2 million in the fourth year if they elect not to pick up their team option.

Reached Thursday evening, Odom's agent Jeff Schwartz declined to discuss specifics but confirmed that the sides have an agreement in principle.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak declined comment.

Odom's signing was the most significant free agent move left to play out this summer, as it restores a pivotal piece to the Lakers' championship team. The versatile, 6-foot-9 Odom averaged 11.3 points and 8.2 rebounds during the regular season and 12.3 points and 9.1 rebounds during the playoffs, despite injuring his back in a fall during the Western Conference semifinals against Houston.

Odom's destination for the 2009-10 season had remained in doubt after the Lakers pulled an initial offer of a reported $27 million guaranteed over three years off the table. As the other franchises with significant salary cap space spent their money elsewhere, the Miami Heat emerged as a serious contender for Odom's services. On Tuesday, the Portland Trail Blazers also got into the mix.

With Dwyane Wade publicly lobbying for Odom to rejoin him in South Beach, the Heat offered a deal worth up to $34 million over five years. The fact that Odom didn't jump at it despite the cooled tone of negotiations with the Lakers indicated his desire to return to Los Angeles, and the longer the saga dragged out the greater the chances seemed that he would be back.

With Odom back in the fold the Lakers would have their top five scorers and top four rebounders from the 2009 championship on the roster to begin the title defense. The only significant loss is forward Trevor Ariza, who left to sign a contract with the Houston Rockets after the Lakers signed former Rocket Ron Artest.

J.A. Adande and Marc Stein are NBA reporters for ESPN.com. ESPN's Shelley Smith contributed to this report.

Eielson
7/30/2009, 11:21 PM
Repeat.

JLEW1818
7/30/2009, 11:44 PM
if healthy, zero questions asked.... and let me remind yall.. Phil wins titles in sets of 3s.... just saying

SanJoaquinSooner
8/4/2009, 05:41 PM
blake griffin and co. play the lakers in their first game of the regular season.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/4/2009, 05:42 PM
The kings play at OKC to open their seasons

JLEW1818
8/4/2009, 09:24 PM
zero national tv games for the rockets..ahha wow

Eielson
8/4/2009, 09:45 PM
zero national tv games for the rockets..ahha wow

Well, you can watch them when they play the Thunder. :P

JLEW1818
8/5/2009, 12:55 PM
the Lakers get their first 17 of 21 games at home...hmmmmmmmm

some say, well they will have to play more road games later?? not the point

Not true, having more home games early means that the team has a chance to develop chemistry, and they are more likely to win which means with each game they'll gain confidence. By the time they hit the away games they will have already developed that chemistry so they are less likely to implode.

JLEW1818
8/5/2009, 04:16 PM
and they get the clippers twice.. which is basically a home game

Eielson
8/5/2009, 04:50 PM
the Lakers get their first 17 of 21 games at home...hmmmmmmmm

some say, well they will have to play more road games later?? not the point

Not true, having more home games early means that the team has a chance to develop chemistry, and they are more likely to win which means with each game they'll gain confidence. By the time they hit the away games they will have already developed that chemistry so they are less likely to implode.

Seriously? Everybody has the same amount of home games, so they aren't getting any favors. Are we seriously talking about confidence and chemistry for the defending NBA Champs? Even if they did have bad chemistry and low confidence, this isn't going to magically cure it. Confidence is the most overrating thing in basketball, and maybe all of sports. Chemistry is going to develop on the road or at home. Wasn't this the best road team last season, anyway?

I'd rather have the home games later in the season. It's going to keep your team a little fresher and have more of an impact than this confidence and chemistry crap. Neither really matters, though. It's not going to be the difference in winning a championship and not.

JLEW1818
8/5/2009, 05:07 PM
Ron Artest

do most teams play better at home? yes

will that give more time for Ron to adjust to the lakers? yes, b/c they are playing mostly home games.

huge advantage having your first 17 of your first 21 games at home... and don't tell me that's just how it happened. the NBA took part in this. '

and yes it could be the difference in winning a championship. the lakers will start off probably, 18-3, and cruise through the schedule... 65-70 wins. if they start off hot, they can take home court throughout the playoffs, not just the west.

what if their first 17 of 21 were on the road? it could hurt way more, b/c they would not start off as good.

JLEW1818
8/5/2009, 05:12 PM
Of course they get a huge home court start. Its like giving your golden goose a 1 mile lead on the field so you can call them the best when surprisingly you give them all of the home games in the early part of the season of course they should have the best record. It insures no matter what happens any fall off in the latter part doesn't have enough momentum to not take them out of the first place rankings or into the lower playoff rungs. This league is rigged and proven every single year over the past years.

Eielson
8/5/2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paranoia

JLEW1818
8/5/2009, 07:55 PM
ohh good one

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 01:45 PM
WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Boston Celtics are bringing back Glen "Big Baby" Davis.

The Celtics announced Monday that they've re-signed the power forward to a new deal. It's reportedly for two years.

Davis, a two-year pro out of Louisiana State, was a restricted free agent.

After averaging seven points per game during the regular season, the 6-foot-9, 289-pound forward emerged in the playoffs, improving to 15.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 07:44 PM
I dunno if yall know who Von Wafer is or not, but he played for the Rockets last year... the dude is going to play in Italy ... what a POS... who leaves the NBA seriously?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=173168

Eielson
8/10/2009, 09:00 PM
He was a beast at Florida State. He's just going to a better team.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:02 PM
i would never leave the NBA for Italy tho... hahaha

Eielson
8/10/2009, 09:06 PM
He isn't get a ton of respect in the NBA, and he probably never would. If the money is better, I'd go to Italy for a few years. In the end, all he'd ever really be able to say is "I played in the NBA." He wouldn't ever be able to say anything more. Perhaps he can learn something overseas.

JLEW1818
8/10/2009, 09:07 PM
he helped the Rockets out a bunch, or at least i thought so....

he could still have an NBA career, and get a couple million a year... not horrible...

i wonder what the Italians will think about his Von Hawk

It's the NBA tho... not just some other league

Eielson
8/10/2009, 09:52 PM
It's the NBA tho... not just some other league

And he's been there. If he wants to be anything more than just some bench player, a couple years overseas is probably what is going to give him the best chance at that. I expect more people like him to start taking these contracts.

Scott D
8/10/2009, 09:54 PM
I dunno if yall know who Von Wafer is or not, but he played for the Rockets last year... the dude is going to play in Italy ... what a POS... who leaves the NBA seriously?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=173168

apparently Kleisa leaves the NBA for Greece.

Eielson
8/11/2009, 10:19 PM
apparently Kleisa leaves the NBA for Greece.

I'm still ticked about that Missouri game. :mad:

JLEW1818
8/11/2009, 10:34 PM
E

give me your top 4 West, and top 4 East