PDA

View Full Version : instructions on how to legally saw-off...

adoniijahsooner
7/1/2009, 10:31 AM
shotgun barrel. trying to go from 28 inches on my maverick to 18.5; for the purpose of home defense.

Boomer Mooner
7/1/2009, 11:05 AM
Cut it at 20" so there is no question on the length. Um, make sure it's unloaded first too. Just sayin'.

adoniijahsooner
7/1/2009, 11:32 AM
Cut it at 20" so there is no question on the length. Um, make sure it's unloaded first too. Just sayin'.

is it better to use a hacksaw or pipe cutter?

Boomer Mooner
7/1/2009, 11:52 AM
Is the barrel tapered at all? You may find a pipe cutter won't work if there is any taper at all. The problem with a hacksaw is getting a good straight cut so if you go this route I would use a miter box.

adoniijahsooner
7/1/2009, 12:03 PM
Is the barrel tapered at all? You may find a pipe cutter won't work if there is any taper at all. The problem with a hacksaw is getting a good straight cut so if you go this route I would use a miter box.

Thanks. I think i'll go the hacksaw and miter box route.

StoopTroup
7/1/2009, 12:04 PM
Use a Chop saw and then use a dremel to smooth off the burrs.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/M0510_lg.jpg

Boomer Mooner
7/1/2009, 01:03 PM
Use a Chop saw and then use a dremel to smooth off the burrs.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/M0510_lg.jpg

Sounds like the voice of experience!

I still prefer a handgun for home defense. Shotguns are way too messy unless you catch them in the garage or on the tile floor.:pop:

adoniijahsooner
7/1/2009, 01:33 PM

I still prefer a handgun for home defense. Shotguns are way too messy unless you catch them in the garage or on the tile floor.:pop:

Speaking from experience:D ? Splattering a persons noogin all over the living room wall may be a bit nasty, but its effective; and it's likely after hearing the universal sound of dont **** with me, they may leave without incident. I have a Ruger P95 , but Id rather get up close and intimate with a sawed-off 12 gauge.

I don't have access to a chop saw. It may be cheaper to just purchase a smaller barrel.

adoniijahsooner
7/1/2009, 01:39 PM
I changed my mind; I just googled shotgun wounds to the face and nearly vomited. My 9mm will do just fine.

Boomer Mooner
7/1/2009, 01:44 PM
No experience here, thank God.

There is a lot to be said about the intimidation factor of a shotgun. I know an Oklahoma State Trooper that was called to a bar in the boondocks in eastern OK somewhere. He and another officer went into the bar and things got hostile enough they pulled their sidearms. He said things were far from under control when another officer came in with a shotgun and the presence of the shotgun changed the climate immediately.

A hack saw and miter box is cheaper than a new bbl. Having said that, depending on the make and model, you may be better off buying another bbl. It sounds like you have a pump. If it's a Remington 870 or a Mossberg you may be able to find one cheap. Bbls can be shipped to your door too, unlike a whole firearm.

OUDoc
7/1/2009, 02:41 PM
I changed my mind; I just googled shotgun wounds to the face and nearly vomited. My 9mm will do just fine.

Don't shoot him in the face.

StoopTroup
7/1/2009, 02:44 PM

It wouldn't be that bad...lol :pop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqYRoTac34

StoopTroup
7/1/2009, 02:47 PM
Another one....LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqYRoTac34

StoopTroup
7/1/2009, 02:52 PM
meUmkpFIGIw&NR=1

Boomer Mooner
7/1/2009, 02:56 PM
Don't shoot him in the face.

and if you go for center mass they sure as hell won't have the guts to come back for more...

Boomer Mooner
7/1/2009, 03:54 PM
meUmkpFIGIw&NR=1

"Hol' my beer an' wachthi****"

Oldnslo
7/1/2009, 04:17 PM
What kind of situation are you going to defend against? A sawed off shotgun is great if you're on the other side of the room from d00d, but if a guy has your daughter in a headlock, a sawed off shotgun isn't the right tool for the job.

