PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR driver: how difficult can it be?

Jacie
6/30/2009, 06:18 PM
I don't know why but two drivers, Joe Nemechek and Dave Blaney continue to baffle me.

Between them they've started 27 races this year and finished all of . . . 3.

Inspite of that, they have earned over $1,000,000 apiece in winnings.

Can Danica Patrick do any worse? Could you? Could I?

Hell people, a teenager won a Sprint Cup race!

How difficult can it be?

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/30/2009, 07:58 PM
Yes but you also have to realize the the Nemechek's and Blaney's of the world also don't have the ownership structure of big teams so that 1M$ is probably mostly going back in to the car and related things. That teenager has probably been racing since he was 6. By this same logic, shouldn't we all be drafted in the NBA since an 18 year old was drafted 5th...I mean how difficult can it be.

Scott D
6/30/2009, 08:13 PM
nascar is hard...it can drive you to do meth...then deny that you do meth.

Jacie
6/30/2009, 08:22 PM
Yes but you also have to realize the the Nemechek's and Blaney's of the world also don't have the ownership structure of big teams so that 1M$ is probably mostly going back in to the car and related things. That teenager has probably been racing since he was 6. By this same logic, shouldn't we all be drafted in the NBA since an 18 year old was drafted 5th...I mean how difficult can it be.

Players in the NBA have to be able to shoot, rebound, dribble, run up and down a court.

All Joe and Dave do is drive (and based on results badly at that) a few laps per race.

GrapevineSooner
7/1/2009, 11:36 AM
Yep, the Nemechek's and the Blaney's are simply putting all their efforts in putting their cars into qualifying trim so they can shoot for the pole.

Then when they do, they run a few laps then park the car for the race. Which is something Nascar doesn't particularly like, but with the economics of the sport, it's what these smaller teams are reduced to doing.

Which is no wonder Jeremy Mayfield smoked himself the blue stuff.