JLEW1818
7/1/2009, 04:18 PM
ask Obama... I'm sure he knows a lot about guns and such

AlbqSooner
7/1/2009, 08:21 PM
Oldnslo raises a good point. Since I live alone, I keep a 12 Smith and Wesson with an 18 1/4 in barrel at my bedside. I may not be the best shot, but that thing will cover an entire hallway.

Also, there is something about the sound of racking a round into the chamber of a pump shotgun that tends to intimidate even the baddest of bad guys.

StoopTroup
7/1/2009, 08:44 PM
What kind of situation are you going to defend against? A sawed off shotgun is great if you're on the other side of the room from d00d, but if a guy has your daughter in a headlock, a sawed off shotgun isn't the right tool for the job.

Right....that's when I hit him in the face with the butt of the shotgun.

MR2-Sooner86
7/2/2009, 12:59 AM

Obama knows as much about guns as Elton John knows about a woman's vagina.

Anyway, what's with this "legal" stuff on sawing off shotguns? Everybody I know who has sawed off a shotgun has cut it up as much as they could. This also includes a couple of cops I know.

JLEW1818
7/2/2009, 02:49 AM

Anyway, what's with this "legal" stuff on sawing off shotguns? Everybody I know who has sawed off a shotgun has cut it up as much as they could. This also includes a couple of cops I know.

that could be the post of the year!!!!!!:hot: :hot: :hot:

Boomer Mooner
7/2/2009, 07:33 AM

Federal law requires shotgun bbls to be at least 18" and if you get caught with one shorter than that you are looking at time in the Federal Pen, and they don't even joke around about it. The whole Ruby Ridge thing started when Weaver cut a shotgun bbl shorter than 18" for an undercover federal agent.

And the really stupid thing about it is, the only real difference between an 18" bbl and say a 14" bbl, other than the jail time, is it's slightly easier to shoot yourself with the 14" bbl. Shorter than 18" and you aren't looking to spread your shot pattern, it's about concealment.

Sawed off shotguns are really bad juju in my opinion. If you're close enough for a SO shotgun to be effective, you're in good pistol range.

KABOOKIE
7/2/2009, 08:39 AM
The problem with pistols for home defense is you're liable to kill someone in the other rooms of the house. Also, they're incredibly inaccurate when you’re shaking in your boots.

adoniijahsooner
7/2/2009, 08:44 AM
The problem with pistols for home defense is you're liable to kill someone in the other rooms of the house. Also, they're incredibly inaccurate when you’re shaking in your boots.

that's my concern. Got 4 little ones.

Boomer Mooner
7/2/2009, 09:06 AM
.380, frangible ammo, laser sights. Oh, and practice!

adoniijahsooner
7/2/2009, 09:19 AM
I go 2 the range once a month; but may cut back due the shortage in ammo. when i first went shooting i was scared as ****; but after 100 rounds, my nervousness went away and im actually pretty good with my 9mm. Ive thought about getting a 380 or 22, but afraid of the lack of stopping power.

Boomer Mooner
7/2/2009, 09:44 AM
Really the 9mm with frangible ammo should stop in the walls. .22 isn't as bad a way to go as a lot of people think. Very little recoil, even in a pistol, cheap ammo so you can practice a lot, and not nearly as bad at killing people as you might think. A .22 is probably not going to exit in a torso or head shot, meaning all the energy will be expended in the target. Just don't stop pulling the trigger until they hit the ground.

Your ability to hit what you're shooting at is more important than any other single factor in my opinion, and you can learn to hit very well very quickly with a lower recoil caliber.

Echoes
7/2/2009, 09:50 AM

Way to take a normal thread and turn it political. Nice. You know how everyone around here says that political threads spill all over other threads everywhere? You're that guy that causes that to happen.